Start by marking “Salingkit: a 1986 Diary” as Want to Read:
Salingkit: a 1986 Diary

Salingkit: a 1986 Diary

Kitty Eugenio's life is far from ideal. She has to live with her relatives. Her mother has gone abroad. Her best friends sometimes act weird, and sometimes keep secrets from her. Her classmates persist in pairing her with a boy she doesn't like, but who might be able to help in the search for her father. The love of her life doesn't know she exists. And it's not just any o ...more
Published July 2012 by Anvil Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Salingkit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salingkit

Start your review of Salingkit: a 1986 Diary
K.D. Absolutely
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to K.D. by: Maria Ella
This book's best part? It's the 16-page Introduction where Abad-Jugo summarized the event that led to the 1986 People Power Revolution. Short and sweet. Succinct, no frills but well-documented, i.e., with references. Good job, Abad-Jugo. My heart felt a tinge of pain when I was reading that part when Ninoy died. To think that according to this interview by Philippine Daily Inquirer she said that she struggled writing this portion because when she was still in school, History was her Waterloo. Th ...more
Neil (or bleed)
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I received an e-book from Arvyn and Anvil Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Thank you so much!

Salingkit is a fine coming-of-age YA novel. It is actually a 1986 diary of Kitty or, Goro, to her friends, and her story during the year of People Power.

I like Salingkit for it has a good storyline. Despite the fact that it reads like a typical YA novel, I can't deny that this book sparks interest and affects me somehow on emotion department.

To be honest, I can't really formulate the right wo
Chris
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 50books2012
I stumbled across this book completely by chance! After school, I often pass by Powerbooks and browse through their Filipiniana collection (which I believe is the best out of all the bookstores in the area). In the middle of the collection was a table full of copies of Salingkit. I read the blurb and flipped through some pages; I felt the urge to get a copy, in the hope of something wonderful (as well as to find a possible new novel for the Freshmen!).

Having grown up in the post-EDSA years, I on
Xi Zuq
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The novel presents real issues of a young adult, such as transitioning from high school to college, getting involved in romantic relationships, maintaining friendships and breaking family rules.

The socio-political events in 1986 were seamlessly placed in the novel. The author made sure that the novel is not about Martial Law or People Power but a story of a high school girl living during 1986.

The use of a diary is an excellent piece for a young adult novel. It makes the story relatable and appea
Anna
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Useful, personal and granular take on living during martial law and the EDSA Revolution as a teenager.
Monique
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it

Originally published as part of a Shorts post HERE.

Personally, it was a toss between this book and Woman In A Frame - I appreciated both novels because (1) they were both set in important eras in Philippine history, albeit hundreds of years apart, and it is no secret how big a fan I am of historical fiction, and (2) they were both, in my humble opinion, very well-written. I guess, what set Woman In A Frame apart from its co-nominees was the fact that it tackled more relevant themes and motifs th
Danger
Mar 04, 2018
Christopher Kayden
Mar 17, 2013
Pmochua
rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2014
Ethel
Aug 20, 2012
Samantha
Aug 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Liryo
  • O. C. W. : A Young Boy's Search For His Mother
  • Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer (Theodore Boone, #1)
  • Dear Dylan
  • Why We Broke Up
  • Wakasang Wasak
  • How to Bake a Perfect Life
  • Escobar: The Inside Story Of Pablo Escobar, The World's Most Powerful Criminal
  • The Milk Lady of Bangalore: An Unexpected Adventure
  • Samantalang Sakop at Iniibig: Panibagong Tulambuhay
  • Lila Ang Kulay ng Pamamaalam (Imus Novel 3)
  • The Valkyries
  • Forget Me Not (Mary-Kate and Ashley Sweet 16, #17)
  • Mary-Kate and Ashley Starring in Our Lips Are Sealed
  • The Last Time I Saw Mother
  • Are We There Yet?
  • Anatomy of a Song: The Oral History of 45 Iconic Hits That Changed Rock, R&B and Pop
  • Stainless Longganisa