Start by marking “A Stitch in Time” as Want to Read:
A Stitch in Time

A Stitch in Time

(Time Travellers #1)

A stitch in time saves nine…or does it?

Sarah Yates is a thirty something history teacher, divorced, disillusioned and desperate to have more excitement in her life. Making all her dreams come true seems about as likely as climbing Everest in stilettos.

Then one evening the door bell rings and the handsome and mysterious John Needler brings more excitement than Sarah could e
Published February 28th 2013 by Choc Lit (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Stitch in Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stitch in Time

Susan in Perthshire
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I love well written books about time travel and alternate timelines. Count me in for Connie Willis' Domesday Book and Blackout, Diana Gabaldon's first Outlander book, Philip K Dick's The Man in the High Castle, H G Wells Time Machine et al. I like a bit of fantasy and I always appreciate good research. I am quite happy to suspend disbelief for the duration. Throw in a bit of romance and you've got me.
Sadly this book did not deliver what I was hoping for. The idea is neat but it is poorly execut
Shaz Goodwin
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We first meet Sarah as she’s walking down a narrow lane and becomes drenched by a passing bus! Everyone in the café has witnessed her soaking … Her old school friend Karen is waiting for her inside. Sarah finds out her friend is pregnant but doesn’t want to talk about it and rushes off.

For Sarah, disaster follows disaster until John Needler knocks on her door … and then her life changes in a dramatic way! Through Sarah we get to spend time in Sheffield in 1940, Edwardian England, 1920’s and in t
Rea Cobb
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was sent A Stitch in Time to read I was a little apprehensive because of the time travelling theme but I do like to try something different from time to time.

It took me quite a while to get into this book but I think this is because I was so unsure about the whole time travelling thing but I am so glad I gave this book a chance because when the time travelling first came to light in the story our main character Sarah takes it in such a great way, she doesn't seem to take it as a normal da
Susan
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Megan Readinginthesunshine
I was ever so excited about starting A Stitch In Time, especially when I heard it had a time-travel element to it. The only time-travel book that I had read previously to this was The Time Traveler’s Wife, and I thoroughly enjoyed it so I was looking forward to seeing what part time-travel would play in this novel.

The story opens with Sarah Yates being drenched by a bus and having a bad day, which was a sign of worse things to come. Fast forward eighteen months and Sarah has just arrived home fr
Leah
When I first read the synopsis for A Stitch In Time, I wasn’t sure it was my kind of novel. Time travel? No, thank you. But instead of just dismissing out right, as once I might did, I took a look at the preview of the novel, and I was hooked. I was captivated, and I was so excited to read and review the novel. I started it just before a four-day stint at work, and finished it after finishing my four-day stint and the best part was, in between that break, I didn’t forget a single thing that happ ...more
Sharon Booth
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I heard about the forthcoming release of this book I knew immediately that I had to buy it. I am a massive Dr Who fan and anything that involves time travel and romance was always going to appeal to me. I couldn’t wait to start reading this and finished it within two days.
A Stitch In Time is very easy to read. The subject of time travel can be unbelievably complicated and baffling, but Amanda James manages to explain the way that it works in her novel in a very easy-to-understand way. I fou
Alison
I'm having a bit of a time-travel 'thing' at the moment.

I can't really make my mind up about this. First I hated the way in which the book used famous sayings about time and explained with respect to the premise of Stitching Time - it was very tortured.

I enjoyed the way in which Sarah travelled back in time and was inevitably a maid and forced to light fires and peel potatoes. I also liked the mixture of people she had to save - not all famous people. The insights into history were also interest
Tara Chevrestt
This was a very fun time travel romance. The heroine is just told one day by a Johnny Depp look-alike that she's an designated time traveler who must go back in the past to save lives, 9 of them, a ricochet effect.

This comes at a time in her life when she needs it, needs a purpose, needs excitement, needs love, as she's just been run through the ringer by her ex-husband.

The time travel escapades were both cute and interesting. She has to be a maid in 1913 with a horribly bossy and evil employer,
Ellen
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I'm disappointed in this book. The potential for it is so good - the protagonist is sent back in time to save lives, and experiences all sorts of historical situations, with all the difficulties associated with them! However, it was ruined by the love story that was inserted in this. It was written in a very rushed form - you could tell the author was just trying to get them together properly as fast as possible, and then add the same cliche drama in with some ex.

I would have liked thi
Isabella
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book even before I read it. And after I read it, I loved it even more. Mandy has taken a really complicated subject in time travel, and actually simplified it for the benefit of the story, and that's quite a feat - I've read other time-travel stories and have usually come up with a reason why it couldn't happen that way, but A Stitch in Time is actually believable. Or at least, logical.

It's good fun, entertaining from start to finish, with some laugh aloud moments, but with a more s
Sorcha O'Dowd

When I heard that Choc Lit was going to be releasing a time-travelling story, I knew immediately that this would have to be bought and devoured within the space of a day. Indeed, by the end I was begging for more, and this begging was made all the more easy by the wonderful world of Twitter where I immediately rushed to ask whether there would be a second book. Fingers crossed!

A Stitch in Time is a wonderful story, not only giving us a unique and intriguing insight into different times of the pa
Lisa
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Blurb from Choc Lit Publishing

A stitch in time saves nine …or does it? Sarah Yates is a thirty-something history teacher, divorced, disillusioned and desperate to have more excitement in her life. Making all her dreams come true seems about as likely as climbing Everest in stilettos.

Then one evening the doorbell rings and the handsome and mysterious John Needler brings more excitement than Sarah could ever have imagined. John wants Sarah to go back in time …

Sarah is whisked from the Sheffi
Beadyjan
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dual-time
I wasn't completely sure about the idea of this book initially, kind of sci-fi/fantasy romance but as soon as I began it, it really reminded me of recent series' of Dr Who. In fact so much that throughout it, in my mind, John spoke with David Tennant's voice (my favorite Doctor Who actor) and it swept me along in a lovely swirl of excitement and continued to entertain and enthrall me as much as this tv show does.

It's a fast paced easy reading contemporary romance which follows the adventures of
Suzanne
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I love time slip themes and the author takes us in a unique direction with this tale. The stories within the story are quite enthralling all the same; however, it won’t appeal to all fans of this genre.

Ms James takes time to introduce Sarah to us. We feel her pain as she questions her own self worth in a tumble of emotions. John comes across as quite steady and self assured as soon as we meet him. Both of the main characters are strong individuals but the author doesn’t spend as much time buildi
Anne Mackle
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the author's first book,Rightous Exposure and enjoyed it but even if I hadn't I would still have be drawn to this book by it's beautiful front cover. Well I heard it was being released for kindle ahead of the paperback publication date I just had to have it. All the rest of my to be read pile were put to one side and I read this book in a day which is unusual for me.
If you read the book description You will know it contains time travel and maybe think of The Time Travellers Wife or Dr Who
Celia
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mandy’s time-travelling extravaganza starts with a drenching for our heroine, Sarah, and hurtles on to give a breathtaking view of life in the American West, the 1920s and the Sheffield Blitz. Sarah starts out as a victim after a disastrous end to her relationship and a double betrayal, but fairly soon begins to gain ground and to get her teeth into the fearsome challenge thrown at her by the delectable ‘Needle’ John. Still nervous, unsure of why she’s agreeing to do the things he asks and afrai ...more
Russ King
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Yates is a history teacher who gets sent back in time to the points in history she teaches at school. She finds the reality of daily life in these different circumstances very different to what she teaches, but the hardest part for her is opening up to the concept of real love.

The re-inventing of the concept of a 'stitch in time' is clever and but there is very little sci fi in this book as it is unashamedly about focusing on an ordinary woman who is far stronger than she ever realised. It
Rose English
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Romance, historical fiction & time travel
Can a ‘Stitch in Time’ really ‘save nine’?

From the start this book had me trapped in time, caught between the pages of this fabulous story. I really couldn't put this book down and it took me longer to read than normal as I wanted to savour every moment.

It's a very magical, humorous and unique story. The description informs us Sarah is a History teacher getting over a broken marriage, which she is frankly much better out of. Then one day a handsome, but very strange visitor knocks on her door,
Anne Harvey
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought at first that this was a straight forward rom com but, to my surprise, is a time-slip novel too. The premise is that time is weak in places and has to be 'stitched' to make it strong again and for things to work out as they should. Teacher Sarah has been badly hurt by her husband getting her best friend pregnant and is determined not to be hurt again. Then she receives a visit from the gorgeous John Needler who informs her that she is a 'stitch' and has to be sent back in time to preve ...more
Angela Britnell
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time slip novels are not usually my thing but I loved this book. Sarah is fed up with her unexciting life but when she meets the intriguing John Needler everything changes. His family has been involved with helping people from the past to find their happy endings and he asks Sarah to go back in time. The book moves seamlessly from the Blitz in WWII to the suffragette movement in London to the American Wild West. I enjoyed Sarah’s gradual travel towards her own happy ending with a man who never t ...more
Sandra
Jun 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah gods what was I thinking ....thought it had an interesting premise....but this book takes trite and fluffy to new levels ....not for me
Shirley Revill
Absolutely brilliant. I enjoyed listening to every word of this story. Recommended.
Marissa
The Mary Sue recommended this for fans of A Wrinkle in Time, which is such an utter crock of crap that I barely know where to begin. Stitch may have a few virtues, but being a Wrinkle readalike is not in the same universe as objective reality.

I'm a total sucker for time-travel romance in various genres, whether that's the Doctor and River Song or The Time Traveler's Wife. I had high hopes for this book, but they mostly fell flat. The real weak point is, sadly, the romance. It's a real instalove
Gina
This is Book 1 in the Time Traveller series.

Sarah Yates is looking for more in her life. She finds herself in her 30's (when did that happen?), divorced, and teaching history to students who aren't really interested in the first place.

On an otherwise normal, boring evening, John Needler appears at Sarah's door and makes her an offer she can't refuse. After all, she's looking for more excitement, right? It appears John can travel back in time.

Sarah soon finds herself in various locations, livin
Tina Milledge
Dana
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a story of a Stitch, who is a person who goes back in time to make sure that history is corrected or goes as planned. The other main person in the story is a Needle, the inbetween the Stitch and "the powers that be" who provide the needed information.
We never know who "the powers that be" are, but we know that the Needle is John, and the Stitch is Sarah. We all know that where there is a man and a woman there will be a romance. It's not an overpowering love story. Just one that carried
Robin
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First off I had no idea this was a romance novel. It had all the elements I can't stand in such a read. Having said that, it was fairly interesting all the time travel and "stitching" things that needed fixing so to speak in the past. At the same time, it was also confusing and didn't really make a lot of sense as to why all this needed be done and how it does but it doesn't affect the future. I thought it kind of silly. It was a decent read tho...it was ok.
Thuan
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf

The book is decent but I just didn't like the setup of the story. You know, the typical average or below average heroine with her super duper uber beautiful best friend that steals her husband. It just seems I've been reading a lot of that type of setups lately and this just grates on me how easily authors use that device to create some quick "tragedy" for the heroine.

I was also quite disappointed how quickly when the hero comes out of nowhere just when the heroine's down on her luck to explai

Julia
This book has been floated by around my TBR list for a long time, and while I’m happy to have it off my list I d by enjoy reading it much at all. This mix of fantasy and romance fell flat on both genres. The Needle and Stitch mythology was clunky and odd, Sarah was awkward in both past and present, and the relationship between John and Sarah managed to be both boring and melodramatic.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Sep 10, 2015 04:44PM
  • Hubble Bubble
  • The Time Baroness
  • Highland Storms (Kinross Saga, #2)
  • Journey to Yesterday (Yesterday, #1)
  • Out of Sight Out of Mind
  • To Turn Full Circle
  • A Tumble Through Time
  • Christmas Without Holly
  • The Third Peril
  • Mercer Street (American Journey, #2)
  • Ain't No Angel (Second Chances, #2)
  • No Such Thing as Immortality
  • A Cipher in the Sand
Amanda James (aka Mandy) was born in Sheffield and now lives in Bristol with her husband and two cats. In her spare time, she enjoys gardening, singing, and spending lots of time with her grandson. She also admits to spending far too much time chatting on Twitter and Facebook! Amanda recently left her teaching role to follow her ambition to live her life doing what she most enjoys—writing.

Time Travellers (2 books)
  • Cross Stitch (Choc Lit)