Start by marking “The Novels of Gillian Flynn: Sharp Objects, Dark Places” as Want to Read:
The Novels of Gillian Flynn: Sharp Objects, Dark Places

The Novels of Gillian Flynn: Sharp Objects, Dark Places

"Gillian Flynn is the real deal, a sharp, acerbic, and compelling storyteller with a knack for the macabre." —Stephen King

This collection, available exclusively as an ebook, brings together the first two novels of Gillian Flynn, author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Gone Girl. In Sharp Objects, Flynn’s debut novel, a young journalist returns home to cover a dark assig
Published July 31st 2012 by Crown Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Novels of Gillian Flynn, please sign up.
Trey Pearce There is no specific order in which they should be read as they are not connected in any way.

If you want to read them in publication order then it is…more

If you want to read them in publication order then it is Sharp Objects, Dark Places, then Gone Girl.(less)

Corinne
May 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
I don't even know what to say. I regret reading two of Flynns books back to back. I feel like I need therapy now.
Kayla
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I have read all three of these novels by Gillian Flynn and I must say that they are some of the best stories I've read in my life. First of all, I accidentally read them in reverse starting with Gone Girl, then Dark Places and Sharp Objects, but if I had to list an order of my favorite to least favorite it would be: Gone Girl (Can't wait for the movie), Sharp Objects (which I finished today) and then Dark Places. It's hard to write good reviews without spoilers so I'll just be as basic and ...more
Ingo
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Started July 23rd 2014 with Dark Places as Sharp Objects might be the BOTM August 2014 read of the Goodreads-Group Psychological Thrillers.
Hopefully I will have finished Dark Places until then.
Well, Sharp Objects did not become the BOTM read.
But I finished Dark Places July 30th, 2014. Nearly tl;dr. The different POVs where expertly concluded, with me guessing the whole time what might have happened at the night of the massacre - and guessing wrong (mostly). The twists up to the conclusion where
Chrissy
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was dark and very troubling, but I enjoyed it. A little disappointed at the end, but still happy I read it. At multiple points in the book I wondered how it was possible that a story like this occurs in someone's imagination.
Romily
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This is Gillian Flynn's chilling debut novel, set in the small suffocating town of Wind Gap. Camille returns to her home town on a journalistic assignment to cover two child murders for her Chicago paper. The penetrating descriptions of the town and its inhabitants create an atmosphere at once surreal and menacing. However the chief success of the book lies in the exploration of destructive family relationships. Flynn has a talent for injecting unease into her narratives, never allowing her read ...more
Kristen
May 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
These books do not have bad plot lines - they are actually quite creative and each could have lent itself to a novel that was truly above bar. However, both books entirely fall apart in the delivery. Sorry GF, but the writing just isn't there in either story. I'd definitely give Sharp Objects the edge between the two, but I could have lived without ever picking either up.
Liz Jurado
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved both of these novels. I preferred Sharp Objects, as I can understand addiction so could better relate to Camille Preaker. I had to devour these books as did not want to stay in the "dark places" too long. All her books are twisted, and even when I thought I knew "whodunit" I was mistaken. Not light hearted reading, but absolutely fabulous!
Karen
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Her best book...very disturbing...loved it
Becky Moser
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Whew! Both of these are so dark! but still, excellent reads. I didn't figure out the "whodunit" on Dark Places.
Diana
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I tried to give these books a 3.5 rating, but apparently that isn't possible. I enjoyed Sharp Objects more, although when I reflect upon them both, I think the plot and twists of Dark Places are better. Maybe because I read them back to back and was getting tired of Flynn's uber-dysfunctional families?
Flynn really is a master of the psychological thriller, with evocative writing that backs up her Byzantine plots.
Rebecca Dunbar
May 26, 2013 rated it liked it
SHARP OBJECTS;

Well - flew through the book, very readable and fast-paced. But also very dark, not for the faint-hearted (me) .... In desperate need of a Disney fix if I'm to have any chance of sleeping tonight.
Preferred Gone Girl, as it was more polished and slick.
Bonnie
Dec 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
Very disappointed with this book. I picked it up with high expectations as I enjoyed Gone Girl so much. The "mystery" in this story was very easy to guess and the characters were easy to care about.
Libby Howard
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Both dark and twisted but in a can't stop reading kind of way.
Carollyn Gehrke
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Her style "recipe" holds true in these two books and are just as enjoyable as Gone Girl.
Linda
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked 'sharp objects' better than 'dark places' but still liked both books. Very dark stories but interesting
Kelly Cole
Gone Girl her best. I was not overly fond of Sharp Objects in the least. Just didn't have the climatic tone Gone Girl and Dark Places did.
Bri
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Out of all three of her books I've read, this one was my favorite. So many twist and turns.
Joan
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avid Reader

I have finally finished reading book novels. Sharp Objects was excellent. I wanted to make sure that I finished reading it before I saw the series on HBO. I wasn't disappointed! The final episode airs this Sunday. If course,the book is better than the series, but that is expected. Any Adams does an excellent job as the haunted and traumatized protagonist who is also a cutter. Her mother and half-sis ter are two less in a pod. The ending is totally unexpected. I had a difficult time re
Ava
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only read Sharp Objects in this -- I didn't realize it also had Dark Places in it until I had to return it, so this review is just for the former. It was definitely attention-grabbing, but more in a sensationalist way than because of anything substantive or truly interesting. I had also read repeatedly that Flynn's work is very feminist in its tone and approach, but if this book is any indication, that is really super not correct. Aside from the weird undertones of sexism from the protagonist ...more
Patti Stewart Goetsch
Caution

If you enjoy reading about the dark places of humanity and feeling nauseated from the first word to the last, Gillian Flynn is your author. I strong-armed my gritting teeth through these two books. Never will I choose to read her again. Having said that, Ms. Flynn can weave a tail so completely and honestly it physically hurts. Obviously this style appeals to many, just not to me.
Dana *
After reading all three novels, I have definitely added a new favorite author to my list. Sometimes I saw the movie/series first, sometimes I read the book first. Very well done in any case.

A mind that conceives of Diondra and Amazing Amy is a storyteller i want to follow. The author doesn't get stuck in any class, and can tell a story from many perspectives. Love it!!
Jenna
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two for one ebook. Both books were psychological thrillers, had somewhat predictable twists, both were quick reads. I’m kind of tired of this genre though, the ruined-woman trope is overdone at this point. I feel like I’ve read quite a few of these and they all kind of play out the same.
Chy Green
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both stellar reads you'll not put down for a moment until you finish.

Both stories are incredible, fascinating, absorbing tales that will have you twisting and turning until the reveal very end! Superb!
Chance
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, love the plot twists and the Missouri/Kansas setting. Dark Places was fairly predictable after reading Sharp Objects but that didn't take away enough mystery to keep guessing myself. Now, on to Gone Girl :) loved the movie, I can only imagine the book.
Lindsay Bowler
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful!

Really enjoyed this book and by the end, I couldn’t read fast enough to figure out who did it! I love Gillian Flynn’s style with the time period and point of view changing constantly. ...just as in real life, there’s more than one side to the story!
Tracie
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting twist

It was interesting how quickly her mind changed when she was offered money to find the real killer. It was a long read, but I couldn't put it down and wanted to solve it in my sleep.
Ashley
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed both stories but sharp objects was definitely better in my opinion. The ending seems like more could have been said though in sharp objects. And the same with dark places. Dark places was hard to read because the main character is written to be so unlikable but relatable in a way.
Suzi Bezemer
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sharp Objects, Dark Places

So good! As usual with Gillian's books, I couldn't put it down! I totally recommend this wonderful, funny, and thrilling read!
Jenny Baker
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Sharp Objects - 3 stars
Dark Places - 4 stars
Jayme
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good!!

Both stories were excellent. Plenty of suspense and twist and turns. Characters are well-written and well-developed. Definitely recommend these books.
  • Daddy's Girl (Clare Hart, #3)
  • Svara om du hör mig (Hagfors, #3)
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 4: Blood Lust
  • Gone Girl: by Gillian Flynn -- Review
  • The Food Allergy Mama's Baking Book: Great Dairy-, Egg-, and Nut-Free Treats for the Whole Family
  • Mr. Suicide
  • It Happened One Night (Texas Cattleman’s Club: A Missing Mogul #7)
  • The Thief
  • Bewitched: In Too Deep\Married to the Boss
  • Bayou Moon
  • Hamfist Over The Trail
  • Ascension Day Part 2 of 2
  • Getting Real
  • My Vanishing Twin
  • Scalped, Vol. 10: Trail's End (Scalped, #10)
  • Puzzlebook: 102 Puzzle Quizzes
  • DMZ, Vol. 11: Free States Rising
  • Strangeville Part 1
Gillian Flynn is an American author and television critic for Entertainment Weekly. She has so far written three novels, Sharp Objects, for which she won the 2007 Ian Fleming Steel Dagger for the best thriller; Dark Places; and her best-selling third novel Gone Girl.

Her book has received wide praise, including from authors such as Stephen King. The dark plot revolves around a serial killer in a Mi
“Sometimes when you let people do things to you, you’re really doing it to them.” 1 likes
“The children in the woods play wild, secret games.” 1 likes