Start by marking “A Man and His God” as Want to Read:
A Man and His God

A Man and His God (The Sacred Band of Stepsons Expanded "Author's Cut" editions #2)

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
An immortalized cavalry commander joins forces with the high-priest of the god of war.... Where myth meets legend, two men kiss and Tempus' world changes forever. Meet and mourn the Slaughter Priest in "A Man and His God." In this canonical short novel, the Sacred Band begins when Abarsis, Slaughter Priest, brings his Sacred Band to Tempus and dies in his arms.

In this pivo
Published July 18th 2012 by Perseid Publishing (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about A Man and His God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Man and His God

Hunter Jones
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic
A Man and His God (Sacred Band of Stepsons: Sacred Band Tales Book 1) by Janet Morris introduces a new world to me. This new world disguised as a novella, is the legacy of Tempus the Black. It is a deep and richly textured read. This is a modern story of loyalty, friendship and death, cleverly hidden in the world of the Ancients. This is fiction in the Homeric tradition of The Classics.

The story gives us the history behind Tempus, who forms the Sacred Band of Stepsons in Sanctuary. It is based u
Joe Bonadonna
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just as Tempus (a/k/a the Riddler, the Black, the Sleepless One) and his Stepsons were and are, in my humble opinion, the most memorable of all the characters in the old Thieves’ World shared-universe of sword & sorcery, A Man and His God, by Janet Morris, remains the stand-out story of the series, and a most pivotal one at that, for where it lead and what it later became. In this revised and expanded version of this classic tale, Janet Morris has not only improved on what she had initially ...more
Uvi Poznansky
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Man and His God is a novella based on Plato's Sacred Squadron, which consisted of pairs of male lovers that formed the elite force of the Theban army in the 4th century BC. It is more than a sword-and-sorcery tale. Before us is a story where mythology is reinvented in the most delicious, vivid detail, in a fantasy world that is larger than life, and perhaps more true to our dreams and our yearning for a heroic journey. In this world, reality is but a distant, pale shadow of what is possible, ...more
Grant Leishman
I had read one previous book by Janet Morris, which I enjoyed immensely, so was looking forward to A Man and his God. I was not disappointed. Although this book is quite short, it is the first in a series dealing with the Sacred Band of Stepsons.

We are introduced to this strange and marvellous world Morris has created and we meet the main protagonists who will continue on in the series as part of this Band of Brothers who will fight for Tempus.

As always Morris' writing is rich and redolent. He
Martha Sockel
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A Man and his God is the canonical story that introduces the Sacred Band of Stepsons to the annals of dark and heroic fantasy. Tempus the Black, favourite of the storm god, meets the high priest of the god of war.

A battle follows, and the kiss of death changes Tempus' world forever. First published in the best-selling sword and sorcery series Thieves World, and then in a series of novels that were Baen hardcovers, Ace mass market paperbacks, and Science Fiction Book Club selections, A Man and h
Colin
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A gritty tale of fantasy set in the Thieves' World of Sanctuary . . .

I fell in love with the Thieves' World stories when I was a kid in the 80s, great fantasy and swords-and-sorcery stuff . . . Tempus, a seemingly immortal warrior under the curse and blessing of his god, was one of the most fascinating and memorable stories. I found some of the Sacred Band stories and loved them . . . lost the physical copies in the early 90s, think . . . glad to discover I can read them on Kindle!
Elisha
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing

“A Man and his God by” by Janet Morris will appeal to many different types of people for different reasons. Fans of the series will rejoice and those new to the series will marvel at the quality of writing that is a gift from Janet Morris to the reader.

“A Man and his God” first appeared in the Thieves World universe but we are introduced to something new, a magical cast and a hero, “Tempus,” a mercenary who struggles with possible immortality and is tragically cursed.

“A Man And His God” was t
Brian Bigelow
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This mythological tale isn't something I would normally go for but it was recommended to me so I decided to try it out. It was definitely a different read for me. It's very well written and I think for someone into the sacred band series it's a must read.
Sarah Hulcy
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A.L. Butcher
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mythic
Review to follow
Lucas Mota
Eu ainda não tenho um bom domínio do inglês. Me forço a ler títulos assim para praticar e ir acostumando com a literatura neste idioma.
Este conto foi bastante sofrido pra mim. São muitos termos desconhecidos e distantes do meu vocabulário instrumental.
Não entendi ao certo a trama e perdi boa parte das descrições.

A leitura valeu como exercício. Voltarei a ela no futuro, quando meu inglês estiver melhor. No momento, não posso nem ao menos dar uma nota.
David Caldwell
Oct 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
A little history of this story for those that may not know it. A fairly long time ago, there was a literary experiment. It was to be a shared fantasy world, called Sanctuary, with many various authors writing short stories in it. They would share characters and develop the story from what others had written. Some authors came up with favorite characters and would return to them and even have spinoff stories and novels about them. One such favorite was the character of Tempus developed by Janet M ...more
S.R. Mallery
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
***** Eloquent, Rich Writing

“Where Tempus goes, the storm god scatters his blessing.”

And thus begins this saga of a rigid, overly confident man who, having known no ill fortune his entire life, has begun to question and reject the very god who has forever shielded him. Going in, I have to admit this ancient time frame is not my usual era of interest; however, because I was immediately struck by the author’s eloquent, authentic prose coupled with the book’s richness, I was drawn in. It takes plac
Fantasy Literature
May 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
In A Man and His God, by Janet E. Morris, Tempus brings his Sacred Band of Stepsons to Sanctuary, a city in the midst of preparations for war. Tempus is a tough man to kill, one who has watched severed limbs return as his god, Vaschanka, heals him. Though their relationship is not always so smooth that he can afford to take Vashanka’s intervention for granted, Tempus is one soldier that Prince Kadakithis cannot afford to offend as they prepare to improve Sanctuary’s defenses.

For some fantasy rea
Cherime MacFarlane
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you didn't know better, you might think you were reading a tale from an old scroll or clay tablet. An epic story filled with those things that have endured through the centuries, battle, love and the lust of gods for mankind's essence. A starting point for the tale to unroll, a beginning that points to an end.
Wayne
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tempus

It's been a while since I read this story, and I'd forgotten the impact that it has. Janet Morris is a powerful writer, and this story shows her style beautifully.

It hits you like a sledgehammer. Or a short sword being swung by Tempus.

Read it. It's incredible.
Sahara Foley
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a tragic love story. Worth reading.
Fiona Murphy
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Short stories are rarely this satisfying, highly recommend
David Freemen
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting

Good start to the trilogy. Short read but very entertaining. Looking forward to the rest of her books in the series.
C.P. Mandara
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow!
Anthony Hulse
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not my ususal genre, but I'm happy I read this. Superb!
Jennifer Loiske
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! Different and very cleverly written! Highly recommended!
Jana Petken
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As always, highly entertained and engrossed in this story and the way in which it was written.
AudioBookReviewer
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My original A Man & His God audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

A short novella focusing on Tempus (sometimes referred to as “Death”) and Abrasis (Slaughter from the North) both are mercenaries of the god of war; they are faced with decisions that make them tragic, heroic and complex.  The most moving scene of the book comes when Tempus comforts Abrasis as he dies in his arms; Tempus seals Abrasis’ death with a tender kiss.

The scene of Tempus comforting Abrasi
Jodi
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
After reading the other reviews i now understand why the book was not as detailed, and the characters not as developed as i may of liked. It is an interesting prequel, sequel collaboration. As a stand alone story i was a little confused but i do want to know more, it is a lot shorter than i originally anticipated but that did not matter. The book did what it was meant to do it made me want to read more Janet Morris books, more of the serious as a whole and more of the Thieves World Series (creat ...more
William O'Brien
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Man and His God (Sacred Band of Stepsons: Sacred Band Tales Book 1)
Janet Morris

A magnificent story in the Sacred Band tales of the highest quality that only Morris can produce.

As with all the other works, this combines ancient history, mythology, war and deep friendships.
Really looking forward to the next installment in this series.

A magnificent 5***** read
Jan 13, 2015
Inge-Lise Goss
May 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Janet Ellen Morris (born May 25, 1946) is a United States author. She began writing in 1976 and has since published more than 20 novels, many co-authored with David Drake or her husband Chris Morris. She has contributed short fiction to the shared universe fantasy series Thieves World, and edited the Bangsian fantasy series Heroes in Hell. Most of her work has been in the fantasy and science ficti ...more
More about Janet E. Morris...

The Sacred Band of Stepsons Expanded "Author's Cut" editions (9 books)
  • Tempus (Thieves' World)
  • Wake of the Riddler
  • Wizard Weather
  • City At The Edge Of Time (Beyond Sanctuary)
  • Tempus Unbound Author's Cut (Sacred Band series Book 6)
  • Storm Seed
  • The Sacred Band
  • The Fish the Fighters and the Song-Girl

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)