Start by marking “Shadowdance (Darkest London, #4)” as Want to Read:
Shadowdance (Darkest London, #4)

Shadowdance (Darkest London #4)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  2,942 Ratings  ·  357 Reviews
Once a heart is lost in shadow...

Life has been anything but kind to Mary Chase. But the Society for the Suppression of Supernaturals has given her purpose. Now she's been tasked with catching a vicious murderer dubbed the Bishop of Charing Cross. But someone is already on the case—and the last thing he relishes is a partner.

Only someone who lives in darkness can find it.

Ja
Mass Market Paperback, 427 pages
Published December 17th 2013 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about Shadowdance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowdance

Bubu
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pnr, hr, 5-stars
Re-read August 2017

Bumping this up - again - to 5 stars.

Look, I have no excuses. Thanks, Kyra ;)
I'm an unreliable reviewer and apparently a shameless Darkest London fangirl but the more I read this book, the better I like it.

I have one small excuse, though: I read this right after Winterblaze back then.

*****************************************

Re-read March 2017

Bumping this up to 4 stars.

I guess I was still so totally gobsmacked by the beauty of Winterblaze that any book, and especially any boo
Ferdy
Spoilers

-Nowhere near as good as I was anticipating. I was looking forward to Mary and Jack's story, their strange hatred for each other in earlier books was compelling, I was excited to know why they had such nasty attitudes whenever they crossed they paths. Sadly, the reason for their mutual hatred and their romance overall was a let down.

-Mary (immortal human machine of sorts) and Jack (speshul snowflake shifter) are forced to work together to find a notorious killer who's murdering demons an
Sam (AMNReader)

Thank goodness for a buddy read with Bubu , Isabella, & Joanna or this would just be sitting, an empty five star review. I couldn't help myself though and just breezed through this one. The review isn't really spoiling a lot, but enough---keeping it hidden for sake of b-r.

(view spoiler)
Hollis
I'm so mad, guys. So. Mad. Why did I wait so long to read this series?

I've been enjoying these books so much, and so consistently, that it was pretty inevitable Callihan would steal a five out of me. And this couple and their journey absolutely deserve it.

He'd die for her, but she would kill for him.

I can't possibly do a review for this. But instead let me just reiterate what I've been saying all week-long during this binge : Callihan is so good, so clever, so creative. The planning she's had to
Jo
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Do you know what it’s like to have what you want most in the world constantly in front of you,” he whispered, “and never dare take it?”

I loved this book. Finally we get Jack and Mary Chase’s book. These two have been dancing around each other for the last two books, throwing insults and basically just showing their dislike for each other. But you just know that there is more to this antagonism, and finally we found out why.

Neither Mary nor Jack has had easy lives. Both have their demons.

Ursula
Another ripping instalment in this series. Cannot fault it, really.

What a tortured, complex hero we have in Jack, and what a brilliantly nuanced and intelligent heroine we have in Mary. Both had been damaged and had suffered, indeed, Jack was still suffering. His treatment at the hands of some evil demon kidnappers was truly horrific and I squirmed every time I read about it. It was heartbreaking.

So two damaged souls, inextricably, albeit very reluctantly linked, had to find their way back to a
Isabella - Madly in Love with Books
Another precious, precious gem by Kristen Callihan. RTC.
Kate's Corner
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

3.5 ‘This is me, and you. This is us’ Stars

Book 4 in the Darkest London series was a tough read for me. I find enemies to lover plots tiring and this is no different.

Jack Talent was Ian Ranulf’s valet that is until he become a regulator with the SOS. In book 3 we see how he is kidnapped and that truly despicable things are done to him. Due to the humiliation he has put distance between himself and his fami
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

The Darkest London series by Kristen Callihan has quickly become one of my favorites. There’s something to be said about Callihan’s imagination. There are no boundaries with her, no feat to difficult to accomplish. With larger than life characters, Callihan breathes passion and life into each individual, making it so easy for readers to fall in love with them.

Jack Talent has had a difficult past. But his blood is the most sought after thing in London at the moment. With a murderer on the loose,
Joanna Loves Reading
Wonderful story of two lonely and lost souls finding each other through impossible odds. I have not been reviewing much lately, but if I get a chance I will.

Thanks for the buddy read Sam, Bubu & Isabella!
AH
Initial Thoughts: Just awesome! Darkest London fans are in for a treat. This is the story of Jack Talent and his love interest Mary Chase. These two are so attracted to each other and the buildup of their relationship is very delicious. A nice mix of historical paranormal romance with some original steampunk elements.

My Review:
I’ve been a fan of Kristen Callihan’s Darkest London series from the first book Firelight. The author creates an intriguing world of 19th century London and adds original
Alyssa
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it
This book has been on my TBR list for over two years, guys O_O

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Shadowdance by Kristen Callihan
Book Four of the Darkest London series
Publisher: Forever
Publication Date: December 17, 2013
Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Once a heart is lost in shadow...

Caz
Well. That was one helluvan ending!:)

Review to come - at some point.
Rose
"Shadowdance" pleasantly surprised me in every way as the latest installment in Kristen Callihan's "Darkest London" series. Wonderful attention to worldbuilding in a steampunk/supernatural environment, smoking chemistry between two very well developed characters, and a plot with many surprising revelations that it had me turning pages, not wanting to tear myself away from the beautiful writing or overarching tale.

This is probably my favorite book in the series to date.

"Shadowdance" begins where
Cristina
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr-fantasy
3,5 stars but 5 stars for the hero!

I have to say I usually feel a connection with Kristen Callihan's characters and I was expecting the same thing from this novel but it didn't feel the same. Something seemed a bit off.

I have two complaints though. One, I thought there were too many different characters in the book and sometimes, as a reader, it was hard to keep up with the many different roles the characters played in the story. The other thing I didn't like was the lead female; I had no stron
Fathima
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not bad .. not bad at all ! The previous book in this series was much least favorite. .. so this was a much better read . However, the first book still remains NY absolute favorite. As usual , love the setting and atmosphere . The characters were great and so was the mystery and intrigue.
Katie Michaels
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
The second half of this book rocked my world. It was filled with angsty goodness, tortured hero mana of the gods, sexual tension, tremendous payoff, and a great set-up for the next book. It was everything I hoped Jack’s story would be. The first half? you ask. Well, let’s just say there was a lot of waiting. Waiting for some sign between the hero and heroine that their attraction was returned. Waiting for some hint on the murder mystery. Waiting for the other shoe to drop on Jack’s big secret. A ...more
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Callihan has suckered me into reading historicals. She does an amazing job of blending the paranormal with historical and with Shadowdance she has given us another element, steampunk. Don’t worry, if steampunk is not your thing. The elements are not heavy but where Callihan hinted at steampunk in the previous books in her Darkest London series she gives us a heroine with a clockwork heart, Mary.

And who has the key to that heart? Master Jack Talent. The surly and handsome hero of Shadowdance. At
Irene Sim
Jack Talent at last, here I come!

5 awesome Here, There and Nowhere Stars!!!

It is amazing how each new instalment in the series gets better and better. I was prepared to love Jack Talent, in fact, I already loved him. After his unfortunate (view spoiler) in the previous book, all I wanted was to open my chest and tack him safe inside where no one could ever hurt him. I was a bit intimidated by the length of the book, anxious of dragging scenes and slow plot, b
Julia
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, fantasy, fiction, romance
Once again Kristen Calihan flirts with the tropes that make paranormal romance so beloved and familiar, while adding twists and flourishes that are entirely her own. Jack and Mary's story started off slow for me, I became distracted by the shear number of obstacles and secrets swirling around them. I loved that Jack may be a murder, hunted by his own colleagues, but add to that his secret history with Mary, both of their past sexual assaults, and the story was muddled and overstimulating. One by ...more
Alison
I really enjoyed the first couple of books but got a bit bogged down halfway through Winterblaze and left it on the "too hard" shelf.

This book features Jack Talent a shifter who was kidnapped and tortured by the Nex (presumably in the book I couldn't finish) and Mary Chase, a Ghost in the Machine (GIM). Jack and Mary both work for the Society for the Suppression of Supernaturals (SOS) but their role is not to track down supernaturals but to hide them from the humans.

Jack has been leading the inv
Lori
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ARC

If you haven't read the previous books then stop reading this review and pick up a copy of whichever book you stopped on! If you are a fan of the series, then you'll probably want to issue a blanket apology to any and all as you'll be ignoring responsibilities until this book is done!

“In a different world, I might have tried to make you mine from the first.” His thick whisper lanced her clockwork heart and had her breath quickening as he continued. “In a different world, I might have deserv
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

There are currently four installments in Kristen Callihan’s Darkest London series and every single one of them has been a 5-star read in my opinion, including Shadowdance. The last three books have fallen more on the historical side of paranormal romance but this newest one is packed full of steampunk-y goodness which only made me love it more. The story is captivating in that I-can’t-put-it-down kind of way and even though there aren’t any love scenes until the very end,
Beth

Two wondrously developed characters who are struggling with mental and physical wounds from horrendous pasts come clashing together in Shadowdance.

Mary Chase has been making a life for herself with the Society for the Suppression of Supernaturals. Her only torment is Jack Talent, a difficult, wounded agent that she saved from being a blood whore. A new revelation in an on going case reveals Jack might be their culprit, Mary requests to join Jack's investigation to find the proof she needs. Wha
Farrah
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dark, romantic, and thrilling, Shadowdance was a fantastic steampunk romance. The creepy demons of mysterious murders had chills going down my spine, while the romance dark, sweet, and steamy. I really enjoyed reading this book.

Mary was a strong heroine. She wasn't the type to sit and wait around. She fought for what she believed in and what she wanted. She was tough, brave, clever, and likable. I thought she was great.

Jack was also amazing. He had one hell of a dark past, not the least of which
Melindeeloo
I really liked Shadowdance: The Darkest London Series: Book 4, I was really happy to learn the reasons that there has been such animosity between Jack and Mary in the previous books. I was truly interested in their back stories, so I didn't really notice the pacing issues that some people had with the story (but then again I've been listening to audio books lately, so in comparison this popped right along.)

That said, since I was happy learning about Jack and Mary - they both have some pretty bi
Lani ⚔⚔  the Destroyer ⚔⚔
Shadowdance was a little slow to begin with but I quickly fell in thrall with Jack and Mary's underlying sexual tension. I hated how they treated each other - or rather how Jack treated Mary, and it was annoying how slowly it was revealed but still I couldn't get enough of them. I'm a sucker for a tortured hero and both Mary and Jack come with a mountain of baggage. Fantastic chemistry, interesting and original plot and great world building. I don't know why I didn't pick this book up a lot soon ...more
Darcy
I would have liked this one better had Mary and Jack not spent most of the book sniping and throwing venom at each other. It got old, especially when you realized that each one liked the other, but had to pretend not to. I was glad when finally they were able to admit their feelings and liked how things ended.

I did like how everyone kept trying to show Jack that he was one of them, part of their odd family, even if he had a hard time believing it.
Alicia
I like the cover!

But someday someone's going to have to explain to me why having men with their shirts open is so normal on covers. She's fully clothed, and his shirt is open. Not that I'm complaining, but come on. I just don't get it. Are you trying to convince me that he's sexy?
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
What a ride! It's always a bittersweet ending when I read the Darkest London series...can't wait for the next book!
Romance Book Budd...: March 29 - Shadowdance/Kristen Callihan 93 10 Apr 05, 2018 12:46PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 23, 2015 11:12AM
Book Giveaways: ARC giveaway: Shadowdance by Kristen Callihan 1 15 Dec 11, 2013 08:01AM
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)
  • Wicked as She Wants (Blud, #2)
  • The Moonstone and Miss Jones (Paranormal Investigator, #2)
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
  • How Beauty Saved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight #2)
  • A Dark Heart (The Elders and Welders Chronicles #2)
  • Cards & Caravans (Gaslight Chronicles, #5)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
  • Tin Swift (Age of Steam, #2)
Kristen Callihan is an author because there is nothing else she'd rather be. She is a RITA winner and three-time nominee and winner of two RT Reviewer's Choice awards. Her novels have garnered starred reviews from Publisher's Weekly and the Library Journal, as well as being awarded top picks by many reviewers. Her debut book FIRELIGHT received RT Magazine's Seal of Excellence, was named a best boo ...more
More about Kristen Callihan

Darkest London (7 books)
  • Firelight (Darkest London, #1)
  • Moonglow (Darkest London, #2)
  • Winterblaze (Darkest London, #3)
  • Evernight (Darkest London, #5)
  • Soulbound (Darkest London, #6)
  • Forevermore (Darkest London, #7)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Scandalous Liaisons
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Story of O
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Unleashed (Ross Siblings #1)
    $3.99 $0.00
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings Book 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“A kiss, he said, is a conversation. Easing closer, he continued to speak as he caressed her cheeks with featherlight stokes of his thumbs.

"A first kiss", his lips neared hers, is an introduction and then his mouth brushed against hers. The contact sparked, sharp and bright like lightning, yet his lips were soft, unexpectedly so. Her breath caught the same instant his did.

Against her mouth he whispered "That was Hello" His breath mingled with hers as he waited, his lips so close she could feel their warmth. For a moment she simply breathed him in growing heady on the scent of him and the tight anticipation gathering in her belly. Then she understood. Nerves fluttering, she brushed her lips across his as he had done. Again his breath hitched, as if he too felt that same spark, that hot need. Her eyes drifted closed and his voice poured over her like warm cream.

"This is, 'I'm Jack'.”
11 likes
“... Mary bit her lip. “She is merely saying hello.”
Oh, I am, Tottie agreed. I’ve been wanting to say hello to Mr. Jack for an age, personal-like. Her hand glided over his chest and headed down. Such a fine cocky fella, ye are. Shall we see if it’s all just tall tales, then, me lad?
3 likes