Start by marking “Denver” as Want to Read:
Denver

Denver

By the 1920s, Denver had outgrown its frontier-town beginnings. But for some, life was still as perilous as the surrounding terrain. The insidious influence of the Ku Klux Klan was reaching its peak, and those who stood in its path feared for their safety. Denver is the saga of a family caught in this tempestuous time.

To newspaperman Tom Hastings, his writing matters more
Published May 1982 by Popular Library (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Denver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Denver

Start your review of Denver
JoAnne Pulcino
DENVER

John Dunning

GOLDEN OLDIE

This marvelous fictionalized history of Denver in the 1920’s was published in 1980. Despite that, it certainly does not detract from the historic value or the novels impact.
This is a magnificent saga about a town that has out grown its frontier beginnings, and of a family caught in the still perilous times now due to the Ku Klux Klan at its most menacing.
Tom Hastings is a newspaper man surrounded by a multitude of character
Harriett Milnes
Denver's mayor in the 1920s was a Ku Klux Klan member. Mayor Stapleton didn't try to hide this fact. Now, in Denver, there is a great neighborhood called Stapleton. The majority of the people who live in Stapleton would like to change the name of the neighborhood. So far they have a majority, but not enough of a majority to do that. I thought this historical novel would shed more light on the original Stapleton.
John Dunning wrote 5 mystery novels in the 2000s that were very enjoyable. Then some
Nancy
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Takes place in Denver Colorado in the 1920's and is a mix of historical fiction and fact, with some made up characters and some historical figures. This was an engrossing story once I got into it. I made the mistake of starting out just reading a little bit at a time, but there are too many characters to keep track of to do that. Read it in big blocks of time if you can and then it is really well written.
Tom Hastings is the main character, a newspaperman, husband, son, and father, with a d
Jane
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story incorporating real Denver history and people with fictional characters and stories. Really good mix. The time frame is after WWI and before the Depression. The KKK was grabbing power and using intimidation to clean out the "riff-raff". Most politicians were under the KKK thumb and newspapers were afraid to deal with them for fear of losing their advertising. Many people took a long time to realize that they had no one to turn to for protection the KKK was so powerful. Main character ...more
Mikaela
I can't give this book a rating as I did not finish it. This book was very intriguing and I would have liked to have found out what happened with all the characters, but the content was too violent at times and so I couldn't keep reading it. But I enjoyed the writing. If anyone reads it, please let me know what happens!
April Hochstrasser
One of the best 10 books I've ever read. Historically accurate and surprising. I did not know anything about the Ku Klux Klan west of the Mississippi. This book opened my eyes.
Nina
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ONE OF THE MOST HAUNTING BOOK I HAVE READ
Fred
Jan 04, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
1982 *******
Kristin
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is incredible. Didn't realize the influence the KKK had in Denver. Being from Denver, it was great to follow along with the locations.

A great read!
Mar 28, 2018
Adell
Mar 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
John Dunning was born in 1942 in Brooklyn, NY. He was raised in Charleston, SC, is married, and has two adult children.

John always wanted to write, but was a poor student. He left high school in the tenth grade, partly because of an inability to concentrate and absorb lectures. Several years ago he was diagnosed with attention deficit disorder (ADD), a malady that could not have been i