Start by marking “Resurrecting Lazarus, Texas” as Want to Read:
Resurrecting Lazarus, Texas

Resurrecting Lazarus, Texas

When an upstart coach takes over a high school girls basketball program in Lazarus, Texas, he learns quickly that neither wins nor respect will come easily in this West Texas town where football is king. The powers-that-be do not take kindly to the natural order of things being upset, particularly from a newcomer and his ragamuffin team. Halfway through the tumultuous bask ...more
Published July 27th 2012 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Resurrecting Lazarus, Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resurrecting Lazarus, Texas

Start your review of Resurrecting Lazarus, Texas
Patricia Bergman
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I won this book through the Goodreads giveaway.

I absolutely love this book! It has been difficult to put it down to eat and sleep over the past couple of days. It has been years since a book has captured my attention like this one. My emotions have ranged between cheering, crying, and getting really ticked off. I believe that parents, students, teachers, and sports fans will appreciate "Resurrecting Lazarus, Texas" as much as I have.

Mr. Barber, you definitely have a winner here!
Matt Shelton
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Most of my friends that I told I was going to read this book responded with something like this, "But it's about girls basketball." I guess most people don't expect to see a football coach like myself picking up a book that centers around a girls basketball program. Those same friends are shocked when I tell them how good this book is! Barber takes the reader on a journey into small town West Texas and introduces all that this region is famous for. The center of the universe in Lazarus is its be ...more
Shannon
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Emily Dickinson writes, "There is no frigate like a book/ To take us lands away." This book took me squarely back into my first year of teaching. It is rare that a book about teaching delves so deeply into the heart that a [good] teacher has for his or her students, and even rarer is the book that so captures the combined idealism and struggle of a first year teacher.

This book is first and foremost about its characters; each character (including the town itself) is fully dynamic. (Even the villi
Shawn Liner
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've never really been a coach, but I've taught for 16 years. I used to watch teacher movies to get me fired up for a new year, like "Mr Holland's Opus", and "Dead Poet's Society". This book is better than those. If you teach or coach, read this book. It will remind you why you teach/coach. If you don't teach or coach, read this book! It goes a long way toward showing the uninitiated what our world is like. How emotional it can be. How it can wear you out and invigorate you at the same time. It ...more
Julia
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story about a girls basketball team in West Texas. It is impossible not to become invested in the characters as you root for the underdogs in this heartwarming story. In a genre saturated with dystopian societies and paranormal beings, Resurrecting Lazarus, Texas is a breath of fresh air. A great book for young adults and sports fans - a great addition to any middle school-high school library.
Kayla Henry
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this through Goodreads First Reads. Resurrecting Lazarus, Texas is a gem of a book that I'm so glad I read. I'm not one to read books about sports, but this was much more than that. I loved pretty much every character; which is not something that usually happens. I was also excited every time I picked it up because I was so invested in the plot. Anyone who coaches, plays sports, or just wants to read a great underdog story would enjoy this novel!
Nancy Reynolds
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
@_nathanbarber Absolutely loved it! Felt very connected to the small town and it's people. I cried about Autumn and felt victorious when their score card improved. There were twists and turns to keep me immersed and unable to put it down too long. The ending was unexpected but still spokes volumes about the journey! A++ on uplifting, motivational, encouraging yet realistic! A must read! #summerreading2015
Roberta
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am looking forward to reading this latest book by Auther Nathan Barber. I am sure it will be as exciting as his other books have been. I know I will not want to put it down until I finish every page.
Ranelle
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This review is long overdue. I actually finished within days of starting it... And that's saying a lot. I read plenty and quickly during the summer months, but on e the school year begins, I have to find moments to steal to read books. But no problem finding those moments to finish this one!!
Sam Sattler
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Simply put, if you are like most of us, reading Resurrecting Lazarus, Texas will make you feel good.

Coming-of-age novels, I suspect, have universal appeal because they remind us of our own struggles to reach adulthood in one piece. We cannot help but see a bit of ourselves in well-crafted fictional characters trying to survive the emotions and temptations of adolescence long enough to successfully move on to the rest of our lives. We tend to root for those going through what we ourselves have a
Brittney Ford
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend Resurrecting Lazarus, Texas to educators, coaches, athletes or fans. This is a great, easy to read book about an enthusiastic coach leading a team of underdogs. Throughout the novel, you get to know the players and the key people in their lives. I thought the author did a fantastic job of developing the characters, especially since there were so many. At various points in the book, I think we can all identify with this team and these characters during their victories and strug ...more
Shannon
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love sports movies. I love the underdog comes from behind to make good theme. But this was the firsts sports book I have ever read. I don't know if I would read another one though. I am not a sports fan and found that because I don't know the rules or plays of basketball the game play passages were confusing. I am certain basketball fans would not feel this way.

The story line was not linear instead it traveled between time and characters. I think this was to build suspense, but instead I felt
Stacie
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved everything about this book. The author did a great job creating a picture of small town atmosphere and all it offers. All you Lazbuddie folks should grab a copy and enjoy it, anyone else who just loves sports or who may desire to know more about small town life should pick it up and enjoy it too. Quick and easy read. (We are currently looking forward to helping create a book trailer for this book too, how exciting!)
Le
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iam not a sports fan But Nathan Barber,was one of the best books I,have read. It puts you right there.

Please put it in your to read books. Please,as it is on the top of my list. I really hope Nathan has more coming out so we all can read.
Thank you.
Nathan Barber.

Great Book.

Le Truesdale
Jon
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I knew what was going to happen at the end, but it didn't make any difference. "Sometimes the journey IS just about the journey."
Debra
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the first book I have ever read that I thought would have been better as a movie, had a hard time making myself finish it. Good story, just strangly written, but I thought it dragged bad.
Elizabeth
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A delightful story about a small-town girls basketball team. I enjoyed this heartwarming book and would recommend it to anyone looking for an inspirational story, not just those who enjoy sports.
Sally
Mar 03, 2013
Christine Metoyer
Jan 11, 2018
Joni Simpson-Gomez
rated it did not like it
Jul 31, 2014

• I Am, I Am, I Am: Seventeen Brushes with Death
  • The Summer House
  • Nineteen Minutes
  • The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions
  • Without Remorse (John Clark, #1; Jack Ryan Universe Publication Order #6)
  • Year of Wonders
  • Milkweed
  • In His Image: 10 Ways God Calls Us to Reflect His Character
  • Fifty Words for Rain
  • Blind Your Ponies
A twenty-year educator, Nathan Barber has served in a number of roles including teacher, coach and administrator. As a writer, Barber has produced several classroom guides for teachers and much online content for test-prep companies. Barber also has written and published thirteen books, mostly in the field of education. His most recent project, an innovative new book for teachers from Routledge/Ey ...more