Start by marking “The Dark” as Want to Read:
The Dark

The Dark

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  10,430 ratings  ·  1,496 reviews
Laszlo is afraid of the dark. The dark is not afraid of Laszlo.

Laszlo lives in a house. The dark lives in the basement.

One night, the dark comes upstairs to Laszlo's room, and Laszlo goes down to the basement.

This is the story of how Laszlo stops being afraid of the dark.
Published April 2nd 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Dark, please sign up.
Lynley I doubt he's really all alone -- the aim is to show that he 'feels' alone. Likewise, he probably doesn't really live in that huge mansion with little…moreI doubt he's really all alone -- the aim is to show that he 'feels' alone. Likewise, he probably doesn't really live in that huge mansion with little in the way of soft furnishings. This is the metaphorical 'cold house' of our dreams, more like a medieval castle than like a loving home. But when you're small and you have anxieties, even a warm home can feel unwelcoming. So the house is depicted in this book as something from a dreamworld. And in that kind of dreamworld there is no loving adult to help you.(less)

·  10,430 ratings  ·  1,496 reviews

Start your review of The Dark
Raeleen Lemay
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm obsessed with Jon Klassen's illustrations! And this story was cute and very ominous (in other words, very Lemony Snicket). It was great!
Betsy
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
You do not know the temptation I am fighting right now to begin this review with some grandiose statement equating a fear of the dark with a fear of death itself. You have my full permission to slap me upside the head if I start off my childrens books reviews with something that bigheaded. The whole reason I was going to do it at all is that after reading a book like Lemony Snickets The Dark I find myself wondering about kids and their fears. Most childhood fears tap into the weird id (see, here ...more
David Schaafsma
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. Elegant, surprising, clever, witty. Loved the simple story, loved the art. Kids like sillier ones. This one deals cleverly with fear of the dark; kids would rather read about clowns. But I loved this one.
AleJandra
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mi calificación: 5 ESTRELLAS
Calificación de mi hija: 3 ESTRELLAS
"Without a closet, you would have nowhere to put your shoes, and without a shower curtain, you would splash water all over the bathroom, and without the dark, everything would be light, and you never know if you needed a lightbulb."

description

La mayoría de libros infantiles que tocan el tema del miedo, lo hacen de la misma forma; con imágenes coloridas, historias divertidas y que tienen como mensaje, enseñarnos que debemos ser valientes y
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing

You might be afraid of the dark, but the dark is not afraid of you. Thats why the dark is always close by.

Lemony Snicket and Jon Klassen were put on this Earth to make books together. Two authors with styles and skills that complement each other in an oh-my-oh-my the world is a wonderful place after all kind of way. Pure magic! A collaboration that captures Laszlos late night chat with the dark perfectly.

Our tale comes to life with natural, stark, stripped down to the heart of the matter pages
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My sister gave this to me for christmas and I'm so glad she did, because I loved it! A simple but powerful story about overcoming your fears. I think that I will always love and appreciate Lemony Snicket's work and I'm happy that I got the chance to read this little book.
Calista
Reading to my niece and nephew a lot has really given me a new appreciation for Children's books. They can be great stories in their own right. They are filled with art and wisdom and usually with heart. You can read them in 10 minutes or so. They are perfect for a busy life in many ways. Some are too simple and some are fit for all ages. I think I'm addicted to children's books and this little book is one of those reasons.

This book is fantastic. The art blended with the story is out of this
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I figured this would be cute, but I didn't expect to love it so much? First of all, this is such a perfect read-aloud title! The Dark's voice is described right off the bat as being creaky and cold, so I tried it out on my three-year-old to make sure it wasn't too creepy, but he just got the giggles. I was super afraid of the dark as a kid and would've loved this book then, too. As someone who grew up on Snicket's sense of humor, I was happy to see it woven through this story, even if it was ...more
Ariel
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lemony Snicket, guys. He gets me. He really gets me. This book was incredibly straightforward and prefect. Even though every page only has a few words, Snicket told me a complete story and made me feel for the main character and made me understand what he overcame. Beautiful.

And Jon Klassen's art! It worked perfectly with this story. The main character is the cutest thing ever, and the use of black space was outstanding. Glorious.
Melki
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidstuff
description

Well...maybe not cookies, but The Dark DOES have something young Laszlo needs...if only he can conquer his fear and venture to that SCARY BASEMENT where The Dark lives.

Graphically, this book is perfect. The story is cute, but it did leave me wondering (view spoiler)
Shannon
I didn't like this : (

And I realize I'm not the intended audience for this book, but I've read picture books as an adult that have made me laugh and even cry, this just wasn't one that touched me in any way.

I wasn't afraid of the dark when I was a kid; my room was in the basement. The illustrations weren't anything special, there wasn't much story beyond "there's no reason to be afraid of the dark," and the writing wasn't particularly clever.

One thing though, if you have a kid struggling with
Jonathan
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Have read this about 30 times with my nearly-3-year-old son and we both love it. Just the right side of scary, full of sentences almost poetic in their beauty, and wonderful illustrations.

Jessica
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A strange and just slightly creepy story, with an ending that will relieve small children and make them see the dark as surprisingly friendly. What really elevates the story, though, is the pictures. I mean, of course they do, it's Jon Klassen! The illustrations are beautiful! My kids love this book, and it's a great read aloud.
C.G. Drews
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's Lemony Snicket, that's for sure. So therefore...I LIKE IT. I wouldn't read it to my kids though (which I don't have any, thank goodness, me being a kid myself and all). Only Lemony Snicket could write a book that is really creepy and sweet at the same time. I'm glad Laszlo survived. I also pity him for being named Laszlo (that's very Snicketish, I suppose).

My favourite part is Lemony Snicket's bio at the end:

LEMONY SNICKET has been accused of leaving his readers in the dark. He is the
Ronyell
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lemony Snicket Fans!!!
Dark

Now, I will admit that I have not read any of Lemony Snickets works before (not even his famous A Series of Unfortunate Events series), so consider Lemony Snickets childrens book The Dark, along with illustrations by Jon Klassen to be my first book that I had read from Lemony Snicket and I must say that I really enjoyed this book!

In this book, a young boy named Laszlo was afraid of the dark, even though the dark was not afraid of him. One night, Laszlos night light goes out and the dark suddenly
Teresa
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
The drawings are beautiful and I even felt creeped out by them, when it was appropriate to, as the boy makes his way through the dark house. (Don't worry about him: he has a flashlight.) The text is great and because I am a words-person and not a visual one, the last sentence at the bottom of the only page that is all words had me smiling and paging back to spot something very important that I'd missed, of course, in one of the illustrations. Then my smile got even bigger as I saw the smile of ...more
Kaethe Douglas
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Perfect pairing of author and illustrator, where each really enlarges the work of the other. Perfect.

The audio book is also fabulous, for those with really young kids who might enjoy hearing it read repeatedly.

Library copy.
SonOfYork
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Something different from my regular routine of taking on books of a more mammoth scale.

This was by far one of the best short reads I have ever read, one that does credit to the fame and reputation of its author.

This story is dark but endearing and the illustrations are top class!
Nicola
Jun 15, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a book that I picked up on a whim whilst browsing the graphic novel shelves in the library. I'm a huge fan of Lemony Snicket so I knew straight away that I had to read it.

It's for children, so I'm not the intended audience, but it was very cute. I didn't have an emotional connection with it but that probably would have been different if I had a fear of the dark when I was young. I would say that this is a great choice of book if you have a child who is afraid of the dark as it might
Hannah Garden
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dear Mr. Snicket,

Please hire me to live in your work studio and sit in the corner, listening to you read your clever creepy creaky comforting stories to the brilliant artists you work with. I promise to laugh at all the funny parts, pay loads of attention to your pets, and clean up the crumbs from my jam biscuits.

Yours truly,

Professor Hannah K. Messler
The De-Ontology Department
Out-of-Doors

Addendum:

Here is something I always wish: You know how at the museum, next to the art, there are little
Nick Swarbrick
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
A very clever book at all sorts of levels. The absence of adults - to the point where the child protagonist is in charge of the house, it seems - and the personification of the dark give this a real edge. The design is stunning - simple pictures with minimal text until one climactic page - and really is part of the storytelling. The characterisation of Laszlo whose face begs so many questions - is it blank, or absorbed or panicky? - is identifiable, and the text is both sparing in detail and ...more
K.
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
... without the dark, everything would be light, and you would never know if you needed a lightbulb.
Wise words.

I adore Klassen's art. My reviews of his projects are just repetitious little ditties of love. There's just something about it that makes me so happy, like a bright little star inside my chest. Even when he is illustrating an anthropomorphic version of darkness (or maybe especially when he's doing that, who knows? Not this lady).
Cheryl
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actually my second read. The first time, iirc, I thought it was interesting, might help kids who are afraid of the dark, good mentor text for personification. This time I was all 'Whoa. Intense.' I mean, some kids who weren't scared of the dark now will be. Take care; know your child! But well done, kudos to the creators for what should become a classic.
Aryana Parmar
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Strange, strange story...
Stevie Finegan (SableCaught)
To watch my video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f9T2W...

Sometimes I read books for young adults, sometimes I read books for less young adults, sometimes I read books for adults so young, you might even say they were children, and young children at that.

When I saw a newly published picture book called The Dark, I knew I had to have it. The illustrations were inked out by the fantastic Jon Klassen, known for his wondrous I Want My Hat Back, and later, This is Not my Hat. And on top of
Katey Lovell
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
'You might be afraid of the dark, but the dark is not afraid of you. That's why the dark is always close by'...

This glorious hardback children's book made my stomach lurch the first time I saw it. Something about the cover made me want to cry. It depicts a boy (who is revealed in the text as Laszlo) standing nervously at the top of a staircase peering into looming darkness. Something about Jon Klassen's eloquent illustrations reminds me of how it feels to be a child, and how it feels to be
Jason Smid
Laszlo is afraid of the dark. The dark is not afraid of Laszlo.

Laszlo lives in a house. The dark lives in the basement.

This is the story of how Laszlo stops being afraid of the dark.

I adore Lemony Snicket's unique writing style and was so excited to see his eerily endearing tone made its way into a picture book. The epic conflict between dark and light comes center stage in this personified version. The
Phil Ford
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I first saw this book displayed in a local book shop right before I was to guest teach a youth writing class (8-12 years). I was teaching horror writing; you know, zombies, vampires -- fun imaginative stuff like that. But the focus of my subject for the kids was to be environment, and how when writing horror fiction, environment is just as important as character, even in the sense that it really IS a character. Anyway, this children's book absolutely put me in the right mindset for the class. ...more
Jen (Book Den)
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Personally, I loved this book. It's a scary friggin' book. Is this really supposed to help children not be afraid of the dark, though? There's no way I would read this to my kids. They would spaz about the dark more than they already do.

"Hello," said the dark.

Said the who? O_O The dark. Just before luring the boy into the basement. Now, to be fair, the dark is a nice...whatever you would classify the dark as...but he also remains omnimous, creepy, and well, dark the entire time.

"Come closer,"
Jeremy West
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There isn't much more that needs to be said that the few words on the cover don't. I mean, it's Lemony Snicket, arguably one of the leading authors in books for young readers, and Jon Klassen, one of the best illustrators and storytellers of children's picture books, collaborating in a story about facing and overcoming fears. In Laszlo's case, the dark terrifies him. As the sun goes down, the dark creeps up slowly trapping him in his nightlight lit room. It isn't until he braves the dark, ...more
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book review 8 The Dark 1 5 Jan 30, 2015 03:28AM