Start by marking “Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim, #5)” as Want to Read:
Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim, #5)

Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim #5)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  8,017 Ratings  ·  356 Reviews
James Stark, aka Sandman Slim, has managed to get out of Hell, renounce his title as the new Lucifer, and settle back into life in LA. But he's not out of trouble yet. Somewhere along the way he misplaced the Qomrama Om Ya, a weapon from the banished older gods who are also searching for their lost power.

The hunt leads Stark to an abandoned shopping mall-a multi-story copy
Published July 30th 2013 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Kill City Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kill City Blues

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars. Such a pathetically low rating. I should be ashamed of myself and stuff.

Okay. I can do this. Of course I can. This is the weakest instalment in the series so far and most certainly my leastest favoritest and I would have given it 3 stars if it wasn't for my boyfriend Jimmy Stark and my being slightly full of fish but let's pretend that I never said this and that you didn't read it and that all is well is the world so yay and stuff.

Just a little something to distract you
AH
Now that was awesome! A book full of eccentric characters with attitude - Badass attitude. Speaking of Badass, Christal and I do a joint review of this book on Badass Book Reviews. Check it out!

I must admit that I had a goofy smile on my face while reading Kill City Blues, the fifth book in Richard Kadrey’s Sandman Slim series. Kadrey’s wit and dark sense of humor makes this series a favorite of mine. No one writes dark urban fantasy like Richard Kadrey.

The world of Sandman Slim is so intrica
Jason
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2013
3 Stars

I love Sandman Slim and Richard Kadrey. These books are a very guilty pleasure of mine that makes me a very biased reviewer. James Stark aka Sandman Slim, as well as many other names is one of my all-time favorite monsters… I mean hero!

Kill City Blues is unfortunately the weakest book in the whole series. Not only is the story thin, the plot line weak, our heroes also feel washed out and grey. That being said, I still loved every minute of this book and ate up every word. I cannot spend e
Soo
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Note:
I finished this last night before crashing. I was not a happy camper when I realized the book was over. I'm going to let the story sit and write my review later.

It started out so promising and then it backpedaled sideways. Grrr. Worst transition piece and perhaps my least favorite of the series.
Kaustubh Dudhane
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Being afraid is one of the realities of existence."

I have found fan art on the author's website and it rocks!

Some of my favorite monsters heroes are Prince Honorous Jorg Ancrath from Prince of Thorns and Darrow from Red Rising. These guys have some serious competition from Sandman Slim.
I am accepting the fact that I am aspiring to be Sandman Slim and possessing his colorful vocabulary. Read this -

"The Beverly Wilshere Hotel is so posh it gives the Taj Mahal a hard-on."

As usual, no need to comment on plot and characters. In this book, Sandman Slim i
Otherwyrld
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
Whilst I enjoyed the book I would say it's more like a high 3 stars and that 4 stars is a bit generous. The reason for this was this book was just not as good as the other books in this series. The story just took too long to get to the meat - it meandered around for about half the page count. Once we get to the actual story - a trip through a hellish abandoned shopping mall (is there any other kind?)to find a weapon that is supposed to be able to kill gods , things really picked up. There are s ...more
Tabitha
Jimmy Stark is back again in Kill City Blues for another round of ‘saving the world’. Those of you that recently read Devil Said Bang might agree with me when I say I felt it was more like two mini books in one. With the first half being “escape from Hell” and the second being “save the world”. Aloha from hell felt partitioned in a similar fashion. But in Kill City Blues there was more follow through for one main story.

As always I love all of the pop culture references to everything in the enter
Debra
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This whole series, to date, has been fabulous. Can't wait to read the next one. I like how the author sneaks in previous events in case you've forgotten how Sandman Slim's adventures all started and how far they have progressed in his current effort to save a dysfunctional world with dysfunctional deities.
Christal
See this review and others like it at BadassBookReviews.com!

Christal and AH's Review - 5 Skulls - A+

Kill City Blues was a definite high point in a consistently entertaining and slightly disturbing series. AH and I both loved this book and gave it 5 stars!

James "Sandman Slim" Stark:

AH: I think Stark has got to be one of the most badass characters I've encountered in urban fantasy. I love his "devil-may-care" attitude (pun definitely intended).

Christal: Lol, nice one! I agree, Stark is hardcore an
Wyatt Packard
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Kill City Blues is the fifth entry in the Sandman Slim series and I am happy to say that the author has really gone back to the real roots of the series. Stark's back, having dumped the devil job on someone a little more qualified, he and the gang have been doing alright. They are still trying to track down the Qomrama Om Ya, or as Stark refers to it as the Eight Ball, which happens to be the only thing that can stop the old gods from destroying the universe. You could say it's pretty important. ...more
Ashley Marie
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

The last 180 pages of Kill City Blues were excellent. The sort of gritty, violent fun I've come to expect from Kadrey.

I almost didn't make it to those last 180 pages, though, because the first 200 were SOOOOOOOO BOORRRINNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

So boring.
Gef
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Richard Stark might be back from Hell--again--but he just can't help doing the Devil's work. Since getting out of his job as the new Lucifer, and passing it off to one of five pieces of God himself, Mr. Munnin, Stark is trying to settle back into life in Los Angeles. He's rejoined with his angel half, has the key to the Thirteen Doors once again, he's back with his main squeeze Candy, and he still has the run of Lucifer's penthouse. Compared to board meetings and other forms of infernal bureaucr ...more
Tammy
Everybody's looking for the Qomrama Om Ya, the ultimate weapon. Some of them think James Stark has it. He doesn't, but he doesn't want anyone else to get it so he's searching for it. Typical of James, he's searching in all the most dirty, foul, dangerous, terrifying places. But what do you expect from Sandman Slim, killer of monsters, and former Lucifer?

In this book, more than ever before, James isn't alone. He's been evolving since the first book in this series, transitioning from the Sandman S
Eivind
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Sandman Slim is pretty badass and I think series like this are contributing quite a bit to the genre. But after having read Kill City Blues last night I couldn't help feel that the author is running out of ideas. Sandman Slim is still kicking ass, make no mistake, but he isn't going anywhere. Upon completing this book I felt like had seen an episode of Sandman Slim The Series, everything is back to normal and now hurry up and wait for the next episode. Nothing happened (other than drinking, kick ...more
Love N. Books
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pet’s $0.02

I forgot how much I LOVE Mr. Stark! Jimmy is just one of those guys you want to hang out with because he gets into more shit in a short amount of time than should be possible. It’s almost an unintentional skill.

I like his style. He doesn’t give one actual fuck who he pisses off, and some of them are gods. He only really cares about two people. Candy, his girlfriend, and himself. Not necessarily in that order. Even his best friend, Kasabian, I don’t think really likes him all
Jen Bernardini
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Sandman Slim series, I don't care what anyone says. I'll fight them all! Okay, okay. Enough of that. So, here we are in the fifth in the series. Kill City. Stark is trying to find the 8 ball, or at least keep it away from the bad guys. He ends up having to search Kill City, which is an old mall that has become something of an enchanted wasteland of sorts.
Kill City is full of the razor sharp wit and pointed banter that we've come to expect with Stark and Company. One of the reasons I l
Sara
Pages: 383
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating Out Of 5 Stars: 4.5

*********************************************

“He gave me a lopsided grin. Not a nice grin. The kind a headsman gives you when he doesn’t like you and know his axe is good and dull today."
Goodreads/General Synopsis:
Stark renounce his title as the new Lucifer and settles back into life in LA. But he's not out of trouble yet
Christina
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Still a really good book, just felt a bit slower than the ones before it.
Karissa
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the 5th book in the Sandman Slim series and it was an excellent one. I love these characters, the strange cultural references, the gritty surroundings, the crazy action scenes, and of course the hilarious banter between characters. I got a copy of this to review through Edelweiss; thanks to Harper Voyager and Edelweiss for the chance to read this book.

Stark (Sandman Slim) has finally gotten rid of his job as Lucifer and he is trying set up a life for him and Candy in LA. Of course somewh
Stephanie Graves
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have a penchant for loving books that are impossible to assign to a genre.
This one, for instance.

Is it horror? Well, sort of. Some horrible things happen. There's plenty of fear and terror and monsters and devils (three of them, actually--or, technically, two ex-Lucifers and the current one). But it's not built on the urge to scare like horror really is. Is it fantasy? Kind of/ not really? There's ghosts and spiritual items and a quest, but it's not in the epic fantasy wheelhouse. A mystery? Y
Cathy Ryan
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
A great opening chapter has Stark, Candy and Samael in Donut Universe while Candy updates Stark and Samael’s Wikipedia pages. Stark and his angel half have reunited, he is back to being a nephilim and again has the Key to the Room of Thirteen Doors.

Stark is in a race to find the Qomrama Om Ya, a weapon greater than any other, before the old gods, namely the Angra Om Ya who existed before anything else, can take back and destroy the universe. Aleita has hidden it somewhere and Stark needs to fin
Anne
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Before this, my favorite book in the Sandman Slim series was definitely Kill the Dead, in terms of pacing, characterization, and overall plot. But Kill City Blues has kind of blown it out of the water. This is going to be a pretty short review simply because I have absolutely nothing negative to say.

I've loved watching Stark grow and change - in small, subtle but still clear ways - throughout the series, and I think having recently reread Sandman Slim and Kill the Dead, Kill City Blues just made
Eden Royce
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kill City Blues is a tough, in your face thrill ride through crime-ridden L.A. and Hell. Wait… did I repeat myself?

Not really.

Kadrey manages to create in Slim the kind of character I love to read about: edgy, full of snide quips, protective of his loved ones, and willing to destroy anyone that endangers them. It’s apparent in Kill City that Slim has been through his own literal and figurative Hell already. And during the read I was given just enough information won what occurred in the previous
Alisa
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Audio Book Version

I love this series. Stark is one of my all time favorite characters. He's snarky and cynical and has a filthy, irreverent mouth on him. He's also bad-assed. I also love how much the author throws into every book. There's always the main plot but all the little side moments add up and they're priceless imo. For example this book starts off with Stark and Samael (who was recently The Devil) having donuts at Donut Universe while Candy updates their Wikipedia pages. That kind of st
Gordon Sleigh
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I think I'm starting to suffer from Sandman Slim burnout, which is too bad since I enjoy the character and the world he inhabits. Aloha From Hell was okay and this one was about the same. Nothing felt like it had any weight even though the subject matter is the end of the universe as we know it. I actually didn't even realize I'd reached the end of the book until I looked down and saw my progress counter at 98%. It just didn't feel like it was a fully fleshed out story.

A couple of things outrigh
Chris Bauer
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are a few authors whom I think I'd read as much for the dialogue as anything else. Wendig, Simon R. Green, and Richard Kadrey are at the very top of that list. I'd love to read one of their books with just dialogue. I bet it would be a cool experiment.

Kill City Blues is the latest installment of Sandman Slim and it does not disappoint. Characters with unique perspectives and flaws; pulse-pounding action; intricate kickass plots. All the bases are covered.

One of the most interesting aspect
Rage
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
this one seemed to get off to a weak start, since the first 60 or so pages are spent recapping and explaining the series' extensive mythology... this just doesn't feel like a series you could pick up halfway through, so that's an odd audience to try to accommodate. meanwhile, Stark, the main character and narrator, is feeling a bit more reflective throughout the book, and he's still sassy, but there's a lot less explosive action and more internal monologues about his own nature, humanity, morali ...more
Lyonardo
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this is about the entire series, not just this one book. I have to admit it took me a while to get into the first book. It might have the most ridiculously over the top first chapter I've ever read. Every word of dialogue, and even the description of the main character came across as a bad stereotype of what a geeky teenage boy fantasizes that a tough guy would be like. In fact, I put it down and it took me a few months to really get going. Basically, I didn't have anything else to read. A coupl ...more
diane
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
While Kadrey's style has always been brief and to the point, this book was an odd mix of too much shorthand and a little too much navel gazing. Nothing really happens for a lot of the book, in terms of the plot moving forward, or character development. Sure, Stark beats people up and tries to do the detective thing, but mostly he doesn't do anything interesting or worth the read.

I think this book is a set up. I think this was the story Kadrey thought he had to tell to set up for the next book wh
Fantasy Literature
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
How about a nice haunted house book? You’ve read dozens, you say? Okay, well how about a haunted hotel? Been there, done that… ? Well, have you read about a haunted luxury mall, one with abandoned levels all the way down to a faux Roman bath that holds a shrine to a god from another universe, and contains, somewhere, a God-killing weapon? No? I thought not.

Kill City Blues is the fifth SANDMAN SLIM book from Richard Kadrey. James Stark has turned the ruling of Hell over to someone else, and is ba
  • The Naming of the Beasts (Felix Castor, #5)
  • City of Mirrors (Diana Poole #1)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Casino Infernale (Secret Histories, #7)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • A Plain-Dealing Villain (Daniel Faust, #4)
  • Bad Moon Rising (Skinwalkers Trilogy, #1)
  • Buckingham Palace Blues (Inspector Carlyle #3)
  • Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)
  • Blood and Bullets (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #1)
  • The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Riddle in Stone (The Riddle in Stone, #1)
  • The Sixth Soul (DCI Rosen, #1)
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • Box Office Poison (Linnet Ellery, #2)
  • Necropolis (Matt Richter #1)
Richard Kadrey is a writer and freelance photographer living in San Francisco, best known for his Sandman Slim novels. His newest novels are The Everything Box, released April 19, 2016 and The Perdition Score (Sandman Slim, #8), released on June 28, 2016.
More about Richard Kadrey

Sandman Slim (10 books)
  • Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1)
  • Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2)
  • Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim, #3)
  • Devil Said Bang (Sandman Slim, #4)
  • The Getaway God (Sandman Slim, #6)
  • Killing Pretty (Sandman Slim, #7)
  • The Perdition Score (Sandman Slim, #8)
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • Hollywood Dead (Sandman Slim #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“A gun is like love. The universal language.” 11 likes
“You can take the boy out of the Devil but not the Devil out of the boy” 9 likes