Start by marking “Faust Among Equals” as Want to Read:
Faust Among Equals

Faust Among Equals

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  516 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The management buy-out of Hell wasn't going quite as well as had been hoped. For a start, there had been that nasty business with the perjurors, and then came the news that the Most Wanted Man in History had escaped, and all just as the plans for the new theme park, EuroBosch, were underway.
Published September 4th 2012 by Orbit (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Faust Among Equals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faust Among Equals

Georgia
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another book that I have read a thousand times over. I never get tired of this world - Holt is a certified genius and no one makes me laugh out loud quite like him.
Tim Schneider
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holt turns his cock-eyed look at culture on the Faust story. Not with a re-telling (how gauche) but with a sequel of sorts. Lucky George Faustus has escaped from Hell and wants to stay at-large...and find some sort of reprieve from his sentence. He has the help of his old university mates who include the likes Heironymous Bosch and The Flying Dutchman. He's also pursued (through time and space) by histories greatest bounty hunter/monster killer. As usual, time, space and physics don't work the s ...more
Ralph McEwen
Aug 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just did not get it. Dead people chasing each other with guns? Heironymous Bosch as designer and engineer of an amusement park in Hell? Hell worrying about the bottom line? Time jumping but you have to buy tickets? It just goes on and on. I like funny but this was just stupid.
Brian
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun Faustian frolics.
Nathan Dehoff
I get the impression that a significant of this one was inspired by Terry Pratchett's Eric, specifically Hell operating like a modern business. It's not too surprising that two British writers of comic fantasy would hit on some of the same topics, but here it's a little too similar. While many of Holt's books meander but still have a unifying plot, this one didn't seem to so much. Essentially a sequel to the Faust legend, this has Georg Faust (usually called by his English name of Lucky George) ...more
Judith
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: julia lou
Faust Among Equals by Tom Holt does not retell the original soul selling, but picks up with “Lucky George” Faust a few centuries later, having escaped from Hell. Still wielding all the magical powers he got in his famous deal with Satan, he is now up against the new corporate management -- Bain Capital? not quite -- Hell Holdings, plc. Faust may be able to make a fool out of the Security Director and defy the entire Board, but depend on the private sector, in the person of Kurt Lundqvist, bounty ...more
Catherine
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Actually read in the Dead Funny omnibus but since the correct edition of that does not show, nor can I add it, I thought may as well have this incorrect cover as the other, especially as I did read the two books within a book separately.

Most reviews on here of that combined edition rate this above book:Flying Dutch]. I disagree. The premise of this is less tight and the characters' motivations are very woolly at times - but then I suppose one might expect that from people who have been double-cr
Ariana Deralte
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with american senses of humour
Shelves: fantasy, youkai, magic
I was told this was one of Tom Holt's funnier books. Thankfully, this is the case, though it's still not that funny compared to the great comedy writers. Continuous irony and jokes that are telegraphed ten pages away do not a comedy make. He really does run his jokes into the ground, the bastard... And I should stop reading the bloody things since every one of his books does nothing to cheer me up, and merely annoys me.
Dark-Draco
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humour
Another great Tom Holt novel, this time turning the legend of Faust on its head. The image of Hell being a boring business syndicate is nothing new, but a theme park is a nice twist. I also like the reason given for the Trojan wars going on for so long!!
Bev
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some quite clever humour, although it sometimes felt like the author was trying too hard to be funny, or "punny". This is my first Tom Holt book, but probably won't be the last. The writing style reminded me slightly of Douglas Adams.
Ofer
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, laugh out laud sort of book featuring historical figures, demons, hell, modern management style, and ethereal bounty hunters. How can you say no to something like this? Guaranteed to make you laugh so hard you might have trouble explaining your behavior. :)
Taryn
Sep 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite funny, unusual story and very different to his other series. I wasn't enthralled and I wouldn't call it unputdownable (and nor would anyone else with a dictionary) but I was compelled to keep reading and I liked the main characters quite a lot.
Christine S.r.
Funny, silly, and fast-paced. It was spot-on in its corporate mockery. A couple awkward lines, though, and the characters were a little thin compared to a series like Discworld. (Which comparatively manages to be both funny and have deep characters.) I'd definitely try another book by him.
Mollie
Feb 25, 2009 marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Faust Among Equals by Tom Holt (1994)
Cc Barrett
Hilarious, Disney Land in Hell.
Richard Wicentowski
  • A Dog Called Demolition
  • A Night in the Netherhells
  • Dragon Chronicles
  • Discworld's Unseen University Diary 1998
  • The Running Game (Reachers, #1)
  • Bloodsong (Blood, #2)
  • The Dragon Business
  • Mad Amos
  • Grass for His Pillow, Episode 1: Lord Fujiwara's Treasures (Tales of the Otori, #2 Ep. 1)
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humorous ways. He has also pro
More about Tom Holt...