Start by marking “The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)

The Diviners

(The Diviners #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  66,186 ratings  ·  10,168 reviews
1920s New York. A teen clairvoyant. An old evil. It has begun...

Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old home town and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City - and she is pos-i-tute-ly thrilled! New York is the city of speak-easies, rent parties, shopping and movie palaces, and soon enough Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfeld girls and rakish
Published November 2012 by Allen & Unwin (first published September 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Diviners, please sign up.
Jane No, you are not. One disk into the audiobook and I cannot stand her.
Cat Jericho is a boooooooring white bread character. Bummed this love triangle is even happening, it's unnecessary. Sam actually has character, and their…moreJericho is a boooooooring white bread character. Bummed this love triangle is even happening, it's unnecessary. Sam actually has character, and their tension has been developed from the get go. (less)

·  66,186 ratings  ·  10,168 reviews

Start your review of The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
Chaima ✨ شيماء
This book makes me feel so nostalgic for life in 1920s New York which is weird because I wasn’t even alive for that decade, so why do I miss it? Seriously. Is it just me or do other people get homesick from books? You miss the comforting feeling of the characters and the world created by the author and wish to stay long after you turn the lastpage?

The impossible wonder of an era I was never a part of still snags at me and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.

So, what's this book?

It’s
Zoë
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Original Review 2018: This was pos-i-tute-ly the perfect spooky Halloween read! Supernatural powers! Murder! 1920s New York! A creepy song that will haunt me for the rest of my life! I can keep going.
There were times when I was genuinely scared (usually when I was reading right before bed). Let's just say I'll never be able to use the word "naughty" ever again without giving myself nightmares.
This book also had a huge cast of characters that we are just getting to know - and I love each and
Melanie
“The Diviners must stand, or all shall fall.”

The Diviners is a historical, paranormal fantasy set in 1920s New York City! And in this alternative history, there are people called Diviners who have magical abilities that are hidden from the world. And these powers will come in handy as a demon like being who was summoned from a Ouija board starts ritualistically killing people, while also bringing upon the apocalypse.

Evie O’Neill - Sent to NY to stay with her uncle after causing too much of
Emily May
There is love. Oh, there is so much love that I am having for this book and Ms Bray right now. Even taking the length into account, this novel took me longer than usual to read because I had to read everything more than once and swoon for a little bit before I could move on. I am thrilled to hear that there will be a sequel.

If I were to write a novel, I wouldn't want to hear claims like "this is the next Hunger Games (or Twilight or Harry Potter)" but I think one of the greatest compliments must
Caz (littlebookowl)
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, audiobook
THIS WAS SO DAMN GOOD!
Listening on audiobook was such a great experience. I loved the writing and the story, oh so chilling! GIMME MORE :)
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 8/8/19: This was my first time reading this since the third book came out and Libba Bray is a foreshadowing MASTER. I love this story and these characters so damn much and I cannot wait to re-read Lair of Dreams next month! This was a buddy read for the #DivinersReadalong with Melanie, Jane, & Madalyn! The liveshow discussion will be on my channel on Friday, August 16th at 6pm PST / 9pm EST and we hope to see you there!

Re-read 10/3/17: Finished this re-read in one day because I AM
Brigid ✩
9/25/15:

Finished re-reading this and it was even better the second time! Now I am finally reading the sequel and I'm very excited. :D

----------

Original Review (10/10/12):

OH GOD OH MAN OH GOD OH MAN.

So yeah, basically this book left me like this:

I've been a die-hard Libba Bray fan ever since the fabulous Gemma Doyle books. I also loved the insane, bizarre adventure of Going Bovine. And Beauty Queens was hilarious––although I thought it was a bit lacking in the usual strong storytelling element
Mitch
Sep 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know how else to describe The Diviners except to say it’s pretty clear when reading this that Libba Bray set out to write a quintessentially American novel, and - good and bad - she’s succeeded. She may insist no historians were harmed in the writing of her book, but I just don’t see how she’s mastered such command of American history, not just through the facts, but through the way she captures the American experience, that she didn’t torture it out of someone. But just like America, ...more
Emma Giordano
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update 12/2/2019 - Raising my rating to 5 stars! The Diviner's is absolutely one of my favorite series of all time. I am so excited to continue rereading the series in anticipation for the finale with the #DivinersClub readalong!

Nat
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical-realism
“The time is now. They are coming,” Isaiah said, drifting back into dreams, his last word barely a whisper: “Diviners.”

This was exactly my kind of book - with talk about the occult, magical-realism, and even a little horror (that I could handle for once) - I couldn’t help but fall for The Diviners. To quote Maggie Stiefvater, good magic is a little horrific, and good horror is always a little magical. And Libba Bray brought just that to the table with this chilling and wondrous book.

This follows
carol.
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I don't.
Recommended to carol. by: I don't hate you. Honest.

"Ms. Bray, I have an idea for your next book."
"Yes?"
"Well, the researcher who worked on The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York left some notes lying in the library, and someone I know swiped 'em."
"Perfect! What should we make it about?"
"Hmm, not sure. Let's workshop it."
"Okay. Target audience?"
"Well, you have some cred in Young Adult, and the field is on fire. If we make it about a 17 year-old and her friends, we can draw in the pre-teens and the
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Emily May
Shelves: library
I'm obviously late to the party, but I so enjoyed this one! The audiobook took the story to an entirely other level for me; the narrator was fabulous and did so many voices in a unique way without sounding cheesy or lame. Definitely excited to continue on with the series and look forward to answering some of the questions that were left open here.
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
This book right here, was amazing.
It was spooky, fun, intriguing, really just everything I was hoping for.

Setting
First off, the setting was awesome. It's set in 1926 New York, a city bustling with flappers, speakeasies and the challenges of prohibition. Adding the spooky element of the occult and the mystery of murders to an already fun setting just made for set the whole thing up for success.

Characters
Set against this background, we have a plethora of characters.
First, we have the protagonist
Mohammed Arabey
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
..finally released from ‘Starbucks’ before midnight, I was caught in last pages of The Diviners, and heavy rain Storm hit Alexandria that evening.
But as I get off the doors, Everything was different..

I was facing Alexandria's famous Sea Corniche, cafes' lights, wet streets no more..
There's speakeasy & theater lights instead, the yellow cabs turned into old models..
But the wet streets still there..and The Storm is yet to come..
Well,
L-E-T-S--S-T-A-R-T--F-R-O-M--T-H-E--B-E-G-I-N-N-I-N'

Let's see
Whitney Atkinson
The best way I can describe this book is The Great Gatsby meets Buzzfeed Unsolved.

Even though this audiobook was 16 hours long, it flew by. I listened to the prologue and had to stop it and take a break because I was already so creeped out, and there were definitely other parts that I read in the middle of the night that made me want to turn my lights on and check under my bed. This book definitely has a creepy vibe and is such an amazing, atmospheric listen. The setting of the 20s was so much
Elise (TheBookishActress)
She was tired of being told how it was by this generation, who’d botched things so badly. They’d sold their children a pack of lies: God and country. Love your parents. All is fair. And then they’d sent those boys, her brother, off to fight a great monster of a war that maimed and killed and destroyed whatever was inside them. Still they lied, expecting her to mouth the words and play along. Well, she wouldn’t. She knew now that the world was a long way from fair. She knew the monsters were
❄️Nani❄️
This was my third attempt at this book and... victory at last!

Once again it was a rather slow start that failed to grip me mind body and soul right from the get-go (that might’ve been too much to ask. Hence the third attempt) but once I passed that difficult stage, I found it enjoyable.
I wouldn’t go so far as to say extremely enjoyable but I was hooked nonetheless.

The plot was extremely well written and the history elements were amazingly researched and in-depth.
My initial reason to give this
Fables&Wren
WrensReads Review:

New favorite obsession! It’s dark but classy...

...beautiful but swallowed in the feel of a haunting.

There are a lot of characters in this book. So, let’s do this list style:

Evie O'Neill
I positutely love Evie. She is such a unique heroine. Usually, the heroines these days are mysterious, introverted and quiet about how they are different. Evie is none of those things. She is a flapper (setting is in the 1920s), she is as extroverted and confident as they come, and she isn’t shy
Lola
You have no idea how many times I have wanted to be able to mark this book as ‘‘read’’ on Goodreads. The first time I attempted to read it, I was only 16 and gave up after the first two chapters. Then I tried again a few years ago but gave up at page 50. But something in me really wanted to finish this book, whether I ended up loving it or hating it, so I finally decided to sit somewhere quiet and immerse myself in this story a month ago.

The reason why I couldn’t finish it those two previous
✨    jamieson   ✨
“Naughty John, Naughty John, does his work with his apron on. Cuts your throat and takes your bones, sells ‘em off for a coupla stones.”

boy this shit was so good !! i die !!. Everyone kept telling me this series was the cats meow and I JUST DIDN'T LISTEN. And I should have, it's positutely swell !!

(okay enough lingo references) but the first thing I LOVED about this book was the setting. It's set in 1920s America and boy that is just such a fun setting to play around in. And Libba Bray
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
The heroine was intolerably stupid, annoying, attention-seeking, and inconsiderate. She grated on my nerves so badly, I can barely bring myself to read on. I find Libba Bray's writing style for this book completely unreadable. I have a strong suspicion she read a reference guide to using slang during the Flapper era and made it her personal goal to use as much speakeasy language as possible in every single spoken sentence.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Really enjoyed this! Loved the characters and the setting, but the mystery wasn’t the best I’ve ever read!
Nick
Oct 24, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Someone told me that this book is a bit similar to sense8 and if that's true, I'll start it in a sec.
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

We are the Diviners.
We have been and we will be.
It is a power that comes from the great energy of the land and its people, a realm shared for a spell, for as long as is needed.
We see the dead.
We speak to restless spirits.
We walk in dreams.
We read meaning from every held thing.
The future unfolds for us like the navigators map, showing seas we have yet to travel.”

Story
Buddy read with the wonderful Eli :*
I guess I’m a little bit disappointed.
I had way too high expectations for this.
I
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, 2018-books
“Naughty John, Naughty John, does his work with his apron on. Cuts your throat and takes your bones, sells 'em off for a coupla stones.”

WELL I'LL BE DAMNED.

GOODNESS GRACIOUS where do I start? Because HOLY SMOKES that was the CAT'S MEOW!! GOLLY, I was completely blown away. Some parts in this book just gave me the flying HEEBIE-JEEBIES. And other parts of the book made me laugh as if I was high on GIGGLE WATER!!

......ok modern century talk now and 1920s lingo aside, The Diviners, was a well
Raeleen Lemay
I would feel really bad about about not finishing this if I weren't so overwhelmingly bored by it.

I LOVE (most of) Libba Bray's books, so the decision to not finish this book did not come without much deliberation. In the beginning I was intrigued by the world, and I actually really liked Evie as a character. But 150 pages in, I stopped caring about the plot, Evie had become very repetitive and irritating, and the clichés turned me off.

Perhaps someday I'll pick it up again, but I can't force
Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius*
This book irritated the crap out of me.

I gave it 3 stars, but it hovers around the 2.5 mark for me. While I enjoyed the story and it held my interest throughout, the cutesy vernacular made me insane and ruined it for me.

This book is set in the 1920’s when prohibition was in full swing and you couldn’t swing a cat without hitting a bobbed haired flapper girl. Evie (said flapper) was sent away from her fake Ohio town of Zenith to New York City, after a party game showing off her divining power
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
*cue eerie music*
description

At a birthday party in New York in the 1920's, a bunch of teenagers decide to play with a Ouija board. They promptly do several things they're REALLY not supposed to do, like failing to make the spirit controlling the board say good-bye (is this really a thing?), thereby unleashing the spirit of a serial killer on the world. I'm one chapter in and already I know this book is not going to be my cuppa tea: Horror novels are just not my thing, and evil supernatural kinds of
Felicia
I am doing a big project in my house: Reading the ever-increasing stack of ACTUAL books that is piling up next to my bed! The dust on them is just monumental, since I honestly read most of my stuff on my Kindle, sigh. So project; "Chip away at stack" commence!

I've had this book on the stack for a while, and I didn't know anything about it, except the blurb on the back reminded me of one of my favorite iOS games: Elder Signs. 20's, occult, NYC etc. I thought the atmosphere was pretty interesting,
preoccupiedbybooks
A fantastically atmospheric and creepy audiobook, which had me bewitched right from the very start!

Well, The Diviners had been on my TBR for years! I think it may have been one of the first books which I added on Goodreads! I finally picked it up as an audiobook, and it was one of my favourite audiobooks yet. It was 18.5 hours long, but I got through it quickly. I never lost interest, and it kept me fully entertained I am so happy that I listened to this as an audiobook because the narrator,

• Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • Sadie
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • Radio Silence
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • The Devouring Gray (The Devouring Gray, #1)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
What is it about writing an author bio that gives me that deer-in-headlights feeling? It's not exactly like I'm going to say "I was born in Alabama…" and somebody's going to jump up and snarl, "Oh yeah? Prove it!" At least I hope not.

I think what gets me feeling itchy is all that emphasis on the facts of a life, while all the juicy, relevant, human oddity stuff gets left on the cutting room floor.

The Diviners (4 books)
  • Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)
  • Before the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners, #3)
  • The King of Crows (The Diviners, #4)
“How do you invent a religion?” Evie asked.

Will looked over the top of his spectacles. “You say, ‘God told me the following,’ and then wait for people to sign up.”
306 likes
“Some mornings, she’d wake and vow, Today, I will get it right. I won’t be such an awful mess of a girl. I won’t lose my temper or make unkind remarks. I won’t go too far with a joke and feel the room go quiet with disapproval. I’ll be good and kind and sensible and patient. The sort everyone loves. But by evening, her good intentions would have unraveled. She’d say the wrong thing or talk a little too loudly. She’d take a dare she shouldn’t, just to be noticed. Perhaps Mabel was right, and she was selfish. But what was the point of living so quietly you made no noise at all? “Oh, Evie, you’re too much,” people said, and it wasn’t complimentary. Yes, she was too much. She felt like too much inside all the time. So why wasn’t she ever enough?” 274 likes