Start by marking “Flight 1-2-3” as Want to Read:
Flight 1-2-3

Flight 1-2-3

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  186 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
What can you see when you go on an airplane journey? 1 airplane, 2 luggage carts, 3 check-in counters, and so much more! Using familiar airport signs, this striking book introduces little ones not only to numbers, but to the world around them. Equally suitable for the transportation-obsessed as well as any child learning to count, this fresh and dynamic picture book follow ...more
Published March 12th 2013 by Chronicle Books (first published January 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Flight 1-2-3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight 1-2-3

Michael Rudzki
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting! I couldn't put it down!
Edie
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A celebration of symbols, especially those at airports with visually striking images that will appeal to all ages. Bold colors help to keep the reader's attention and maximize the theme of each page, be it luggage carts or food service or airport gates. And it is also a counting book if the reader is so inclined. The relationship of the numbers to what is to be counted is rather subtle, adding to the appeal.
Adrianna Laskowski
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Caitlinleah
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
I LOVE this book SO MUCH. I love the modern illustrations with real airport symbols. It has a ton of plot for a counting book. It's a lovely book to foster a love of traveling. I'll admit- the last page makes me a little teary. This book makes me want to take my baby on airplanes, which is saying A LOT.
Craigd
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's amazing how a book with so few words and simple pictures can convey the absolute misery of traveling by air today.
Kelly
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really, really neat book about taking an airline flight. A must for any child who will be going to an airport.
Michelle
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good board book for babies
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This is a counting book that shows what happens when you go on an airplane. It starts off by doing one number at a time: 1 airport, 2 luggage carts, etc. Then once the book gets to 10 gates it jumps to 100 seat belts and then some other random “airplane” numbers. Then it goes back down to “One happy meeting” with the grandparents at the end of the airplane trip.

This is a fun story that not only explains bits and pieces of what happens on a airplane trip but also goes through various numbers. Kid
Cindy Hudson
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Flight 1-2-3 by Maria van Lieshout is a great picture book to give to kids before going on a trip that involves an airplane. Each page covers some part of the trip plus a number. At the beginning it asks the question, “When taking a flight, what do you see?” The answers go from 1 to 10 for things like the airport, the escalators, check-in desks and airplane gates. It also goes to higher numbers that engage the imagination of young children, like “100 fastened seat belts” and “a million places to ...more
Jennifer Walizer
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Summary:
Flight 1-2-3 by Maria van Lieshout is a counting concept book that goes around the theme of an airport. It begins with counting different items that you would come across at an airport, starting from the number one counting up to the number ten and including the number 100. Then the last couple pages discuss the amount of miles, kilometers, feet, and meters are traveled to the destination.
Classroom Connections:
This would be a great book to have in a preschool room. It is a great way to i
Erin
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2y, 3y, childrens
I checked this book out for my plane/train obsessed little boy, and he is predictably a big fan. This counting story takes a family through the entire airport experience, from 1 airport sign as they arrive, to 6 security officers, to 33,000 feet in the sky. The book incorporates the signs for each of these things (picture the men/women restroom sign, food court signs and so on) which could be fun for an older child to play a game of I Spy with. For my almost-three-year-old the signs are a little ...more
Tasha
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Take a ride on a plane in this follow-up to Backseat A-B-See! The trip begins with a cab ride to the airport and asks readers what they see. There is 1 airport, 2 luggage carts, 3 check-in desks, and the book progresses to very large numbers, like 100 passengers and 33,000 feet. Van Lieshout uses all of the official signage you see around the airport to inspire her art. Those signs are on each page, right next to the numbers to help with counting. The characters too have a graphic, sign-like qua ...more
Barbara
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
While I love the airport setting for this counting book and would have found it helpful to have it with me the first time I tried to navigate an airport, I found some of the illustrations confusing with too many objects for young readers to count without becoming distracted. For instance, there are three suitcases, three check-in desks, three clerks, and three families checking in to represent three, but there's one self-check kiosk. If adults and young readers are sharing the book, they can hav ...more
Teresa
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This clever book is right up there with Byron Barton's Airport, but in a very modern and stylish way. As families read this, kids can learn about the meanings of those cryptic international symbols, and most of the people in the book are those stylized figures, posed in various position--funny! Also, alert counters will notice that besides the named item to count, many of the other items on the page are also the same number, or subsets or multiples of it. I can see lots of discussions around the ...more
Emilia P
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-stuff
Although it doesn't work quite as well as Backseat ABSee, since the numbers chosen are a bit more arbitrary, it's still really fun. 6 security guards. 9 people waiting for the bathroom (the little dude at the center of the tale is doing the potty dance). 100 people on the plane. Grandma and grandpa are waiting on the other end. That was lovely. :) But yeah, using the visual language and designated font of airports worldwide is both cool and effective and a really good learning opportunity for th ...more
Miriam
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because it can be used with the very youngest air travellers (something there's constant demand for in a public library)but has enough satisfying detail to keep the attention of older siblings, as well. The graphic design is clean, clear and attractive. Reading it feels, in fact, like an idealized trip to the airport-almost as if going through security was a relaxing experience devised for our amusement...
The Styling Librarian
Flight 1-2-3 by Maria van Lieshout – quite thrilled to get a new counting book for the library collection. There will be students inquiring into signs and symbols next year in my Year 2/1st grade class and this book is packed with them! Additionally, we have a student population where most of the children are traveling all over the place, they are used to being on planes and will be quite excited to read a counting book that has to do with travelling.
Gayle
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
This is a perfect little book to tuck into a carry-on bag for a flight with a toddler or preschooler. Simple text, great illustrations, I love the style. My toddler son loves this book up to #10, he even tries to push the buttons on the "4 elevators" and he's obsessed with all of the suitcases. After 10, he doesn't really get the bigger numbers and concepts, but an older child who understands that they're (for example) flying very far to visit grandparents would get it.
TRAM School
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was helpful, it showed up signs and I know what they mean! I think I've flown maybe one,two,three, four, five, six, seven, eight...fourteen times, in five countries, and I see signs like this a lot. This book was colorful and VERY good. We did find another book that was supposed to be about airplanes, but it was just about Cowboys inside, and I did not like that one.

- A (5 yrs)
John
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: concept-counting
This counting book takes place in an airport. This would be great for readers who have traveled, and may give some incite to those children who haven't. One very interesting thing is that the text appears as the signs in the airport so it almost seems wordless on the first 10 pages. Great illustrations!
Sylvester
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
3* art
4* concept

We're going on a trip, so I read this to Squirt twice a day and talk about all the things we will see and do at the airport and on the airplane. I don't know how much he understands, but I hope to prepare him as much as possible. It's a great book for this - gives lots of opportunity for conversation.
Janet
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
The graphic stylistic illustrations is totally appropriate for show casing airport signage. This is also a counting book. And it has a storyline conveyed within the illustrations about a family with a young child going to the airport, making a trip and meeting important people at the end of the flight. Depicts the routine of going on a flight. Job well done.
Mary
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Like the author's other book Backseat A-B-C, this book uses internationally recognized signage to teach a concept. In this case, signs that one might expect to see in an airport are used to teach number recognition and counting. A good book to teach young kids not only about signs and counting, but also what to expect at the airport.
Margie
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
We take them for granted but they've been guiding us for decades. Maria van Lieshout points out the signs we might see around an airport. Simple enough for very young readers but enjoyable enough for all ages, this book is perfect in design, layout and delivery.

My full review: http://bit.ly/1cL0pPJ
Manidipa Mandal
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great book for travelling with, of reading before a trip, with younger children. Teaches numbers/counting and common aviation symbols as well as outlining what happens/happened/will happen at the airport.
Lara
Simple, cute book based around the signs you might see in the airport. Kids interested in airplanes and transportation books will probably enjoy this one, and I can imagine it being especially great for a child to have with him or her on a first airplane ride.
The Library Lady
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This isn't THE book for parents wanting a "going on a plane" book, but it does show a lot of what children taking a plane trip will see on the way to that flight. The bold graphics are outstanding and this also doubles as a counting book, so it's all in all a great package.
Chrystal
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Lots of colors and symbols that any child who had been on a trip in an airplane might know. Also nice, the inclusion of counting and numerical value. Though this was a little more advanced than the age I teach, the kids really enjoyed the planes;)
Kathleen
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book for kids who like planes, but as a counting book it's a bit difficult since there is so much going on in each illustration.

Also, for the 5 trashcans, how many people actually try to bring scissors and baseball bats?
Becky
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another wonderful children's picture book by van Lieshout! If you are getting ready to take your young ones on a plane trip - this would be the perfect way to prepare them. In a simple style, the author takes you on a trip through the airport, into the airplane, and back home again. Great read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Inside Outside
  • Round Is a Tortilla: A Book of Shapes
  • 123 versus ABC
  • Bear and Bee
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Sing
  • Tea Party Rules
  • Bully
  • Giant Dance Party
  • Have You Seen My Dragon?
I was born and raised in a small town near Amsterdam. As a kid, I loved reading, drawing and making up stories. When I was eight, I created my first book, filled with drawings of places in America I hoped to visit one day. A typical Dutch girl, I also loved anything to do with water.
I studied Communications Design at George Washington University in DC, and eventually became creative director at T