Start by marking “Lumina fantastică” as Want to Read:
Lumina fantastică

Lumina fantastică (Discworld #2)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  96,930 Ratings  ·  2,688 Reviews
In The Light Fantastic only one individual can save the world from a disastrous collision. Unfortunately, the hero happens to be the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world...
Published 2002 by Editura Noesis (first published 1986)

Lyn
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Sir Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series makes me smile.

Three years after Terry Pratchett published The Color of Magic, the first Discworld book, he published the second, The Light Fantastic, having decided convincingly that this was a worthwhile project.

Though the action in The Light Fantastic takes over immediately following the events in the first book, Rincewind has fallen off of the edge of the world, this novel seems to gather momentum from a good but somewhat shaky start and proceed
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2017-shelf
Re-read with buddies!

I'm still very much enjoying these early Pratchett books, especially in mind that I'll be seeing a *lot* more of these folks in the near future. And even if I'll mainly be focused on folks I haven't seen yet, anyway, I'm still enjoying what may as well be an overview primer of the whole Discworld universe.

That being said, I think Rincewind is given a bad rap in the series. I love the hell out of him. He's the ultimate bumbling idiot under the geas of a penultimate Eighth Spe
Helen 2.0
I adore Terry Pratchett. I don't know how to elaborate on that so I'll just share some of my favorite moments in Light Fantastic.

Snarky social commentary:
She is there, down below the mines and sea ooze and fake fossil bones put there by a Creator with nothing better to do than upset archaeologists and give them silly ideas.
Not for the first time she reflected that there were many drawbacks to being a swordswoman, not the least of which was that men didn't take you seriously until you'd actuall
Antonio
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decidí darle una segunda oportunidad al Mundodisco, porque los fans de Pratchett me han comentado que la saga lo merece, no porque tenga algún problema obsesivo compulsivo con dejar cosas sin terminar...

y ¡Wau! las diferencias entre El color de la magia y La luz fantástica son abismales, casi todos los problemas que tuve con el primer libro se resuelven acá, este si me pareció gracioso, si es concluyente y... resuelve una incógnita del primer libro que me molestaba bastante Rincewind, a pesar de
Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Put two of my favourite Discworld characters,the Luggage and Death, into the same book and I am obviously going to be happy! This was a reread of this book which I read the first time many years ago. Pratchett obviously improved his writing as the series progressed and his books became more sophisticated, but these early works are still a delight. I love the humour, the characters, the story and the sheer imagination of the man.
The world is poorer without him but thank goodness he left us so man
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
"Inside every sane person, there's a madman struggling to get out. That's what I've always thought. No one goes mad quicker than a totally sane person."

The second installment in the Discworld series is a bigger, funnier delight. One heck of a Laugh Out Loud read.

Something I consider very special in Sir Terry Pratchett's works is that many authors can pull off a joke every once in a while in their stories but Mr Pratchett managed to keep the whole thing comical, while at the time satirical. Not
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Light Fantastic (Discworld #2), Terry Pratchett
The Light Fantastic is a comic fantasy novel by Terry Pratchett, the second of the Discworld series.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ششم ماه می سال 2016 میلادی
عنوان: مجموعه جهان صفحه - کتاب 02 - نور حیرت انگیز؛ نویسنده: سر تری پرتچت (پراچت)؛ مترجم: آرزو احمی؛ تهران، ویدا، 1392؛ در 290 ص؛ شابک: 9789646807860؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 20 م
ادامه کتاب نخست است از سری جهان صفحه
این مجموعه بیش از چهل رمان است که در زمینهٔ خیالپردازی و طنز و هزل هستند؛
Trish
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars (yes, I actually liked the first one a bit better)

"The important thing about having lots of things to remember is that you've got to go somewhere afterward where you can remember them, you see? You've got to stop. You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home."

Thus, this second book in the Discworld series is about the continued adventure of Twoflower, the very first tourist, and Rincewind, the failed wiz(z)ard with only one spell in his head.
We get to know more about tha
Jamie
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure people have told me about Pratchett and his Diskworld series before, usually working in the phrase "He's the Douglas Adams of fantasy" into the description. But the problem was that I always felt that I had had enough of Adams after the third Hithiker's Guide to the Galaxy book, and whenever I scanned Pratchett's section in the bookstore I was immediately put off by not knowing where to start reading among the approximately five hundred thousand Diskworld books. I'm glad I finall ...more
Gary
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
This book was every bit as fun as the last- maybe more so. Since this is number two in series order, I am getting a feel for where the author was at the point in time it was written. The character development seems more vivid. Rincewind, the Luggage, the Druid sacrifice girl, and the over the hill barbarian fighter are characters that will live with me long after this series is done.
This story has more of a quest feel to it than the last one did. It definitely builds to a strong climax. In order
Elena
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fantasy-sci-fi
3.5-4*
Aunque esta historia empieza dónde lo dejó su primera parte (El Color de la Magia), me ha parecido mucho mejor, menos caótica y más entrañable. Imposible no reírse con los guiños a los cuentos infantiles, Conan (o Cohen xD) el Bárbaro y con las aventuras de Rincewind y Dosflores.
Al final del libro hasta me he dado cuenta del cariño que les he cogido a este par de desastrillos.. (:
Gracias Pratchett por el buen rato!
Rob
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Summary: I enjoyed this one a lot more than The Color of Magic, and it made me glad I read that book first rather than starting with one of the later in the series.

Full Review
A moment of silence for the passing of a great man.

It's a shame it took the passing of Terry Pratchett for me to give this series a second chance. I've had numerous people tell me how much I'd like it. It was recommended again to me when I said I was in a funk and wanted something light and fun just a few days b
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story picks up where the first one left off, with Rincewind, Twoflower and the Luggage in dire peril. They're mysteriously saved and plonked down in the middle of a magical forest. Meanwhile an ominous red star has appeared in the sky of the disk and it appears to be growing each night. The Wizards of Unseen University want to read the Octavo to save the Disc, but Rincewind still has one of the Eight spells stuck in his head, so the hunt for the wizard is on.

I have no idea how many times I'v
BrokenTune
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
So, that's how Rincewind ended up with the Luggage! Right,.....

I have been wondering about this for years. Now I know.

There is no doubt that Terry Pratchett was a master at snarky humor and fantastic world building. No doubt at all. Yet, it takes me forever to get through some his books because his adventures often end up going off in tangents...and I'm not drawn into the Discworld universe enough to necessarily want to follow those side-stories that may or may not become relevant in a later boo
Qt
Dec 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one even more than the first book of the series! I thought it was hilarious, and I found the storyline easier to follow.
There were a couple times where I was a bit confused, but I really enjoyed it and thought it was funny and exciting, with a thrilling ending.
Randy
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Laurel and Hardy. Riggs and Murtaugh. Oscar and Felix. And continuing the grand tradition, the Discworld's own Rincewind and Twoflower. This time the story centers around the Octavo and the 8th spell lodged in Rincewind's head as Discworld plunges towards a fiery red star that may spell doom for the entire planet. Lovecraftian influences are prominent in the early and late goings, although most of the book is a lighthearted slapstick parody of the fantasy genre. The story often appears direction ...more
Mangrii
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Sería un 3,75 o cerca del 4, no lo tengo del todo claro.
Esta es la continuación de El color de la magia, el primer volumen de la saga Mundodisco, siendo la única novela de la saga que continua directamente con los sucesos del libro anterior.
En este libro, tras salvarse de caer por el borde del mundo; Dosflores, Rincewind y el querido equipaje vuelven a meterse en muchos más líos. Una estrella roja amenaza la vida de la gran tortuga ATuin, y la Universidad Invisible (la de los magos) está tratand
Mattia Ravasi
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Video review
Featured in my Top 20 Books I Read in 2017

So good it's unfair - there's a joke every three words and it's still thrilling, and occasionally heartbreaking. Surprinsingly better than The Colour of Magic.
Celise
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The important thing about having lots of things to remember is that you've got to go somewhere afterwards where you can remember them, you see? You've got to stop. You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home."

The Discworld is a Disc sitting on the backs of four elephants, standing on the shell of a giant turtle that is slowly swimming it's way through Space...

And as befits a world so ridiculous, it is filled with an array of equally ridiculous and loveable characters, includi
Lata
1.5 to a very grudging 2 stars. Mostly slogged and skimmed my way through this second Discworld installment. Did not smile, chuckle or laugh at anything, found everyone tedious, with the exception of Twoflower and Luggage; I am inordinately fond of Luggage, who remains the standout for me(view spoiler). I was not fond of any other characters or anything else in the story. Which was far, far, ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
If you read The Color of Magic, you most probably got this book as the the one preceding it (the aforementioned The Color of Magic) ended with Rincewind falling off the edge of the Discworld.... talk about a "cliff-hanger ending". In this one we'll go from there to what could be the end of the Discworld itself and possibly, well everything else. It all depends on Rincewind....scary thought that.

"Synopsisizers" (I believe I just made that word up, so bear with me, please) anyway, "the people who
TL
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

I enjoyed this more than the first book (eve though I do like that one), the pacing was better and the characters more "there" and comfortable in their own skins.

It seems/feels to me Mr. Pratchett hit his stride and had more fun writing this one (I could be wrong)... We get to see more of Rincewind's personality in here and he comes into his own some more.

Twoflower, gotta love him :)

Cohen and Bethan were fun to know, wish they would have had a bigger part though. Cohen was pretty spry for his
Manny
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several of the other reviewers have singled out for special praise the Xena parody with the more appropriately dressed warrior princess. She was indeed very fine, but my personal favorite was the bit where the Stonehenge-type astronomical ritual unexpectedly develops a glitch. "Looks like software incompatibility!" says the know-it-all Neolithic geek. "The Spiral Chant doesn't work on concentric circles!"

And, while we're on rocks, I also loved the trolls, harking back to their glory days in earl
Cathy (cathepsut)
This is not for me anymore. 15 years ago I read the first handful of Discworld books and liked them well enough. But even then this type of comedic writing wasn't really my cup of tea. Now it definitely isn't. Too little plot, too absurd. I laughed a few times, but the story did not engage me much.

My favourite scene was Death learning how how to play Bridge. The druids were fun. And the bits with the trolls. Cohen was a great character.

The idea behind the Discworld is a great one and I heard goo
Barry Pierce
This is reminded me of just how great Terry Pratchett is. His writing and humour is just fabulous and his characters are brilliant. However the plot of this novel is quite reminiscent of a wet tea towel. It doesn't hold a flame to The Colour of Magic and I'm quite glad that Pratchett gave up on the idea of doing sequels after this novel. It's overall very meh with a sprinkling of ugh.
Tfitoby
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical, funny
Unseen University but not as you know it.

With my awful and dreaded exercise regime continuing so too does my revisit to the early works of the Discworld thanks to the readings of Nigel Planer.

Rincewind, last seen falling off of the disc has been saved from certain death once more thanks to spoilers that won't be mentioned and now must save the disc from a fiery death and evil wizards.

The problem with going back to these early novels is that things arenlt as you remember them. It's like an altern
Anuradha
I didn't think it could get better than the first one, but oh, it got monumentally better so. Pro tip: you're going to have to read the second one right after the first, because it really won't make sense otherwise. Full RTC.
Becky
I didn't really care for The Colour of Magic. So I wasn't sure what to expect from The Light Fantastic, but I figured either it would be more of the same, or slightly better. And thankfully, it was slightly better. There was a plot! (Of sorts.) And a single storyline! (Mostly.) And humor! (I lol'ed once.)

All are things that Colour didn't have - at least not in my opinion. But I can't say that I loved Light. I'm thinking that it might just be me, though. I like humor, and I even like bizarre rand
Jeff Straub
Jul 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terry Prarchett is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Not only are the stories rich, funny, and enjoyable, but the format of the storytelling itself adds a whole separate dimension to the books. Pratchett clearly has an incredible understanding of, and love affair with, the English language, and that makes me not want to put these books down.

From spending two pages arguing with the reader about why the female barbarian does not wear impractical sexy barbarian clothes, to subtle word ga
Cameron Smith
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Discworld books as a young fella, and returning to them now has been an absolute delight.

The Light Fantastic begins with Rincewind the failed wizard, Twoflower the tourist, and Luggage the luggage falling off the disc. As Rincewind has a very powerful spell in his head, the universe reconfigures itself so that he doesn't die.

Now, if you have no idea what the Disc is, it's a world where many of Terry Pratchett's adventure's take part on. It happens to be disc-shaped, resting on the ba
  • Raiders of the Lost Carpark
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • The Colour of Magic: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)
  • Saints and Sinners: Paint Your Dragon and Open Sesame
  • Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)
  • The Guns of Avalon (The Chronicles of Amber #2)
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • Noční klub II
  • Terry Pratchett

More about Terry Pratchett

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Inside every sane person there's a madman struggling to get out," said the shopkeeper. "That's what I've always thought. No one goes mad quicker than a totally sane person.” 580 likes
“Of course I'm sane, when trees start talking to me, I don't talk back.” 364 likes