Start by marking “Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play (A Jazz Age Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play (A Jazz Age Mystery #1)

Read Excerpt

Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play (A Jazz Age Mystery #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Set during Prohibition in 1920s Galveston, FLAPPERS features Jasmine Cross, an ambitious young society reporter, who feels caught between two clashing cultures: the seedy speakeasy underworld and the snooty social circles she covers in the Galveston Gazette. After a big-shot banker with a hidden past collapses at the Oasis—a speakeasy secretly owned by her black-sheep half ...more
ebook, 1st Edition, 295 pages
Published July 1st 2012

To ask other readers questions about Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play

The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsGone Girl by Gillian FlynnThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddWater for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Best Beach Reads 2013
2,334 books — 4,354 voters
One for the Money by Janet EvanovichDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieHard Eight by Janet EvanovichThe Quiche of Death by M.C. BeatonDiners, Dives & Dead Ends by Terri L. Austin
Cozy Crimes
450 books — 242 voters

More lists with this book...

bella
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In Galveston, Texas, lives a young reporter, Jasmine “Jazz” Cross. Jazz’s life is caught between the underworld of Galveston and the socialites of the upper classes. Her worlds collide when she decides to investigate a murder–not only to help Sammy, her half brother, but to prove herself as a journalist.

Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play reads just like a 1920s murder mystery with bar fights, gangsters and lots of mayhem and mystery. I’m fascinated by historical cozy mysteries, and I admit to having
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Now and then, I like a cozy mystery: no gore, a bit of drama, a big personality in our heroine, and a plot that doesn't require much but is still fun. Collier's new series, set in 1927 Galveston, Texas, hit the spot for me, and is a fluffy, entertaining bit of summertime escapism.

Jazz Cross, 21-years old, a flapper, and society reporter for the Galveston Gazette, has aspirations of being a 'real' reporter. Her male colleagues think she's just a pretty face, good only for making coffee and report
Brenda Ayala
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, signed
This was such a fun read!

Normally I'm a bit skeptical of the first person point of view, because it's been used so much. Especially in YA. But this uses first person, and I absolutely loved it, and I can't imagine now that it would have been as entertaining of a read without it. The slang and the dialogue between the characters was so entertaining and I loved that I felt like I had just dived right into an old movie. I could easily picture the settings and the people. Phrases like "and how!" and
Kimmie
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
Flappers, Flasks, and Foul Play was such a fun read. Filled with murder and mystery, I had hard time setting this book down!

I adored all the different characters in this book. I thought Jazz was a great main character, she was really easy to relate to and she also had a wonderful personality. Another character I liked a whole lot was Nathan. I thought he was sweet and charming, and was just a really good friend to Jazz.

One of my favorite things about this book was the setting. I loved that it wa
Donna
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Jazz Cross,an aspiring reporter in Prohibition-era Galveston,refuses to stay within the limits of the society beat. Her spunky curiosity and loyalty to her friends lead her into dangerous involvement with bootleggers and the criminal gangs on the island. Good thing that handsome Treasury agent is keeping his eye on her! This lighthearted mystery, based on the true history of the period, is the perfect read to take with you to Galveston. You'll be longing for a jazz orchestra and a tango compact ...more
Bill
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ellen Collier's novel is set in one of my favorite locations, Galveston, Texas, during an era when the town was one of the wildest on the Texas Gulf Coast. Spunky society reporter Jasmine (Jazz) Cross gets involved with murder right off the bat, and her breezy voice carries the narrative along at a bright clip. Great period setting and atmosphere. Check it out.
Regina
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read! I loved the rich historical detail and the "who dunnit" vibe so characteristic of film noir. Review on the blog soon.
Gary
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
TAMMY CUEVAS
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Welcome to Galveston! It's 1927 and the Jazz Age is going strong. The joints are jumpin', the booze is flowin', and Prohibition hasn't slowed it down. If anything, it's made things livelier. The two rival gangs, the Beach Gang and the Downtown Gang, control the alcohol distribution and the speakeasies. Jasmine, a society reporter with dreams of being the next Nelly Bly, is enjoying a night out at her half-brother Sammy's speakeasy, the Oasis, when she witnesses a man's death. The new Prohibition ...more
Summer Lane
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jasmine longs to be taken seriously as a journalist. With her connections to the underworld of speakeasies and rum-runners during the Prohibition, she certainly has the sources to come up with some sensational stories. But when she accidentally stumbles upon a web of mystery, murder and deceit, things take a turn for the adventurous. With the help of her friend Nathan and the handsome Prohibition Agent Mr. Burton, Jasmine may just get to the bottom of the mystery and land her first big scoop.

El
Paula Ratcliffe
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amy Metz
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clever, authentic, and such a good read! It's hard to write in a time period other than your own, but Ms. Collier does it effortlessly. The dialogue was authentic and the author's attention to detail was so perfect I felt like I'd stepped into the 1920s. The Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play characters and setting are genuine and intertwined so well into the story, the movie in my head was vivid and real. I loved main character Jazz--a strong, independent woman with a lot of moxy, but all of the ch ...more
Christoph Fischer
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play (A Jazz Age Mystery #1)” by Ellen Mansoor Collier “ is an elegant and hugely entertaining mystery novel set in Prohibition times and the Jazz Age of Southern Texan Galveston of 1920s.
With great style and a fantastic sense of authenticity this book pulls out all fun registers of those days.
Young newspaper employee Jasmine, Jazz, Cross, has big plans. Drawn into a murder investigation and trapped between legal and illegal alliances she is a great protagonist for th
Kristine Morseman
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love book clubs and contests because you get to explore new authors and genres. While I always thought fondly of the Roaring 20's I was excited to get into this mystery to explore their world a little more. Collier brings the reader into the world of gangsters and speak easys through the eyes of Jazz, a sassy young dame who works for the daily paper as a society reporter but ends up much more of a crime reporter as batches of rotgut alcohol make their way into clubs putting anyone and everyone ...more
Melissa
First I would like to say thank you as I won this book through goodreads giveaways.

Flappers Flasks and Foul Play was such a great book, Ellen Collier did an awesome job with this book. This is one of those books that would make a good movie. If you enjoy reading stuff from back in the prohibition era with mystery, murder and gangs mixed in than this is the book for you, you will not be disappointed I had a very hard time putting this book down.
Rachel Cotterill
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful mystery set in Prohibition era Texas. Heroine Jazz is a young and ambitious journalist who finds she needs to apply her skills of observation to a rather different sort of problem when her brother gets mixed up in a murder investigation.
Noreen Marcus
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you like murder mysteries and the flapper era, give this a try. It's fun and suspenceful and moves along at a good clip. Ellen Collier has created a reporter heroine, Jasmine, a proto-feminist who is highly relatable. Her cliff-hanger style keeps you moving. Hard to put down.
George Ashmore
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery / history buffs
Recommended to George by: I won iy & liked it
Truly interesting & diverting. Sort of a Southern Noir mystery--not the usual thing but quite good. Interesting characters that are brought to life for your enjoyment. A Good Read!
Michelle
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reminiscent of the old time movies. I enjoyed the history of a local place near me as well as the wonderful tale of a young female reporter innocently making her name and the slang of the time period. Felt as if I was right there with her every step of the way. Can't wait to get the next book by E. Collier, Bathing Beauties, Booze And Bullets
June
Oct 19, 2012 rated it liked it
FLAPPERS, FLASKS AND FOUL PLAY
by Ellen Mansoor Collier
Genre: Historical Mystery
Kindle Edition, pages

About the book:
Jasmine "Jazz" Cross is determined to make her mark on the newspaper business. But in order to do that, she needs to move up from typing the society columns to writing the front page news. But that won't be easy to achieve for a gal in 1927 Galveston, Texas.

Prohibition is in full swing and Galveston is the home of speakeasies, bootleggers and gangsters. Secret codes and passwords ar
Rhonda
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it

4 STARS

It took me a few chapters to like some of the characters, but by the end of the book I really did like them. It was during prohibition and the times were wild. I learned some new things and was shocked by some events are government did.

Jasmine Cross is 21 year old society reporter who goes hangs out it a speakeasy. She is familiar with most of the workers there.
She wants to be a real reporter but no one takes her seriously. She is around a few crime scenes first so she starts to dig i
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, cozies
The roaring 20's in Galveston Texas...who knew that there were gangs in the town controlling the liquor despite prohibition? Jazz (Jasmine) is a society reporter trying to get in on the big news action but it is hard to do as a woman. Nathan is the hotshot photographer and Jazz's pal. Then there is Burton, the hunky Federal Agent trying to shut down the illegal liquor that is killing people.

The story has several murders that tie in quite a few characters but it is easy to keep them straight. The
Emily
3.5

I really enjoy this book. I loved the writing, the setting, and the glossary of 1920's slang in the back. It was so atmospheric and I felt like the story was more historically accurate then some of the books set in this time.

It would've gotten a higher score, but I don't think murder mysteries are for me. Most books have a kind of mystery in it, but I don't feel for the victim during mysteries and so I don't really get caught up in the story or want to know who the killer is.

The mystery was
Betty
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of cozy mystery
An enjoyable cozy mystery set during the Prohibition Era. I really liked the main character Jazz - a feisty young woman for the time period.

I might have liked this book more if I hadn't recently watched an Australian TV mystery series set during this same time period on Netflix; it had me constantly making comparisons.

I did feel that the author tried a little too hard to incorporate 1920's era lingo into her dialogue, but I thought the story and the characters more than compensated for it.
Ellen Collier
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This marks the 5th year since FLAPPERS was published! I appreciate all the positive comments over the years and have recently released a new revised version that's a bit tighter and shorter. Many thanks for your reviews and feedback!
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
I thought this book was just ok. It kinda felt like someone gave the author a list of "terms from the 1920s" and asked her to make sentences out of them, then combine those sentences into a story. Just not my cup of tea.
Jessica Skinner
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I might have given this book a higher rating if I hadn't recently read a couple of outstanding books. It was good. The main character was a little naive but that may have been intentional due to the prohibition period setting.
Ann Tran
This was the second book I read for my English Project, a cool story about a Flapper involving a murder plot.
Rachael Bennett
Mar 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Trapping The Butterfly (Book One in the Butterflies Fly Free Series)
  • Silent Murders (Roaring Twenties Mystery, #2)
  • Dying to Know (Gumshoe Ghost mystery, #1)
  • The Replacement Son
  • Motive Games
  • The Year After
  • A Golden Cage (Newport Gilded Age #2)
  • The Corpse with the Golden Nose (Cait Morgan #2)
  • Board Stiff (An Elliott Lisbon Mystery, #1)
  • A Different Sun
  • David's Inferno: My Journey through the Dark Wood of Depression
  • A Daughter's Doubt (Mary MacDougall Mysteries, #3)
  • Guarding the Ghost
  • The General and Monaville, Texas
  • Hit or Missus (Peri Minneopa Mystery, #2)
  • The Third Peril
  • The Gin Lovers
  • Last Diner Standing (Rose Strickland Mystery, #2)
Ellen Mansoor Collier is a Houston-based freelance writer and editor whose articles, essays and short stories have been published in a variety of national magazines. She's interviewed Suze Orman and Nancy Brinker and several unsung heroines for BIOGRAPHY and FAMILY CIRCLE magazines. In the 1990s, she reviewed mysteries for The Houston Chronicle, which was like a crash course in writing novels.

A f
More about Ellen Mansoor Collier

A Jazz Age Mystery (4 books)
  • Bathing Beauties, Booze And Bullets (A Jazz Age Mystery #2)
  • Gold Diggers, Gamblers and Guns (A Jazz Age Mystery #3)
  • Vamps, Villains and Vaudeville (A Jazz Age Mystery #4)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • The Secret Mother