Start by marking “Color: A Workshop for Artists and Designers” as Want to Read:
Color: A Workshop for Artists and Designers

Color: A Workshop for Artists and Designers

Taking a practical approach to color, Color: A workshop for artists and designers is an invaluable resource for art students and professionals alike. With its sequence of specially designed assignments and in-depth discussions, it effectively bridges the gap between color theory and practice to inspire confidence and understanding in anyone who works with color. Generously ...more
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 168 pages
Published September 5th 2012 by Laurence King Publishing (first published July 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Color, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Color

Start your review of Color: A Workshop for Artists and Designers
Tori
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, and referenced it often in college. It’s wonderful for those interested in color theory. It’s very comprehensive.
Lloyd Downey
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it is quite amazing how dated this book has become because of the growth of computers and screens in graphic arts. However, it really is a very thorough introduction to the basic principles of colour ...especially for designers. Maybe less so for artists. It has a great set of samples of the various colour relationships with varying hue, value, saturation. (Or in other words (my words): colour, grey tone, brightness).
He explores the psychological impact of juxtaposed colours and optical
Erin Culver
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I used this book for a college course and found myself wanting to buy a copy. The information is clear, concise and well thought out... and the color studies are intriguing and offer a comprehensive overview that won’t be forgotten.
Yasemin Gyford
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book!
Celine
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating read although I've had to read some pages several times to absorb it all - not a breeze. I am sure itniwll improve my painting.
Tran
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: design, textbook
Painters would benefit quite a lot from this book, as it discusses the mixing method of colours and all examples are paintings. Nevertheless, designers can also enjoy the book as they are introduced to various colour concepts.

"While the book can simply be read as a general guide to color, its value will be most fully realized by those who take the time to do the color assignments. They were developed and tested over a 12-year period at the Rhode Island School of Design with graphic designers, p
Jadwiga
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeżeli masz związek z malarstwem, grafiką, projektowaniem wnętrz czy ubrań i chcesz zgłębić zagadnienie koloru polecam tę książkę. Autor w tej książce nie tyle wykłada teorię koloru co prowadzi warsztaty kolorystyczne. Każdy rozdział to omówienie innych właściwości koloru i precyzyjne dobrane ćwiczenia pomagające zrozumieć omawiane zależności. Ćwiczenia wykonywane są gwaszem, ale jest również rozdział poświęcony ćwiczeniom kolorystycznym na komputerze. Polecam osobom zainteresowanym tą tematyką!
Erika Mulvenna
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This book includes some of the most intense set of color study exercises I've ever seen, from basics in mixing colors to color interactions, principles, and combinations. The back of the book includes a great illustrated glossary of color terms, and a short chapter on color perception. A good book for fine art or design students, but way too much information for someone just beginning to learn about color theory.
David Littman
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is indispensable for artists in any medium. Every page is filled with useful information on color relationships, interactions, as well as tips on color mixing. Before reading this book, I was completely lost when it came to color, but now I'm quite confident in my abilities to use color in my art.
Hariharan
ITS NICE
Jeffrey
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The very best and most comprehensive book on color theory I have ever read... and I own many.
Widyoseno
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
Comprehensive book for those who has huge interest in colour study
Gina Mcandrew

• Picture This: How Pictures Work
  • Color: A Course in Mastering the Art of Mixing Colors
  • The Vanishing Half
  • Foragers, Farmers, and Fossil Fuels: How Human Values Evolve
  • Ultimate Journey: Retracing the Path of an Ancient Buddhist Monk Who Crossed Asia in Search of Enlightenment
  • Beyond Weird
  • Collected Essays
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • How to Get a UX Design Job: Create a compelling portfolio, submit a stand-out application, and ace the interview to land your user experience dream job
  • Drawing Ideas: A Hand-Drawn Approach for Better Design
  • Fear No Evil: The Pathwork Method of Transforming the Lower Self
  • How to
  • The Complete Cooking For Two Cookbook
  • The Elements of Typographic Style
  • Reason to Believe: Rational explanations of Orthodox Jewish Faith
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products