Start by marking “The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour: The Frontier Stories: Volume Three” as Want to Read:

The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour: The Frontier Stories: Volume Three (The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour #3)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  306 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This third volume of Louis L'Amour's collected stories gathers twenty-eight tales of the American West in a keepsake edition sure to delight fans old and new. This collection is a thrilling tribute to the unique spirit of our frontier heritage and proves again the enduring popularity of America's favorite storyteller.
The essence of Louis L'Amour's timeless appeal can be f
Published October 25th 2005 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour

Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Jennifer by: Travis Johnson and Kurt Ellison
FORK YOUR OWN BRONCOS.

One day I'll stage readings (with my coworker and cohort, Travis "Jingle Bob" Johnson) from these illustrious works of fiction during slam night at my local coffeeshop; I'll swagger in, a Stetson on my head and a waterpistol on my hip, and turn late night Monterey upside down. And then I'll probably be arrested for sheer lack of taste, but I won't care, because I'm one plumb salty hombre.
John Bruni
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another reliable book from a very reliable writer. Louis L'Amour does not mess around. He delivers every time. You always know what you're going to get. It's going to be a cowboy hero who is extraordinarily competent and always tries to find non-lethal ways to get out of incredibly violent situations. If it comes down to it, he will kill, but only if driven to it. The villain is always very fast and hard and is surrounded by weasels and back shooters. But the hero will always beat the living day ...more
John Flynn
Nov 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Louis L'Amour is one of the masters of the Western. In a genre that is so often defined and confined by its cliches and archetypes, he wove wonderful stories about strong men and women on the frontier. His short stories are captivating tales, and this collection is a great presentation of that. Yes, the stories follow familiar paths and can be unbearably predictable, but the journey is so well written and expertly done that the fact that you already know the destination like the back of your han ...more
Julie Davis
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Watched Red River last night (Howard Hawks directed, John Wayne starred, Montgomery Clift costarred, Walter Brennen was the obligatory coot natch) and, since it was just about the perfect Western, I was jonesing for more Western. Had this sitting around and it has been filling the bill nicely, thank you. Strong men, right and wrong, brave women, etc.

Overall it was good enough but way too many of the stories seemed similar, ending with the ultimate shootout between the fellow no one thought could
Jerry Blackerby
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of short stories. I had read a few of the stories in Volume 1, but none in Volume 2. I think I may have read one story in Volume 3 previously, but was not sure. There were some scenes seemed familiar, but others did not, so I reread it. There were two or three Lance Kilkinney stories, which I like. Loved it.
Kenneth
Great old West stories

Louis L'Amour is the premier story teller of the old West. His way of bringing to life the characters will have you turning page after page to reveal the next exciting action fill episode.
Royce Ratterman
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fabulous listening for the commuter.
I thoroughly enjoyed each tales - well enacted.
Overall, a good book for the researcher and enthusiast.
Read for personal research
- found this book's contents helpful and inspiring - number rating relates to the book's contribution to my needs.
Tom Tallmadge
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great collection by the master story teller
Mark Burnham
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great Stories!!!!
Norman Felchle
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exactly the stuff I was looking for.
Now I've satisfied my craving for some good old fashioned sun-baked, dusty westerns.
Livia
Apr 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Westerns
Shelves: louis-l-amour
This is another fabulous volume of Louis L'Amour. It's always as though your reading about real people in his short story series.
Gail Morris
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Some of these stories I have read in other collections and many were new to me; I enjoyed each and everyone of them.
Dad
Apr 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the first 9 stories. They were good, but seemed to have the same plot.Good guy beats bad guys and gets the girl. Maybe I will read the other 19 stories later.
JD
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: western-fiction
This is a very interesting collection. I had enjoyed many of these stories from other publishing, and it was a pleasure to read them again and to enjoy the ones I had not read previously.
Peter Charleston
Sabrina Lyons smith
rated it it was ok
Aug 29, 2015
  • Hunger’s Brides: A Novel of the Baroque
  • Ha'penny (Small Change, #2)
  • Anpao: An American Indian Odyssey
  • Hemingway on War
  • I'll Ask You Three Times, Are You OK?: Tales of Driving and Being Driven
  • Zombies Calling
  • Classic Westerns, 26 Zane Grey Novels
  • The Giant Joshua
  • The Essential Cuisines of Mexico: Revised and updated throughout, with more than 30 new recipes.
  • Matt Jensen, the Last Mountain Man (Matt Jensen: The Last Mountain Man, #1)
  • Billy Collins Live: A Performance at the Peter Norton Symphony Space
  • Hemingway
  • The Collected Poems
  • Kiss, Kiss / Switch Bitch / My Uncle Oswald
  • Skinner's Rules (Bob Skinner, #1)
  • Love, Death, and the Changing of the Seasons
  • Selected Poems
  • The Unforgiven
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour (8 books)
  • The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour: The Frontier Stories, Vol. 1
  • The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, Volume 2: Frontier Stories
  • The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, Volume 4: The Adventure Stories
  • The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, Volume 4, Part 2: Adventure Stories
  • The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, Volume 5: Frontier Stories
  • The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, Volume 6: The Crime Stories (v. 6)
  • The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, Volume 7: The Frontier Stories