Start by marking “Edgewood (Edgewood, #1)” as Want to Read:
Edgewood (Edgewood, #1)

Edgewood (Edgewood #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  2,696 Ratings  ·  314 Reviews
From bestselling author Karen McQuestion—a brand new, spellbinding novel.

The night Russ Becker witnesses a strange astronomical event, his world changes forever. Before long Russ discovers he's developed incredible superpowers, and he’s not the only one. Three other young people—beautiful Mallory, arrogant Jameson, and mysterious Nadia—have had the same experience and all
Published September 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published August 26th 2012)

Anne
3.5 stars.
This was another one of those that I grabbed as a freebie on Amazon.
Sign up for email alerts, people!

Every thing about this felt like one of those b-list tv shows I loved when I was younger.
There was a time...many moons ago...when not every single show on television had a paranormal/sci-fi twist. In fact, very few had that flavor.
Unless you watched the stuff from some of the lower budget channels.
Which, of course, I did.
And since options were limited, you just sucked it up and took
Alice
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
3.75 insomniac stars

Edgewood

Russel is your average teenager, attends school and has a 3.6GPA. He also has friends and family. But he has a secret. He suffers from insomnia, and cannot sleep until he has a midnight walk. Then one time, he sees something. It's calling to him. So he investigates...

Russ sees something miraculous. But it leaves side effects, and he isn't the only one who knows about it. Three other teenagers have also experienced it, hopefully they will have all the answers, but maybe they
Hallie
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, sf
I probably did this no favours by starting reading it in very small installments, as this didn't encourage being grabbed by the plot, and did encourage being bounced out by the less than smooth prose and typos. The story itself was fine, but there were just too many clunky lines to feel it was adequately finished. Just a few examples that are fairly typical. The protag, Russ, has taken his nephew to a comic bookshop, and is describing what it's like, including two "teenage girls" swaying to the ...more
Bethany
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm gonna go with a 3.5 on this.

First off, I won this as a Goodreads first readers giveaway! (Woot Woot!!) I just to throw that out there. If I hadn't won this book, I definitely would have bought it anyway. Karen McQuestion delivered a compelling novel with a lot of promise.

Edgewood is the first in the series. Russ Becker, the 15yo narrator tells you the quests and phenomenons that happen in his life. Russ can't sleep. He's found only one solution to helping him get at least a little sleep, a
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
It is official Karen McQuestion has earned herself a spot in my Favorite Authors List. I always knew that Karen was quite talented, but had not read her books until recently. I dove into The Long Way Home shortly after it was released and I fell in love. Karen writes so beautifully; great characters, great setting, great dialogue...the whole package. So I was thinking, authors can't hit it out of of the park all the time can they?

Well yes. I then read Easily Amused and also really enjoyed that
Sherwood Smith
I'm sorry Salon, but my old self really enjoys YA, especially when it's as fun as this series.

Young teens become superheroes? I'm right on board, especially when I find the characters as interesting as first person narrator Russ Becker, who thinks he's an ordinary guy with aging parents, a wild and flaky older sister, and a rambunctious nephew. Scarred Nadia, whose parents keep her locked up tight. Beautiful Mallory Naseef, and problematical Jameson.

Russ walks through what he thinks is an odd me
C.
I am a senior citizen, but I really enjoyed this book which grabbed me from the get-go, and thoroughly kept my interest.

I especially liked that it didn't have all the violence that was in the Divergent series, which was an element that bothered me about a series involving teens, and why I refuse to read the Hunger Games series[adults forcing kids to fight to the death, no thanks!].

I am really emotionally invested in these kids and can't wait to read the next two books in the series~ Wanderlust
Sluserfive
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good game and fun fun game to and friends fun

Good game book to share with your family family friends family family fun family and fun friends and friends family friends and
Levi Herren
Jan 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I was looking for something light and fun to read and that’s exactly what I got with Edgewood. It follows the story of Russ Becker, a 15 year old that cures his insomnia with midnight strolls through his hometown. On one late night walk he stumbles across a strange astronomical event that seems to give him super powers! And he’s not the only one; other kids in his little town are affected. Mcquestion’s writing style is on the simple side which makes sense considering her intended audience. She d ...more
♡Meme♡Reads love♡
Pretty good, a lil on the cheesy side but I did enjoy this. I am very interested in reading more of this series.
Michele Wesley
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pure entertainment from start to finish. The characters grabbed me from the start especially Russ and Nadia. This was a wonderful start to a series that I will definitely read. As a matter of fact, I've already started on the second book. Excellent Read!
Lorna
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4·5/5 stars Buy a book and immediately read it? Not unheard of from me, but still pretty rare. I found this one, and was intrigued enough to read, AND not be able to put down this book almost immediately. It’s young adult, but that didn’t take anything away from my enjoyment of this read.

Russ is a fifteen year old that has a bad case of insomnia, so he has taken to the streets of his town(Edgewood)to walk late at night-unbeknownst to his parents. He’s gotten used to all the little quirks of the
BookLoversLife
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Russ has been suffering with insomnia for a while now and the only thing that seems to help is a late night walk. During one of these walks, he witnesses a strange phenomena, lights spiraling down from the sky. Initially he thinks, meteor shower but when he hears nothing about it the next day, he's a little confused. Why wouldn't anyone else have seen or heard it?? Next thing he knows, he's contacted by a girl in his school and what he finds out changes his life forever.

This is a solid start to
Candy
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The author sent me a copy of this book with a request for a review. I've been a fan of her work for a while now, first reading some women's fiction which was so amazingly well done that I still gush to folks about how good it was. Later on, she sent me a children's book and I was dubious that an author could pull off such a drastic change of genre, but she excelled.

When I got this book and realized it was not only young-adult, but a foray into a little bit of science fiction, I thought for sure
Teresa
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Edgewood has got to be one of the best books I have read this year! Karen McQuestion is so talented! She has developed characters that are so real to life, and the way they interact with one another is true to life as well.

I don't like to synopsize books in my reviews, so if you are looking for that, read the book description provided by the author. It's much better than anything I could write. I will just say that Edgewood is sort of a cross between sci-fi and paranormal and is extremely engros
Kitty Austin
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
TITLE: "Edgewood"
AUTHOR: Karen McQuestion
PUBLISHER: Self-Published
RATING: 5
AGE: 14+

REVIEW: I don't know exactly what it is, but lately I have really been getting into the fantasy, science fiction, young adult novels and finding them extremely entertaining. I would have to say that in comparison, "Edgewood" strikes me as a cross between " I Am Number Four" and "Hunger Games."

The main story focuses on "Russ Becker" as he suffers from bouts of insomnia that lead him on late night walks around his
Mimi Davis Hopkins
Thank you Ms. McQuestion for a Great Read

Great story, if I had ten hands I would give this story ten thumbs up. Great story line and characters the details are great, you would think that someone or a group were telling a true story of their experience. I started reading Friday evening and didn't want to put it down to go to bed. I finished the son Sunday about and am ready for book two.
Karen Edwards
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Edgewood is for all ages. I am 55 years old and can't put it down. Karen makes the characters really come to life. Also I love that not everything is as it seems. Always an unexpected turn of events. I especially enjoy science fiction that is rooted in reality. It could happen. I also enjoyed reading a current account of teenage life and it brought back happy memories of my son when he was that age. I also enjoy Karen's simple, direct writing style. Another great book!
Heather
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The first book in a series, Edgewood was well-written and really sucked me in. I had trouble putting it down, wanting to read “just one more chapter.” I’ve already bought the next book in the series and can’t wait to start it! I recommend Edgewood to teens and adults who like sci-fi (and, really, even those who don’t… sci-fi is not usually a genre I enjoy, but occasionally I do and this is definitely one of those times).
Liang
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is just TOO GOOD! I've been wanting to give it 5 stars since 1/4 of the way through already, cause I knew it would be amazing. But I withheld my rating, as I didn't wanna jinx myself. I was hoping it would stay just as good, and it just kept on getting better. So 2/3 of the way through, I hit the 5 stars button. The verdict was really that simple!

I love urban paranormal fantasy. Highschool kids with special abilities, hiding in secret, while being stalked by the government / secret soc
Lisa
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Edgewood is a book that takes you on an interesting adventure, with some added twists and turns. Four teenagers are brought together because they are night owls. One night everything changes, and could possibly change the course for the rest of their lives.....

I loved this group of teenagers. They are unique, abnormally brilliant, and they all have super-human powers or special gifts. Jameson was weird though, he sort of rubbed me the wrong the way. Nadia is very quiet and cute, but she has her
Tiffany Lovering
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Edgewood, the first book in the Edgewood Series by Karen McQuestion, features 15 year old Russ Becker who has a very hard time falling asleep. He often goes for a walk around town late at night and it's during one of those walks that he witnesses a series of fast moving lights in the sky that fall to the ground in a spiral of blue and gold embers.

Shortly after this phenomenon, Russ realizes that he has supernatural powers and discovers he's not the only one who's been affected by the lights. Na
Kimber Wheaton
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, ya
Let me start by saying I absolutely loved this novel! It's told in first person from the perspective of Russ Becker. How refreshing to have a male point of view and in first person no less.

This is the first book in a trilogy. Wanderlust, the second book is available now and the unnamed third coming soon. I don't want to reveal any of the plot, it's best to go into it with no more knowledge than the blurb above.

Russ Becker is very likeable, the reader immediately feels a connection with this te
Melissa
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer: I won this in the GoodReads First Readers giveaway!

Russ Becker is not your typical teenage boy -- and that's before he acquires superpowers after being exposed to a cosmic shower. It's easy to see that a woman wrote this, because Russ is a perfectly-behaved 15-year-old. This is not a slam, merely an amusing observation!

For a few months now, Russ has been plagued by insomnia; and the only way he can get any sleep is to wander the streets of Edgewood at night. He learns the habits of
Kachina
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was very compelling... I just wanted to keep reading to find out more. Because it is the first in a series, all of the strings weren't tied up at the end, and the teaser chapter of book two makes me want to read it when it comes out.
The narrator, Russ, is likeable, and his straight-forward approach keeps the story moving along nicely. For someone so smart he does seem a bit slow on the up-take on occasion, especially when it comes to personal relations, but that's probably true about
Jamie
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’m going to start off this review by letting you know I received my copy of Edgewood through a GoodReads First Reads giveaway.

I love the idea of teens with superpowers. (I want superpowers!). I like how they developed the powers due to an astronomical event, and I love how all their superpowers are connected to energy in some way. This fact lends some stability to how the event affected all of them, and why it can differ but still be similar. I also love Russ Becker’s voice. While there were t
Grumpus
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Full Disclosure: I won this book through the Goodreads Giveaways.

That said, this was obviously a book I wanted to read and it did not disappoint. The story was well thought out and always left me anxious to want to read on. There are plenty of reviews so I don’t feel the need to address that but since I won the book, I wanted to be certain to leave a comment.

I am excited to see that the story will continue in a sequel as the first chapter of the next book is included. A surprising twist to the n
Tracy
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book.It is a young adult urban fantasy, an is appropriate for all ages. The main characters are likable an fleshed out. There are 4 teenagers who see a meteor shower an get some supernatural abilities, telekinesis, mind control, the ability to sense who a person is (good or bad) an than are main character Russ can do many things. I loved the progression of the story an the characters were likable and grew as the story went along. This is the first in a series an doesn't end on a cli ...more
Nicole
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads contest. I was so excited, because it sounded like the book had a lot of promise. And now that I've read it...I can't wait for the second one!
First off, the writing was good, with some exciting plots twists, that left me with plenty of questions and a desire for more. And keeping your readers guessing is one of the most important aspects of writing. This author did well at that, with just enough info released at just the right time. But my favorite part
Megan
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Taking a late night walk, and ending up with super powers! I am such a sucker for characters with powers of any kind. This book had exactly that, and more than just one. I went into this book thinking there were aliens in the story, and was totally off. I was pleasantly surprised to find a story that I enjoyed way more! Two minutes into this audiobook I was hooked, and there wasn't a slow part to be found. I liked the characters, and hope to see more of the friends in the next book. I think it w ...more
Win 1 of 2 SIGNED copies of Edgewood! 1 3 Apr 12, 2014 09:21AM
Free Books, .99 &...: SIGNED copy of Edgewood by Karen McQuestion 1 11 Jan 11, 2013 11:03AM
Book Giveaways: SIGNED copy of Edgewood by Karen McQuestion 1 6 Jan 11, 2013 11:02AM
  • Transcender: First-Timer (Transcender, #1)
  • Cloak
  • Dissever (Unbinding Fate, #1)
  • Threads That Bind (Havoc Chronicles, #1)
  • The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles, #1)
  • Saving Mars (Saving Mars, #1)
  • Cassidy Jones and Vulcan's Gift (Cassidy Jones Adventures, #2)
  • Hyacinth (Svatura, #2)
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • The Doorknob Society (The Doorknob Society, #1)
  • The Nexus (The Nexus, #1)
  • The Annihilation of Foreverland (Foreverland, #1)
  • Amethyst  (Guardian, #1)
  • Assimilate
  • The Shadow of Black Wings (The Year of the Dragon, #1)
  • Winter's Awakening: The Metahumans Emerge (Winter's Saga, #1)
  • Dark Revelation
  • The Afterlife Series Box Set
Karen McQuestion is the bestselling author of books for all ages. Some of her titles include Hello Love, Life on Hold, The Long Way Home, and the Edgewood series. Her publishing story has been covered by the Wall Street Journal, Entertainment Weekly, and NPR. She has also appeared on ABC’s World News Now and America This Morning. McQuestion lives with family in Hartland, Wisconsin.

Her website:www.
More about Karen McQuestion

Edgewood (4 books)
  • Wanderlust (Edgewood, #2)
  • Absolution (Edgewood, #3)
  • Revelation (Edgewood #4)
“Standing under a spray of warm water is a quick but short-term fix to most of life’s problems.” 3 likes
“Don’t underestimate the Canadians, I always say. They seem all nice and polite and apologetic, but when it comes right down to it, they’re survivors.” 1 likes