Start by marking “His Majesty's Hope (Maggie Hope Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
His Majesty's Hope (Maggie Hope Mystery, #3)

His Majesty's Hope

(Maggie Hope Mystery #3)

World War II has finally come home to Britain, but it takes more than nightly air raids to rattle intrepid spy and expert code breaker Maggie Hope. After serving as a secret agent to protect Princess Elizabeth at Windsor Castle, Maggie is now an elite member of the Special Operations Executive—a black ops organization designed to aid the British effort abroad—and her first ...more
Published May 14th 2013 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about His Majesty's Hope, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
CJK He was a double agent, part of Cambridge 5, and later defected to Soviets.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jean St.Amand Yes, that made absolutely NO sense. She was basically chucking her best friend, Elise, under the bus, by ratting her out to her Commandant Mother, to…moreYes, that made absolutely NO sense. She was basically chucking her best friend, Elise, under the bus, by ratting her out to her Commandant Mother, to possibly save her Jewish husband...and if Clara hadn't fallen out of favor with the Nazis, I'm sure she would have sent Ernst to his death. (less)

Start your review of His Majesty's Hope (Maggie Hope Mystery, #3)
Julie
His Majesty’s Hope by Susan Elia MacNeal is a 2013 Bantam publication.

This third installment in the Maggie Hope mysteries, finds Maggie more deeply involved with Hugh, but also being commissioned to aid the British affairs abroad, which has her jumping out of airplanes and takes her all the way to Berlin, where she makes several horrifying discoveries, and becomes better acquainted with her mother’s side of the family.
!!!
She has her hands full, and the suspense at times, is quite unbeara
Marci
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Maggie Hope's third spy novel adventure is a thrilling ride, tightly plotted with good historical research and better handling of the issues I did not like in the first two installments of the series.

But again I did not like the gay subplot--though this time it is handled much better in its historical context (my complaint last book was that I refuse to believe Princess Elizabeth, as sheltered as she was, knew homosexuality even existed when she was 14, let alone that she thought it
Penny (Literary Hoarders)
Holy smokes another one?!?! Susan! Slow down! I still have to read #2!
Maria
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I won an ARC of this book via a FirstReads giveaway.

This is the third book in the "Maggie Hope Mystery" series. Although I have not read the previous two books, you can read this one out of turn. There are, of course, a few events from earlier books that are referenced, but nothing that you can't figure out.

Maggie Hope is Winston Churchill's former secretary-turned-spy who is sent on her first mission abroad to Germany. Her mission is to deliver radio crystals to a resist
Judith Starkston
If you’re hooked on Susan Elia MacNeal’s series with Maggie Hope, mathematician and British spy during WWII, you’ll be glad to hear that her latest, His Majesty’s Hope, is launching May 14th. Maggie’s deeper into danger than ever. This is a WWII thriller you won’t want to miss; exciting and, despite the subject matter, not overly grim or depressing. MacNeal keeps her sense of humor and fast-paced storytelling.

Maggie’s been trained as a spy and is about to be the first woman dropped behind enemy
Alyssa Goodnight
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
A magnificent addition to the Maggie Hope Mystery series! If you are not reading this series, you are missing something wonderful!

In Susan Elia MacNeal's latest, British spy Maggie Hope has been dropped into Nazi Germany with instructions to plant a microphone in the study of a Nazi official with whom she has a very personal connection. She dispatches that assignment quite easily, but rather than return to England, she takes on the serious risk of working for another high-ranking Naz
Mahoghani 23
Daunting, fearful but determined to complete the mission is Is. Maggie Hope. This mission's hits closer to home. She's up against the mother she's never known and suddenly finds out she has a half sister.

This story takes place during the regime of Adolf Hitler and Maggie Hope has gotten behind enemy lines and she's cutting it real close. Not only does she see her mom, she finds someone that means the world to her.

A good read.
Mara
As you can see from my reviews of Winston Churchill's Secretary and Princess Elizabeth's Spy, I predicted that the second Maggie Hope mystery would be better than the first, and I was duly rewarded. I therefore had high hopes for this third installment, but unfortunately, Maggie's mission to Berlin didn't exactly live up to its promise.

Now with the elite Special Operations Executive, Maggie continues her somewhat maverick approach to acts of derring-do on behalf of His Majesty with a two-pronged mission in
Carolyn
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This third book in the series was very different from the first two books. In this book, the author brings us face-to-face with the horrors of some of what occurred during the time period in Nazi Germany. There were parts that were, indeed, difficult to read. Our heroine, Maggie, once so idealistic and self-righteous, gets a big dose of reality in this book.

This book was even more intense and edge-of-your seat reading than the first two books (and they had me nervous). The author has, once agai
Rebecca Lane Beittel
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Why do we read historic fiction, especially from troubled eras? Why do we subject ourselves to a fragile examination of our darkest hours? I really think that reading novels, associating with characters and with their stories, builds empathy and understanding in ways that reading about death statistics or accounts of battles simply cannot. This is one reason why I love Susan Elia MacNeal’s His Majesty’s Hope – Book 3 in the Maggie Hope series. Ms. MacNeal drew me into the heads and hearts of her ...more
Andrea Guy
If you are looking for a great historical spy novel, look no further than Susan Elia MacNeal's Maggie Hope series. His Majesty's Hope is the third book in this series. These books can be read as stand alone novels, but there are some things that would be easier to understand if you've read the previous two books.

In this book, Maggie is being sent to Germany, to help bring down Clara Hess, who just happens to be her mother. There are a lot of twists and turns. She discovers family sh
Beth
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
I normally really enjoy World War II stories, but I had to force myself to keep reading on this one. Macneal obviously did research on ethnic cleansing and euthanasia in Hitler's Germany, and it's a fact that homosexuality was criminalized in England (and many other places) during that time as well. However, it seems that the main purpose of the book is to persuade us that the morals of today should have held sway in the 1940s. In a way, it's the opposite of Christian novel that exists to preach ...more
Karen ⊰✿
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uno_2017
The best in the series so far as Maggie becomes a spy in Berlin during WWII.
There were a few things that Maggie did, and decisions made by the Government, that seemed a bit implausible and designed purely to push the story along, but I just let that wash over me and enjoy the story.
Not quite a cliffhanger ending, but certainly set up for a show down in book 4.
Kristine
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Writing is fine, if basic. Just not my cup of tea. The spy stuff was too Disney for my taste, but I appreciate MacNeal's dedication to researching the historical period. Overall, the story was flat and expected; I see no reason that this is labeled a "mystery" novel.
Loraine
Rating 3.5

Maggie gets sent out on her first assignment for the British Special Operations unit. She is to be parachuted into Berlin where she is to infiltrate the highest levels of Berlin society as the girlfriend of a German officer who is cooperating with the English. Relying on her quick wit and keen instincts, Maggie is sure she can pull this off. In and out in 4 days, just long enough to plant a radio transmitter in a high echelon officer's desk. But when she is offered a job as
Benjamin Thomas
The third novel in the Maggie Hope historical mystery series takes us down a darker path than the first two books. While the first two contained a lot of historical context, the plots seemed a bit contrived with fairly mild thriller/danger aspects. The romantic subplots were also key to the whole story.

But this third one finds our heroine in a much more serious situation. Following events from the last book, Maggie is now freshly graduated from several training camps and espionage sc
Jaylia3
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just got back from a vacation that was wonderful in almost all ways except that I knew an ARC of His Majesty’s Hope would be arriving in the mail at home and I’d have to wait a week to start reading. Set during WWII, this series features Maggie Hope who has gone from being one of Winston Churchill’s secretaries to being an undercover spy. With a determined personality and a knack for codes, languages, and mathematics Maggie has come a long way since the first book when she worked as one of Win ...more
Lisa
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Maggie Hope sets off on another exciting adventure in this memorable and enjoyable novel by Susan Elia MacNeal. This time she is an S.O.E. operative dropped into the middle of Nazi Germany. Here, she discovers a deadly secret, and meets her half-sister, a Catholic nurse who is also fighting against the evils of the Nazi regime. Unfortunately, the pair have to combat their Nazi mother, a beautiful opera singer.

Much of His Majesty's Hope is based on research about the German resistance
Colleen
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: whodunnit, thriller, ww2
This was my least favorite of the four I've read. There is no mystery to solve, and Maggie at the end I found one dimensional. How someone could witness the horrors of Hitler's regime first hand and have the ultimate reaction she did? (view spoiler) ...more
Valerie Campbell Ackroyd
Sometimes I couldn't read this

At night, when I was about to go to bed. Because I would have nightmares. We Baby Boomers have grown up on stories about World War 2. I don't think any Westerners can deny that they know what happened in Nazi Germany although some Westerners deny the extent of the genocide. It doesn't make it any easier to read afresh of that time however. In fact, as I grow older, and see modern horrors continue, I think it becomes more difficult for me. Have we learned any le
Kimberly
I listened to the audiobook via Overdrive, but wasn't able to finish it in March before the app clawed it back! Then, due to the holds list, I had to wait for two months to finish it. Still, it was worth the wait. I jumped right back into the story without missing a beat. The details that MacNeal includes in her novels makes the stories stay with me, which was a blessing in this case.

There was a new narrator for this third installment in the series and I enjoyed her work. The plot wa
Donna
World War II has now expanded into Britain. Maggie Hope, an expert code breaker, doesn't seem to get rattled by the air raids . Maggie is an elite member of the SOE (Special Operations Executive), an organization formed to aid the British effort. Her first assignment with the SOE is to go into Nazi controlled Berlin and plant a bug in the home of Clara Hess (her mother). Clara is involved with the Nazi's, so now Maggie must infiltrate the highest level of Berlin society.

The secrets she will unv
Jackie
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series really shouldn’t be branded as mystery. It’s much more of a spy and historical fiction book. Otherwise it’s a good book, well written and one can tell a lot of research was done.
Alex  Baugh
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: world-war-2
His Majesty's Hope is the third book in Susan Elia MacNeal's Maggie Hope Mystery Series. Maggie, you will remember, is a Brit who was raised by her aunt in the United States after her parents died in an accident. She went to England to sell her grandmother's house which she had inherited and ended up staying there once the war started in 1939.

In the first book, Mr. Churchill's Secretary, Maggie, who is a brilliant mathematician, found herself working for the PM and is soon caught up
Christal (Badass Book Reviews)

See this review and others like it at BadassBookReviews.com!

Susan Elia MacNeal is a wonderful writer and I have loved her two previous "Maggie Hope" novels, but His Majesty's Hope really took the story to another level. Maggie is deeply and personally involved with the British war effort now and she doesn't come out of it unscathed. The trademark humor and witticism are still found throughout the story, but events that unfold and their effects on Maggie are much darker in this newest outing.

A/>See
Charles
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it
First Reads Review - His Majesty's Hope by Susan Elia MacNeal

I signed up for this book hoping for something of a mystery, something with spies and intrigue. I hilariously enough didn't realize when I signed up for it that it would be set in Germany during WWII, and featuring everyone's favorite villains, the Nazis. Not that the book handles it poorly, but I just don't find the Nazis all that compelling of villains as they are usually depicted, and here there was little enough excepti
Victor Gentile
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Susan Elia MacNeal in her new book, “His Majesty’s Hope” Book Three in the Maggie Hope Mystery series published by Bantam Books gives us another adventure with Maggie Hope.

From the back cover: Susan Elia MacNeal, acclaimed author of Mr. Churchill’s Secretary and Princess Elizabeth’s Spy returns with the latest thrilling adventure featuring whip-smart heroine Maggie Hope, who embarks on a clandestine mission behind enemy lines where no one can be trusted, and even the smallest indiscr
Carl Brookins
Apr 04, 2014 rated it liked it

This excellent historical novel is, of course, fiction all the way, although it is set during one of the world’s greatest real upheavals. It should appeal to readers interested in World War II, in spy and espionage stories, and those who like solid thrillers. It also provides some interesting insight into how the great evil that was Adolph Hitler and the Nazi empire, evolved in the early years of the European war before the entry of the United States.

The novel owes a good deal of its
Jonathan
Though not as good as the first two in the series, His Majesty's Hope was still a quick, well-written read that I enjoyed. Maggie is sent on a secret mission to Berlin, the heart of the enemy, to complete a mission, but when Maggie agrees to work for one of the leaders int he Nazi party she soon becomes involved in a spiral of events that keep getting riskier and riskier. Can she find her way out of the enemy's territory before the enemy finds her?

Maggie and David appear, of course, alon
Cheryl A
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it

After preventing the kidnapping of Princess Elizabeth in the last outing (Author MacNeal is hitting her stride with this third installment of the Maggie Hope mystery series. Although the "mystery" part is a bit of a mystery, the series is still an enjoyable historical thriller. Appealing primarily to women readers, this is still a well researched and well written take on WWII and Britain's world of espionage.

After preventing the kidnapping of Princess Elizabeth in the last outing (
Princess Elizabeth's Spy), Maggie has finally made her way through the training of the Special Operation Executive and is poised to be the first woman dropped behind enemy lines. Maggie's mission is to deliver radio components to the resistance and to plant a bug in the home of German Intelligence leader Clara Hess. The fly in the ointment is that Clara Hess is Maggie's mother, who she long believed to be dead.

As Maggie uncovers an opportunity for additional intel while in Berlin, she tasks a risk and becomes involved with a resistance group who is being aided by her half sister, Elise Hess. Elise has discovered the euthanasia program being ran out of the hospital she works at and is trying to do what she can to stop this program. Not knowing the her connection with Maggie, Elise helps her to get out of Berlin, along with a Jewish doctor and a British airman.

Other characters from previous books have their own story line as well. David, one of Maggie's best friends and her roommate, has a story line about his personal life and Hugh, Maggie's beau and a member of MI5, has an assignment that dovetails with Maggie's mission in Berlin.

This installment is much darker than the first two - as the war goes on, situations become more intense and personal lives become more complicated. The author has crafted both a well paced adventure and well developed characters. Can't wait for the next one!

• Heirs and Graces (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #7)
  • An Impartial Witness (Bess Crawford, #2)
  • A Mortal Terror (Billy Boyle World War II, #6)
  • An Act of Villainy (Amory Ames Mystery #5)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs, #10)
  • The War Against Miss Winter (Rosie Winter, #1)
  • A Game of Lies (Hannah Vogel, #3)
Susan Elia MacNeal is the author of The New York Times, Washington Post, Publishers Weekly and USA Today-bestselling Maggie Hope mystery series, starting with the Edgar Award-nominated and Barry Award-winning MR. CHURCHILL'S SECRETARY, which is now in its 23nd printing. THE KING'S JUSTICE is coming out on February 25, 2020 and she is working on the next book in the series, THE HOLLYWOOD SPY.

Maggie Hope Mystery (9 books)
  • Mr. Churchill's Secretary (Maggie Hope Mystery, #1)
  • Princess Elizabeth's Spy (Maggie Hope Mystery, #2)
  • The Prime Minister's Secret Agent (Maggie Hope, #4)
  • Mrs. Roosevelt’s Confidante (Maggie Hope Mystery, #5)
  • The Queen's Accomplice (Maggie Hope Mystery #6)
  • The Paris Spy (Maggie Hope Mystery #7)
  • The Prisoner in the Castle (Maggie Hope Mystery #8)
  • The King's Justice (Maggie Hope Mystery #9)
“Pull yourself together. You can have a nice big breakdown after you get back to London.…” 3 likes
“The Aryans—athletic like Goebbels, slim like Göring, and blond like Hitler.” Maggie” 1 likes