Start by marking “One Glass Is Never Enough” as Want to Read:
One Glass Is Never Enough

One Glass Is Never Enough

Three women, one bar, and three different reasons for buying it. Single mother Sarah needs a home for her children, Claire's an ambitious business woman. For wealthy Gaynor, Greens Wine Bar is another amusement, or is it?

On the surface, Gaynor has it all - money, looks, a beautiful home in the picturesque seaside town of Broadstairs, and Victor - her generous, successful
Published July 8th 2012 by Accent Press Ltd (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about One Glass Is Never Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Glass Is Never Enough

Start your review of One Glass Is Never Enough
Angel **Book Junkie**
May 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
I had to really sit down and take a deep breath before writing this review.
Maybe I needed a few drinks before reading this and I would have liked it more.
I honestly have to say that this book was seriously one of the worst books I have read in a very long time. I do not know where to start. First, the paragraphs had me so confused because one moment it would be talking about one character and the next here we were in conversation with two different characters.
This book is about three women who
Áine
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
I found the story and characters to be relatively interesting. Unfortunately, it was in DIRE need of editing. I'm not sure if the issue was a formatting failure as it appeared on my Kindle, or if the problem was inherent in the book, but at points it was nearly impossible to follow because the point of view changed nearly every other paragraph at times with no indication that suddenly you were reading about someone else, somewhere else, somewhen else. It was confusing and broke up the flow of ...more
Bookschatter
Oct 16, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Sorry, it is just one star as I found this book very difficult to read because of the sudden switches of scenery and characters which were not marked in any way (i.e. as you are reading about one character the following sentence would be about someone else in a completely different scene). The story itself was not bad. Incidentally, I read the Kindle edition.
Claire Sayan

I didn't really get this book. The editing wasn't great, misprints etc aplenty but the biggest issue for me was how the dialog switches all the time, I didn't know who was speaking a lot of the time, or where they were supposed to be.
It's not really my normal choice of genre but downloaded it to my kindle as it was free. I wouldn't be happy had I paid for this. It's about three women who buy a wine bar together. Claire runs the show basically, without her Greens would've gone bankrupt,
Nicole
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
I quite liked this book and am glad I stayed until the end. I came close to giving up a couple of times. Like a lot of others here, I found the plot shifts difficult to come to terms with, until I realised that there was a spare line between each. However, the formatting of the story, with its overly crowded pages and odd line breaks, meant that these extra lines were not always obvious. I dont know enough about e-publishing to be aware of whether this is a problem with the author or with the ...more
Bookread2day
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this book. Three women, one bar and three different reasons for buying it. Single mother Sarah needs a home for her children, Claire's an ambitious business woman. For wealthy Gaynor the wine bar is just one more amusement. Or Is it?
The three women had opened Greens wine bar with freshly stripped floor boards and newly painted. Claire and Sarah spent hours poring over recipe books. On their big opening night they were rushed of their feet meeting and greeting and getting drunk
Kathy S
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
A readable chick lit book about 3 girls running a bar. Not sure whether it was the digital copy or the actual book but it jumped around the place. Ie no lines between scene changes, confusing direct speech. Had to re read to see which character was doing the talking.
Predicted all the twists and a predictable ending. A harmless read. Did wonder about all the drinking by Gaynor. Seemed to be the answer to everything.
Cameron Yorke
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An unexpectedly good read!

Judging by the cover and title, u exoected this book to be completely light weight, vapid and with little substance - i was wrong! Although thoroughly entertaining throughout, it also has a serious side, addressing many life issues and not trying to pretend that everyones life is perfect!
Mary Geraghty
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pop the corks for this book

A clever story, who would have thought a wine bar/restaurant would be so interesting. Well it was, the characters came to life and the story blended beautifully. A really good read😊
Nina
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
When I started this book I wondered if I was going to finish it as I thought it was slow but I never like to give up on a book and I read it to the end. I did get better though U guessed most of the plot. A fair chick read though lacking in imagination.
norah thomson
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One glass is never enough by hand Denham-jones

I liked this book very much it has some twists,humour,romance,and it was fun really good light entertainment I think it will suit any age gap
Maisie
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The business of ownership of a bar brings three different women together. Set in a seaside town the story covers the trials and tribulations of their lives, work as well as those around them. A good companion to relax with. Enjoyable and amusing.
Mrs A. J. Turbfield
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Welk thought out tale of normality gone awry.

Nothing is as it seems which srems to be a pity but it all turns out right in the end. What more can you say.
Pam
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One glass

What a great book the story was good and intriguing so it kept you in the go to find the story out
Rosalind Burridge
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Good weekend break read.

A nice easy read. Pleasing story, but seem to end just as it got going. Need a follow up book.
Heidi
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fairly decent read

In parts great , in parts too complicated (I had no idea who Lizzie was when she appeared half way through) but the story ,ine is enjoyable to read.
Denise Warne
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Good book

I enjoyed this book and will look out for more books written by this author loving reading on my kindle so much easier than a paperback
Sarah Spelbring
Jul 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I have read Jane Wenham-Jones before I found this little chick-lit book for free on Amazon. However, they were her how-to-write non-fiction books. While they gave me an idea of her writing style, they gave me no indication on she does fiction writing.

I mentioned this was a chick-lit book, and it is, but it's a very modern one.

The majority of the book is set in a wine bar owned by three ladies: Sarah (the head cook), Claire (the one with all the business sense), and Gaynor(the one with style
Alison
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I've heard mention of Jane Wenham-Jones' name a lot recently - I know she does a lot of workshops and writing holidays etc. SO I thought it was time I read some of her work - and sadly I wasn't impressed. This book is about three very different women who buy into a bar. Each has their own reason for wanting to be involved with the business, but it seemed to me that one person got landed with all the work while the other two spent their time swanning round drinking the profits! Very annoying ... ...more
Alexa
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gentle-reads
I was on the verge of giving up on this book at about 10%. My mum, who recommended it to me, told me to wait till 25% to make my mind up, and I'm very glad I did.

There are a lot of characters at first but the important ones have taken centre stage by the end of the first quarter. I don't see why so many names were dropped in the opening chapter when some characters are mentioned only in passing after that but that could just be me.

I enjoyed Gaynor and Sarah's stories; Claire was a little
Louise Webb
I had read some reviews on this book before I started reading and noticed some other reviewers had commented on the editing. I didn't think it could be that bad but I was wrong! Unfortunately I found it difficult to read as I was getting very confused.

I did however enjoy the fact this book was set it in Broadstairs. Being from Kent and the fact Broadstairs is my favourite seaside town made the book more interesting to me and I found it easy to imagine all the places the author described.

I liked
Bekah
Jul 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this, and it was a cute story... however the author didn't seem to know where her focus was. Although there were vague snippets of Sarah's life, and even smaller snippets of Claire's life, the author seemed to favour Gaynor's story. This could have been written in a much more mature manner, focussing equally on all three and intertwining them cleverly. Potential stories were hinted at - Sarah's possible drug problem and Claire's issues with her father, however these were very hastily ...more
Jacqueline
This book was soooo slow to get going, far too much detail & background for me, especially as there was the sudden surprise part way through about "Gabrielle" which I had guessed from early on, perhaps that is a reflection on the company I keep rather than the book though. It was probabl;y too long a story to fit into a magazine story, but I felt there wasn't enough to warrant a novel of this length. It could have been about half the size & still told the story. Good tale though with an ...more
Samantha Tonge
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love JWJ's accessible style. A real page-turner. She addresses the characters' problems with warmth, insight and humour. Part of the plot was predictable but this didn't stop me racing towards the finish-line, to find out exactly how it would end. Plus i would have liked to know more about Claire, but again, this didn't detract from my enjoyment of the complete story. Sorry when i reached the last page and am holding out for a sequel!
Maureen Vincent-Northam
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Three quite different friends open a wine bar together so plenty of scope for delving into each of the characters lives. Claire is the business brains. Cook and single mother, Sarah, has a difficult ex and finds it increasingly hard to cope with life. Gaynor is the novels central player who, on the surface, appears to have a perfect life, but everything is about to turn on its head when her marriage is in question and she meets up with the cheerless Sam. ...more
Cheryll Merritt
Aug 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm having a hard time with all the British colloquialisms. I also find it difficult to believe that three women who don't know each other all that well would buy a business together. I will read another 50 pages and if I'm not hooked, I'm setting it aside.

Tried to read it, just couldn't wade through it - there was not enough to hold my interest
Gemma
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit slow going. A very easy on the brain book to read which is handy for dipping in and out of during night feeds with a baby. Its not the worst book I've ever read by a long way but it also is far from the best. I cant quite put my finger on what exactly I dislike. Major factor was it didn't grab me and make me not want to put it down.
Hoopz Chick x
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with other posts about the breaks between characters not being clear enough although I also have to say that this didn't make a huge difference to my reading experience! As a light beach read this was a good book! The surprise was rather entertaining! And I do love a happy ending from a light read! Will defo pass this onto my mum!!
Jan
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable enough read, liked the way each chapter was a bottle of wine. Guessed the cross dressing plot straight away, and ending typical predictable chick lit outcome. Ideal for holiday read by the pool
Biliwiz
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit confusing at times (ie who was speaking to who), a bit predictable at times, a bit poorly edited/proofread in places and a bit boring at times. I did, however, managed to stick with it until the end. Not sure if I should have bothered though.

• People We Love
  • Who Needs Men Anyway?
  • A Cornish Christmas Reunion
  • Clara Meets The Parents (Clara Andrews, #2)
  • A Fresh Start In Holly Blue Bay (A Holly Blue Bay Romance Book 1)
  • The Piano Man Project
  • Talk to Me
  • Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe (Comfort Food Cafe #1)
  • Meet Clara Andrews (Clara Andrews, #1)
  • A Cotswold Christmas
  • Lie to Me
  • Dazed and Divorced (Rom-Com on the Edge #1)
  • We'll Meet Again
  • What Happens in New York: Two friends. One life-changing vacation.
  • The Billionaire Bargain: Series Collection
  • The Darkest Lies (DI Hogarth Darkest Series, #1)
  • Death by Chocolate
  • The Forget-Me-Not Flower Shop
Jane Wenham-Jones is the author of six novels her latest is The Big Five O and three non-fiction books. Wannabe a Writer? is a humorous look at the trials and tribulations of becoming a scribe and Wannabe a Writer We've Heard Of? is a how-to on PR and self-promotion. 100 Ways to Fight the Flab (and still have wine and chocolate) is full of useful tips to combat Writer's Bottom - an occupational ...more