Start by marking “The Spy Who Loved: the Secrets and Lives of Christine Granville, Britain's First Female Special Agent of WWII” as Want to Read:

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  1,517 Ratings  ·  251 Reviews
In June 1952, a woman was murdered by an obsessed colleague in a hotel in South Kensington. Her name was Christine Granville. That she died young was perhaps unsurprising, but that she had survived the Second World War was remarkable.

The daughter of a feckless Polish aristocrat and his wealthy Jewish wife, she would become one of Britain’s most daring and highly decorated
Paperback, Unabridged edition, 416 pages
Published July 5th 2012 by Pan Macmillan (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Spy Who Loved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spy Who Loved

AJ
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to AJ by: goodreads voice
These are the top 3 things, in order, that I thought of constantly while reading this book:

1. Poland has had a lot of bad luck (these thoughts popped up partly because I had just read what the Soviets had done to it a few centuries before in Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman). And has one of the blackest histories of WW2. And it needs a lot more attention, appreciation, and historical content shed on it and it's plight.

2. Even fierce, intelligent, noble women spies get marginalized by the
Pirate
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant account of a remarkable woman, one of those countless people often reduced to footnotes in larger broader histoory boos who deserve books on their own. Very cripsly and wittily written when that was required, brings in to play the remarkable characters that populated the SOE, heros all and with countless tales to tell. The heroine is a female James Bond of inestimable courage, nerve and wit. The book also lays bare again the betrayal of the Poles by all sides from the start of the wa ...more
Lewis Weinstein
UPDATE 12/18/17 ... I read the section on Polish resistance which deals with the days immediately after the German invasion (Sep 1939) ... not much there ... skimming through the rest of the book, I tend to agree with the 1* an 2** reviews on amazon ... this is often disorganized, repetitive and factually unsupported ... the notes and bibliography were virtually useless ... I was actually quite disappointed since my expectations (see below) had been high.

***

I just read an excellent review of thi
Magda
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I bought it after I saw Clare Mulley give a talk on the life of Christine Granville and after half an hour of detailing one impossible feat of heroics after another, Mulley confessed she'd barely got started... Granville's entire professional life as a spy was a series of inspirational impossibilities.

The book is fluid and engaging, written with sophistication, passion and a wealth of research to back it up. Recommended.
Ben Everhart
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
I loved this book. Loved it so much that I don't want to return it to the library. I've finished it. It's sitting here, and yet, I feel compelled to hold onto it for as long as I can. Part of me has to hold back from re-reading it again.

Christine Granville was an extraordinary person and this is a great biography. Page turning while, at the same time, demanding each anecdote be savored. How can you read this and not fall in love with this woman?

World War II is brought to life in such a compell
Rupert Colley
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Originally posted on History In AN Hour: http://www.historyinanhour.com/2013/0...)

One can’t help but gasp with admiration at the life and exploits of Christine Granville, one of Britain’s bravest wartime heroines. On reading Clare Mulley’s entertaining biography, The Spy Who Loved, we are introduced to a woman who lived life on the edge and who found ordinary, routine existence a bore. Mulley writes with almost a venerable regard for her subject and rightly so, for one would expect the life of
LillyBooks
I didn't finish the book, so I almost didn't rate it and write a review thinking perhaps I'd go back to it later; but, really, there are too many books in the world for that. The interesting thing is I didn't stop reading this book because it was horrible (that would be a one star rating); rather, I stopped reading this book because I wasn't connecting with it. I think the subject matter is extremely intriguing (that's why I checked it out in the first place), and the first 150 pages or so were ...more
Eugene
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this book. Christine Granville's story is so compelling that I expected the book to be equally compelling. It wasn't. It's worth reading if you are interested in the topic (as I am). If you're just looking for a "good read", move on.

The first 50 pages were almost tortuous. The author introduced a dizzying number of people (most of whom weren't significant characters). That combined with the Polish names (are half of all Polish men named Andrzej???), the Anglicized version o
Rebecca
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
** I received a complimentary copy through Goodread's First Reads**
First of all I must address that I am an 007 junkie- I love a good entry into the spy genre. I was very happy to be able to preview this book, it's right up my alley and historical as well! Christine Granville led a fascinating life from her birth to a Polish aristocrat and his wealthy Jewish bride to her reinvention as a British spy during WWII. Her life was never dull, she began life wealthy and died as a worker on a passenger
Karl
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked this but it has a terrible title - this is not a Mills & Boone wartime romance, the title diminishes the actual story and life of a complex and interesting woman living in complex and interesting times.
Michelle
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, history
Wow. What a book. What a woman. Amazing, fascinating story of a Polish woman who ended up spying for Great Britain during WWII, working in Eastern Europe, the Mideast, and France, against amazing odds, and having, um, multiple romances along the way. Sometimes at the same time. LOL This was a well written book--I couldn't put it down. I kept telling my husband not to bother me now, Christine just got arrested. :-) Loved it!
Michelle
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to love this biography, but it was dry, boring and monotonous to follow. It was not written very strongly, simply just a presentation of facts, without really getting to know Christine Granville.
Helen
This is truly an extraordinary book, about an extraordinary woman. I wasn't able to finish it--my reading life sent me off in another direction--but I hope to come back to it.
Melissa Mackenzie
Absolutely brilliant!
Mahmoud Abbas
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wonderful
Saleh MoonWalker
Onvan : The Spy Who Loved: The Secrets and Lives of Christine Granville - Nevisande : Clare Mulley - ISBN : 1250030323 - ISBN13 : 9781250030320 - Dar 426 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 2012
cameron
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating. Wonderfully written. Real insight into British Intelligence. Brave . Heroic. Sexy. True.
It's everything you love when you watch old black and white WW2 British spy movies.
D.J. Cockburn
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A schoolgirl wanted to know how saintly the school's priest was. When this schoolgirl wanted to know something, she didn't stop wanting to know until she found out. It transpired that the priest wasn't up to the standards of the martyrs he aspired to: when she set fire to his cassock, he stopped the catechism to put himself out.

It was the sort of bold but not entirely direct approach that would characterise the life of the woman who christened Krystyna Skarbek who, after two marriages, numerous
Audrey
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent biography of the Polish Countess who became known as Christine Granville and the first British female special agent of World War II. A story of a fascinating, brave and complicated woman who undertook dangerous work for the 6 years of the war. It is also a story of how she and her country Poland were both let down by the British after the war. Poland bring annexed mainly to the Russians who killed and exterminated as many polish people as they could find and Christine who they cut loos ...more
Eileen
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an extremely thorough account of the life of Christine Granville, a Polish Jew who became the first woman to work for the British SOE during World War II. Outfitted in the old wooden skies of yore, she skied over treacherous mountain terrain into occupied Poland, and was parachuted behind enemy lines in France. Amazing courage, indomitable physical endurance, and extremely quick wits all contributed to Christine’s brilliant wartime record. Intrepid determination combined with prevailing ...more
Ruth Chambers
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We owe Clare Mulley a great debt for the outstanding The Spy Who Loved . Impressively researched and rich in detail, this biography not only honors the life and work of Christine Granville, a brave and unique woman, but also the countless brave men and women who fought and sacrificed their lives during World War II. Granville’s jaw dropping bravery as a British spy and her contributions to the war effort assume mythic proportions in this page turning narrative. Said to have been Churchill’s favo ...more
Mary
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christine Granville was a complicated hero of WWII to say the least. Thank God Mulley presents the entire person, as much as is possible when writing about a spy who didn't like to write letters. Deeply researched. Granville lead an improbably, fearless, messy life. Many fell in love along the way (myself included!). Her treatment after the war and her unnecessary demise move the needle toward the tragic from the bittersweet at the end of the story. I found some specks of dust irritating my eyes ...more
Molly
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, library
I repeatedly tried to diagnose Christine, the Polish/British WWII spy whose adventures are chronicled in this extremely well researched biography. I also learned A LOT about WWII (particularly Northern Africa's role), that I wasn't aware of before. While reading, I wasn't sure if Christine's Cluster B traits annoyed me, but the book stayed with me long after I finished reading. Definitely dense in parts, but extremely interesting.
Kate Lapinski
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christine Granville and her remarkable story deserve every star available. This book illustrates the magnitude of WW2 (all the nationalities, all the movement between countries, all the different frontlines and different types of fights, all the logistics and bureaucracies) but also shows the smaller human lives that the global conflict changed or shaped entirely.
I am buying a copy of this for myself and also for my some family members.
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An Amazing historical Autobiography of a Polish Contess who was the first Female SOE ( Britain's Special Operations Executive) in WW2. It is a wonderful historical read as well as testament to the bravery and courage women have in spades as much as men do and how ultimately her being a woman in a time when women were not treated with the same equality and given the same status as the men she helped lead and save, ultimately was her undoing.
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I am not used to reading biographies (19th-century novels are more my cup of tea), but I thought this book was well-written and compelling. It started slow but became increasingly more interesting. Not only did I gain a thorough knowledge of one of Britain's most remarkable secret agents, but I also became much more aware of Poland's plight during World War II. A fascinating read!
Manchester Military History Society (MMHS)
Fascinating story of SOE's longest serving woman agent, and recipient of the George Medal, the OBE and the Croix de Guerre.

Clare Mulley has turned up a little known tale of a woman who fought not only the Nazis but the 1940s prejudices against an independent minded woman.
Filmmaker Mary
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling read.
Christine Calabrese
Excellent read. It amazes me how quickly sexual , racial, & national prejudices are discarded during the desperation of wartime, AND how even quicker such prejudices return during peacetime.
Liz V.
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • The Women Who Lived for Danger: The Agents of the Special Operations Executive
  • A Life in Secrets: Vera Atkins and the Missing Agents of WWII.
  • Agent Garbo: The Brilliant, Eccentric Secret Agent Who Tricked Hitler and Saved D-Day
  • The Blitz: The British Under Attack
  • The Short, Strange Life of Herschel Grynszpan: A Boy Avenger, a Nazi Diplomat, and a Murder in Paris
  • Bootstrapper: From Broke to Badass on a Northern Michigan Farm
  • The Secret Rescue: An Untold Story of American Nurses and Medics Behind Nazi Lines
  • Double Agent: The First Hero of World War II and How the FBI Outwitted and Destroyed a Nazi Spy Ring
  • The Retreat: Hitler's First Defeat
  • Liberty: The Lives and Times of Six Women in Revolutionary France
  • Hanns and Rudolf: The True Story of the German Jew Who Tracked Down and Caught the Kommandant of Auschwitz
  • Defiant Brides: The Untold Story of Two Revolutionary-Era Women and the Radical Men They Married
  • Operation Fortitude
  • The Eagle Unbowed: Poland and the Poles in the Second World War
  • The Love-charm of Bombs: Restless Lives in the Second World War
  • The Wolves at the Door: The True Story of America's Greatest Female Spy
  • Ambition and Desire: The Dangerous Life of Josephine Bonaparte
  • Between Silk and Cyanide: A Codemaker's War, 1941-1945
Clare Mulley is the award-wining author of three biographies.
- 'The Women Who Flew for Hitler' (Macmillan, 2017) explores the lives of Nazi Germany's only female test pilots, Hanna Reitsch and Melitta von Stauffenberg.
- 'The Spy Who Loved', (Macmillan, 2012) looks at the secretss and lives of Krystyna Skarbek, aka Christine Granville, the first woman to work for Britain as a special agent the war
More about Clare Mulley

• The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Requiem for the American Dream: The 10 Principles of Concentration of Wealth & Power
    $16.99 $3.99
  • Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath
    $15.99 $3.99
  • Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002)
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Through My Eyes
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
  • Love, Ellen: A Mother/Daughter Journey
    $10.24 $1.99
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom
    $5.99 $1.99
“Christine did not live, or love, as most people do. She lived boundlessly, as generous as she could be cruel, prepared to give her life at any moment for a worthy cause, but rarely sparing a thought for the many casualties that fell in her wake.” 5 likes
“For a once renowned woman who loved telling tales of dodging bullets, wielding grenades and subverting dogs trained to kill, Christine's story is, surprisingly, little known today.” 2 likes