Start by marking “Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)

Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  2,892 Ratings  ·  312 Reviews
Necromancer is such an ugly word, but it's a title Eric Carter is stuck with.

He sees ghosts, talks to the dead. He’s turned it into a lucrative career putting troublesome spirits to rest, sometimes taking on even more dangerous things. For a fee, of course.

When he left L.A. fifteen years ago he thought he’d never go back. Too many bad memories. Too many people trying to ki
Mass Market Paperback, 295 pages
Published February 5th 2013 by Daw

To ask other readers questions about Dead Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Things

Carol.
I see dead people. Well, I don't, not really, although I do regularly encounter the dying. But I was curious to see how a urban fantasy would handle the idea of death when I saw this book about a necromancer, and what kind of operating system an author might conceive of for the spiritual world. This particular world still seems like it could use a little fleshing out (groan), but it passed the litmus test of entertaining, a palate cleanser between substantial reads. It's a streamlined noir myste ...more
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
"Great. Now I've got a crazy death goddess making googly eyes at me."

The best way to describe this one is a paranormal and gritty nourish Urban Fantasy. The main character isn’t a detective officially but he goes around solving paranormal crimes, mainly to bring in justice as a sort of bounty hunter type. He’s called home, a place he’s avoid since youth, when he founds out his sister has been murdered. What he finds there are friends who have changed, past loves who don’t recognize him anymore,
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you guys ever had one of those books that really didn't want to like? This book annoyed me for several reasons but I still really enjoyed it.

Here are my annoyances;
1. Dresden Clone
2. The word "fuck" is used 182 times in 256 pages. I've been known to use the fucking word. I even thought of writing this fucking review that way. But, fuck? Who the fuck wants to read that shit?
3. This guy got his ass kicked way too many times with way too little downtime... wait, that's the Dresden Clone thing
Elspeth
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, kindle
Disclaimer: In reading this book I recommend lots of salty, buttery, popcorn, you are going to need it.
I loved this book for all its faults, I am not sure if it was what the author was going for, but for me it was a cheesy horror flick. The main character is that heroine you love to hate, the one who you scream at to not go down that dark alley, the basement are you crazy, and you stupid bitch why are you leaving the group to go it alone.
Eric Carter has been running from his past for fifteen yea
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Dead Things is serious magic noir. The name of this book tells it all. This book is about a man surrounded by dead and the consequences it has on his life and his relationships with the living. The narrative is very cynical, with a main character who has a foul mouth and a dark point of view. Of course, anyone who has his necromantic abilities might tend to lose his faith in humanity and everything else. Despite that fact, I did like this book for the most part. Blackmoore lost me some near the ...more
Experiment BL626
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, reviewed
What luck! Dead Things was pretty much everything I could ever want in an Urban Fantasy. The hero kicked ass, the pacing was fast, and the story was devoid of cliches (the ones that annoy me anyway).

+ the hero

Eric Carter was my ideal Urban Fantasy hero. He embraced his power, and even better, he didn't hesitate killing bad guys with it. With great power comes great responsibility to kick ass and make them stay down — permanently.

I loved how he owned up to his bad decisions and personality flaws.
Robyn
Sep 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Not really my cup of tea, but entertaining. A dark noir about a necromancer and the wake of destruction he leaves in his wake.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5
There are so many things I like in this book, I don't know where to start. True, there are some I don't, but it's still a good story.

The main character is an urban fantasy hero (or anti-hero if you like) done right. A warning though: he does things that those who got used to last moment solutions that help the hero avoid ugly or distasteful actions trope might find a bit hard to accept. Eric Carter doesn't get off easy only because he is the main character. After he gets back to L.A. to find
Veronica
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
3.5 to 4 stars

So, this turned out to be a pretty entertaining start to a new series. It features Eric Carter, a mage whose specialty is the necromantic arts. The story kicks off with a pretty gruesome first chapter and things only escalate from there. Eric fled Los Angeles fifteen years ago, for reasons that become apparent not long into the story, and has spent most of that time as a sort of nomadic, supernatural hitman, taking down bad people and/or the bad ghosts they leave behind. Though he’
Ami
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ami by: Experiment BL626
3.75 stars rounded up

For the first story in a series, I mostly loved it. But I did have niggles.

Okay, the good part first:
Just like my friend, Expy, I loved how Eric embraced his dark power. I was refreshing to see the hero who didn't hesitate to kill the bad guys (like what he did with the cab driver) and didn't went back and forth on questioning the 'morality' of it. Those people (dead or alive) that he killed was the bad guys and Eric got the job done. Period.

The villains were vicious and i
Lauren Stoolfire
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Eric Carter is a necromancer and he's turned his ability to see ghosts and talk to the dead into a career. When he left L.A. fifteen years ago, he never thought he'd go back - too many bad memories and too many people trying to kill him. Now, he has no choice but to return after his sister was brutally murdered. Carter is going to find out who did it and why and then he's going to make them pay.

If you like your urban fantasy on the dark and gritty side, Dead Things is for you. Eric Carter is not
Nick Reys
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2013
I’m writing this review shortly after reading a blogpost about how the line between Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance is blurring more and more. I had to agree with said poster when she stated that it’s not for the good of the series – but it might be when it comes to the sales aspect – when the main focus of Urban Fantasy, being a tight plot filled with action and the supernatural, is being replaced by flimsy romance and way less plot than the amount of pages seems to suggest. If there are o ...more
Lindsay Simms
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. LOVED it. Top-rate urban fantasy. I'm telling you now, though, if you don't have a demented sense of humor and hate swearing, you probably won't like this book.

What really drives this book is the main character, Eric. I don't like to leave reviews with spoilers, so I'll just give you the basics. He's a necromancer. A powerful necromancer at that. He pisses off a lot of people, and a lot of people, and not people, want him dead. I don't blame them. He's kind of a jerk. I'm gue
Beanbag Love
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it
For most of this book I was in urban fantasy heaven. It had me hooked right from the beginning. One of the main things I loved was that that protagonist – Eric Carter – is a necromancer who has basically accepted it and doesn’t freak out every time his power hits him. He’s learned to strategize his approach and can command his surroundings enough not to let the ghosts that populate the earth turn him into an emotional blob of jelly. See, I have a pet peeve about that in most stories with necroma ...more
David
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I read this a while ago, but with the sequel coming out I thought I would show some love a write a quick review on this because I loved it.

I also think Stephen Blackmoore is an excellent and underrated talent in this genre.

Eric is a necromancer. That's right, our protagonist actually uses the "bad guy's magic". One of the things that intrigued me about this novel was the fact that Eric dabbled in the dark side.

The story is a bit of a mystery where Eric is returning home to L.A. after s
Jeff Somers
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Blackmoore is a writer after my own heart - dark, hilarious, darkly hilarious, violent, and clever. What more could you possibly want?
Shandra
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Meh. I went a whole week without touching this. I just wasn’t into it like I wanted to be. Total bummer.
Mizuki
Mar 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
Pre-review: The guy on the book covers looks just like John Constantine (I mean...the movie version), man! Especially on the cover of the second book!
Lianne Pheno
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it

Un premier tome que j'ai trouvé très sympa, une enquête dans une ambiance sombre et un personnage torturé.

Eric Carter est un Nécromancien, et il est en fuite. Il fuit les ennuis, et surtout son passé, trouble. Mais quand un de ses anciens amis reprends contact avec lui après des années pour lui annoncer que sa sœur, seule famille qu'il lui restait et qu'il avait quitté pour la protéger, est morte assassinée, il ne peux pas continuer à se cacher. Il décide
Kai Kiriyama
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I grabbed his newest book, DEAD THINGS, about a week ago as of this writing, read it in 2 days on transit, and I have to say that it was some of the best money I have ever spent.

The story is about a necromancer named Eric Carter who is called back to his hometown of Los Angeles by the sudden death of his sister. And hey, who says you can’t go home again? It’s only been 15 years for Eric and now that he’s back some big bad juju is stirring in the City of Angels and he’s at the center of it all. H
Patrick
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
While I have my complaints, this book was pretty solid. The action is good, the magic is good, the plot moves quickly, and the mystery shifts enough to have developments without taking away the intrigue that turns the page. While there are a lot of similarities one could draw between this book and the Dresden Files, I'd mostly consider that a good thing and, in my opinion, this book is far from being a simple clone. For one thing, the tone is much darker. That's not exactly my cup of tea, but it ...more
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uf
I knew after reading the first chapter that it was time to strap myself in and enjoy the ride. Excellent world and magic system, tortured lead character, lots of danger and action - hells yes.

First off, the setting: Los Angeles. LA has always been hellish for me, so a story set there with a rampaging, ravenous ghost, the personification of Death, gangsters, a magical hitman, it all worked.

Eric is our hitman. His magical talent is control of the dead. He left LA after avenging the death of his pa
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think one of my Goodreads friends gave this a good review. I pulled it off the shelf at the bookstore and gave the first couple chapters a whirl, and I just had to keep coming back to it. Which is a good sign, given how crowded my To-Read shelf is. The protagonist, Eric, has a lot of baggage, some weird necromantic powers, and a wry and profane sense of humor. This book isn't for the faint of heart or weak of stomach--I'd say it borders on horror rather than urban fantasy. And it's got a kille ...more
Kaleb
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
To sum up my enjoyment of this book I'd say meh. This book was an okay read, with a decent story, and a likeable character; the character being Eric. I can't say much for the others though. I found them to be two dimensional with no real personalities. But I can say this book was a thrill ride with great action scenes. Overall, I thought this book was alright, but nothing ground breaking.
M Hamed
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, urban-fantasy
i hated this,i really really hated this
Emmie Mears
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I LIKE THIS BOOK. I WANT TO KEEP IT FOREVER. This book has grossness and ooey gooey awesomeness and blood and lots and lots of dead stuff and ghosts and magic and MORAL AMBIGUITY and all of these things I love and I want to hug it. You can hug it too. I ENCOURAGE YOU TO HUG THIS BOOK. Then read it. Then come thank me.
Tamara Mataya
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What I liked the best about this book was the way the author wove in some truly delightful descriptions. I'm typically pretty hard to please when it comes to books with necromancers, but this one didn't let me down. I'll definitely be picking up the next in the series, and I highly recommend this one if you haven't read it!
T. Frohock
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Action packed goodness with a lot of laugh out loud moments made for a hot ride in Dead Things. The novel shoots its plot forward with the speed of a bullet, but the real beauty is Blackmore's ability to weave such poignancy into the character of Eric Carter. A twisting tale of betrayal and friendship, Dead Things is a rocket.

Highly recommended for urban fantasy and noir fans alike.
Kelli
If you have been jonesing for a fast-paced, darkish whodunit urban fantasy with an MC stricken with a checkered-past, then give this book a try, or I should say series. A series I'll definitely continue on reading. Especially with the twisty-esque ending!
Aaron S
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
As a firm believer that any story can be good if properly executed, I don't normally like to complain about a story being derivative. In the case of Dead Things though, I found very little in the book that really caught my attention or interest. The plot follows a paint-by-numbers format and feels less constructed than generated, as though the author was moving from one scene to the next without knowing exactly where they were going.

I didn't much care for the protagonist either. He's a self-des
Choice 1 10 May 23, 2014 02:01PM
friends 1 5 May 23, 2014 01:30PM
  • Dying Is My Business (Trent, #1)
  • Death Most Definite (Death Works Trilogy #1)
  • Generation V (Generation V, #1)
  • A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1)
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • Twenty Palaces (Twenty Palaces, #0.5)
  • Blood and Bullets (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #1)
  • Eyes to See (Jeremiah Hunt, #1)
  • The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Dead To Me (Simon Canderous, #1)
  • The Dead of Winter  (Cora Oglesby #1)
  • Master of None (Gavyn Donatti, #1)
  • Clean (Mindspace Investigations, #1)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • Dead Harvest (The Collector, #1)
Stephen Blackmoore is a pulp writer of little to no renown who once thought lighting things on fire was one of the best things a kid could do with his time. Until he discovered that eyebrows don't grow back very quickly.

His first novel, a dark urban fantasy titled CITY OF THE LOST is out through DAW Books and is available at all the fashionable bookstores. Hopefully some of the seedier ones, too.
More about Stephen Blackmoore

Eric Carter (3 books)
  • Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)
  • Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
“The thing I hate most about skeletons is you can never tell when they're smiling.” 4 likes