Start by marking “Winter Omens (The Last Year, #2)” as Want to Read:
Winter Omens (The Last Year, #2)

Winter Omens (The Last Year #2)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  978 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Althea and Lucas barely escaped the Others’ clutches in the autumn, and were separated in the process. Alone and on the run from the cruel alien race determined to exterminate her, Althea struggles to adapt and survive in a world she never imagined.

When a boy named Pax appears out of nowhere, he quickly recognizes Althea for what she is – a human/Other hybrid just like hi
Published September 25th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published September 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Omens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Omens

Jilly
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, y-a
Why love triangles, why???? Are teenage girls really getting this many gorgeous teen boys to fall in love with them immediately that love triangles are a natural occurrence? (never happened to me!) Because, according to most of the books these days, this is what every young lady should expect in their life! (Lesson to you girls out there: maybe you aren't pretty, thin or special enough!)

The second thing I really had a problem with in this book was how much time was "down time", where the charact
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yabc-reviews
After reading Whispers in Autumn, which I liked, I was a little bit wary of picking up the sequel. The sequel could really go any number of directions, some of which I really would not have been happy with. Thankfully, Leigh quickly assuaged my fears. From the very beginning, I found myself even more engaged in Winter Omens than I was with Whispers in Autumn. Also, I'm warning you know that the rest of this review will have spoilers for Whispers in Autumn.

Where Whispers in Autumn focused a lot o
Jaime Arkin
The Last Year Series is quickly moving up my list of favorite series of all time. If you haven't started this one then run out and pick up book 1! I promise you are going to love it.

Winter Omens picks up where Whispers in Autumn ends. Althea is alone again in Winter and on the run from The Others. The only thing that holds back her worry about Lucas is the note left for her stating he is safe. But she's not sure how long that statement will hold true so she is in a hurry to get back to him.

Whil
Lisazj1
I still loved the story but the dreaded *for me* damn love triangle, of a sort, took the edge off my enjoyment. I'm glad that Lucas is finally back, and I'm really curious to see how they will get Deshi from the Others....and what will Deshi be when he finally makes it to them?

Looking forward to the next!
Lady Flo
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Even if I knew Pax was coming into the series in this book, I thought he was a she. That was new)
Overall it was interesting and looking forward to the next ones.
Nalana
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story continues - and it's a good one! I loved meeting "Autumn"! Can't wait to see how book three goes.
Erin Arkin
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great second book to the series and I am looking forward to the next book.

This story picks up where book one left off - Althea and Lucas have traveled and are now separated. Althea is in Winter now and makes the decision to pack up some things to head out to the wilds. She ends up meeting two new, and very important characters - Wolf and Pax. Wolf turns up at the shelter she ends up staying in and they come to sort of an agreement - he catches food and she cooks it. They eventually be
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis as part of the ‘The Last Year’ blog tour. Thanks to Trisha Leigh and AToMR blog tours.)
This is the second book in the ‘The Last Year’ series, and picks up where the first book ‘Whispers in Autumn’ left off.
Althea finds herself in Iowa in her winter family’s home. Her note from Cadi explains her situation, and she quickly gets her things together and leaves her home for the wilds.

Alone and stranded, Althea isn’t su
Ivana
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review will be rather short because I don't want to spoil anything from the first book, but also because I don't want to repeat myself. I love this series, period.

I admit that this installment didn't grab me like Whispers in Autumn did. The first half is quite slow; Althea is laying low trying to come up with a plan to find Lucas. Winter Omens has an Ashes feel to it; survive in the wild and walk indefinitely hoping to find what you're looking for while avoiding the Others. I was apprehensi
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Review also at Ja čitam, a ti?

Winter Omens continues where Whispers in Autumn stopped. After all those complications Althea is left alone to figure things out. She has to find the way to survive in one place she always run away from - wilds.

But soon enough she meets someone new. His name is Pax and he is just like her. He doesn't fit in those two types of people. He is not an Other but he is also not like everybody else. Together they have to find a way to discover what lays behind. They travel
Caroline
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
The first of this series was interesting, original, and exciting. This one however, occasionally dragged on for a good while. I did like the introduction of Pax's character, and Wolf. Wolf is now my favorite character in this series, and I swear, if Wolf doesn't make it to the end of this series, I will be more upset about him than ANY of the other characters. (view spoiler) ...more
Jami Leigh
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Plot: 4 1/2 stars
Characters: 5 stars
Style: 4 1/2 stars
Pace: 4 1/2 stars

I'm seriously loving this series. Again, high quality, and I love the tension! The world building especially gets points from me. I love that the aliens are complex, not just the usual predictable "We're here to help and destroying you at the same time". The relationships developing between Althea, Lucas, and Pax keeps even the sections where there's not much external action moving.

All in all, I'm VERY glad I started rea
Caroline
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
2nd in the fantasy series about children who discover they aren't human, but aren't quite fully Others either. They have powers they've learned to harness, but there's one among them who has yet to be found, and only with him can they save the Earth from annihilation by the Others.
Betty Jo Pritchett
Nov 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I hate cliffhanger endings! But that seems to be one of my only complaints about the second book in this series. I also had a hard time with the character Pax. All of his actions don't necessarily seem consistent with his character. But I like Althea and the supporting characters that we meet.
Denise Grover Swank
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This sophomore book doesn't disappoint with the introduction of a new Dissident. The writing it gorgeous and the story fast paced. Winter Omens promises a series readers won't soon forget.
Angela Cate
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian
All I have to say is, Team Pax!
Bee
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I really hope the next book is better.. If not, it'll go in the "DNF" category..
Emily
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome series and I read a ton of this genre. It stands with the best of them!
Sarah Kalaitzidis
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopia
Just as good as the first book, there were even times where I cried in this book. The blend of emotion tugging romance and sadness made me fall in love with this series. This book was even more exciting then the first, and the romance is more heated up, and you won’t believe with who.

This series takes place in Lowa at first, where Althea wakes up from escaping the Others. She isn’t with Lucas and she has to get out of the town before the Others locate her. Soon she meets up with Pax, and they t
Ellen
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Winter Omens picks up where the first book in the series, Whispers in Autumn leaves off. Althea finds herself alone again after she and Lucas are separated when they are forced to travel to avoid being taken prisoner by the Others. The loneliness seems worse than in the beginning for Althea, threatening to consume her, because she doesn't know how to find Lucas. Knowing she cannot stay in the city, she makes her way to the wilds again, just trying to survive the harsh winter and figure out what ...more
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Thank you to AToMr Tours for allowing me to read this ARC and be a part of this EPIC tour! I have to say that I am absolutely in LOVE with this series. It hooked me right from the start and I had to read this book to see what was going to happen to Althea and Lucas. I have to say that Winter Omens did not disappoint me at all!

Winter Omens picks up right where Whispers in Autumn left off. Althea and Lucas are on the run from The Others. The Others want to destroy them because they have powers tha
EmeraldMeadow
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first book for the most part. It had A LOT of inner dialogue which usually drives me bananas in books. Since I had no clue what was going on, it worked to some degree, because I was seeing this world through her eyes and it was intriguing. I have read other books where almost every thought and detail has great value to the story. In this book, though, a lot of it serves no purpose, except to fill lines until the story starts moving again.

Unfortunately, this book hit annoying statu
Christina  Torretta
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Much like the first book, Whispers in Autumn (book review), this book took me by surprise. If you haven’t read the first there will not be any spoilers here but you may want to read my first review before this one as this does pertain to the second in The Last Year series.

First of all, we know there are aliens here but what we still don’t know, are they here to hurt us? We found out early in Whispers in Autumn that they’ve decimated other planets and now they are here. We also now know the chara
Krista
Picking up right where Whispers In Autumn left off, Althea is on her own. Cadi has Lucas and he is safe...somewhere. Althea has traveled to Iowa and must get away so that the Others don't find her. She starts trekking to Portland and finds a friends along the way. Pax smells like apples and cinnamon; he is Autumn. Now Althea knows of the four, but where is Lucas and what have the Others done with the real Deshi?

The friendship that develops between Pax and Althea is sweet. She has to examine her
carole
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this almost-better-than-the-first-book sequel we follow Althea on her quest to find Lucas. If you haven't read Whispers in Autumn DO SO NOW! Don't read any further, except for below to enter the giveaway and follow this blog tour.

Trisha Leigh succeeds in creating a followup that is a worthy component of one of my new favorite series. With the first book being one of the most creative and intense reads I've experienced in a while I was on the edge of my seat to begin reading this one, and I'm
Michelle
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great, solid series. Whispers in Autumn and Winter Omens are just good writing- plain and simple. They have everything that makes up great books. Realistic, relatable characters, great writing, a kick ass plot, and just this something extra that draws you in and keeps you happily reading. I read these books back to back so I know it is going to be tough for me to wait for the next one to be released. (sigh...)

Althea if at all possible, is even more alone at the start of this book
Lauren Whitman
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm enjoying this series and plan to stay with it to the end.

However, I didn't think this book was quite as good as the first book. I didn't think Pax's character was developed quite as well as it was for Lucas. I didn't feel I got to know him as well.

I thought the action scenes were a bit much at times - the torture descriptions seemed to go on and on. I'm sure it was to give the feel of how endless the pain seemed to the one undergoing it but I found myself skipping over the rest and going on
Katherine
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: strong-heroine, alien
Once again Leigh has done it again. This is a great series and have enjoyed every page of each book. While the first book was slow paced and had little action, this book was fast paced and had more action. I enjoyed how Althea grew into being confident and being a strong leader, and actually kicking butt like none other. I also like that I was able to experience the growth of each character, especially Althea and Pax, seeing and feeling all the emotions they felt. Each character grew on me and I ...more
Stephanie Ward
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review
'Winter Omens', the second installment in the Last Year series, picks up right where the first book ended and just keeps running. We are again following along with Althea and Lucas on their mission to find out the truth of who they really are, what their destiny is, and what exactly the Others have planned. They are on a quest to save the world before it's too late.

Just like the first book in the series, this one is full of action and twists that have you desperately turning pages to find out wh
Emmanuelle
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a thrill ride! I LOVED this sequel to Whispers in Autumn. It picked up right where book 1 left off and jumped right into that action...no time for rest. We continue to get to know Althea better since she's the main character and we are introduced to Pax and a few new friends. Pax is an interesting character as one wants to like him, but dislike him at the same time because he's so unpredictable and different from Lucas.

The storyline stays active and engaging for the entirety of the novel.
Deshi 2 15 Dec 09, 2012 02:07AM
  • Hindsight (Mira Chambers #2)
  • Two (One Universe #2)
  • Beneath (Heven and Hell, #3.5)
  • Nessa (Breeders, #1.1)
  • Arise (Syrenka, #3)
  • Autumn Dawn (The Witchling, #2.5)
  • At First Touch
  • Not Quite Cold (Lowcountry Mysteries, #2)
  • Lab Rat One (Touchstone, #2)
  • Dancing with Death (Dancing, #1)
  • Madly & the Jackal (Madly, #3)
  • Pack Hunter (Were Chronicles, #8)
  • ReAwakened (Angel Creek, #2)
  • Nyx
  • Daunting Days of Winter (The Kyle Tait Series)
  • Collide (The Taking, #3)
  • Released Souls (Witch Avenue, #3)
  • Nissa: A Contemporary Fairy Tale
Trisha Leigh is a product of the Midwest, which means it’s pop, not soda, garage sales, not tag sales, and you guys as opposed to y’all. Most of the time. She’s been writing seriously for five years now, and has published 4 young adult novels and 4 new adult novels (under her pen name Lyla Payne). Her favorite things, in no particular order, include: reading, Game of Thrones, Hershey’s kisses, rea ...more
More about Trisha Leigh...

The Last Year (4 books)
  • Whispers in Autumn (The Last Year, #1)
  • Betrayals in Spring (The Last Year, #3)
  • Summer Ruins (The Last Year, #4)

“You can love people, and you can befriend them, but the only person you can ever one hundred percent depend on is yourself.” 18 likes