Start by marking “Take The Fall” as Want to Read:
Take The Fall

Take The Fall

WHO KILLED GRETCHEN MEYER?

Fear grips the residents of Hidden Falls the night Sonia Feldman and her best friend, Gretchen Meyer, are attacked in the woods. Sonia was lucky to escape with her life, but Gretchen’s body is discovered at the bottom of a waterfall. Beautiful, popular, and seemingly untouchable, Gretchen can’t be gone. Even as Sonia struggles with guilt and confu
Published February 16th 2016 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Take The Fall, please sign up.
shannon
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

“Gretchen’s dead.”

This was an okay mystery story, but it took a while to get good.

Sonia seemed quite intent on finding out who killed her friend, although it seemed a bit of an odd idea to team up with the person who was the most likely suspect!

The storyline in this started out really slow, and the book didn’t really seem to take off until the 70% mark which was a bit la

My first young adult murder mystery book of the year! Suspenseful and dark, but so fun to read. It had a great dose of twists and surprises. I was convinced I knew whodunnit up to the end, but then WAM.. Emily Hainsworth got me. That’s the kind of thing you want from a good murder mystery. Red herrings are always a plus. There were shades of Twin Peaks throughout making for a unique tone and setting. It seems everyone has their secrets.

Take the Fall is about Sonia and the search for he
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
4.5 Stars

Take the Fall is one of the most suspenseful books of the year. The reader will be turning the pages like mad, eager to learn the truth. This crime novel is action-packed as the characters try and catch a killer, and the focus is on the mystery, not the romance, which is enjoyable. However, the ending may be disappointing for some in this whirlwind of a story.

Take the Fall has all the components of a good mystery: characters searching for possible suspects and attempting to uncover evid
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Who doesn't love a good heart pounding, pulse racing thriller?

We are immediately thrown right into the very heart of the story as the novel opens with Sonia frantically fleeing the woods for her life after being attacked and nearly killed.

Right off you know this will be a mystery that is gong to mess with your head and while I did have most of it figured out way early on in the story, the author managed to put twists and new turns into the story that more than once, had me questioning whether o
Stacee
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Emily's other book, so was beyond thrilled to get my greedy hands on this one.

I really liked Sonia. She's smart and being in her head had me captivated right from the beginning. There are a lot of secondary characters {*cough* suspects *cough*} and Emily did a fantastic job at getting me to believe that everyone was involved and no one could be trusted.

There are some excellent plot twists that I didn't see coming. Every time I thought I had it figured out, something new would be
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
This was an enjoyable YA murder mystery... and much of my enjoyment came from the fact that the author is clearly a Twin Peaks fan. Randomly coming across references to the show is always a treat for this fan.

The book opens with a murdered girl in a small town.

She was murdered near a waterfall.

The sheriff as well as the girl's best friend investigate her murder, and secrets gradually come to light.

There's a Deputy Brennan.

AND the sheriff has a mug that says "Damn Fine Coffee."

The evidence is cle
Jen Ryland
Feb 04, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2016
This started strong for me but then the plot just went around and around and around in endless circles, which was frustrating. While I think some people will enjoy the ending, I found it more annoying than surprising.
Full review to come.

Read more of my reviews on YA Romantics or follow me on Bloglovin

Thanks to the publisher for providing a free advance copy of this book for me to review.
Rebecca McNutt
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Take the Fall, similar to Mister Death's Blue-Eyed Girls and The Pact, was much better than I expected. What if one of the people you knew was a murderer? This book was well-written and haunting and a great YA novel.
AH
Sep 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Hmmm...

I liked Take the Fall by Emily Hainsworth. Didn't love it, but I did enjoy the mystery aspect of the story. The book begins with an account of an attack on the main character Sonia. She survives the attack, but her best friend Gretchen is found dead. The rest of the story unfolds as Sonia and the police try to piece together the clues.

About halfway through the book, I was a little frustrated by Sonia's Nancy Drew imitation. I mean, if you are getting threatening notes in your locker after
Kristen
DNF at 30%

I wasn't connecting to the story or mystery. I had a theory so flipped to the back and I was right about a portion of it. I think if you can connect to the writing and characters you'll enjoy this but it wasn't for me.
Katherine
description
”None of them knew just how she fell,
Down, down through the air-
And now she’ll never tell.”

Out of all the relationships between people in this world, I think the most fascinating, complex, and toxic relationships out there are the ones between teenage girls. Its almost mercurial in nature. One minute they can be the best of friends; one misstep later they’re immortal enemies. They can’t live with each other, but they can’t live without each other. I went to a high school football recently with
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good Lord this book was amazing so amazing! I can't explain to you how much I loved this book so much! If you like suspense you will love this book. It is for you because from page one to the end you are sitting on the edge of your seat waiting to see what happens next.

In this story we meet Sonia and her best friend Gretchen. They do everything together. So when they are invited to a party they decide to go. What happens after the party is where the suspense begins. They are in the woods laughin
Blythe
Aug 24, 2012 marked it as to-read
While I wasn't the biggest fan of Through to You, it was well written, so Hainsworth definitely has promise as a writer, which means I am looking forward to this, even without a synopsis. Hopefully this one is better paced, plotted, and executed than Through to You.
Kirsty-Marie Jones
More 3.5. Also, had that theory at 12%. Just saying.
Kelly
I loved the hell out of this. Fast paced, twisty, and tons of lefts and rights and truths and half truths kept me guessing until the end. Sonia isn't necessarily the best narrator, and throughout the book I kept thinking I wasn't getting to know her very well, but that serves a really valuable purpose throughout.

This book is about the shades of gray when it comes to truth. It's very much TWIN PEAKS inspired in terms of setting and mystery, down to some really funny references (damn fine coffee)
Jason McKinney
Aug 13, 2016 rated it liked it
If you're like me, and are tired of YA because you feel like it can be pretty repetitive, this could be one for you. I tore through it in two days and I was super surprised how exciting it was. Hainsworth really ratchets up the suspense and the finale is well thought out, surprising and completely authentic. It's not always perfect, but this is a bunch of fun to read.
rin 눈_눈 WATCH GOOD OMENS
I've expected it to be intriguing and mystic. No such luck :/

The book is boring. The ending is the only good thing about it BUT I've predicted everything that happened (I guess I watch too many detective TV shows lol). The book is full of cliches, and at some point you become seriously annoyed by them.

Did I like the book? No. Did I hate it? No. Would I recommend it? No.
Dahlia
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases
Really liked this. It started off a little slow for me only because I read a lot of murder mysteries and it felt very familiar, but I mention that strictly to say that if you're having the same feeling about it, don't DNF; it gets increasingly more compelling as it goes on, and is worth your read.
Trisha
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bought-kindle
"The initial list of suspects I came up with looked more like a roster of our entire study body"

I am so disappointed. There are not a ton of YA mystery books - especially murder mystery. So when I find one, I'm always excited. But I read a lot of mystery, YA or not - so I know when I've been tricked.

and this book is tricky. I don't mind a good surprise. I don't even mind when I don't figure out who done it before the last page - or that there weren't any clues that I could have caught to figure
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Grade: B

Two girls were attacked in the woods after a party. Sonia survived, her best friend Gretchen did not. Smart. Popular. Beautiful. Who would kill a girl like Gretchen. But, underneath the perfect façade, Gretchen was so much more than she seemed. Something didn't just happen to Gretchen, Gretchen happened to people. So many people. So many suspects. Sonia is determined to figure out whodunit, with the help of Gretchen's ex, who may or may not be the the murderer.

What a ride. TAKE THE FALL
Amber
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it

Take the Fall boasts a solid mystery with a diverse catch. Although it had my attention, I found it missing a certain oomph.

Plot: Take the Fall opens with Sonia running into her family's diner at a questionable hour. She looks like she's been in a scuffle and her best friend Gretchen can't be found. The prologue sets the tone for the rest of the novel - fast. This is a fun paced and expected for a murder-mystery. While it was well-written and kept a steady pace, Take the Fall was missin
Doris
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
You know a book will be good when the first sentence is "don't think, just run."

Take The Fall reminded me of I Know What You Did Last Summer. Remember when everyone is accusing Freddie Prinze Jr of killing the fisherman and we all are like "did he or didn't he." Well that's the essence of Take The Fall but with one hell of a twist. Al the signs point to Marcus Perez as the killer and I'm left MIND BLOWN with how the killer is revealed. Did Marcus kill Grecthen? Well you'll have to read this boo
Book Riot Community
When Gretchen Meyer is found dead, the entire community of Hidden Falls wants to know who did it. Sonia Feldman, Gretchen’s best friend, was with her that night, and she, too, was a victim of someone’s attempt to hurt her. Everyone thinks they know who is responsible, and Sonia’s on a mission to get to the bottom of the mystery, both because of her own love for Gretchen, as well as for her own safety and the safety of those around her. This is a twisty-turny mystery with a narrator who isn’t exa ...more
Lelia Taylor
Oct 28, 2012 marked it as post-review-away
Kind of blew me away and I'm getting my thoughts together. Review coming soon.
Dark Faerie Tales
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-tara
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Decent mystery story about friendships, family, and love.

Opening Sentence: Don’t think, just run.

The Review:

Whenever it starts to become fall, I liked to read more murder mysteries. This year, I started off with Take the Fall. This one is a young adult murder mystery book that I think you’ll either love or be ambivalent toward. I wasn’t really able to connect with either the characters or the writing but I think that it would have been a dec
bookborrower
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This was a throughly thrilling novel, but I hated the ending. Had the ending been different, I would have enjoyed the story as a whole better.
Alana Llama
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
The plot twist though 😱
Roxanne
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: coun-libstl
Started strong but kind of lost me at the end.
Madison
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an edge-of-your-seat, nail-biting, check-over-your-shoulder, add-your-own-cliche-here kind of book. This is ultimately an epic murder mystery, with a huge list of suspects, a twist that came out of nowhere and a surprise ending. It's dark and kind of disturbing but so easy to read.

The night Sonia was attacked in the forest, her best friend Gretchen was also attacked. Sonia survived, but Gretchen is found dead at the base of the falls. It sparks an investigation and town-wide terror as t
Abby Wheaton
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response: When I started reading this book I tried several times to try and predict what would happen. I found myself predicting wrong, because there was so much plot twist throughout the book. I also found it very hard to keep track of who did what. Overall, I thought the book was great, and the ending was very unpredictable.

Plot: Sonia was a normal senior girl who loved life and loved hanging out with her best friend Gretchen. Life was normal for her until the day she was attacked in
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Thicker Than Water
  • Remember Me (Find Me, #2)
  • Untitled
  • Essence
  • Mystique
  • The Stranger Game
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Becoming (Project Five Fifteen #3)
  • Cybernetic
  • Little White Lies
  • Vanished (Vanished, #1)
  • Untitled (The Fine Art of Pretending #3)
  • After the Woods
  • Shade Me (Nikki Kill, #1)
  • Captive
  • Bleed Like Me
  • The Mystery of Hollow Places
  • Defender
Emily Hainsworth was raised in Syracuse, New York, until she fell in love and fled its gray skies for the sunny Rocky Mountains. Before she started writing full time, she worked as a turndown maid at a fancy golf club, scooped poop at a dog boarding kennel, worked retail in an upscale pet boutique, and owned a dog grooming business. She currently resides in Denver with her family. Emily's debut no ...more
“I so want to believe him, but right now even his touch feels like a lie.” 4 likes