Start by marking “Hereafter (Afterlife #1)” as Want to Read:
Hereafter (Afterlife #1)

Read Book

Hereafter

(Afterlife #1)

Thirty-six-year-old Irene Dunphy didn't plan on dying any time soon, but that’s exactly what happens when she makes the mistake of getting behind the wheel after a night bar-hopping with friends. She finds herself stranded on Earth as a ghost, where the food has no taste, the alcohol doesn’t get you drunk, and the sex...well, let’s just say “don’t bother.” To make matters ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Eternal Press

To ask other readers questions about Hereafter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hereafter

Kitvaria Sarene
Finished 3* Rather good audible version available!

I am not sure if I even like the main character? But her voice was a good one to tell the story, and it kept me hooked. I definitely liked her sidekick more than her.
Jonah has some things going on in his life - but while it is hinted at over and over, we never get to know what. I felt he stayed a bit of a cardboard cutout teenager to bounce the MCs character off of when needed. I would have loved to learn more about him.
He seemed to be a bit in
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Full Review:
*I received a free ecopy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.*

Sometimes I hate that I have to give books a star rating, and this is one of those times because there were so many things about this book that weren't necessarily positive or negative but rather ambivalent and thought-provoking and atypical. I actually have a lot of thoughts swirling around in my head, so I'm going to split this into sections.

1) The Main Character

I looked at a lot of re
Laura *Little Read Riding Hood*
I am always nervous when I read a book about life after death. Not because I am religious and offended or anything, but just because most some of them are SO BAD. Fortunately, this is not one of the bad ones.

Have you ever read a book where you didn't really like the main character, but still liked the book? That is this for me. Irene makes bad decision after bad decision. Starting with driving home black out drunk and crashing her car into the water. I am sure you are asking yourself, "But how c
Esmerelda Weatherwax
3.5, decent urban fantasy based on the afterlife. longer review to come.

This was part of Fantasy Factions grouping and has since been eliminated.

Plot:

Irene is a 36 year old woman who still likes to party, the book opens with her hungover and heading home thinking of excuses to call out of work because she feels so shitty. It’s not the first time either, she’s used every excuse under the sun and doesn’t know how many more times her boss will let this slide.

She gets home and sees that she’s missed
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
This review was originally posted with a guest post from the author on my blog on 12th September, here

in the beginning
Sometimes, when I’m reading and reviewing a book, I often kick myself for never introducing half ratings on the blog. Personally, I can’t stand them. It’s one of those things that just really irks me but there are a few times when I find myself wondering why this is. While reading Hereafter, I have had this very feeling. I almost want to scrap my rating system just to accommodate
Fangs for the Fantasy
Even though she has to work the next day, Irene goes out drinking with the girls. Her friends sensibly tell Irene to take a cab with them but Irene, realizing that she needs her car to get to work the next day hops behind the wheel of her car. Irene then suddenly finds herself standing on the side of the road next to her car. It takes a while for her to realise that not only is she dead, no one can see her or hear her. Luckily for Irene she meets, Jonah whose interest in death rituals has allowe ...more
Danielle (Bookwhoreblog) Perez
After a night out drinking with the girls, Irene wakes up on the side of a road. Not really sure how she got there, or why some Good Samaritan didn't stop to help her, Irene jumps in her car to drive back home. Once home things just don't seem to be adding up, like the amount of missed calls she has, or the endless amount of mail at her door. In full blown panic Irene bumps into a boy names Jonah who breaks the news about her untimely death to her. The two characters set out on an adventure to g ...more
Chrissi
I have had Hereafter on my radar for a while now. I do read a lot of YA books, so I’m always on the look out for something adult/paranormal/fantasy! I thought Hereafter didn’t have the most likeable main character, but it was an enjoyable book nonetheless.

Hereafter starts with Irene and the girls. They’re spending a night out drinking. However, the night doesn’t end well for Irene. Irene wakes up on the side of the road, unaware of how she got there, or why no one has helped her. Irene drives ba
Cats of Ulthar
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cats of Ulthar by: Making Connections
Review of Hereafter by Terri Bruce

5 Stars

I REALLY enjoyed this Paranormal story. Author Terri Bruce demonstrates a vivid and creative imagination, and gives us a “land of the dead” that, honestly, is pretty similar to the “land of the living,” only with less fun, excitement, and consequences. (Our newly dead protagonist Irene, for example, drinks to excess-or it would be excess in a living individual, which is exactly WHY she is “newly dead”) with no effects and no consequences beyond boredom).
Heather Boustead
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hereafter
By Terri Bruce

After a night of bar-hopping with her friends Thirty-Six year old Irene gets into her car and starts to drive home, when she wakes up she is on the side of the road and she soon realizes she has been gone not just over night but for days. When she is wandering around she runs into a fourteen year old boy who explains to her that she is actually dead. Now Irene is determined to find the “tunnel” and make her way to heaven.

This is an interesting look into a ghost story, it
Katerina
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a book. Wow! To sum it up - witty, sarcastic, funny, smart, and a good book to curl up and read until you're too sleepy to see the words. This book shows the afterlife of Irene Dunphy, a 30-something year old woman who liked to party a little too much, resulting in her death. When she learns that she's dead, she meets this 14 year old kid, Jonah, who is really book smart.

You can really tell Terri did her research as I learned facts about the different beliefs of dying through the words of
John Henry
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is going to be the first book I read when my Kindle Touch arrives on Wednesday!

And OK, this is five stars not just because I am friends with Terri, but it's really GOOD!

Hereafter is a book about death, the afterlife, but it's really about Life and Living.

High five to Terri on her accomplishment! Great read.
Kim
Aug 29, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is currently on my really really want to read list, because it just sounds sooo interesting.
All the details about death sound nice!
Hopefully I can get it soon and review it...
Grr.
Stefanie
Not gonna lie: I purchased this book on accident. I was reading the Kindle sample for it and oops - finger slipped. I decided to give it a chance anyway and I'm glad I did. The main character is kind of a hot mess, and there's a weird semi-romance with a fourteen year old, and just those two details alone should tell you this is a ballsy, unusual story after "life" after death. And I ended up being into it.

*light spoilers ahead*

This book is right off the bat unusual in that it focuses very littl
Lexie
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit this book really wasn’t what I expected. I thought it would be much more action packed, filled with intrigue and fight scenes; however that wasn’t the case. It was much slower paced filled with a chance to look back on one’s life and reflect the choices that were made whether directly or indirectly. I had a hard time really getting into this book; in fact it took about 130 pages until I started to actually feel a pull to keep reading. Then I couldn’t finish until I raced into the ...more
Jill Elizabeth
Honestly, I've finished and I feel like there's a lot to talk about but I don't know what to say... I'm going to do something I don't normally do and start with the negatives. I did NOT like this protagonist. In fact, I can honestly say that I found Irene Dunphy one of the least sympathetic, most unlikable characters I've come across - and not because she's so spectacularly evil or horrifying but because of the banality of her selfishness, which I think is altogether emblematic of the current ME ...more
James Latimer
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indies, spfbo, women
I read this as part of SPFBO, and am glad I did. It's not the sort of book I would normally pick up, what with the real-world setting and the paranormal. Despite the reprehensible action that starts things off, and the obviousness of the outcome, something grabbed me about the protagonist--and the setting. The former is very forthright, and never really asks the reader to feel sorry for her; the latter is very well realised, and the city of Boston seems as much a character as anyone else. That s ...more
Natasha Clark-French
This was an ok book. I hated the Irene though so that made it hard to get through. But there are some poignant moments and quotes that I enjoyed. Overall, I'm glad I read it but I doubt I'll reread it and I don't really have a desire to continue the series.
Sharon
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was so slow. I finished it but it wasn't to my liking.
Rae Stoltenkamp
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read. A great concept. Very intriguing. Made me want to read the rest of the series. Always a good thing in a piece of introductory writing.
Rebecca
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hereafter by Terri Bruce was a brilliant and epic thought-provoking read that has filled my mind with crazy, crazy thoughts about the afterlife. The imagination and ideas behind this story have set my curiosity alight and I'm suddenly consumed with thoughts about what happens when we leave this world.

Irene Dunphy is Terri Bruce's main character in Hereafter and for the entirety of the story, my mouth was hanging slightly open in awe of the ideas that were written across the screen of my kindle.
Sherry Fundin
"Why are you staring at me?"

"Well, it's just, because...you know. You're..." "Well...dead"

When she awoke in the morning, it all came back to her. She had searched the web for information about ghosts and the after life, but found nothing describing her situation.

She got in the shower and brushed her teeth. She felt, just because she was dead, that was no reason she shouldn't take care of normal hygiene.

Suddenly, it came to her. There must be others in the same situation as hers. So she left the
Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)
Original review here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2013/02/indie-book-review-hereafter-afterlife-1.html

Hereafter follows a 36 year old woman named Irene. She loves her independence, she loves her job, she loves to party. After a night out with friends, she wakes up with no memory of the night before. She thinks she has been drugged or something. So she heads home to sober up. But she finds out that she has missed many calls and there is a week's worth of mail in front of her door. On a vi
Parajunkee
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
PJV Quickie: This was one of those books that I went in expecting a certain thing and then getting something entirely different. Surprises are always fun, and Terri Bruce delivered a very unique surprise.

Review

What was I expecting? Another Urban Fantasy type novel, maybe with a bit of dry or zany humor thrown in to keep things rolling. Which in the beginning is what Bruce delivered, but then the novel slowly morphed into a very introspective type of discovery novel that at points was quite depre
Juana
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Before I won an ebook copy of Hereafter I had read the first few pages of the book. As soon as I read them I knew this book would be a really good read specially because I believe in a lot of the things that where talked about in the story. In some parts of Mexico people have a tradition called El Dia de Los Muertos it is very similar to the Chinese celebration and their believes but it is celebrated two days only November 1st and 2nd. I celebrate it every year and always set up my altar with my ...more
Maghon Thomas
Well, this one is very unique. And let me say right up front that I seriously do not like the main character, but I actually really like the story. :) This one takes you on a journey about all the different aspects people and cultures have for the afterlife. What really happens to you when you die? The amount of effort and research put into here was amazing. I learned so many things. It really does make you think.

So Irene is a bitch, times 5, with really stupid decision making skills and a total
Erin Zarro
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very different book that I really enjoyed.

Irene is our main character, and she wakes up on the side of the road dead. At first she doesn't believe it, but then she figures it out when no one except other dead people can see her. She meets this teenager named Jonah who isn't dead but CAN see her, being he's been astral projecting himself. He has a wealth of knowledge on the afterlife, different cultures and different ideas, and I found that so fascinating.

So Irene is understandably ups
Katie
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Irene wakes up post drunk night out with her girl friends, but not in a normal place. Instead, she’s on the side of the road, trying to remember how she got there. Recalling the previous night’s events, Irene realizes her memory of the night is incomplete. This is not a pleasant realization, and neither is the pile of mail she finds at her house or the concerned voice mails on her machine.

It isn’t until a boy — a genius kid obsessed with life after death — tells her she’s dead that Irene really
L. M. Warren
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r
This book was given for an honest review.
Read2Review
3 stars

I am honestly struggling with this one. I love all the side characters and really, really dislike the main character.

I will start with some of the likeable things.
So the supporting characters are all pretty unique. With very few personalities with similar traits. It's decently written with few mistakes. There was one sentence though that no matter how many times I read it I could not understand what it meant.
I was intrigued by the pre
Missy
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r
I received this book in exchange for an honest review by the Author and the "Lovers of Paranormal" Group on Goodreads. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity!

Hereafter by Terri Bruce is an intriguing story that pulls you in from the very beginning. I was captivated by the creativity of the storyline and the wold the author cleverly created. I immensely enjoyed the story, I kept picking it back up to find out what going to happen next, and I was genuinely curious to see how it would end.

Irene
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Blake Soul
  • Deadly Road
  • Celeste Files: Unlocked (Psychic C.O.R.E, #1)
  • The Mirror & The Meretrix (Blackstone & Brenwen, #1)
  • Eden
  • The Awakening (Project Eve #1)
  • The Foul Mouth and the Cat Killing Coyotes (The King Henry Tapes #2)
  • Icy Passage
  • Revamp
  • Dead Girl Blues
  • Pokergeist
  • Island Ghosts
  • Light a Candle for the Beast
  • A Thousand Yesteryears (Point Pleasant, #1)
  • Shadow of the Oak (A Sal Van Sleen Adventure)
  • Under-Heaven
  • The Middle Aisle (Lancaster House)
  • Dark Curtains
Terri Bruce has been making up adventure stories for as long as she can remember. Like Anne Shirley, she prefers to make people cry rather than laugh, but is happy if she can do either. She is the author of the paranormal/contemporary fantasy "Afterlife" series, which includes Hereafter (Afterlife #1) and Thereafter (Afterlife #2), and several science fiction and fantasy short stories, including " ...more

Afterlife (3 books)
  • Thereafter (Afterlife #2)
  • Whereafter (Afterlife #3)