Start by marking “The Neighbors” as Want to Read:
The Neighbors

The Neighbors

Andrew Morrison sacrificed everything—his childhood, his education, and the girl of his dreams—to look after his alcoholic mother. But enough is enough, and now he’s determined to get out and live his life. That means trading the home he grew up in for a rented room in the house of an old childhood friend— both of which are in sorry shape.

The only thing worse than Drew’s s
Published November 27th 2012 by Thomas & Mercer

Zoeytron
The house on Magnolia Lane could have been taken out of a picture book, perfectly manicured lawn and bushes, gorgeous flowers, and even the requisite white picket fence. The occupants seem to match the perfection of their home. What is really peering out from behind those fluttering curtains? Cue music, the theme song from The Twilight Zone should do nicely.

The Neighbors has its moments and it certainly kept me reading, but it was my least favorite offering from this author. Ahlborn's writing c
Lyn
Audio - 3.5 stars
Story - 2 stars

I didn’t think it was possible for a mindfuck read to be boring, but this story proved me wrong. It didn’t help that the shifting from present to past and the various characters’ povs had me so confused at times.

The idea of the story was interesting, dark, and twisted. An attractive, married, middle-aged woman seduces young men into her bed. Once she’s used them sexually, she kills them off. When she starts falling for her latest victim, it creates problems betwe
Char
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won an advanced reading copy of this book in a Goodreads give-away.
I am a huge fan of this author's first book Seed and I was excited to begin this, her second. I'm happy to say that I was not disappointed.

As a young man of 23, Andrew(Drew),is already no stranger to disappointment. Between a father that deserted him and a mother who became agoraphobic as a result, Drew doesn't have much of a chance. Resentful of the fact that he is trapped in his hometown and trapped by his mother's illness,
Gatorman
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Generally disappointing tale from Ahlborn, the follow up to the brilliant Seed, about a guy, Andy, running from issues with his family and into the arms of an old friend with bizarre connections to a pair of creepy husband and wife neighbors. The story is too over-the-top and silly to ever really work, although Ahlborn is game and tries her best and the story does hold your interest, for the most part, to the end. The characters lack real substance except perhaps for Harlow, the wife, who has an ...more
11811 (Eleven)
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I put this off for so long. Ania is 4 for 4 so far at writing kick ass horror novels. I'm looking forward to Within These Walls.
Tina Hayes
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vine, thriller
"The Neighbors" by Ania Ahlborn is a cliched tale about a perverted June Cleaver wannabe trying to lure an innocent young man into her bed, to please her there and to take over as clean up boy for her little serial murder hobby.

I like the main character and his loser roommate as written, but the story was just too much like a SNL sketch stretched beyond all believability. The only adjectives that come to mind are trite and jaded. Harlow walks around in dresses and high heels all day, baking cook
Ashley
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ugh what a disappointment. I expected to love this because Brother was so great. I just found most of the story so boring... Also the constant name switching drove me crazy. Was he Drew? Andrew? Andy? Pick one jeez. Overall I thought this was a below average and dull novel that felt like 600 pages, even though it's less than 300. Not recommended.
John
Not a bad story, but the horror is very low key until the very end, and the protagonist is so naive that its a joke.
Feblub
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5stars. Not bad. But I am missing something. There is an element missing that I can't really put my finger on. And yet, I'm still going to try her other books.
Leah Polcar
This book is the epitome of average. If I remember it at all a few months from now, it will only be because I spent so much time at the beginning trying out a variety of possible plots that would make this story interesting. (view spoiler). However, none of those possible plots developed, only a very silly story that is completely implausible. People, even seve ...more
Petra
Andrew has been a good son all his life. Looking after his alcoholic, agoraphobic mother ever since his father left, Andrew has given up his only love and any chance of a career to stay at home and look after his mother. One day, he snaps and moves in with a childhood friend, Mickey, who lives across town. He's immediately drawn to the picture perfect house next door and the friendly, helpful neighbors, Harlow and Red. But nothing is quite as it seems in suburbia.
Nowhere near as good as Brother.
Marc-Antoine
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Deliciously disturbing, Ania Ahlborn is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.
Michael
Andrew has always lived in the shadow of his alcoholic mother and his father. While his mother tried to get the help that she needs to cure her addiction, Drew has had enough of her shenanigans. It is bad enough that the father that he loved the most leaves without a trace, he is left finding odd jobs to suit him. When he meets in with his friend, Mickey, things are starting to look up, but that is far from a good thing knowing their scored past. Living in a mole rotten place is anything better ...more
Bandit
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Showing no signs of sophomore slump, Ania Ahlborn's second book completely lives up to the promise of her awesomely auspicious debut Seed. Forgoing supernatural themes, the author instead tells a blood curdling tale of the monsters who wear human skin and live right next door, confirming my long time suspicion that neighbors are in fact very dangerous and best left to their own devices. Good fences and all that. Terrific characters, well developed and sympathetic even at their lowest, great paci ...more
Miriam
Mar 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller, audio
3 stars audio
1 abso-fucking-lutely waste of my time star story!

There is no way to describe this book except,,WTF??!!!
Alex findingmontauk1
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
So I do not know what to way about this book that won't give things away. I love that I knew nothing about this and as the story unraveled and more secrets were learned that they were completely and totally brand new and shocking to me. WOW! Great read and makes you wonder what's going on next door to you...
Greta is Erikasbuddy
I freaking ADORED Ania's Ahlborn's novel "Seed". So, when I was given the oppurtunity to read and review her latest book, "The Neighbors", I jumped on it!!

Unlike "Seed" - "The Neighbors" is more suspense than horror. Sure, there is bloodshed and corpses but it's not going to keep you up and night freaking out that there is a demon living in your closet ready to eat you.

If you had this problem with "Seed" then might I recommend giving this book a shot. It's a bit more tamer.

"The Neighbors" is abo
Robert Beveridge
Ania Ahlborn, The Neighbors (Thomas and Mercer, 2012)

Full disclosure: this book was provided to me free of charge by Amazon Vine.

Like a number of other people who have reviewed this novel, I got sucked in by the book description. The marketing folks did a fine, fine job of selling this. Unfortunately, their writing is the best to be found anywhere surrounding this insipid, unscary thriller whose greatest asset is its brevity.

Plot: Drew Morrison is the perfect son: so much so, in fact, that he su
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
My second time reading this book and my feelings are the same! I love me some Ania and having read ALL her work, am never disappointed. While I tend to love some more than others (which is going to happen with any author), I still am fully entertained and fascinated with her mind.

The Neighbors is a solid read. Once again, she reels you in right from the start. She brings in characters that are completely flawed, some of which are entirely insane, and yet you can't stop turning the pages or wanti
Capiz
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hey-i-know-you
I'm not saying anything about this yet, but it's good, and I helped. :)
Alex
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just... not good. But I enjoy other books by this author.
Lauren Scharhag
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it
This review can also be found on Horror-Web:

The Neighbors is the second novel by Ania Ahlborn. Apparently, her first book deals with the supernatural, but here, girl goes old school—we’re talkin’ Edgar Allan Poe territory, with madness, murder, a subterranean chamber and even incestuous Ushers.

Lest you think that this is some stodgy tale of crumbling ancestral manses and tell-tale hearts, rest assured, this book is thoroughly modern. Well, it takes place
Kat
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
The main character was obnoxiously naive, and he and the other men in the story were really stupid. This one followed the stereotype that a beautiful woman can get a man to do literally ANYTHING for them with no trouble at all. Still, I very much enjoyed it as it was a well written story.
Reanna
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My 2nd Ahlborn and I loved it. Definitely disturbing subject matter and creepy. Looking forward to read my 3rd Ahlborn, Seed, next.
Hester
Jul 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
The cover for The Neighbors looked vaguely familiar, that's because the German translation of Die Radleys had a similar cover, and the premises are in adjoining ball parks, and I liked The Radleys so I thought I'd like The Neighbors. Actually strike that, I thought I'd really like The Neighbors.

The synopsis left me with images of a bitter angry young man living in squalor working a shitty job for shitty pay, while next door is the perfect house with the perfect couple. While he's all angry he g
Thomas
Sep 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, horror, e-book
Ah, Ahlborn. I discovered her earlier this year through The Pretty Ones, and then went back and read Seed so I could see how her writing progressed. Both were extraordinary stories; they weren't necessarily original, but they were engaging, effective, and well written. A new author entered my reading world, so of course I got her next book.

That book was The Neighbors, and it's a huge disappointment. It starts out well enough, reading like it's a new take on a "something isn't right in the villag
Ann Sloan
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Well, here we are, back in the Long Black Coffin neighborhood, kind of. Maybe there is a cougar craze going on. Back in my day, it was called a Mrs. Robinson. Oh, well. Reading a couple of the reviews on Amazon I found that some readers would have preferred an even more perverse and twisted book, I assume sexually and sado-masochistically. On the other hand, some found it too gruesome. You can’t please everyone all the time.

I found it too long. Actually, a number of currently published books cou
Charlie
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars The Neighbors by Ania Ahlborn is being marketed as a cross between Blue Velvet and Basic Instinct -- but, I think a better marriage would be Disturbia weds the Stepford Wives. A strange tale of suburbia and sacrifice twists through the pages making this an engaging and captivating read. It's got cookies, drugs, dinners, tea and blood. What's not to love about this psychological twisted tale? Harlow is a true female psycho, both cunning, manipulative and determined in her manner and int ...more
Donald Armfield
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Drew has been taking care of his alcoholic mother after his father just up and left one day. Drew did it all. Grocery shopping, paid the rent with the checks from his father, even made sure his mother had her boose.

He finally says enough is enough and moves out into his best friends apartment. Not what he remembered of his friend as he walks into a nightmare of a mess. Dirty dishes, stacks of takeout boxes just a living mess.....but that's not the only nightmare.

Drew meets the neighbors the per
Tobin Elliott
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, fiction, horror
Nowhere near as good as Seed, but it had some fun moments.

I guess the three things that bugged me were

1 - Drew was a little too nice, at little too moral to either run away from his mother, or to run toward Harlow.

2 - We just never got enough of Drew's roommate Mickey to understand him at all. He could have been a much more tragic character than he was.

3 - Red's abrupt about face irritated the hell out of me. It came out of nowhere.

However, having said that, I loved Harlow. Loved her.

Overall tho
Horror Aficionados : Buddy Read!! The Neighbors by Ania Ahlborn (Spoilers) 38 72 May 21, 2013 04:06PM

• Haunted House (Afraid, #4)
  • What Hides Within
  • The Burning Time
  • Willy
  • Outpost
  • NightWhere
  • The Endlands (Volume 1)
Born in Ciechanow Poland, Ania has always been drawn to the darker, mysterious, and sometimes morbid sides of life. Her earliest childhood memory is of crawling through a hole in the chain link fence that separated her family home from the large wooded cemetery next door. She’d spend hours among the headstones, breaking up bouquets of silk flowers so that everyone had their equal share.

Author of n
“You don't really dream about the things you can become if you know you can't become them.” 10 likes
“They were unlikely neighbors, and unlikely neighbors were the most likely to give each other trouble.” 3 likes