Start by marking “Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal” as Want to Read:
Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  12,851 ratings  ·  1,585 reviews
Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal follows the story of outcast high school senior Carson Phillips, who blackmails the most popular students in his school into contributing to his literary journal to bolster his college application; his goal in life is to get into Northwestern and eventually become the editor of The New Yorker. At once laugh-out-loud funny, d ...more
Published November 20th 2012 by Little Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Struck By Lightning, please sign up.
Patricialogan8 It does have a tragic ending but that does not take away from Chris' talent, the content prior to that was kind of funny in a sarcastic way, IMO I thi…moreIt does have a tragic ending but that does not take away from Chris' talent, the content prior to that was kind of funny in a sarcastic way, IMO I think this was parallel to a combination of Chris' life and a little bit of "Kurt's" since the role was created for Chris and for those who are not familiar with "Kurt" it was the character Chris played on Glee, with a few minor differences in Glee, Obviously music and drama was the stage, in this book it is journalism, Carson is not popular with classmates he has a tell it like it is attitude with the popular kids, which is composed of jocks, and cheerleaders, much like Glee, except the kids on Glee were a little kinder, "Kurt " had a superior attitude towards the popular kids, but inside felt very insecure, he was the only openly gay kid in the school and was ridiculed for it, and was often treated to a "slushie facial",. While Glee is one of my fave shows, and "Kurt" was my fave character, that and this book proved high school sucked for most people who were not deemed popular(less)
Emma 14 and up because there is a lot of cussing and other inappropriate things.

·  12,851 ratings  ·  1,585 reviews

Start your review of Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal
Aj the Ravenous Reader

“Youth is not an excuse for insanity!”

As usual, when I don’t expect much from a book, it’s when it surprises me in the most pleasant ways. Struck by Lightning was originally a screenplay and was thankfully developed into a novel written by Chris Colfer, the popular Glee actor.

The book is written in a journal format by Carson Phillips, an extremely smart and ambitious senior student who has only one aim-to get into Northwestern and leave his sad hometown through all means possible, even if
Stephanie (Stepping Out Of The Page)
Okay, I'll openly admit it, I was very wary of reading this book, simply because it was written by someone from Glee and I really don't like Glee. However, I wanted a quick read so I picked this one up and gave it a go. I'll be honest and say that I'm glad I gave this book a chance - though it was pretty much what I expected, I wasn't disappointed.

Struck By Lightning is the journal of Carson Phillips, a high school senior who is determined to get into Northwestern and become a top editor. Carson
Rachel Maniacup
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Rachel by: Aj the Ravenous Reader
This is a short book,written in a journal style (for an easy,quick read perhaps) of a very young talented author and an actor Chris Colfer. It is a story of an ambitious young man,who is desperately in need to get out of his small town,and wanted to go to Northwestern University to become the editor of The New Yorker.

Carson Phillips,the MC who is not really a likeable character because of his bitter attitude,would do any thing (even blackmailing the most popular students in his school into contr
Connie Tang
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I will be honest, I'm a huge fan of Chris Colfer, but I read this book trying to remain very unbiased.

For SBL the book (which by the way, the movie seems a lot better than the book and I'm extremely extremely excited for it).

This book is too obvious. It spells out exactly what the character is feeling and thinking, which makes sense for a journal-entry novel... but Carson, the main narrator also has such a remarkable clarity of how he's transformed that it's entirely too unrealistic. It rings f
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, read2018
Listened to this short YA book from Hoopla. I dunno, some weird early writer missteps especially that ending. And the main character is an outcast but SO pretentious and SUCH a bully that I had no empathy for him. I realized after starting that I’d seen the movie. My Newest Literary Fiction Group in GoodReads is focusing on YA this month so get ready!
Sabrina
Mar 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: good-message
When I found out that Chris Colfer wrote a book:

When I read said book:

That was not what I was expecting ... at all

But that's not saying I didn't like the book; on the contrary, I found myself really enjoying Colfer's book.

What I found surprising was the main character, Carson's overall ... douchiness (for lack of better words). He was well, most definitely not Kurt Hummel! He was conceited and so arragont and simply negative.

I loved him.

He was so genuine and I could visualize Carson roaming the
TL
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Not sure
Shelves: favorites
Original read April 2013
Re-read via audiobook August 2015

Meet Carson Phillips:

He doesn't hesitate to tell people what he thinks, is hardworking and very smart/goal-oriented. He can be a douche but there's something about him as well. Maybe not quite lovable or relatable but it's there.

His inner monologues had me laughing quite a bit and rolling my eyes.

Sometimes it can be a bit harsh and if he were my friend in real life he probably would have gotten a smack from time to time.

I love that Chris
Kyle G.
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was really funny and a little inappropriate, but it was still a good book
Thomas
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal by Chris Colfer details Carson Phillips' struggle to gain admission to the school of his dreams: Northwestern University. He absolutely abhors everyone in his small, narrow-minded town - everyone aside from his ailing grandmother and depressed mom. When he realizes that he needs to create a literary journal to bolster his chances of acceptance, he blackmails various people from myriad social groups to write for him.

I empathized with Carson. Trust
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I've been in a state of perpetual grief since Glee ended in March 2015, reading this book was supposed to help mend my broken heart and while it didn’t exactly heal me I did enjoy the reading experience.

I love Chris Colfer with all my heart so maybe I'm biased but I thought this book was great. It’s an entertaining, fast read that has a good balance of humour and depth. The main character, Carson Phillips, isn’t exactly a good person, but he’s relatable and brutally honest in a way that makes h
Lorythme
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazing
I’m sorry for all spelling mistakes as well as the grammar mistakes. I’ll correct them later. Also : SPOILER WARNING

So I got my copy of „ Struck by lightning- The Carson Philips journal” by Chris Colfer today and after aprox. 3-4 hours I finished it.

I love and adore Chris but like in my last comment I want to keep him out of the actual story, so I can judge it without problems. This was a little bit harder this time, since I knew that Carson is played by him. So all the time when I imagined Cars
MoonWyvern
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last time I read this, I said that a review was coming soon. Well... it’s two months late, so who’s ready?

This book revolves around Carson Philips, the most negative, sarcastic person anyone could cross paths with. His dream is to become an editor for the New Yorker and a few other things that I can’t bing myself to remember.

He wants to enter his dream college calls Northwestern University in Illinois. He wants to do anything that will allow him to leave Clover, his bland hometown.

He is in a
CF Dracarys
Jul 05, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was terrible. Every single character is a cliche and a trope. Every plot line that unfolded was unoriginal and offered absolutely nothing new.

The dialogue made me physically cringe at times. It felt like a horrible teen after school special. The main character is generally unlikeable although occasionally he made me laugh.

I REPEAT, EVERY CHARACTER IS A CLICHE. the cheerleader. The idiot jock. The goth. The yearbook girl. The theater gays. It's like reading a horrible teen movie from
Jan 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya
Vivienne
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So, I should say something clever here.

It was very good. Not only the story, but the writing as well, and it's such a pleasure, because that's what you see less often when it comes to good books.

If you think you can read it in two days, think again. It's not easy to stomach the venom it contains. A venom, that's more lethal than acid, wasabi and the strongest chili pepper mixed together. It's not an exaggeration.

A lot of readers find it hard to love Carson. Well, do you really think he should be
Kaitlyn Carreira
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. However, I will say that my soul was crushed. My entire being was destroyed by a metaphorical wrecking ball made from the deepest, darkest evil and negativity imaginable. But to avoid spoiling it for anybody who hasn't yet read it, I won't explain why. However, despite the existential crisis I suffered, it was an AMAZING book and I would read it many, many more times. ...more
Austin "The Roblox God"👌
Sean Kennedy
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really like Chris Colfer, and think he is immensely talented, but there is just as much to criticise and analyse with this book as there is to praise. There is some wickedly dark humour in here which I love, especially pertaining to high school, but in the end the story seems to have no purpose. I am left baffled by what Colfer was trying to achieve.

The lead character of Carson Phillips is unlikeable. Yes, I get he was an outcast in his school and that led to him getting a certain enjoyment ou
Grüffeline
Mar 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
I just hope there's a Daily Hell I can write for. I could do witty editorials like "Hell: Hath It Lost Its Fury?" and maybe weekly updates on who is torturing whom.

This is one of those books that leave me torn. Did I actually love (I did devour it in good time and putting it down was so hard) or hate (Carson sure isn't an easy character to deal with, he's a grade A asshole most of the time but has his moments) this? I can't tell. If you don't like the MC, loving a book can be difficult. This
Cassandra
Reread: 8/15/16

I got the audiobook on sale at BAM and it was so worth it. This book was even better having the author, Chris Colfer, read it to you because it made the emotional impact of the character's actions and it just improved it greatly overall.

I really love this book. The part right before the ending, the pre-ending of you will, is truly amazing as Carson comes to terms with his life and how's it's playing out. The actual ending still hurts and makes you want to throw things.

Still love i
Alice
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Alice by: Land of Stories
I'll be honest, I am biased towards this book simply because it's written by Chris Colfer, and in my opinion, anything to do with Chris Colfer is going to be incredible. This book does not disappoint. It's quick and easy to read; it's not claiming to be anything else either which is fantastic. The plot is so clever and original. It makes me really excited to see the film, so it definitely crosses off one of it's main functions! The writing is incredible; Chris Colfer does not shy away from his l ...more
Katherine
 photo 38c22dbf9ab3b644e23250fba1a53e27_zpsz9bj8vvg.gif
Let me just preface this by saying that it didn’t take me almost two months to finish this book. Quite the contrary; once I started it I finished it in about two days or so. It’s just that in my inheritantly lazy state of being, I haven’t bothered to write a review about it until now. But hey, at least I have a New Year’s Resolution for 2016!

The best way I can describe this book is what might have happened if Charlie Brown went to high school. But instead of calling himself Charlie Brown, he
Martyna
Imagine you are seventeen years old. You are finishing high school in a rural area, and your dream is not to work in the office or to milk cows, but to become a freelance journalist. You don't want to get stuck where you were born, with your mother, a drug addict, a father who is getting married yet again and a beloved grandmother who, thanks to her close relationship with Mr. Alzheimer, doesn't recognize you too often.

What are you able to do to pursue your dreams? Maybe blackmail your school st
Myndi
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wait, what????

My heart hurts...literally hurts!

Ok, I'll just say, the book is awesome. Well written and thoughtful. Shows how teenagers grow and learn about themselves through their high school years. Shows a loving relationship with an older relative. Highlights what coming from a troubled and broken home can be like. Illustrates grandly how even the "best of the best" can be living with secrets and pain.

This is not a HEA book...don't expect the warm fuzzies at the end. I still recommend it,
Ethen C.
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book! Mrs.Morgan picked it out for me during the vocab quiz last Wednesday. If you don't know what to read, I strongly recommend this book. This book is about a kid blackmailing people to enter submissions for a literary magazine. This book has a parental consent. So if your parent signed that form, you can read this. ...more
Syndi
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the first 10% of the book, i keep chuckle. i love sarcastic humor. but then 20% into the book, i am like mhew.... not in a good way.

the rest of the book flat boring. as boring as the character with colver.
Sue Seligman
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: high schoolers
Recommended to Sue by: saw it online
I have been an adult Gleek for many years, particularly because my daughter had always been involved in the theatre programs in and out of school. I enjoyed watching Chris Colfer's portrayal of Kurt Hummel develop over the years, and I respect him as an actor and a role model for children everywhere. Knowing that he struggled with his identity as a gay teenager, and used his struggles to effectively relate to his peers both on screen and off made me admire him even more. My cousin's son, about t ...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.com/bo...

My high school was never this interesting.

I’ve never watched Glee and I didn’t know anything about Chris Colfer before I read this book. Maybe I’ve lived under a rock, but that’s okay. When I passed this book at the store, I stopped to check it out. The title grabbed me right away. Struck by Lightning. Okay, I’ll give it a try. I’m glad I did.

Carson Phillips is the standard outcast kid with huge dreams. He’s not had the best start in
Monica
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Being a huge fan of Chris Colfer, when I heard that he was writing books I decided to check them out. I have The Land of Stories which regretfully I have yet to read (it's not catching my interest enough yet) but I just finished reading his newest book Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal based of the screenplay that he wrote. I fully expected to go into the book and be amused by it but still feeling that it was juvenile considering what it is about, but I was pleasantly surprised. W ...more
Mrs.Morgan
2.5 Stars

Words that come to mind when thinking about this book: real, raw, emotional, heart-breaking, lessons learned, unfortunate and unfair. So why the 2.5 star rating? I found it hard to relate to. Reasons: I am 16 years out from my high school graduation; I never had that much angst in my teenage years; and while I loved Chris Colfer in Glee, his text and the characters within it seemed predictable .. almost as if he looked around the high school Glee set, found all of the archetypes portray
Shawnigan Reads: Struck By Lightning 2 4 Jan 10, 2019 03:22PM

• Sorry Not Sorry: Dreams, Mistakes, and Growing Up
  • Brunette Ambition
  • Choosing Glee: 10 Rules to Finding Inspiration, Happiness, and the Real You
  • A Work in Progress
  • Summer and the City (The Carrie Diaries, #2)
  • Daemonium Volume 1 Manga
  • Just Our Luck
  • My Fat, Mad Teenage Diary (Rae Earl, #1)
  • Dear Hank Williams
  • Don't Even Think About It (Don't Even Think About It, #1)
  • Can You Keep a Secret? (Fear Street Relaunch, #4)
  • When They Go Low, We Go High: Speeches that shape the world – and why we need them
  • Dramarama
  • Uno, nessuno e centomila - Quaderni di Serafino Gubbio operatore
  • In a New York Minute
  • Dear Life, You Suck
  • The Beginning (Glee, #1)
  • Blooming at the Texas Sunrise Motel
See top shelves…
Chris Colfer is an Emmy-nominated and Golden Globe-winning actor best-known for his portrayal of Kurt Hummel on the FOX television series "Glee".

He is also a New York Times bestselling author whose books include the first three novels in the "Land of Stories" series ("The Wishing Spell", "The Enchantress Returns" and "A Grimm Warning") as well as "Struck By Lightning: The Carson Philips Journal"