Start by marking “Taking a Shot (Play by Play, #3)” as Want to Read:
Taking a Shot (Play by Play, #3)

Taking a Shot (Play-by-Play #3)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  16,991 Ratings  ·  893 Reviews
In the third installment in a new series from New York Times bestselling author Jaci Burton, pro hockey player Tyler Anderson helps Jenna Riley to start living for herself.

Listen to Taking a Shot on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Published 2012 by Tantor Media

To ask other readers questions about Taking a Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking a Shot

4-4 stars – Contemporary/Sports Erotic Romance

Thoughts Before Reading

OH HOLY &%@^*#$!!!! I’m feeling very parched and suddenly thirsting for a sexy, salty, sweaty Studtastic man chest!!!! And looking oh so HOT in unbuttoned, perfectly fitted, crotch-hugging, low-slung faded denim jeans, too?! *Be still my male fantasy lovin’ heart!*

Thoughts After Reading

I loved the first two books in the series, particularly The Perfect Play, and although I enjoyed this, it didn’t quite live up to thos
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the series; fans of erotic sports romances
Recommended to Auntee by: Catherine
I just love this series. Give me a hot, erotic sports romance with a feisty heroine, a sexy, swoon-worthy hero, plenty of spicy dialogue, some terrific female bonding moments, the return of characters from the previous books, and most of all...a decent story, and I'm going to be all over it!

In this third book of Jaci Burton's Play By Play series, youngest Riley sibling Jenna gets the HEA she is not looking for. Jenna's the bartender/manager of her family's St. Louis sports bar, taking over for h
Julie James
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED it!!! The previous book I'd read was a book club book that bored me, and TAKING A SHOT was such a breath of fresh air after that. I think Ty is my favorite of Jaci Burton's heroes, and that says a lot because I love her heroes. It was fun, hot (really hot!), and just a great book to sink into at the end of a hectic day.
Bobs (Reader Unbound)
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I just LOVE all the Play by Play covers, they’re so lickable.*wipes off computer screen*
And isn't that Jed Hill? I am in love all ready.! I swear the guy is too hot for his own good!
Oh-my-THUD...who is Jaci BRIBING in Berkely's cover art department?!?!?
Very enjoyable and I absolutely LOVED it!! In my opinion, the best book in the series. I understand that quite a few reviews have expressed their annoyance or dislike for Jenna, but once she explained herself, I was on board with her feelings. I had my issues with her too, but as I continued to read and the big picture presented itself, it made sense and I gave her my sympathy. She never once laid blame on Ty for anything and always reprimanded herself when her actions towards him were unaccepta ...more
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cont-romance
I'm so sorry because I really wanted to like this book but I just didn't. It took me forever to finish it and I just couldn't concentrate on the read for longer than a couple of hours. I'm not sure what it was, I didn't have a problem with neither of the characters nor did I actually hated anything I read... I guess it was that I just never clicked with any of them and the plot never really grabbed me.

Jenna Riley was the only one that frustrated me a bit and only because she used to be a charact
This one takes the cake in being the worst of the series. I cannot for the life of me, figure out why the female protagonist acts like she's an immature teenager for most of the entire book.

I cannot deal with her idiotic aversion to singing...yes...because she was rejected once. Good. God. I can't believe this kind of stupid plot device was accepted. So she got kicked out of the band ONCE and she gave up singing - didn't even decide to fight for her passion. Am I supposed to believe that a tough
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, sportmen
This was some incredible sex on ice, and I mean literally
Not really sure, i would try it though...LOL
But good read, anyway :D
Entretenido. Me ha gustado mucho más que el primero. El segundo todavía lo tengo pendiente, a ver si lo leo pronto.
Como es de imaginar, el peso de la relación lo lleva la atracción sexual entre ambos y no dejan de practicar El es un amor desde la página uno y hará que ella vaya dejando atrás sus miedos.
Muchas escenas con las parejas anteriores que son las amigas de la protagonista.
Creo que hay escenas que se me han hecho un poco repetitivas, pero en general una lectura hot, amena y entretenida
So… after reading Taking a Shot I think I might “take a break” from this series. While I really enjoyed the first two books in the series, Taking a Shot felt like the exact same story again but with less likeable characters. I mean this is a contemporary romance series so it should be expected that the stories would be somewhat formulaic but this was just too identical plot wise and it got a little distracting.

I think the thing that pulled me out of connecting to the story was that Jenna was an
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Loved it - definately worth it's 5 star rating....A well written good story with lots of graphic sex making it a very hot read :)
Toni Aleo
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it! it was a good book, really strong male lead, and I even liked Jenna sometimes. She was a little annoying but thats okay cause Ty made up for it. The only complaint I have is that this book is not lendable. For 10$, it should be. Just saying.
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fav-erotic, erotic, own, sexy, adult

Love Burton, Play by Play is a HOT series. Burton does not shy away from modern cuss words and her writing is sexy as hell. Definitely give this series a try.
Sam (AMNReader)
Jul 07, 2017 marked it as quitting-series  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports

DNF at 40%

It's OFFICIAL>>This book feels like a replica of the prior two with minor details changed (and actually the beginning felt fresh, Ty felt really different)

I got through the last one because of the sexy times. I quit this one partially due to the overuse of the word sexy. Go figure.

It's a total shame that this felt like it was borrowed from Burton's prior work because
I like Ty’s brand of alpha more than anything about this book. He’s so confident, he doesn’t flip when he sees Je
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
4.5 Stars

This review was posted at Under The Covers

If you thought this book only had a hot cover then you can think again. Jaci's Play by Play series has been blessed by the cover fairy but it also has some of the most perfect men in fiction history! There just isn't a thing wrong with them!!!

As the books before him, Ty is one hot male specimen as well as an all around nice, sweet guy. And he knows exactly how to make a woman happy. In and out of bed. *purrrrrr*

He's a big deal hockey player but
~♥~ happinesslife

Por fin he podido disfrutar de la tercera entrega de estos libros, la verdad es que a cada cual que leo me gusta más! Si no os habéis animado aún a leerlos, no dudéis en hacerlo ya!
Los Riley me tienen enamorada pero Tyler ha conquistado mi corazón, es un deportista nato que adoro el hockey sobre hielo, tiene un toque violento en los partidos pero cuando está con Jenna es de lo más cuidadoso y cariñoso. Me encanta como cuida de ella y piensa en sus sueños,
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Purchased last night and read about 8 Chapters...had to stop myself!!!
I didn't want to miss any of Ty's yummy goodness to sleepy eyes, but could not stop myself from starting this book. Ty is just so sweet and charming...and Jenna with her piercings and tat's is just not. I really like her personality though...

Having a father and 2 brothers totally addicted to sports/watching sports/talking sports, I choose a man who wasn't a sports fan...then what happens??? I have a son who eats, sleeps and br

Am loving this series. And this one didn't disappoint. In Taking a Shot we got Jenna (Mick and Gavin's sister) and Ty's story. Jenna, well i love hearing the sister story in family series, even though her stubbornness annoyed me, i loved it at the same time. Ty, well i wanna go watch me an ice hockey game and find me a Ty. He was so sweet and so hot! Did i mention he's hot?!?! I loved it. They both had a great background story of what was stopping them moving forward and for me when Jenna got to
Me ha gustado más que el primero, pero menos que el segundo; está en un lugar intermedio. Sobre todo me ha gustado Ty, Jenna me gustó más como secundaria en otros libros.
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads

Jenna Riley is running her family’s sports bar now that her dad is home resting after a health scare. She’s been surrounded by sports her whole life. She enjoyed playing sports, following her brother’s success in their professional sports careers and now she’s running a sports bar. The last thing she wants is to date a guy whose life revolves around sports. Or so she thinks. It’s hockey season and the Ice are in a playoff run, led by Tyler Anderson, who k
Smut Junkie
Oh, Jaci Burton, how you get my heart racing and falling in love with fictional characters!
It is a well known fact that I adore this series...honestly, this series got me started on my contemporary 'smut' kick, if I recall...

So this one is Jenna's story....Jenna is Mick and Gavin's sister. She is the know every family has one. So, while her brothers played sports and became professional athletes poor Jenna didn't have the courage to vocalize her dreams and desires and is instead stu
I know a lot of people like these books. They have some off the charts sexy heroes and downright steamy scenes

But this didn't work for me on a couple of levels. They start out already knowing one another, and you know from the beginning of the book that Ty wants more than just one night. So he has to convince Jenna to give him a chance. Yes, give the good looking hockey stud a shot. (pun intended) Anyways, her reasons for not wanting him come across as a wee bit contrived and there was never an
P.A. Lupton

I’m really disappointed with this book. I was irritated with the heroine all the way through the novel right up until the last 1%. If I heard her say “I don’t date guys who like or play sports” one more time I was going to strangle her. You might as well say I don’t date guys with a penis. I haven’t met many who don’t like or play sports. Besides, am I the only one who finds that superficial? Here you have a great guy with a great job who is good to you, but you’re going to hold something he lov
TAKING A SHOT, the third book in this more-than-sexy-times, oops it's erotica, sports romance series, had the most potential in an otherwise mostly frustrating series of books. I was completely, and delightfully, surprised by how much I enjoyed the first 30%. Which made the complete lack of follow through, the merry go round of annoying bullshit to then endure for the last 70%, wasting all that good potential, really frustrating.

But. I said I would finish the first three books, thereby completin
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Para mi gusto es el más diferente hasta ahora de la serie ¡y con un Tyler Anderson que no esperaba para nada!
Reseña completa:
3 stars.

Meh. Another "skimmer" from Jaci Burton. Ty was hot and perfect. Jenna was annoying with her constant pushing him away and to-ing and fro-ing. The sex was awesome as is usual for a JB book.

Still though, quite corny and ordinary. Give me an SEP sports romance any day.
Para mí este es el mejor de toda la serie y la historia de amor entre ellos dos, la que más me gusta. Jenna es de armas tomar, pero Ty no se queda atrás. Le doy un 3,5. No sé qué tienen los jugadores de hockey...
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing like a hot contemporary read! Loved it!
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
This TWO-fer review posted at Guilty Pleasures

DiDi's Thoughts:

Growing up with two hot shot jocks and in a family that runs a sports bar, has caused Jenna to enforce a "Don't date athletes" policy. This dating policy makes her love life dismal at best because she now runs the family bar. Jenna does not have a hard time resisting jocks UNTIL uber sexy Tyler Anderson walks in the bar. For months Jenna gives Tyler the same cold s
The Happy Housewi...: Taking a Shot (Play by Play #3) 2 10 Aug 19, 2014 07:51AM
  • Jacked Up (Fast Track, #6)
  • Time Out
  • Game for Seduction (Bad Boys of Football, #2)
  • Strike Zone (Richmond Rogues, #3)
  • One Man Advantage (Heller Brothers, #3)
  • Breakaway (New York Blades, #9)
  • Hot Under Pressure (Rising Star Chef, #3; Recipe for Love, #6)
  • Trying to Score (Assassins, #2)
  • One Night Rodeo (Blacktop Cowboys, #4)
  • The Game of Love
  • Line of Scrimmage
Jaci Burton is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling, award-winning author of over 70 books. She lives in Oklahoma and when she isn’t on deadline (which is often), she can usually be found wrestling with her uncooperative garden, wrangling her dogs, watching an unhealthy amount of television, or completely losing track of time reading a great book. She’s a total romantic and longs for the hap ...more
More about Jaci Burton...

Play-by-Play (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Perfect Play (Play by Play, #1)
  • Changing the Game (Play by Play, #2)
  • Playing to Win (Play by Play, #4)
  • Thrown by a Curve (Play by Play, #5)
  • One Sweet Ride (Play by Play, #6)
  • Melting the Ice (Play by Play, #7)
  • Straddling the Line (Play by Play, #8)
  • Quarterback Draw (Play by Play, #9)
  • All Wound Up (Play by Play, #10)
  • Unexpected Rush (Play by Play, #11)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Buried (Bone Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Mess (Broken #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • One More Night (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
“It's in our genetics. It's why women are the master species. We give birth and we can walk in heels.” 38 likes
“That’s what love is all about, babe. Forgiveness.” 18 likes