Start by marking “One minute of mindfulness” as Want to Read:
One minute of mindfulness

One minute of mindfulness

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  224 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Being fully in each moment leads to peace and well-being — but it’s harder than it sounds, especially in a world with constant demands on our time and attention. How do you practice mindfulness when you’re faced with difficult coworkers, overwhelming schedules, or stubborn kids? In this book, Donald Altman brings the benefits of mindfulness down to earth and into everyday ...more
Published August 16th 2011 by New World Library (first published July 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about One minute of mindfulness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One minute of mindfulness

Tami
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When reading spiritual self help books, I have often found myself wondering how people find the time to meditate for two or three hours a day. I am in absolute awe of their self-discipline but I don’t even get to go to the bathroom alone without a little one following me in. I can’t imagine that I’d even need stress relief if I had two hours (even one hour) of regular mediation.

One Minute Mindfulness immediately attracted my attention. The book focuses on mindfulness and awareness. Essentially,
Larraine
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In trying to figure out how I can be more at peace with myself and with the world at large, I was looking around for interesting ideas. I came across this book. It has had a profound influence. I hope I can continue the journey. The author is a former Buddhist monk who uses Buddhist teachings to talk about how we can all be more mindful at work, in a group, with our families and with ourselves. One of the suggestions is to find a poem or scripture or something meaningful as a way to meditate. Th ...more
Zen Nana
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over the years, so many people have said to me, “Oh, I can’t possibly do meditation or mindfulness or any of that stuff! I don’t have the time!” When 20 minutes a day was mentioned for meditation practice, they balked. When I suggested a mere five minutes, they balked again. And I get it. I’m busy too. I don’t meditate as often or as long as I would like to and I forget to be mindful as much as anyone else. So when I saw the title “One-Minute Mindfulness: 50 Simple Ways to Find Peace, Clarity, a ...more
Lisa  Carlson
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Lisa by: found at library
Shelves: healthy
Is life hectic for you? Do you make excuses why you can't get your life in order or feel like you have no time?
It's our responsibility to take control of our own lives. Psychotherapist and former Buddhist monk Donald Altman gives readers an easy guide to understanding how to come to mindfulness in 5 areas of our life; Home and Play, Work and Creativity, Relationships and Love, Health and Well Being, Spirituality and Contemplation. If at a mere 168 pages you can't take the time to read this and i
Brandy
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In One Minute Mindfulness, David Altman talks about how in our stressed out lives with work, relationships and our daily responsibilities, etc., many of us tend go into automatic pilot mode. This book provides positive and insightful guidance on how to take just one minute of your time each day to center and build awareness of your thoughts and actions. Each section of the book provides simple, straight forward exercises. This is not a life changing read, but is a great reminder to all of us to ...more
Becky K
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book because I could feel myself getting lost in life and needed simple reminders to re-center myself. It's an easy read, and I love the short chapters that each have a simple way to practice the technique presented in the chapter. Lots of good ideas and I shared a few with a friend going through a difficult time.

This will be one I hold on to and recommend to friends and family. Sometimes we all need reminders to focus on what's truly important in life!
Gloria
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-the-spirit
Highly accessible book organized by themes: home, play, work, relationships, health, and more. The excerpts are short 2-3 pages essays with a practice exercise concluding each one. Gentle in tone, the messages seem to be a blend of what you might hear in a counseling session or from a Buddhist practitioner, or just a good friend. Could easily be used daily as a devotional. Calming to read.
Morgan Stahlhut
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely made you think from a different perspective and brought up a lot of things that I've been hiding over the years! Made tons of notes and will continue to use the techniques that were suggested!
Liltánel
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was a great book full of simple and quick ways to find peace in your life. I found it especially interesting because I am doing meditation for my I-Search and this book is full of ways to meditate in short periods of time.
Megan Lacore
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-growth
Simple, quick reminders of how to get out of your head and back in the moment. Super fast read. I enjoyed it, was a pleasant reminder to let things just be.
Terrie
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good ideas. I took notes. Now to practice, practice, practice...
Megan Bond
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the simple thought processes - this was a good book to read one "chapter" a day
Sue
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very satisfying! Lots of great one minute practices.
Trish
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2015
This book is good to make you stop and think about things.
Carol
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-challenge
This was one of the best self help books that I have read, I highly
recommend it.
Patia
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great ways to use one minute to lose stress and gain inner calm and quiet. Nicely done.
Kristina Stefanova
That's a book that reveals interesting aspects of everyday's life. It includes good advice on how to appreciate little things around you. I can share that it made me a bit more thoughtful. It's more like a guide book, you have to rewind every chapter in order to remember all the good practices described in the book.
Diane
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each chapter has a different thought, and action to help with living in the moment. It might be about forgiveness, or paying attention to the first and last bite of a meal. Each exercise is designed to help you refocus on the present minute to slow down the monkey brain. I read a different chapter each day to remind myself to refocus.
Cindy Fota
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
This was a quick read, which was good, but the ideals were not expanded upon, which was bad. I got a few pearls of wisdom from this book, however, I need to research them further since they were only discussed topically. That could have been the author's intent, but I wanted more bang for my buck.
Ju
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
158.12 Some very excellent ideas in this book. Mr Altman wrote 50 chapters, each under two pages, with a practice session at the end. Chapters are grouped in sections such as home & play, work & creativity, and health & well-being. I think trying even just a few of things would give someone a new attitude.
Sherri
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the description says, "simple and profound." Although I didn't read this cover to cover I did enjoy several of the short meditations, they were short, easy to read and implement. This is a good introduction for a novice and I'd recommend it.
Aurora
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although it occasionally gets so simplified it veers into mindfulness for dummies, I really appreciated this very readable little book. It would be an excellent staring point for someone interested in the topic but not sure where to begin, or how deeply they want to delve.
Alison Lea
Just didn't grab me.
Carina
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
May be one minute mindfulness but the mindfulness sections take longer to read prior.
Leslie Ferrari
Very interesting, although not what I was expecting from the title.
Teresa in Ohio
Mar 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read
I found this book overbearing, condesending and very judgmental.
Adrienne Amborski
Fifty simple ways to achieve mindfulness. Easy to read and concise a great read for pratical tips to calm the mind.
Mommyhungry
Apr 04, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Reading one practice a week . . . .
Jon
rated it did not like it
Aug 16, 2015
Carin
May 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder: A 4-Step Plan for You and Your Loved Ones to Manage the Illness and Create Lasting Stability
  • Mindfulness for Beginners
  • Feeding Your Demons: Ancient Wisdom for Resolving Inner Conflict
  • The Artist's Rule: Nurturing Your Creative Soul with Monastic Wisdom
  • 52 Small Changes: One Year to a Happier, Healthier You
  • Ten Days to Self-Esteem
  • The Mindfulness Solution: Everyday Practices for Everyday Problems
  • Wood Becomes Water: Chinese Medicine in Everyday Life
  • Chakras and Their Archetypes: Uniting Energy Awareness and Spiritual Growth
  • A Religion of One's Own: A Guide to Creating a Personal Spirituality in a Secular World
  • The Little Book of Energy Medicine: The Essential Guide to Balancing Your Body's Energies
  • Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path
  • Me, Myself, & Lies: A Thought-Closet Makeover -Bible Study Workbook
  • How to Train a Wild Elephant: And Other Adventures in Mindfulness
  • Happiness Is an Inside Job: Practicing for a Joyful Life
  • Wheels of Light: Chakras, Auras, and the Healing Energy of the Body
  • Meditation Secrets for Women: Discovering Your Passion, Pleasure, and Inner Peace
  • Ten Breaths to Happiness: Touching Life in its Fullness

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Three Nights in August: Strategy, Heartbreak, and Joy Inside the Mind of a Manager
    $14.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle
  • Why Have Kids?: A New Mom Explores the Truth About Parenting and Happiness
    $5.99 $0.99
“To forgive does not mean we condone the misdeeds of another. We can dedicate ourselves to making sure they never happen again. But without forgiveness the world can never be released from the sorrows of the past…. Forgiveness is a way to move on.” 3 likes
“...greet the day gently and with utmost care.” 2 likes