Start by marking “A Most Scandalous Proposal” as Want to Read:
A Most Scandalous Proposal

A Most Scandalous Proposal

(A Most Series #1)

In Ashlyn Macnamara’s stunning romance debut—perfect for fans of Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, and Sabrina Jeffries—two childhood friends in Regency England discover love with the most unlikely of partners: each other.

After watching her beloved sister Sophia pine over the ton’s Golden Boy for years, Miss Julia St. Claire has foresworn love and put herself firmly on the shelf.
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published February 26th 2013 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about A Most Scandalous Proposal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Most Scandalous Proposal

Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
2 stars

***full review posted 2/11/13***

A Most Scandalous Proposal centers on two sisters: Julia and Sophia St. Clair. Younger sister Julia doesn’t want the heartache of a love match, which is exactly the type of wife the Earl of Clivesden desires. Sophia has been pining five long years for womanizing Clivesden. Her heart breaks to see him pursue Julia.

A compromising situation leads to Sophia’s engagement to the Earl of Highgate, an older noble surrounded by rumors. Julia’s childhood friend Ben
Caz
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it

This is a very promising début from Ashlyn Macnamara. The writing and pacing were both good and there were none of those credulity-stretching moments that seem to have marred so many of the newer historical romances I’ve read recently.

I was pleased to discover that this book features not just one, but two of my favourite tropes in romantic fiction – forced marriage and ‘friends-become-lovers’. I should say at this point though that the ‘blurb’ is rather misleading in that one could be
Aly is so frigging bored
ARC courtesy of Random House Publishing via Edelweiss
This review is for about 75% of the book(the first 16 chapters and the last one)

Main characters:
Julia and Benedict
Sophia and Highgate

My love of covers…

What I Liked: Well… nothing really, besides the cover. I read on and on in hopes of finding something that I liked, but I couldn’t. The story is about 2 sisters who eventually find their happiness. We have Sophia, who suffers from bad-love syndrome as she’s mooning after an idiot who doesn’
Becca
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Most Scandalous Proposal was my first time reading Ashlyn Macnamara. While I didn't love this debut novel, there were several elements that I appreciated and I will be trying more of her work in the future.

A Most Scandalous Proposal actually has two romantic pairings. The first is Julia and Benedict who have grown up as friends until Benedict's feelings went deeper while Julia remained blind to the attraction. The second is Sophia and the Earl of Highgate who are thrown together due to an unin
Kathie (katmom)
Spectacular debut novel from Ashlyn Macnamara. I stayed up until 2 a.m. reading this!

This was a lovely surprise as it was really two stories in one book. Generally speaking, we would have seen either Julia or Sophia's story, and then would have had to wait for the next book to find out the other's story.

Nope. Ms. Macnamara has intertwined the sisters' stories, first time I've seen one like this, and it was a JOY to read.

Julia, after watching Sophia pine for five long years over the newly named E
Lisa
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another debut for this year and it turned out to be rather promising. Miss Julia St. Claire has no desire to fall in love and marry, instead she leaves that to her sister Sophia who has pined over the Earl of Clivesden for years. Yet when Clivesden suddenly shows an interest in Julia, tension abounds and Julia keeps distancing herself from the drated man but he is always there. She turns to her childhood friend, Benedict Revelstoke for help getting out of her unwanted betrothal. Julia would rath ...more
Valerie Bowman
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fun. Fun. Fun. From start to finish. Witty and engaging. This really *is* Sense and Sensibility with sex. I look forward to Ms. Macnamara's next book!
Carina
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh my….seriously. A Most Scandalous Proposal definitely is one of the most promising debuts I’ve read in a long time. As a romance addict, I have certainly read a lot of those.
The story is about two sisters, who are united in their love for each other but couldn’t be more different in the way they pursue their dreams:
On the one hand there is Julia St. Claire who thinks that she can learn about the painful sides of love by watching others. I think that’s a mistake easily done. And then there is
Vidya Tiru
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book because I love historicals, and the description mentions it is perfect for fans of Julia Quinn and Eloisa James – two of my favorite historical authors.

There are two stories in this book – Julia and Benedict’s being the main one interspersed with the story of Sophia and Highgate. Julia is disillusioned by love and has decided she does not need it in a marriage. Sophia on the other hand, is infatuated, and waiting to marry the one she believes she loves.

When circumstances tu
Michelle [Helen Geek]
01/03/2012 DNF for me at 30%.

This was a buddy read with Anna and I left her high and dry. Why? This book so did not grab me. The author used about 50,000 words when a few would have sufficed to communicate a thought or a feeling. At one point I found myself thinking about Charlie Brown's teacher ... whaw whaw whaw.... Not good. So, not going to waste any more of my precious time and just call this stinker done.

I seriously tried on multiple occasions to engage with this book. Just did not happen.
Wendy LaCapra
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a tale of two sisters, Julia and Sophia, whose relationship is tested when an unscrupulous gentleman ruins Sophia's reputation by arranging she is caught with another while attempting to ensnare Julia with wagers and schemes. In the process of writing the wrongs that have been done, both sisters assumptions about men, love, sisterhood and friendship are challenged, leading to a satisfying end.
Nancy
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was a Goodreads First reads winner of this book it and it is a winner too. I love this time period and it was a really well told story with great characters. Very hard to believe this is a debut, it was that good.
There is a sample at the end of the book of "A Most Devilish Rogue" that Is bringing another story surrounding these characters (yes!). I looked it up its to be out on Aug. 27th, and what a cover! Looking forward to it and many more hopefully to come from this author.
Lisa
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love a great romance novel, you all know that, and A Most Scandalous Proposal was the best one I read in 2012. It's not quite perfect, but I enjoyed every moment of it, and found parts of it to be exactly what I love most about a romance novel.

Childhood friends?? Say no more, I'm there. (You would think I'm pining after some childhood friend of my own, wouldn't you? I'm so not.) I stumbled across this one last fall on Net Galley, and that phrase is enough to make me instantly request a book, s
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
A Most Scandalous Idea.

I really liked the sound of a friends-to-lovers romance story and was excited to start this book. It turns out that A MOST SCANDALOUS PROPOSAL is written a little differently from your standard historical romance, in that it features not one, but two couples; the main character, Julia, and her love interest, and also her sister, Sophia, whose romance takes up almost an equal amount of page time.

The thing is, I liked both sets of characters and both romances, though they
The Window Seat
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think that my choosing A Most Scandalous Proposal for review was kismet! I had reached a point in my reading where I needed something very different from Alpha-hole heroes, frustrating heroines and debut authors who seem to write using a checklist of Historical romance clichés. This story hit all of the right buttons for me, including one of my favorite plot devices, making it a very enjoyable read.

The St. Clair sisters are no strangers to a London season, having both been out for a few years
Jennifer McQuiston
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Most Enjoyable Read, and not at all scandalous!

Well... except in the best way possible.

Ashlyn Macnamara makes her debut with a lovely tale of two sisters. Told in four different points of view, and following the complete development of two different relationships, I was charmed by the different approach to this story. Usually, if a second relationship is introduced in a romance it gets second billing and scarcely a mention. These were two fully developed romantic arcs, two heroines you want to
Caryl Brown
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love a heroine who knows what she wants and goes after it. Ashlyn Macnamara is one of my favorite new authors.
[̲̅ρ̲̅υ̲̅и̲̅y̲̅α̲̅]
Lissete
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Some things are worth the pain. They’re most definitely worth the risk.”

We encounter this quote very early on; in fact, it’s in the excerpt at the beginning of the book. It should really make no difference because the first time I read it, it was out of context. It was just present as one of those ploys to get you to want to read the book.

Boy, did it work.

I have a thing for romance, but I’m usually a very picky reader. I find most romance novels to be somewhat corny, badly plotted and over too
Shauni
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ashlyn Macnamara makes her debut with this stunning novel. A Book about family, friends, love and despair. Another great find from netgalley!

The Sisters St Claire are picky to say the least. Sophia has been in "love" with one man for five long years, turning away prospective groom after prospective groom. Julia has refused any type of marriage proposal where there might be affection. Determined to not let herself fall into the trap of love.

While reading the famous betting book at White's Bene
Farrah
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This review also appears on my blog at http://www.thegoldenruleof666.blogspo...

So sweet and adorable! A Most Scandalous Proposal was a fantastic book, absolutely excellent.

I LOVE romances where the couple have been best friends for years and begin to realize that they are in love with each other. In any setting, YA or adult, I love that concept. It just seems so sweet to me. So, this book was already guaranteed to have a few points in its favor. And it went above and beyond that to become an ex
Pamala
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ashlyn Macnamara’s smart and sexy debut is a pleasure to read and should earn a place for her in the annals of talented historical romance authors.

Benedict Revelstoke is shocked, no alarmed to find his childhood friend, Miss Julia St. Clare, the object of a wager in the infamous betting book at White’s. As if the bet itself wasn’t outrageous enough, the wager’s been placed by the man who hopes to land Julia. The same man that Julia’s sister, Sophia, finds herself desperately in love with--Willi
Julie
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
A Most Scandalous Proposal is a 2013 release, published by Random House. This is a Regency period romance written by Ashylyn MacNamara.

Sophia St. Claire has pined for the newly named Earl of Clivesden for the past five years.
But, Clivesden has set his sights on Sophia's sister Julia.
Julia has no intention of getting married. She has seen the pain that an arranged marriage can bring, but the pain of a broken heart is Julia's worst fear.
Benedict Revelstoke and Julia had been friends since childhoo
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Julia St Claire has no desire for romantic entanglements. For the last five years, her sister Sophia has nursed a serious case of unrequited love for a gentleman of the ton. Watching Sophia pine away for nothing convinces Julia that a marriage of convenience is by far the best way to go. As long as Julia gets to choose the man she will have to tolerate for the remainder of her life.

Benedict Revelstroke is the second son of a Marquis with no title and very little income. Since he has no duty to p
Cpg
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Ashlyn Macnamara's debut novel. It had everything I like in a book: good dialogue, romance, scandal and historical accuracy! As someone who has studied history, I often find myself distracted when reading books that take liberties with history, but with this book, the author has obviously spent time researching the era she places her story in, giving it credibility. I can easily imagine this story taking place for real.

Ashlyn's characters drew me in from the start, and I co
N. Kuhn
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This was the epitomy of Historical Romance. The scandal, the love, bravery and bravado. There was no down point to this book. I enjoyed the whole thing. The slightest touch of intimacy heats this story up just right. I look forward to more from this author.

Julia and Sophia are sisters, whom continue to turn down proposals from potential suitors.

But, one scandal after another has the girls pinned to men they don't feel they can marry. Can Benedict and Highgate help these woman see they are a per
Janice Liedl
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
What a great read - Ashlyn Macnamara doesn't travel the well-trodden road but takes her romantic storylines on some wildly entertaining detours. Devoted sisters Julia and Sophia each have a story to tell and a life to get on with, after fruitless years on the marriage mart. Great romantic leads and a great story!
Marian Labruna
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! The dynamic between sisters and then couples was wonderful. I loved how each man brought out the true woman in both Julia and Sophia. The only thing I'd change is that I want more. More Rufus more Benedict and more Upperton. I didn't want to put it down.
Krissys
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: featured-books, star
Want a hot historical romance that will leave you close to drooling between the pages and fanning yourself from excitement! Ashlyn is great! I loved Benedict the stubborn best friend that you will die for.
Sometimes you don't realize when love is staring you in the face!
Ella Quinn
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Most Scandalous Proposal was not what I expected, it was better. Miss MacNamara has hit it out of the part with her debut novel. A stubborn, but loyal heroine, a passionate hero and a lecherous villain all come together to make a fast paced, spicy read with well developed characters and plot.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 08, 2015 11:10AM

• The Reluctant Countess
  • The Scandal Before Christmas (The Reckless Brides, #3.5)
  • One More Kiss (Pennistan, #5)
  • When She Was Wicked (Honeycote, #1)
  • The Temptation of Lady Serena (The Marriage Game, #3)
  • Geek Girls Don't Date Dukes (Geek Girls, #2)
  • The Perks of Being a Beauty (Ugly Ducklings, #3.5)
  • Bound by Wish and Mistletoe (Highland Legends #1.5)
  • The Border Laird's Bride (Borderland Brides #2)
  • Fire of the Dragon (Bestiary, #1)
  • If You Give a Rake a Ruby (Jewels of the Ton, #2)
  • Seven-Night Stand
  • The Importance of Being Wicked (Wicked Family Secrets, #3; Millworth Manor, #2)
  • To Sin with a Viking (Forbidden Vikings, #1)
  • A Wedding in Springtime (Marriage Mart, #1)
  • Winning a Bride (Bridal Favors, #2.5)
  • Surprising Lord Jack (Duchess of Love, #2)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (House of Brady, #3)
Ashlyn lives in the wilds of suburbia outside Montreal with her husband and two teenaged daughters. When not writing, she looks for other excuses to neglect the housework, among them knitting, reading and wasting time on the internet in the guise of doing research.

Visit http://ashlynmacnamara.net/book-table/ for more information.

A Most Series (2 books)
  • A Most Devilish Rogue
“Ah, sarcasm. The final refuge of the desperate.” 6 likes
“It's easy enough to smile at a man if you want to capture his attention, but once you realize he's not really looking at you, that perhaps he never really saw you, smiling becomes much more difficult” 4 likes