Start by marking “QF32” as Want to Read:
QF32

QF32

On 4 November 2010, a flight from Singapore to Sydney came within a knife edge of being one of the world's worst air disasters. Shortly after leaving Changi Airport, an explosion shattered Engine 2 of Qantas flight QF32 – an Airbus A380, the largest and most advanced passenger plane ever built. Hundreds of pieces of shrapnel ripped through the wing and fuselage, creating c ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Macmillan Australia

To ask other readers questions about QF32, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about QF32

Start your review of QF32
Diane in Australia
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Diane in Australia by: Anna
At 7400 feet there was an uncontained engine explosion. Everyone heard two big 'bangs'. Shrapnel hit the left wing, the fuselage, the underbelly, and 2 fuel tanks. Of the 22 systems on the plane, 21 were compromised! The flight deck crew was Captain Richard de Crespigny, First Officer Co-Pilot Matt Hicks, and Second Officer Mark Johnson. In the passenger sections, Customer Service Manager Michael von Reth, was in control. All of the above men performed with exceptional professionalism, courage, ...more
Helen McKenna
Having flown quite a lot, I wouldn't consider myself a nervous flyer. However I must also admit that I don't like to dwell too much on how a plane actually stays up in the air when I'm in one! This book is all about a plane passenger's worst nightmare - an ominous loud "bang" and looking out the window to see a large part of the aircraft missing as well as leaking fuel and shrapnel holes in the wing.

Qantas Flight 32 (QF32) from Singapore to Sydney (part of the Kangaroo Route many of us have tra
Wendy
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. When it became clear that the first half of the book was going to be an autobiography I was a little disappointed, but persisted and discovered that his life story was actually quite fascinating. In fact, in my view, it turned out to be vital to the understanding of the book, that we knew the background of this wonderful pilot, so that we could understand the whole man as he fought to keep all those passengers safe. Richard has led a most extraordinary life and I found it thrilling. I c ...more
Brian Grinter
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
During the 1989 pilots strike Bob Hawke called airline pilots a bunch of "glorified bus drivers"

QF32 by Richard de Crespigny takes the reader into the pilot seat as the #2 Engine on QANTAS A380 'Nancy Bird Walton' exploded soon after take off from Changi Airport in 2010. It gives a deeper appreciation for the professionalism and dedication given by the pilots, cabin crew and other staff who ensure our skies are safe. A great story for those with an interest in aviation or who fly regular and a e
Alex F_E2
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a intense book! The cockpit crew of this QF 32 did great! This is a god and a quite faascinating book of what happened during on this famous A380 flight and what is the captain's thoughts on this flight. I reccomend this book to people who loves reading intense books.
Teressa
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A co-worker who knows that I want to fly to Australia recommended to me this book on the Quantas flight QF32 whose engine exploded mid-flight on 11/4/10. My initial reaction was "why would I want to read that?!" But, he was right. I read it because I knew that ultimately this incredible disaster did not occur. The story of how that came to be is one that intrigued me.

I enjoyed this book but I would alert potential readers that it gets very technical. While I personally know nothing about aircraf
Lynda
A well written, honest, and at times humorous account about the averted air disaster of QF32, an Airbus A380 that suffered an explosion shortly after take off from Changi airport in 2010, with 469 passengers on board. The book begins with an interesting account of the pilot's family history and upbringing, and takes the reader through various aspects of his successful career. Undoubtedly these life experiences would ultimately contribute to the way in which he led and controlled the safe landing ...more
Chris
Feb 24, 2015 added it
Shelves: aviation
This books awesome. ive read it a number of times.
its an interesting first person perspective of the "incident" on qf32 combined with a mini biography. if you dont know the details behind the story you could either google it, or do yourself a favour and read this book.
its a reasonably complex topic, broken down into such a way you are able to comprehend what is happening and stay well and truly engaged with the details.
if you look at the damaged incurred, and not only the skill, and airmanshi
Anna
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book some time ago and enjoyed it very much. The writing was very understandable for the uninitiated or passenger only. A relative, a pilot himself, tells me he found it excellent from the point of view of a pilot also. Probably not the ideal book when actually on an aircraft however when back on terra firma it's great!
Allyson
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, book-club
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book-not a subject that I would normally be interested in, but the author/pilot takes a very technical subject and is able to communicate to and keep the average reader engaged throughout the book.
Kate
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-books
Brilliant, fascinating account.
Stuart Mynard
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you thought from the media reports that the ill-fated QF32 flight was a mere engine malfunction you'd be dead wrong. I had no idea how close this flight came to catastrophe until I read QF32.

De Crespigny's retelling of the story is an insight into the minds of flying professionals. Richard's background and flying pedigree gives a rich vein to the eventual story of teamwork and heroism displayed by the flight crew of QF32. The book is an edge of the seat read once you get to the incident with
Dwight Walker
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
After getting past motor cycle riding of youth, the RAAF and air pilot part of Richard's life was very interesting. I enjoyed blow by blow account of disaster on airplane. It was fascinating and very relevant to current Boeing disasters in Africa and Indonesia re autopilot and fly-by-wire systems that all planes have now that pilots find hard to cope with or override. The ECAM (Electronic Centralized Aircraft Monitor) error messages flooded him and his crew to the breaking point. They needed to ...more
Nick Wasiliev
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, compelling, nail-biting.

This is a book that you must read if you are worried about flying. Considering it's subject matter, it may seem like the last thing you'd want to do, but Richard expertly describes how much training a pilot has to go through to become a commercial flyer, and also goes into the details of the aircraft in such ways, you really start to appreciate what feats of technology they are.

Even more so, it shows how, when things go wrong, how much these pilots have prepa
Joe Bell-Leemen
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a well-written autobiography of one of the most skilful aversions of an air disaster in history. The book begins with explaining the life and background of the pilot, and how he came to fly with Qantas. It then continues with a detailed explanation of everything that went wrong on the flight, and the steps taken to combat it, as well as the atmosphere in the cockpit. This is also a far deeper explanation of the failure of the flight that is given in any other source I could procure, incl ...more
Simone
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Biography”
A bit technical at times but still very enjoyable. A very talented mix of technical (to keep the tech-heads intrigued) and human. Just when it was getting too tech he switched. It was brilliantly done. This book was recommended to me at a book sale when the tender saw I had “SULLY” in my pile. I do not regret my choice to pick this up as well!
Dennis Rutzou
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved it, hence the five stars. For a aircraft/aviation nerd like me this really hit the spot. A warning for the non-nerds-you may find it repetitious in places, but the tension during the drama after the engine failure and the damage to the aircraft will keep you riveted to the page and may even cost you a few hours sleep as you'll ant to stay up until you finish it.
Judith Riseley
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not my usual choice of book but I sought it out after hearing Richard de Crespigny on the radio. A well written and easy read. He adds just enough technical stuff so as you understand the challenges he faced but not so much that your eyes roll backwards.
Helen Appleby
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book. If you've travelled on an A380, a Qantas flight, out of Singapore, A long distance flight or are interested in being a pilot for crew, this is the books for you! So pleased that it was written.
KT
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great yarns

I skimmed the technicalities - I'm not an engineer or pilot to be. As a lay person i found it quite engaging and insightful read. I found the story telling technique repetitive at times but was necessary to achieve the point the author wanted to make.
Donald Pryde
Mar 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Should have a category of part read, some bits ok but totally lost when he starts describing the engine in detail, gave it up in the end
cefy
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As an #avgeek was keen to read de Crespigny’s account back in 2012. I remember finishing it and feeling I had learnt heaps about leadership, teamwork and communication.
Paul Hargreaves
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read if you're interested in aviation.
Donald Ash
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Q32 Remarkable Event

A fascinating account of teamwork skill and mind control. Well written except to many repeated problems but still a book I found hard to put down.
Phil Weickhardt
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A moving, autobiographical account of a man's journey to Chief Pilot and then one fateful flight and its aftermath. Chilling and engaging
Saif Rabbani
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding!
Stitch
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent read that proves team work and knowing your job is the way to go.
Hayley Nelson
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a unique story and informative narrative.
Alex Rogers
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting read, pleasantly geeky in that wonderful engineer way, and fascinating to get a blow by blow of a near-disaster.
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating account of the QF32 A380 engine explosion in Singapore.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sully: My Search for What Really Matters
  • Cockpit Confidential: Everything You Need to Know about Air Travel: Questions, Answers, & Reflections
  • Thirty Seconds to Impact
  • Aussie Grit: My Formula One Journey
  • Your Own Kind of Girl
  • Skygods, The Fall of Pan Am
  • Flyboys: A True Story of Courage
  • Into the Raging Sea: Thirty-Three Mariners, One Megastorm, and the Sinking of El Faro
  • Emergency! Crisis on the Flight Deck
  • The Crash Detectives: Investigating the World's Most Mysterious Air Disasters
  • Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival
  • A Captain's Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALs, and Dangerous Days at Sea
Melbourne born and educated Richard Champion de Crespigny got his first taste of a future flying career as a fourteen year old when his father took him on a tour of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Academy at Point Cook in Victoria.
In 1975 aged seventeen, he joined the RAAF. One year later he started flying, joining Qantas Airlines several years later as a commercial pilot.
In 2010 Richard pi