Start by marking “Treacherous Temptations” as Want to Read:
Treacherous Temptations

Treacherous Temptations

A reluctant heiress resigned to her fate...Mary Elizabeth Edwardes has one of the largest fortunes in England, but has no desire to leave her quiet country existence...and even less to acquire a husband she cannot choose for herself.

A dissolute nobleman bent on retribution...Trapped in a duplicitous existence since scandal destroyed his fortune and family name, Lord Hadle
Published January 21st 2013 by Entangled: Scandalous (first published January 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Treacherous Temptations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treacherous Temptations

Jill
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it

When Hadley’s father, the Earl of Blanchard died, he should have inherited the earl’s fortune and title. Ruined by the South Sea scandal, the late earl was used as a scapegoat, with Hadley consequently losing the right to his title, his lands sold. Over the next seven years, Hadley becomes involved in working for the Crown in exile. When an opportunity arises for him to return to England and perhaps reclaim his fortune he doesn’t hesitate. The loss of his heritage has seen him determin
Wendy
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mary Elizabeth Edwardes an heiress to a very large fortune must take on a husband. But unfortunately she must marry someone not of her choice. A young girl that adores the simple country life, she is resigned to her fate. Until the charming nobleman Lord Hadley crosses her path.

Lord Hadley Blanchard has lived a life of deceit. He lives the carefree life of a rogue, whilst serving the English Crown as a spy. His family name and fortune have been destroyed after a scandal and tragedy is exposed. H
Victoria Vane
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Now available from ENTANGLED Publishing
AUTHOR'S NOTE
TREACHEROUS TEMPTATIONS was very much inspired by the dark and romantic novels of the 18th century in which virtue vs. vice and plots to despoil virgins were very popular themes, books like Clarissa Harlowe by Samuel Richardson or Les Liaisons Dangereuses by LaClos. Similar to these classic tales, my story features an innocent country girl who, unlike the former heroines, is neither insipid nor naive, but still inadvertently becomes a pawn in
KatLynne
Treacherous Temptations opens with a prologue that had me intrigued and kept me quickly turning the pages for more. Victoria Vane has given us a truly bad boy, Sir Hadley Blanchard. From an early age his nights are spent delving into all levels of debauchery while his days are spent in fraudulent dealings steeped in dishonesty and treachery.

He’s come a long way from his early days of despair and idleness. Now, his main goal is exacting revenge on the man whose betrayal robbed him of his title a
Keri

Character Rating-5 Stars
Romance Rating-4 Stars
Heat Level-3 Stars
Overall Rating-4 Stars

I REALLY enjoyed this book. Victoria has a wonderful way of writing, the flow, the words and descriptions are all VERY appealing to me.

This story line has been done before, but Victoria added her own twist to it and I was pulled into the story from beginning to end. This is a story set around a virgin heiress, which included a very sensual seduction, be
Duchess Nicole
Mary is one of the richest women in England. Since neither of her parents are alive, her guardian is responsible for finding her a husband and has no qualms using her wealth as a way to buy his way into the good graces of men in high places. Mary's wants don't even factor in the equation. She is content living her simple country life but resigned to her fate of marriage to the highest bidder.

Lord Hadley Blanchard has been living a self imposed exile since the suicide and ruination of his father.
Lisa
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lord Hadley Blanchard should be an earl and have all the trappings and wealth that affords him but due to his fathers shocking death, he has been stripped of that right and it is his goal to get it back. He knows his father had nothing to do with the South Sea scandal that resulted in the loss of so much money and believes he was used a cover for the real villain behind the loss. Now, with years of spy work under his belt, he is finally ready to confront the man he knows is the real culprit and ...more
Wendy
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it

This enjoyable, well-written, wickedly sexy Georgian romance has a sweetly innocent heroine and a charming, dissolute rogue at its centre and - to add some extra intrigue - a malevolent, conniving stepmother.

Miss Mary Elizabeth Edwards finds herself an unwitting pawn in a dangerous game. She is a country girl, and though gently raised and very rich, she is no sophisticate and therefore ripe for manipulation. Lord Hadley Blanchard, the son of a disgraced earl, has been living a hand-to-mouth exis
Georgie-who-is-Sarah
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: tag-reviewed
Well-written story of a rake falling for innocent wisdom. The plot is clearly laid out, and there's a satisfying focus on H & H, bracketed by a suitably conniving Villain & Villainess. I liked the way Hadley is slowly captivated by Mary's straightforward reactions, in spite of his worse self.

“Nevertheless, you cannot convince me that the mere joining of two bodies is love.”
“No? Is not worship a display of adoration, Mary? Even the holy mother church would agree with that. And is not ado
Arlena
Author: Victoria Vane
Published By: Entangled Publishing
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 5

Review:

"Treacherous Temptations" by Victoria Vane was another one her wonderful historical erotic romances. I have read all of this author novels and again this was a home run....definitely this one was a hit out of the ball park. Ms. Vane is well known for her writing that only flows so smoothly with such description that willl appeal to all of her readers.

There were two main character
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Treacherous Temptations is Victoria Vane’s first full-length historical erotic romance. Having read and rhapsodised over her The Devil DeVere series, I couldn’t wait to read this 'Dangerous Liaisons' inspired book. Ms Vane never disappoints and this book was no exception. She weaves a sensual tale of scandal, treachery, intrigue, love and redemption.

Once again, I was swept back into the Georgian era with all its elegance, opulence and decadence which she captures so perfectly. Her writing is alw
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
This was my first Victoria Vane novel and though I didn't care for it as much as I would have liked I would still try another one of her books.

My whole problem with this book was the Hero and his vial ways. I know that it is all about him redeeming himself but sometimes the author can make a character to vial for the reader to want to believe in him.

Lord Hadley was seduced from a young age by his stepmother who was not much older than him. The thought of Hadley and Barbara together was just gro
My Book Addiction and More MBA
TREACHEROUS TEMPTATIONS by Victoria Vane is an exciting erotic Georgian historical romance. Another side to this author and another hit. Filled with treachery,danger,passion,betrayal,secrets,debauchery, lies,and love. Fast paced and a thrill ride you don't want to miss. Mary Elizabeth Edwardes,a heiress who has no desire to marry but her ruthless guardian has other ideas.Lord Hadley Blanchard,who has been spying for nearly a decade is looking for vengeance against his family. Follow Mary and Had ...more
Tash
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for Confessions From Romaholics

To see review at Confessions

Let me just say that Victoria Vane has done it again and provided us with another rogue who can equal the Devil. I can’t remember when I first started reading Vane’s books but I have become a fan and was excited to read her latest book, Treacherous Temptation. This book follows another wild rake who honestly takes the cake of all the characters that Vane has ever written because of his actions as a young man and his antics to ge
Farrah
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
This review also appears on my blog at http://www.thegoldenruleof666.blogspo...

I had high hopes for Treacherous Temptations. Unfortunately, this book didn't quite meet them.

Before I discuss what I didn't like about the book, let me first enumerate what I did like.
I really liked Mary's character. She was a very sensible character. Despite all the craziness going on around her, she stayed calm and steady. She was strong, clever, and an all-around likable heroine.

I liked the plot of the book. It w
Joy (Cheery♡Reads)
A very big thank you to Victoria Vane and Entangled Publishing for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

*SQUEALSSSSS!! Another Victoria Vane book......WEEE!!*

My Review:
As all of you know well by now, I am a big fan of Victoria Vane and her impressive Devil DeVere series. So, when I heard that Treacherous Temptations will be her first full-length novel, I was equally excited about it.

The atmosphere of Treacherous Temptations was more grim, darker and sober compar
Caitlin
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Caitlin by: Jill
Vane does it again with a great eye for weaving fiction with history with a light hand. While I prefer the characters of her other novels (Lyddie & Vesta--headstrong women), I enjoyed this story more because the plot and storyline were allowed to simmer rather than boil quickly.

Thanks for the great recommendations of Vane's novels, Jill!
Marlene
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

Treason, rebellion, espionage, government-backed Ponzi schemes. Dead scapegoats. Live corrupt officials. Incest.

Some of it even happened.

Victoria Vane is an expert at weaving the soiled threads of actual Georgian-era events into a tapestry that proves yet again that foul deeds can wear a fair face. Behind the glittering masks of the aristocracy lurked the corruption that the later Victorian era's compulsive prudishness was a reaction against.

The Georgian er
Sophia
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
As I settled into this book properly and got the feel of the writing and the plot, I was delighted to discover that I had landed into a story that rivaled some of the truly dark Gothic classical tales of old where evil plotted against the virgin heroine, where schemes for power and wealth were de rigeur, where the hero was a man in need of redemption and where a madcap and slightly over the top plot is acceptable. The only variance was the setting. Instead of a dark moldering castle, our heroine ...more
Christine Seybolt
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’m in a Georgian state of mind and it is a thank you to Georgian romance author Victoria Vane. She is setting the bar and tempting readers at every turn in her latest Entangled Publishing sizzling erotic release TREACHEROUS TEMPTATIONS

Raise your glass readers to a phenomenal new name in the world of Georgian historical romance,. Ms. Victoria Vane has jumped into readers hearts with her very own splend-tastic spin of the classic 1987 movie DANGEROUS LIAISON. Button down the hatches, because Vane
Ivyd
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
TREACHEROUS TEMPTATIONS is the dark tale of an innocent surrounded by guile and complete disregard for her personal wellbeing by those expected to safeguard her. Her "protectors" are concerned only with their personal gain regardless of the price Mary will pay.
Mary Elizabeth Edwardes is on the wealthiest heiresses in England. When Sir Richard Fiske becomes her guardian her peaceful rural existence comes to an end. Mary becomes an unwilling pawn in Sir Richard's plans to advance his own fortunes.
Cocktails and Books
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Victoria Vane has penned a very unique and interesting historical erotic romance novel. She adeptly combines elements of incest, BDSM, gay/lesbian sex, and vanilla sex to produce a scintillating read. I was a little timid about reading this novel, but I just couldn't resist the urge to see how the author was going to turn an affair between a stepmother and stepson into a romance. Once I began reading the novel I became hooked and I could not go to sleep without finding out how it ended which is ...more
Daisy Sloan

Victoria Vane writes some of the most intriguing stories! Mary Edwardes has been living in the country, enjoying her life. Her guardian, Sir Richard, informs her it’s time for her to marry and must come to London to find a husband. Little does she know, her guardian plans to use her to further his own interests. He doesn’t care anything about her happiness, only his own.

Hadley has been out of England for the last seven years. Living a life he didn’t really want. When he returns to England he f
Romancing the Book
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica, historical
I have been a fan of Ms. Vane’s ever since she contacted me and asked me if I’d like to read A Wild Night’s Bride. Her books are well researched and full of rich history of a time I wish I’d been born into.

Treacherous Temptations was no different.

Hadley is a despicable scoundrel and has wasted the majority of his life drinking and sleeping with as many women as possible, including his stepmother. Despite his penchant for debauchery, I actually really liked Hadley from the beginning and felt that
Dianne
Lord Hadley Blanchard is the son of an Earl who has died while under the shadow of a scandal that rocked his world and left him without his entitlements. While living the life of a footloose rogue, he is secretly a spy for the crown. Now Hadley is out for vengeance against the man responsible.

Mary Elizabeth Edwardes an heiress to a very large fortune who must take a husband, whether she wants him or not. Innocent and naive, Mary is forced by Sir Richard, the guardian her father appointed, to lea
Tin
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
To read the complete review, visit: Love Saves the World

Disclosure: I received a copy for review as part of the book tour. (Thank you to Entangled Publishing for the opportunity.) Yes, this is an honest review.

Added to the romance between Hadley and Mary, the author also portrays vividly the political machination and maneuverings during this period. The tone of Treacherous Temptations is very different from Vane's very popular Devil DeVere series -- while the DeVere series is light and fun, Trea
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"
I'm truly debating my rating on this one. The author shapes Hadley's (H) character in the same mold of Valmont (more Firth than Malkovich IMHO) with the requisite evil OW (Barbara - stepmother) who preys on Hadley and so begins his downward spiral into a life of debauchery, guilt and self-hatred. Enter Mary (h) - the awkward, unfashionable and innocent heiress who is the target of Barbara's, and thus Hadley's, machinations.

I liked the story overall (I'm a fan of all things Les Liaisons Dangereus
Christy English
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Victoria Vane has hit the ball out of the park for me. Her latest Georgian gem, TREACHEROUS TEMPTATIONS lays her usual beautiful historical detail over a wonderful story which brings the reader inexorably back into the past. Traveling from Venice to London to the English countryside, the reader embarks on an adventure of lust, true love, and redemption. The evils of the world are overcome, after more than one arduous leap of faith from both young lovers. As Molly fights to keep her l ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
Jan 30, 2013 marked it as did-not-finish
Just not for me -- I'm not in the mood to see a "hero" have explicit sex with someone other than the heroine, no matter that he and the heroine have just met. Not my thing.

The writing is good though, and the plot seems interesting, but with the mood I'm in at the moment, I don't think I could be objective enough to rate this as it deserves.

Perhaps I'll revisit it in the future.

DNF, 20% in.

• The Reluctant Countess
  • Into the Light (Sutton Family, #2)
  • To Trust a Thief
  • Fortune's Son
  • Medair (Medair, #1-2)
  • Taming Her Forbidden Earl (Lady Lancaster Garden Society, #1)
  • Sins of a Ruthless Rogue (Sinners Trio, #2)
  • Lord of Secrets
  • Baring It All
  • The Assassins' Lover (Tale of the Demon World, #7)
  • Once Upon A Wallflower
  • A Little Bit Wicked (Forbidden Love, #1)
  • Checkmate, My Lord (Nexus, #2)
  • The Baron's Betrothal: An On-Again, Off-Again, On-Again Regency Romance (Horsemen of the Apocalypse #2)
  • Malice Striker (Viking Vengeance, #1)
  • Highlander's Hope  (Castle Brides #2)
  • Simply Scandalous (House of Pleasure, #9)
  • Highland Quest (The Fraser Brothers Trilogy #2)
ABOUT VICTORIA VANE

Victoria Vane is a bestselling award-winning author of smart and sexy romance. Her books have received many accolades to include the 2016 Red Carpet Award for Jewel of the East, 2014 RONE Award for Treacherous Temptations as well as Library Journal Best E-Book romance of 2012 for The Devil DeVere series. Victoria also writes romantic historical fiction as Emery Lee. Look for her
“(Hadley and Mary in the Garden at Blanchard House)
He laughed, a harsh sound, all sign of humor leaving his eyes. “Don’t let any of it fool you, my dear, for even the most tarnished silver can acquire a fine and gleaming polish. And believe me, there is far more tarnish here than an innocent and unschooled eye such as yours can discern.”
“Why would you speak so of yourself?” Mary protested.
He reached for a red-gold curl that had escaped her lace cap and coiled it around his !nger. “I would forewarn you, Miss Edwardes that I am a man, and men in general are not to be trusted…” He held her gaze as he slowly released the ringlet, allowing his fingers to skim her cheek. “…especially not by pretty young virgins.”
1 likes
“(Hadley and Mary in the carriage)
“Might I repeat how utterly charming you look?”
“You are very kind,” she replied, down casting her eyes as a flash of heat invaded her cheeks. “But even if I were dressed in the finest of gowns, I could never be a lady of fashion.”
“Never let that disturb you, my pet.” He fingered a mass of curls that had settled over her shoulder just above the expanse of her modestly covered bosom. “I find fashion and beauty are rarely synonymous.”
When he caressed a stray lock between thumb and fore!nger and raised it to his lips, Mary felt the dizzying sensation from the roots of her hair to the tips of her toes.”
1 likes