Start by marking “The First Patient” as Want to Read:
The First Patient

The First Patient

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  3,671 Ratings  ·  456 Reviews
From the blockbuster, New York Times bestselling author comes a high-concept, high-octane thriller at the crossroads of presidential politics and cutting-edge medicine. . . .

Hardcover, First Edition, 371 pages
Published February 19th 1998 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The First Patient, please sign up.

Kathy Gronau Absolutely fascinating. The story line teeters between absolutely believable and a bit way out there but I loved it. Made me think! One of those I…moreAbsolutely fascinating. The story line teeters between absolutely believable and a bit way out there but I loved it. Made me think! One of those I found my self thinking about when I wasn't reading. The first book I have read by this author and I definitely will seek out more. Nothing that as a Conservative Christian I found offensive. (less)

Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
I've been flying so much lately that I've had an unusually large amount of time to read. But, traveling a lot also means less time to stay organized and plan my reading list. This combination of factors has resulted in me desperately picking up a lot of books not normally found on my shelf because I unexpectedly finished, forgot or lost my "intentional" book. In this case, I'm certainly not complaining. The First Patient was totally captivating. Now, it was also poorly edited (the same bits of e ...more
I read one of Palmer's previous medical thrillers, The Fifth Vial, and really enjoyed it. This one, not so much.

The plotline was very intriguing, and I did want to know what the motive was, but I found it hard to care about the characters, or even worry about the outcome. Also, every once in a while the book spouted something about how the President was so important, he had so much to contribute. That did make me gag quite a bit. (Maybe I'm a little jaded.)

However the nanotechnology story and th
Sheila Myers
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
A very exciting thriller. Michael Palmer did an excellent job of creating a unique plot that keeps up a fast pace throughout the book. There are many suspects, but the final reveal is something I didn't see coming and made the book even more enjoyable.
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Summary: Gabe Singleton and Andrew Stoddard were roommates at the Naval Academy in Annapolis years ago. Today, Gabe is a country doctor and his friend Andrew has gone from war hero to governor to President of the United States. One day, while the United States is embroiled in a bitter presidential election campaign, Marine One lands on Gabe's Wyoming ranch, and President Stoddard delivers a disturbing revelation and a startling request.

His personal physician has suddenly and mysteriously disappe
Phyllis Sommers
Dec 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I've always enjoyed Michael Palmer novels, which are usually medical thrillers. This novel definitely has a medical bent, as, right off the bat, we meet Dr. Gabe Singleton, a doctor in a small Wyoming ranch town. As we meet Gabe, however, we also meet U.S. President, Andrew Stoddard, Gabe's college roommate and lifetime friend. Drew has traveled to Wyoming to lure Gabe to return with him to Washington, D.C. and to ask him to take the post of personal physician to the President. The previous phys ...more
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I picked up the book because of its premise. What would happen if the President of the United States was going insane (some would argue this has happened to more than one President already, but we won’t get into that here)? Who would decide and could they hide it from the public? Well, Dr. Gabe Singleton is called by his old college roommate and asked to serve as the President’s personal doctor. Once in DC Gabe is confronted by the startling possibility that the President is not going mad, but b ...more
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it
The idea of a Wyoming rancher/doctor being asked to become the personal doctor of his friend who happens to be the President of the United States was a great hook. Was the President going mad? Was he being drugged? A few attempted murders...a little bit of torture, and some strong sleuthing and a lot of who-to-trusts. Throw in a little prospective romance and you have The First Patient. As improbable as this whole scenario goes, this political-medical thriller had its interesting parts. Not part ...more
Mary Ann
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
One part I guessed early on, but there were so many other twists it was a pure example of 'a bline squirrel finding a nut.' More and more authors are including nanotechnology in their books!
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The president and Gabe were roommates back at the Naval Academy years ago. He shows up at Gabe's ranch in Wyoming to ask him if he will serve as his physician since his physician is missing along with his daughter. As Gabe becomes acquainted with the Washington scene he begins to discover some items that are deeply concerning to him and to the security of the nation. Will Gabe be able to keep himself safe so that he can secure the safety of the president?

This story was outstanding with more twis
Glenda L
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A country doctor and friend is tasked to be the new physician for the President of the United States. who appears to very, very sick ... maybe insane. What follows is a ride to terror ... each page brings a new problem. I really like this book ... exciting read. I would recommend it to all who like thrillers.
Harry Roger Williams III
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Michael Palmer was coming to Quincy to speak at the Thomas Crane Public Library, so I read this in preparation. His talk was wonderful, and this was my first but not my last Michael Palmer novel. In fact I purchased a copy of his newest novel, Political Suicide, that evening and he was kind enough to sign it "To Harry The Librarian - my favorite kind of book-keeper." I actually haven't read that one yet. He told us it was part of his first attempt, after more than a dozen stand-alone novels, to ...more
Aug 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
In Michael Palmer's the First Patient, another excellent medical thriller with political thriller elements, this would take you to the edge of the seat. Andrew Stoddard and Gabe Singleton were room mates at the Naval Academy years ago. From war heroes, they became a county doctor and the governor to the president of the United States. During a political campaign, it was when Andrew's plane landed on Gabe's Wyoming home and had asked for Gabe's help, as he told him a shocking revelation--his own ...more
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
I read The Fifth Vial and loved it so picked this one up when it came in at the library. Oh so different....only in books can 2 people fall in love with one look while being chased by the bad guys and ...well I won't spoil the story but all I can say is as much as I loved a previous title (and others) by this author, I would not recommend this one.
Suzze Tiernan
May 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, a co-worker had hyped this book up to me so much that it could never have lived up to it. I liked it, but didn't love it. It was my first Michael palmer, and I do think I will try another one.
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced and easy to read. Some minor plot points were tidied up a bit too neatly, but overall I really enjoyed it.
Michael Palmer heeft in navolging van Robin Cook de pen ter hand genomen en met succes enkele medische thrillers geschreven. De lijfarts is het vijfde boek dat in vertaling uitkomt. De Engelse titel is grappiger: The First Patient, verwijzend naar bijvoorbeeld 'The First Lady' voor de echtgenote van de president. De hoofdpersoon van het verhaal is echter Gabe Singleton, huisarts. Niet zo maar een huisarts. Een huisarts die afscheid heeft genomen van alle drukte en machinaties van een grote prakt ...more
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I ran hot and cold with The First Patient. The plot was intriguing, what to do if POTUS is losing his mind? President Stoddard enlists his old friend, Wyoming doctor Gabe Singleton, to become his personal physician after the mysterious disappearance of the current White House medico. From the moment Gabe arrives in Washington DC we are treated to medical espionage, pot shots at red lights, exploding hobos, pedophilia, and a love story between Gabe and a Secret Service nurse. This was fun at time ...more
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another excellent book by Michael Palmer - combines modern science with sci-fi and makes it believable- and honestly, in a few years it might be - this book was written in 1998 so it was probably more far-fetched 19 years ago. Any science discoveries, in the wrong hands can be dangerous. Also had another plot that happened 30 years before the story started but added credence to the story. LOTS of twists at the end and spoiler alert - the good guys win. I like Palmer b/c he frequently adds medica ...more
Sue-Lynn Voigt
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a good book, but not a great book. Most likely because it was written in 2007 and nanotechnology was newer. So that aspect of the book is not much a shocker. However, did like the whole discussion of the 25th Amendment was interesting. I was aware of the confusion when Reagan was shot and was not aware of Clinton's knee surgery plan. The whole he is the best President ever, Blah, Blah got really repetitive. Still a good read.
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of The Best of Reads!!!!

Well plotted read. Very interesting, fast paced read. Thorough knowledge of White House protocol & nano particles scientific studies. Of course not having checked the facts quoted in the novel, it does all seem feasible, but then again, it's a fiction novel. Very well produced.
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great medical thriller! This is the first book I've read by this author. The plot kept me involved and I was surprised at the end. I also liked the characters although a good doctor becoming a good detective, hero, was a bit farfetched. I still enjoyed tit. I don't need everything in a book to be authentic. After all, reading fiction is escape!
Michelle Connell
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Michael Palmer book and I am now a new fan, looking forward to reading his other titles. In this one, someone is after the president of the U.S. and are slowly poisoning him. But who and why? The pres hires a new physician, a friend he can trust after his first MD disappears. But can his friend help him and keep him alive?
Joan Ehrnstein
Not one of his best. I was ready to set it aside but decided to get to the halfway point to see if it picked up. It got far more interesting at the mid point but I don't recommend it and I'm a diehard Palmer fan
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This fast-paced read is perfect for a vacation or even for pretending you're on vacation. Yes, it's predictable; yes, the twists are somewhat formulaic. Yet, I learned some scientific info, and that's a plus!
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: donated, adult
I enjoyed this one most of the way until the very end when they tried to make a love connection at the end. Didn't need it - the book was good enough without it and it was sort of random. Palmer sure does remind me of reading Robin Cook novels. If you like one, you might like the other.
Holly Gravel
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
B President’s dr disappears so he has old friend take over. He is having episodes of great illness. New dr’s life is in danger. It’s why the other dr went into hiding. His billionaire father is responsible ( I think).
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good mystery with lots of twists/turns that made this an interesting read you couldn't predict. First Michael Palmer book I have read and I found it fast paced, detail oriented, and enough twists and turns to keep you wanting to come back to finish it.
Barbara Bertino
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
interesting story. Rather predictable. But fun read
Joelene Swearingen
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a light, entertaining thriller that I read under the sprinkler all summer. I would definitely recommend it for a beach read but don't expect too much depth.
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Should be read on a beach under an umbrella. Very predictable and not terribly interesting.
  • Intervention (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #9)
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • Blood Lies
  • The Lazarus Strain (Dr Steven Dunbar, #6)
  • Flawless (Nathaniel McCormick #2)
  • Flashback
  • Final Epidemic (Beck Casey #1)
  • Deadly Errors
  • The Betrayal Game (Mikhal Lammeck, #2)
Michael Palmer, M.D., 1942-2013, was the author of Political Suicide, Oath of Office, A Heartbeat Away, The Last Surgeon, The Second Opinion, The First Patient, The Fifth Vial, The Society, Fatal, The Patient, Miracle Cure, Critical Judgment, Silent Treatment, Natural Causes, Extreme Measures, Flashback, Side Effects, and The Sisterhood. His books have been translated into thirty-five languages.

More about Michael Palmer...

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
  • Before I Go to Sleep
    $8.24 $2.99
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
“Já vím, kamaráde. Snažím se tohle všechno nezapomínat, ale je to stejně snadné jako sprchovat slona ve vaně."
"Hezká představa, ale já mám spíš dojem, že sprchujeme hejno opic.”