Start by marking “The Kraken King (Iron Seas, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Kraken King  (Iron Seas, #4)

The Kraken King

(The Iron Seas #4)

A former smuggler and thief, Ariq-better known as the Kraken King-doesn't know what to make of the clever, mysterious woman he rescues from an airship besieged by marauders. Unsure if she's a spy or a pawn in someone else's game, Ariq isn't about to let her out of his sight until he finds out. After escaping her fourth kidnapping attempt in a year, Zenobia Fox has learned ...more
Published November 4th 2014 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Kraken King, please sign up.
Stephanie You really should at least read Heart of Steel (book 2) first before reading this, although I wouldn't say you need to read books 1 or 3 first.

Start your review of The Kraken King (Iron Seas, #4)
Kat Kennedy
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stunning book. Was a little lengthy and the relationship tropes a little repetitive but over all I really loved it.
Jen Davis
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Maybe you aren’t familiar with steampunk. Maybe you don’t love it. Maybe you haven’t read the earlier installments in the Iron Seas series. Maybe you’ve never even heard of Meljean Brook. It. Does. Not. Matter. You need to buy this book now and read it. You need to get swept up in the adventure. You need to swoon over the romance. And then you can join the rest of us who can do nothing but gush over just how wonderful this story is.

I read all 8 parts as one continuous story because I have read s
Mei
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal

An interesting and action-packed story in the Iron Seas universe! :)

I loved the relationship between Ariq e Zenobia! The issue of trust was explain in length! Almost too much, but I loved it!

What I didn't like so much was the communications problem they had. If they took time to explain some of their action they would have solved many things that created some rather big problems.

Otherwise, very nice!
Jo
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE

10 AMAZING STARS!!!!!

“Because you have a light in your face and a fire in your eyes, and the first time I looked into them, I knew it would be you. The woman I would want forever. The woman I need at my side. The woman I would love.”

Zenobia Fox is the author of her brother, Archimedes Fox’s, famous adventures. She dreams of having adventures of her own, but the only ones she does experience, other than her writing, is the kidnapping attempts she has to endure because of the brother’s w

MelissaB
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Kraken King was a great story, it is by far my favorite in this steam punk series. I liked both the hero and the heroine, they were both likable people who I enjoyed reading about. Ariq was a pretty amazing hero, he was head over heels for Zenobia and vowed to protect her and be her shield - and he meant it and showed it by at one point breaking a man in half who was attacking her then making her other attacker tell everyone he meets that Zenobia is now under his protection and anyone who co ...more
Ursula
Where to begin, with one of the most interesting and absorbing books I have read in a while?

This is a long and complex book- you can buy and read it in 8 separate parts- but it rewards the reader who perseveres. There is so much detail in the story, so much complexity in the the historical, political and military aspects of the book, that you need to take your time to do it justice.

The characterisation is brilliant, and with a longer book I guess an author has the time to layer the characters.
The Kraken King is the fourth installment in Meljean Brook's adult romance/steampunk series titled: Iron Seas. I am a huge fan of this series and have been fortunate to have access to all the audiobooks at my local library. The narration on these is incredible by the way! I highly recommend the audio versions. I am slowly but surely getting through all the novels and novellas...and they are amazing!!!

While I enjoyed The Kraken King, I didn't love it quite as much as some of the others. It was VE
Keertana
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although I harbored my doubts when Brooks announced that The Kraken King would be written in a serialized format, I found myself pleasantly surprised by how effectively it came together as a cohesive novel. The latest in this vividly imaginative steampunk series follows Zenobia Fox, the sister of adventurer Archimedes Fox, and her experiences are no less enthralling than that of her sibling. The Kraken King worked particularly effectively due to its length. It feels longer than her other novels- ...more
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Another imaginative instalment of the Iron Seas series which was originally released as a serial. I enjoyed it especially the visual picture that Meljean Brook excels at, floating cities, mechanical monsters and a great array of vibrant characters not the least being Ariq, the Kraken King. At 576 pages a little too long, perhaps when it was published in its entirely a little editing wouldn't have gone astray but this didn't really detract from enjoying a swashbuckling tale, well told.
Ursula
Just wonderful- review to follow. Hero- took my breath away. The things he said, how he treated the heroine. Just wonderful. Heroine- respect and admiration. She was a phenomenal woman.
Usha
Apr 17, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars - action packed but it lacked the emotional intrigue.
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
My Rating: A+ Personal Favorite
Originally posted at That's What I'm Talking About
Review copy provided by publisher

Note: At this time, the only way to read this book is to purchase the 8-part serialize novel.

Zenobia Fox, sister of the infamous adventurer Archimedes Fox, spends more time living vicariously through the intrepid tales she pens rather than out in the real world. She embarks on journey with Helene, her childhood friend, to the Red City, where Helene’s husband works as the French ambas
Mir
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
The insta-love and purple passion really show Brook's romance roots, but overall a fun fictional universe (Australo-Japanese-Mongol Horde steampunk is a nice change from the Victoriana) and an entertaining adventure.
Ana
Meljean Brook and Nalini Singh were my gateway drugs into Romance. Back in early 2012, I started watching Felicia Day’s Vaginal Fantasy Book Club. One of the early bookclub selections was the Iron Duke, which I was lucky enough to get from my local library. I was sucked into the her Steampunk/alternate history world, The Iron Seas, where the Horde (Genghis Khan’s mighty empire) had overrun Asia and Europe and had enslaved great swaths of the world through nanobots hidden in sugar.

Meljean Brook h
Kimberly (Book Swoon)
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Kraken King first began as a writing experiment, a serial created by the talented Meljean Brook as part of her Iron Seas series. The results is the sensational novel here for the first time in its complete entirety, a Steampunk Romance lover's dream come true.

Originally created as an eight-part serial, the story is completely action-packed, each scene fills the pages with no wasted space, no dull moments and the plot moves fast with no shortage of Steampunk elements. The story opens up with

Linniegayl
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the world Meljean Brook built in her Iron Seas series. It's been a while since I read one, but was very happy to discover that Zenobia Fox -- the author of a popular adventure series and sister to Archimedes -- is the the heroine of this book. The book starts off almost immediately with Zenobia in peril as the airship she's on comes under attack. Ariq, the Kraken King and our hero, took me a bit longer to get to know and warm to.

The book is filled with adventures as Zenobia and Ariq are r
LAB☺
re-read 8/7/19 - I will never get tired of reading this book. Never!

re-read 11/25/18 - Still, and always will, love Ariq.

re-read 2/24/16 - I needed an Ariq fix!
_________________________________
re-read 12/24/14 (originally read June 2014)

This was probably my favorite book of 2014. It has everything - action, adventure, emotions, a badass hero and a leading lady with spirit and a brain. I found myself smiling, laughing and enjoying this adventure just as much the 2nd time around even though it h
Noelle
Fun and swoony and a rollicking good time. Closest in tone with Book #2 of the series. Overly long/drawn out at parts but that's just the natural result of a serial being combined into one book--and being read (nearly) in one sitting. #SpinsterAdventure FTW.
Talltree
Nov 24, 2015 marked it as no-dnf-zzz-avoid
DNF

Steampunk is not for me.
Sophia
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannah
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Why did I read this book? It is steampunk and romance, clearly written as multiple novellas put into one book with what one assumes was no extra editing. So much here for me to make fun of. And yet...

I didn't hate this book, I kind of liked it. The characters are simplistic but this book isn't trying to be anything else then what it is. I do wish my book group would have given me a heads up about the graphic sex scenes that I just happened to be in public when reading.
Dark Faerie Tales
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A woman craving adventure finds herself getting almost more than she can handle when she’s rescued by a man who quickly becomes fascinated by her.

Opening Sentence: If this letter is in your hands instead of on my desk where I left it, you must have flown to Fladstrand without first collecting your correspondence in Port Fallow–where the note I sent to you would have saved you a trip.

The Review:

I’m a huge fan of Meljean Brook, especially of her G
Katia Roman
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually write reviews although I know they are helpful to both author and prospective reader. The reason being that I usually can't find the proper words to express myself. However, for this book I'm making an exception. I'm a fan of paranormal romance fiction but I think the genre has given me all it has so I was looking for a change. Steampunk was in my TR list so I began reading the "Iron Duke". I can't say that I loved it right away but I got hooked. Loved the combination of worlds, ...more
Cardyn Brooks
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Zenobia and Ariq's story is a timeless tale of unlikely lovers who overcome the hurdles of class, culture, and emotional wariness to save themselves and each other. The Kraken King is emotionally rich with a high content of adventure and clever daring-do. It's beautifully composed fun that transcends the Steampunk category.
DemetraP
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The romance was amazing, the characters were strong and likeable. There was humor, love, adventure, airships,...it was just an awesome read.
Sunny
4.5 stars. I love this author's writing. Intensely romantic. This story is epic.
Cheesecake
Well, almost 20 hours of audiobook read wonderfully by Alison Larken.
Phew!

Not the smoothest read but full of intelligent intrigue, strong characters and complex world building.

The MCs are people of many faces.
Zenobia Fox aka Geraldine Inkslinger aka Zenobia Gunther-Baptiste... a writer, a loving sister, a wealthy woman, a survivor.
Ariq aka the Governor, aka the Kraken King, etc.
He hides an enormous secret (and many small ones), she hides her identity. She's been kidnapped so many times she is
Stormie
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was absolutely brilliant. It was such a rich story with such complex and rich characters. I read this slowly because I savored every single page of this. I loved Zenobia and Ariq. They were both so different but absolutely amazing characters. I loved the evolution of their relationship and of themselves as individuals. The world building in this was just incredible. I just devoured this entire world and it's characters. It has a steampunk post world war vibe and everything is renamed and re ...more
Saly
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
WAY too many misunderstandings for my liking. I did appreciate how besotted the hero was for heroine though.
Urhomwen
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! Meljean Brook is amazing. I'm only just reading The Kraken King now because I did not want to read it in bits as a serial. I read The Iron Duke first some time ago and loved it but somehow did not quite enjoy the subsequent books in the series (though I LOVE the Guardian series). So, I haven't spent much time lately in the colorful steampunk world created by this author. I am so glad I decided to return. Meljean writes steampunk with amazing skill. The world buildin ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • Enthralled (Breeds #19.5; League of the Black Swan #1.5; Iron Seas #3.5, Children of the Moon #3.5)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • A Touch of Stone and Snow (A Gathering of Dragons, #2)
  • My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3)
  • Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
  • Of Silk and Steam (London Steampunk, #5)
  • A Heart of Blood and Ashes (A Gathering of Dragons, #1)
  • Mission: Improper (London Steampunk: The Blue Blood Conspiracy, #1)
  • Steam & Sorcery (Gaslight Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hero Within (Burned Lands, #3)
  • A Bride for the Prizefighter
  • Say Yes to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #5)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
  • Shadowbound (Dark Arts, #1)
  • The Curious Case Of The Clockwork Menace (London Steampunk, #3.5)
  • The Last True Hero (Burned Lands, #2)
Book info: I am the author of the Iron Seas steampunk romance series. I've written a guide to the world (including a map) on my website.

I also write a paranormal romance series, the Guardians. That series guide is also on my website, including a "The Story So Far" feature, which allows you to catch up on all of the books that previously released in the series if you start after the first installm

The Iron Seas (5 books)
  • The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1)
  • Heart of Steel (Iron Seas, #2)
  • Riveted (Iron Seas, #3)
  • The Blacksmith (Iron Seas #5)