Start by marking “The Devil's Metal (Devils, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Metal (Devils, #1)

The Devil's Metal

(Devils #1)

It’s the summer of 1974 and 21-year old Dawn Emerson has only three things she wants to do: compete one last time in the Ellensburg Rodeo, win back her ex-boyfriend Ryan, and become the best damn music journalist at Central Washington University. But all her plans are left in the dust when she’s contacted by Creem magazine to go on the road with one of her favorite groups, ...more
Published September 20th 2012 by CreateSpace (first published September 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Metal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Metal

Karina Halle
Sep 16, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Can I review this? No? What do you mean some people look down on authors reviewing their own books? I reviewed Darkhouse and gave it four stars! Oh right. That was back in the day when I didn't know any better (I still stand by that review! It was honest, yo).

So I can't "rate" the book because I'm a bit biased and would give it five stars. I mean, I love this book, even though by the time I finished it I felt like I'd been on a dusty, sweaty tour bus with a bunch of drugged-out and oversexed roc
Alejandro
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One heck of a book!

SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL

I knew about this book thanks to the enthusiastic review by a reader friend. She commented so highly about this book that it picked my curiosity and interest.

I checked the premise of the book and I found it so cool that I knew that I want to read the novel at some moment.

However, the second book in the now a series came out (back then in 2013) and I knew that if I really want to read it, it was better to hurry up.

I started to read the book without
Debra

WHAT.A.BOOK.

Another novel by Karina Halle that I have devoured within a couple of hours and that I ended up loving to pieces.The Devil's Metal was again a roller coaster ride of events that kept me glued to the pages the entire time I was reading it.

In this book it's all about rock and roll (and everything that comes with; sex, drugs, moody musicians...you name it!)

The story takes you back to the 1970s rock scene where a young aspiring music journalist Dawn Emerson is offered the chance of a
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
★★★★★SHOCK & AWE★★★★★

♫♪Black shadow hangin' over your shoulder
Black mark up against your name
Your green eyes couldn't get any colder
There's bad poison runnin' through your veins
Evil walks behind you
Evil sleeps beside you
Evil talks arouse you
Evil walks behind you♪♫
~ AC/DC "Evil Walks"

description

And fear.... This is a Karina Halle book. They are mindfucking awesome and sometimes even creepy and scary.

I felt horror, a terror so complete that I had one thought: I was going to die there on the stage. I w
Fathima
“We all lost our souls when we joined this band...... "

This was soo me , when I finished reading this book !!! It took me a few minutes to register the last few closing lines of the book and the chapter and then all hell broke loose , in my head !!! Holy hell , Karina Halle does it again ! Can this woman get any better ?? Hell fucking yeah ! She has gotz talents and the skillz to write ! The world needs to know her , ASAP !! Right now , all I can do is this :

applause Pictures, Images and Photos

and this :

I'm usually like a
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
Buddy reading with the sweet girls Alex and La-lionne :)

Karina Halle is brilliant!!Not only are the characters so real and likable but the plot moves so well.It felt like a movie being played out in my mind!!
She has become one of my favorite authors not only for her writing style but her strong character developments and the fantastic plots!!

description

Let's start our trip back in the summer of 1974..

The main character Dawn is given the opportunity of a lifetime as both a fan and as someone who hopes to b
Stacia (the 2010 club)
1 part Almost Famous + 1 part sexually charged anticipation + 1 part campy horror movie = this shiznit.

3.5 stars. I'm going to call it a good day of reading, but I did wish for more creep-tastic happenings from the jump. I'm pretty sure that most of us guessed what was going on pretty early in the game based on the synopsis, so I'm not sure why we had to wait to find out until close to the end. Either that, or I just have a thing for dissecting book titles.

The first half of the book had me curi
Karen
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
…be careful what you wish for
[image error]  photo dandelion_on_fire_by_alessandraplasterpad-d5dxc2q.jpg

What an amazing , crazy, fucked up story!!!
I was totally unprepared for the wild ride I was about to take when I picked up this book. I had no idea what to expect, and even if I did, it wouldn’t have prepared me for this epic glimpse into the world of rock and roll, this world that is Hybrid….

It was an epic, flawless, tingling-deep-in-my-belly type of show..... It was a high unlike any other, a wave of perfection and human unity. It was all the purple
Brittni
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 Rock And Roll Stars!!!!

photo gif8_zpsf2449787.gif

I really liked this book!! I've said this before and I'll say it again... You can never go wrong with a Karina Halle book. She is absolutely amazing. This book contains the basic four elements of the 70's: sex, drugs, alcohol and rock'n'roll mixed with a little bit of horror.

Dawn aka Rusty is a girl from a small town trying to make it big in the music business as a journalist. She gets this amazing offer to join one of her favorite bands on tour and to document her exp
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars

“Hell is empty and all the devils are here.”

― William Shakespeare, The Tempest

“Everyone has the chance to become dangerous. If the right weather patterns are created. If the right feelings are invoked…feelings of injustice. Jealousy. Feelings of being owed something they believe they have a right to have. To…collect. We all have it in us to become a danger, either to others or to ourselves. It’s only a matter if the right clouds are brewing. Certain clouds will crea
Brenna
Man… can Karina Halle write her ass off!

I knew after reading the EIT series, that I had to and will always read anything that Karina writes. Let me just say that this did not disappoint, not one freaking bit! The writing was descriptive and realistic and awesome!

And the characters, oh the characters! The development was perfection! There were so many of them and I felt for pretty much all of them – whether it was love or hate or something else, I felt. We aren’t just bombarded with tons of inf
Lucia
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I feel like Karina Halle wrote this book exactly for me. There were interesting and never annoying characters, sarcastic remarks, original ideas and captivating (sometimes creepy) plotline. It was a perfection and I loved it!

Anyway, to sum this book up, The Devil's Metal is about 70s music...

about sex, drugs and rock&roll...

and about some serious demon stuff...
(view spoiler)

My Dawn and Sage:

Dawn is 21 years old student, dreaming of becoming respected female music journ
Lise *friends don't flag*

You Are Engaged!!!!

I have devoured everything Karina Halle has written. The EIT series is one of my favorites and I highly anticipated her first non EIT full length novel, The Devil’s Metal. Did I think it would be good, yes- I love Karina’s unique writing style: perfect detail, witty, engrossing, personal with a mind-blowing supernatural creepiness. Her characters are ones that you fall in love with, route for, hate, cry over and never ever forget. Did I think I would love this new book, first
☆ Sammy ☆彡
5 "It was an epic, flawless, tingling-deep-in-my-belly type of show" Stars!

Set in the 1970's... The Devil's Metal is about a small town, farm girl by the name of Dawn Emerson who has large aspirations to become a successful music journalist.

"Being a music journalist in Ellensburg, Washington, home of a big rodeo and miles of Timothy hay, was difficult. Being a female music journalist was almost impossible."

So when Creem magazine offers Dawn the job of a lifetime, she jumps at the chance to work
Nina
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arc
No one could pull this off...except for Karina Halle! :P <-- And I was right. This book is beyond awesome and is every bit as addicting as EIT with another great heroine and an abundance of hot guys. And music. Lots and lots of music.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought long and hard about whether I should translate this review to English but ultimately decided against it. I have so much to say about this book and I just feel better doing so in my own language.
I'm positive that there are g
✝✝ Ⓓaisy ❣ ✝✝
I been in love with Karina's writing since I read Love, in English. So, I decided to venture into paranormal.
Devil's Metal was light from the beginning, felt very normal.

What I missed was the connection between darling Sage and Dawn. From no connection, suddenly they were jumping bones. Wish there was more of Sage in the story too as he was missing much in first half.

The story was ok captivated as it had mystery that going over and action only took place last 20%.
The writing was nice to read.
Alex

BR with Her Majesty La-Lionne and the exquisite Pavlina on Wednesday 29th!!! :D

First of all, look at that cover!! Gorgeous, isn't it? Ok, moving on.

I'm sure everybody has at least heard of Supernatural - the excellent tv show about two brothers traveling the world and fighting monsters.

And I'm also sure you remember the episodes featuring the crossroads demon.

Hosted by imgur.com

What is a crossroads demon, a newbie might ask? Well, it's a demon that can grant you whatever your heart most desires, for a price. A pri
♥Rachel♥
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Buddy read with Glass!
Karina Halle managed to suck me into another story with this creepy, and captivating tale.

Dawn is a college student looking to make it in journalism, more specifically as a journalist covering and reviewing rock music bands. When an offer to tag along with Hybrid, one of her favorite rock bands, and chronicle their tour, Dawn is thrilled, because she’s passionate about Hybrid and their brand of rock. She’s a bit star-struck at first, but keeps a level head determined to be professional. Hybrid
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
I can only think of: What the actual fuck!!!!!???? Great writing, great story. Still, I'm fucking pissed. I'm pissed at the ending. I'm pissed at the romance. I'm pissed at these stupid ass characters. I'm so pissed, I'm speechless. Grrrrrrr....
Megan
4.5 stars - I won The Devil's Metal ARC in a giveaway contest from the author.

Be careful what you wish for...

Sex, drugs, and rock and roll… oh my! When Karina Halle said that we were in for a wild ride with this book, she wasn’t kidding. As her first book outside of the Experiment in Terror series, I’d say she knocked it out of the park.

The Devil’s Metal is told from the perspective of our narrator, Dawn. She’s a sweet, but strong 21 year old red-head (I am too so I obviously love that detail)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**4.5 stars**

Karina Halle how did you manage to make me simultaneously love and hate a book so much?!

Reasons why I should hate this book:
1) I don't like horror and avoid anything scary
2) I am not a big fan of books centered around rock stars or bands
3) I don't like books with cliff-hanger endings

Then please explain to me why I couldn't put this book down? What sort of twisted magic do you have Karina?! I was biting my lip to pieces while reading this book.

"The Devil's Metal" was one spooky ride
Emmy
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
...The road to hell is paved with good intentions...
(Unknown)

Review posted at Sinfully Delicious Book Reviews

Karina Halle has become one of my favorite authors not only for her writing style but her strong character developments and fantastically written plots. She's an auto buy for me and I'm so happy to read something new straight from the mind of this creative genius.

Ever wonder what it would be like to be on a tour bus with men of mass sex appeal, alcohol, drinking and demons at every stop?
Harriet ~ bookworm
*3 WEIRD STARS!*

"Step inside. I'll tell you about how it all ends. In fire. With a man you'll never save."

I have just finished this and decided to write my review straight away. Now I'm not actually sure if I loved this, actually I can't decide if I even liked it?! I know that doesn't make sense but that's how I'm feeling! Don't get me wrong this storyline was interesting and I'm a huge fan of Karina Halle's horror with romance books but sadly I felt this was lacking both scary and romance.
Plamena
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Creepy but Absolutely Amazing Stars!!!

What are you ready to sacrifice in order to fulfil your dreams? Is achieving a goal worth the sacrifices? Are you ready to give up your soul or the people you love? The Devil’s Metal holds all the answers.

“Be careful what you wished for.”

What A ride!!! I couldn’t put this book down! I was hooked from the first chapter (no surprise here)! I love Karina Halle. She has such a unique writing style. Every book I have read from this author has the same charact
Kim Bailey
Holy, bloody fucking HELL!!

5 stars are not even close to enough for this book. Karina Halle you are a MASTER!

This book is scary shit! If you are a scaredy pants (like me) you will not want to read this book late at night ... or in the dark ... or alone in a room ... or in a room with freaky looking people ... or anywhere you consider even remotely scary. I was seriously terrified for almost the full second half of this book!

It is set in 1974 - with a very cool heavy rock vibe permeating througho
Ash Wednesday

3.5 STARS
“It’s rock and roll, Rusty. Anything that can happen, will happen. Even the impossible.”

This book had me at Summer of 1974 , because while the era had a most dubious contribution to pop culture and fashion, the lack of pervading musical genre back then, encourages eclectic inspirtation in fiction. And Karina Halle's style of writing has always felt like the story's being told with a thumping bass line with a raunchy guitar lick in the background anyway so this should easily be her qu
CupcakeBlonde
I was fortune enough to be a Beta reader for this book. And I am so glad I got to read it first because I can tell you all how amazing it is! If you are a fan of EIT you will love The Devil's Metal. I won't give away too many details because I don't want to spoil the awesomeness that is this story, but I will share some highlights.

First of all, holy fuck Karina Halle is brilliant. Not only are the characters so real and likable, especially Dawn, but the plot moves so well I forgot I was reading.
[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥

3 stars

photo 20140708_134802-kdcollage_zpsyzsarp9q.jpg

Dawn goes on tour as a music journalist with the rock band, Hybrid. But strange things are happening on tour and how does Sage play a part in all the crazy going on?

I found it a bit slow moving, but the mystery part of the story kept me guessing how everything was going to connect. I liked the last 20%, it was shocking. But romance wise we didnt see enough Sage.

Overall, it didnt wow me but it was an okay read. I just prefer a bit more romance, a bit more hero time and a bit more fun ban
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Let me start by saying that this book scared the bejesus out of me! No, not all the time, but I did have to put it down for the night because it was not what I wanted to be reading at 1am while everything was dark and I was getting creeped out. LOL But I enjoyed every bit of it!

If you take ALMOST FAMOUS and you throw in a decent amount of QUEEN OF THE DAMNED, minus the vampires but keeping it paranormal, then you will get THE DEVIL’S METAL. And if there is one author out there that can pull tha
Sandra Cortez
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 creepy stars! This was a great book to start off October. My only complaint was I wanted more Sage, the real him, there's still so much about him I've yet to learn. And, I wasn't completely sold on the romance aspect, we were just at the cusp of their beginning but I LOVED everything else. I was thoroughly engrossed in their world of misfits and demons with a new version of the creepy clown lady (bat shit crazy stuff right there). I'm most def eager for more.
KH's Dirty Angels: The Devil's Metal 1 12 May 04, 2014 04:41PM
Karina Halle Addi...: The Devil's Metal 5 29 Nov 15, 2013 03:08PM
Buddy Read Zone: The Devil's Metal 118 29 Oct 28, 2013 10:53PM
"And with madness...: * The Devil's Metal ~ Devils #1 68 92 May 10, 2013 11:37PM
  • Fall (Roam, #2)
  • Terrorscape (Horrorscape, #3)
  • The Soul Mate (The Holy Trinity, #1)
  • Boy in a Band (A Morgan Mallory Story)
  • Metal Urge
  • Harbour Falls (A Harbour Falls Mystery, #1)
  • Pure & Sinful (Pure Souls, #1)
  • Painted Faces (Painted Faces, #1)
  • Binds (Binds, #1)
  • Savagery
  • Jekyll (Hyde, #2)
  • Mogul (Groupie, #3)
  • Beneath the Burn
  • Bad Day (Hard Rock Roots, #4)
  • Coming Home (Jackson Falls, #1)
  • The Prelude (A Musical Interlude, #1)
  • Rock and Roll Never Forgets (Rock and Roll Trilogy, #1)
Karina Halle is a former travel writer & music journalist and The New York Times, Wall Street Journal & USA Today Bestselling author of The Swedish Prince, The Pact, Love, in English, The Artists Trilogy, Bad at Love & over 45 other wild and romantic reads. She lives on an island off the coast of British Columbia with her husband and her adopted pup Bruce, where she drinks a lot of win ...more

Devils (3 books)
  • The Devil's Reprise (Devils, #2)
  • The Devil's Duology (Omnibus Edition)
“Sage shifted beneath me. I put one of my hands back into his thick hair and left it there, pretending I needed to hold him. It took all my willpower not to start playing with it.

“I guess you don’t do this very often,” I told him, my voice cracking slightly.

I couldn’t see his face but I could feel him smile. “No. Usually my head’s turned the other way around.”
20 likes
“Those bands, you plan your life around them. You plan vacations around concert dates. You save babysitting money for records. You live for those days when Creem magazine arrives in your dusty mailbox and you frantically flip through it for any information on your favorites. The bands, the musicians that you love, they love you back. And when they quit, when they fall apart, when they die—they ruin that future you thought they’d always be a part of.” 19 likes