Start by marking “Seductive Secrets (Secret Lives, #1)” as Want to Read:
Seductive Secrets (Secret Lives, #1)

Seductive Secrets

(Secret Lives #1)

Someone wants Alyce Hythe dead…

Shunned from London society for being the daughter of England’s most notorious spy, Alyce Hythe desires only to clear her father’s name. For years, she has been hidden away from all prying eyes, given a new identity and told to forget who she was. But strange things have been happening causing old rumors to once more be whispered. Long has L
Published July 10th 2012 (first published April 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Seductive Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seductive Secrets

Shilo Quetchenbach
Jun 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
I actually found the story very interesting - but I really really wish someone else had written it. The writing was TERRIBLE. Possibly the worst-written book I've ever read. I would have put it back down after the first few chapters, but I wanted to know what happened. so, +4 for intriguing story, characters, and situation. -8 for writing.

Some choice examples:

"His lack of fortune hadn't waned their attraction toward each other." and "Dancing gracefully across the dance floor, the music ended."
Jessy
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were many editing problems throughout this book, BUT I couldn't put it down! I read it in one day! It was paced perfectly. I didn't get bored as the story line built up like so many books these days...I recommend this book to people who like romance, deceit, conspiracy and mystery.
Amaryllis Turman
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review was previously published on my blog http://wp.me/p1P7gt-a1

In this romance story, Alyce is trying to find evidence to prove that her father was murdered instead of committing suicide after killing a fellow officer. If (and it is a big IF) she is able to exonerate him from this, it will also prove that her father was not guilty of espionage and treason. Julian is the grandson of Alyce's guardian. Julian's brother is also the man that Alyce's father allegedly killed.

Of course, Alyce's i
Adrienne
Terrible I cannot believe that this is actually a published work. Did no one read this before it was published? There are a host of grammatical issues that get worse throughout the story which ruined the reading. That is something that usually occurs with free e-books I know but then there were the inconsistent pronouns that made it difficult to find out what exactly was happening within a scene.

I must admit I only made it a little over half way through this book and I had to stop because it ma
Melanie
Aug 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
OK, I have to say that I was extremely disappointed with this book. I had put it down to read something else about 5 times. Since I'm not one to not finish a book no matter how crappy I pushed myself the last few days to finish it. It had a lot of potential if it would have been written better. The story was extremely confusing. I'm not going to even try to explain it since it gives me a headache. It was like she tried to write about a love story (and failing) or a who done it. It was like the a ...more
Christy
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had trouble putting this story down. It is complex and the characters engaging. There were lots of twists and unexpected turns, but the relationships between characters were well-developed. I had some confusion to find out that Julian had actually been the Lieutenant, and difficultly reconciling the first couple of chapters with that notion. If he took her to his father for safe keeping, why wouldn't he inquire as to her whereabouts afterward. The author tries to reconcile the points but less ...more
jane pearson
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Secret lives book 1

A really excellent story very written and it's more than a romance it has a really good plot that grabs you and the heroine is in the middle of it
Dee Doyle
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Secrets

Intriguing. Suspenseful. Truly enjoyed the various twists and turns throughout. With each twist a new plot evolves. Despite this truly love is found.
Jackie Merino
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly love

I got this book a long time ago and I'm glad I opened it. Once I started reading couldn't put it down.
Duchess Paula
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well... where do I begin with this one. The story was ok and the plot was ok, but there is a lot of issues with this one. It is completely lacking in the essence of the age.

The main character, Alyce, has been more or less raised a peasant since the age of 12. Now she's brought back into society and no one knows the wiser. She's thrown into a pretty dress and a tiara and is just openly accepted by the ton. I would assume she would be lacking in their mannerisms, aloofness, social skills... the w
Jenna
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A good story, and full of thrill and action.....spionage, murder, and a traitor to the crown of England.

Alyce Hythe life was in danger due to her father's past being the notorious spy of England. Strangers are attempting to kill her a few times upon her knowledge of witnessing the murder of her father. Her father died protecting England's secret, but was framed-up by the highest rank in the crown to get the blood money from the war of selling guns to Colonial America.

A page turner just read it
Aspoon
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You have to be a good writer to have a reader fall Unrealistically in love with a character...What I wouldn't give to meet a real Lord Julian Casvelyn. One of my favorite male characters.

This book had a lot of energy from beginning to end. Lot's of twists and turns between the sultry lovemaking. I loved both the hero and the heroine. Great Book!
Shay
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
The book started out well but it needs some major editing. There were some sentences I could not understand because the author added extra words. I'm not sure if it was to sound more formal or just typos. The story was good but became convoluted towards the end. A good copy editor could help this book get to 3 stars easily.
S.R. Roddy
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Highly recommend this book. It kept me engaged throughout the entire story. It had been a while since I read a nice romantic mystery. I also enjoyed the small paranormal twist. A good read for those who like sweet historical romances that concentrates more on the story line than the sexual attraction of the characters.
Taylor Simons
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was AMAZING!!! I loved it and I couldn't put it down. It was that good of a book. I almost died when Alyce almost died. I had to keep reading to make sure she lived and poor Julian didn't live without her.
Jessie
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it

A great read! Loved reading a historical romantic novel again. Lots of twists, turns, secrets uncovered, love & piece of mind with all the men/women in this book. Thanks to the author for such an enjoyable HEA book. This is the first I've read if this author, but it won't be the last!
Leisa Prater
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I dearly enjoyed this story...I loved Alyce's connection to Charles. I loved the twist of the twins. A very interesting story that I didn't stop until I finished.
Sherrie
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book! It was a fun read and I got it for free from amazon. I would definitely recommend this book! Yes I will read it again later lol.
Constant Reader
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Tosh

Well, she certainly has an imagination, there is a lot of plot to this tale, but also a lack of ability to develop credible characters, or to write English that in any way reflects the period, or is even grammatical. Exuberant but very badly written tosh.
Katie
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have to admit I was surprised to see so many negative reviews so I decided to go back and write one myself. I love history and have found that many writers often make mistakes when writing historical fiction. It would be difficult for me to read historical fiction if I always feel the need to nitpick so I have worked really hard to ignore it. That being said I did notice mistakes like the aristocratic titles in this book but it personally didn't distract me much from the story. My copy had no ...more
Jill
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I'm very divided on this book. It's not a Regency-era book. It's late-Georgian. There's only one reference to the period at the very end.

This is not a happy, fluffy romance. It's not dark, but it is a mystery with conspiracies, political intrigue and a few deaths. That doesn't necessarily make it bad. There were some editing issues, but not many. I did not like the three, yes, three sex scenes. They really had plenty of time to get married. He had the special license in his pocket for a while, t
Heather
This book gave me a headache! I tried to get in to this story, I really did, but it was so confusing. Trying to figure out who everyone was seemed my biggest challenge. Some characters had more than one name...and I do get that in historical romance that is a given, but once they are introduced choose one or the other. This author kept using both names at different points in the story and it was so hard to keep up.
I can't even begin to try and explain this story. Yes the basic premise of it I u
Jean
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Jackie Williams
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This lovely story has a complicated plot line. There are so many twists that it's hard to keep up on occasions, but it's worth sticking with as the building romance is wonderful. Julian and Alyce are perfect for each other.

I liked how the serious subject of war and post traumatic stress are brought up in just a sentence or two but obviously impact on the whole story.

The characters are distinctly drawn and the relationship between Charles and his secretary is beautifully written.

4* book because a
Sarah G. Baker
Don't let the book cover deceive you!

This is not a steamy romance novel (and that's just fine), but the writing is poor, editing is worse and the story is difficult to follow. it's like a derailed train. it's hard to follow the characters who are under developed and shallow at best. I would have thrown it out and quit reading except I somehow felt committed to finishing it. don't waste your time. if you're looking for a romance novel, look elsewhere!
Dawn
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
The idea of this story is a good one; however, the author has a horrible writing style. The book is full of grammatical errors, and she uses "within" "upon" and "all" at least once in almost every paragraph. This often makes the sentence awkward and interrupts the flow. I would have returned it to Amazon if it was not a free book. This was not a good way to introduce me to this author, and I am unlikely to pay money to read another attempt by her to write a book.
Heidi
Jul 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
I've learned that some of the cheesiest titles with equally cheesy covers can sometimes surprise me with good writing, witty dialogue and interesting images of another time period. Unfortunately not this time. Cliched characters, over dramatic plot twists and ridiculous romance scenes that had me turning pages without glancing back.

The one star is for being mildly spooky during a few scenes... more of that would have certainly been welcome.

So glad it was free!
Mel
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by this author and she didn't disappoint. The writing style takes a little getting use to but the plot was different... I like that. At one point I was surprised at one of the twists in the storyline, which isn't usual for me. I don't like spoilers so I'll leave it at that, but I enjoy it when something happens that I don't see coming. I got this book on sale and tried it out, and would definitely purchase this author in the future.
Dorothy Jones
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love the book...it's a must read if you love romance suspense novels

Love the book...it's a must read if you love romance suspense novels

This is a must read novel. Five stars for the author Colleen Connally creative imagination for a great read suspense novel. I could not put the book down and can't wait to read another one. of her books.
Gilgamesha
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Too many twists and turns in the plot to make it enjoyable. The culmination of all the chaos was too far fetched. A government conspiracy...fine, greed of a man with bad finances....ok...protecting your offspring...alright.....but the scenario that was the ultimate revelation was too fantastical. Very unrealistic even for a regency romance.
  • Runaway Heart
  • Eulogy's Secret (The Huntley Trilogy #1)
  • Game of Hearts  (Happily Ever After Company, #1)
  • Aces Wild (Angels Avengers #1)
  • Love's Portrait
  • Wallflower (The Old Maids' Club, #1)
  • Her Wicked Ways (Secrets & Scandals, #1)
  • The Impostor Bride (Dangerous Masquerade Collection, #3)
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • The Sweetest Revenge
  • Becoming A Lady
  • Hint of Desire (Desire #1)
  • Fated
  • Midnight Lover
  • Caroline (Beauvisage, #1)
  • Wild Passion (Wild, #3)
  • All's Fair in Love & Seduction (The Elusive Lords, #2.5)
  • The Inconvenient Duchess (The Radwells #1)

Secret Lives (3 books)
  • Broken Legacy (Secret Lives, #2)
  • Seductive Lies (Secret Lives, #3)