Start by marking “Shotguns v. Cthulhu” as Want to Read:
Shotguns v. Cthulhu

Shotguns v. Cthulhu

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Pulse-pounding action meets cosmic horror in this exciting collection from the rising stars of the New Cthulhuiana. Steel your nerves, reach into your weapons locker, and tie tight your running shoes as humanity takes up arms against the monsters and gods of H. P. Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos. Grab your pistols, your knives, your gearpunk grenades. Confront deep ones, mi-go, ...more
Published November 1st 2012 by Stone Skin Press

To ask other readers questions about Shotguns v. Cthulhu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shotguns v. Cthulhu

Jonathon Dyer
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
H.P. Lovecraft died in 1937, five months shy of his forty-seventh birthday. In his lifetime he published over sixty pieces of what he referred to as Cosmic Horror, a blend of science fiction and horror; nearly all of his stories revolved around a complex pantheon of ancient gods and otherworldly beings that has come to be known as the Cthulhu mythos. These works were nearly all short stories, with the exception of a handful of sustained narratives, including The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, At t ...more
Dave Versace
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
An excellent anthology of stories injecting thrilling action into H.P. Lovecraft's often rather staid cosmic horror cycle (though the editor, Robin D Laws, takes care to point out that there was a fair amount of potboiling action in the source stories themselves). With one clunking and risible exception that sounds a lot like after-play report from a particularly overwrought convention scenario, by a writer who has been around more than long enough to know better, these are all fine stories. The ...more
Scott von Berg
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a collection, and it's pretty hit or miss with me.

If you're a fan of the Chtulu/horror genre, you pretty much know where you're going and what to expect. Execution varies, from a couple of genuinely entertaining yarns to what feels like a bad set of game notes from an RPG session.

The editor's submission was particularly good - Laws has had his toes in and around the tentacles for quite a while, and does a good job showing how things can be done.

I gave it 4 stars, because there was certai
Frances
Nov 06, 2012 rated it liked it
My rule is four stars if I think everyone with an interest in the genre should read the book, and at this point I'm kind of torn on exactly what the genre IS; mythos, horror adventure, horrific adventure...

At that point, drawing back to think about how I'd rate it overall. There are some really good stories, but also one I found it a grind to get through. Keeping in mind that any anthology is going to be a mix, I'm giving it a solid three and adding I'm very glad to have picked it up.
Matthew
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
A solid anthology with some real gems (Who Looks Back by Kyla Ward for example), it was let down by 3-4 stories that felt very out of place. I still enjoyed it though, and it's worth a read if you're a lover of Lovecraftian tales (like I am).

3.5 stars.
Jeff Waltersdorf
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable collection of Chtulhu Mythos short stories focused on action. Includes a tasty Delta Green yarn by A. Scott Glancy, a tale of medieval German witchhunters by Kenneth Hite, and a story of surviving an apocalypse by Robin Laws.
Tommy
May 20, 2014 rated it liked it
As most short story collections go, the results were mixed. While some of the stories really embodied love crafts style, and we're great tales, others lacked in the great horror that we all know and love.
Chris Jackson
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've never been much of an H.P. Lovecraft fan, but this montage of short stories really was a pleasure to read. Many different and vivid takes on the mithos, with some really hair raising and stomach churning tales... Made me want to write one myself.

Mouldy Squid
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Lovecraft
Shelves: horror
A fairly interesting collection of Lovecraft inspired tales where the theme is somewhat different from most anthologies of this type. Instead of the typical Lovecraft hero, here we have those who fight against the decayed tide of Cthulhu not with books or spells, but firearms, axes and steel. Some good stuff here, particularly the Mamatas, who seems to be the rising star of Lovecraftiana, as well as Fifer and Lackey (the minds behind The H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast).

A nice addition to the co
Christine McCann
Definitely worth reading for many of the stories, notably "Who Looks Back," "Old Wave," "Snack Time," "Last Things Last," (my first experience of Delta Green) "One Small, Valuable Thing," & "And I Feel Fine."

There were some real clunkers as well, so I'd recommend picking this up and grazing on stories that appeal without feeling a need to plow through the whole thing. The whole proposition of the anthology is action-oriented Lovecraftian tales, which is a challenging task, after all.
Rob Lightner
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm somewhat biased, as my friend Rob Heinsoo has a terrific piece in this collection. That said, I enjoyed most of these stories tremendously, and the one or two misses only accentuated the hits. Dark, scary, action-packed, and often quite funny, the book is wonderfully entertaining. The editor, Robin D. Laws, wrote a wonderful story that captures the hilarity and soul-terror of transformation. This is well worth a read.
Robdguk
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
a thoroughly enjoyable collection of short stories, which draw inspiration for H.P. Lovecraft's cthulhu mythos with more energy.

One or two stories feel as if the are narrative of an RPG, but they were probably some of my favourites, in honesty.
Derrick
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
reread and still great
Victoria
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
10/10
Jessie B.
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
An excellent collection of action oriented stories set in the world of the Cthulhu mythos. While some stories are better than other, most are excellent and very enjoyable.
Rose
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All are at least pretty good, but Kenneth Hite's story stands out as by far the best.
Mark
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book's title is Totally Incorrect and Misleading. It should be titled A Bunch of Very Good Cthulhu Stories, Some of Which Contain Shotguns.
Brian Curley
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall a good selection of newmythos tales, some a bit more action-film-ish than others. An entertaining read. Now it needs a sequel.
Pete731
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome collection of freaky fiction. Quite enjoyed it, a good variety of stories, some traditonal cthulhu fare, some pushing the boundaries.
Jake
Oct 29, 2012
Finlay Patterson
Oct 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Dunwich Cycle: Where the Old Gods Wait (Cthulhu Cycle Book, #9)
  • The Hounds of Tindalos
  • The Lovecraft Anthology: Volume 2
  • World War Cthulhu: A Collection of Lovecraftian War Stories
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • Historical Lovecraft
  • A Natural History of Hell: Stories
  • Black Wings: Tales of Lovecraftian Horror
  • Bleeding Shadows
  • Lovecraft's Monsters
Writer and game designer Robin D. Laws brought you such roleplaying games as Ashen Stars, The Esoterrorists, The Dying Earth, Heroquest and Feng Shui. He is the author of seven novels, most recently The Worldwound Gambit from Paizo. For Robin's much-praised works of gaming history and analysis, see Hamlet's Hit Points, Robin's Laws of Game Mastering and 40 Years of Gen Con.

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
  • The Woman in the Dunes
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage