Start by marking “Clovenhoof (Clovenhoof #1)” as Want to Read:
Clovenhoof (Clovenhoof #1)

Clovenhoof

(Clovenhoof #1)

Published July 28th 2012 by Pigeon Park Press (first published July 26th 2012)

Start your review of Clovenhoof (Clovenhoof #1)
Kath Middleton
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The idea for this novel is excellent. Satan, through ineptitude, is thrown out of hell by a kind of celestial board of managers. He’s condemned to act as a human, having had a glamour thrown over him so people don’t notice the horns and hooves. It doesn’t work with the local barman, though. The flat-dwellers he lives alongside are all social misfits of one kind and another and ‘not a people person’ doesn’t begin to describe Satan himself, aka Jeremy Clovenhoof. His interpersonal skills are non-e ...more
Tracy Fenton
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Firstly this book should come with a warning not to read in public because snorting aloud is apparently unladylike. I read a lot of books and tend to favour dark psychological thrillers featuring murderers and serial killers and never have I actually "rooted" for the bad guy...until I met Jeremy! This deliciously funny book about the devil being kicked out of hell and sent to Birmingham is full of laughs and wonderful characters... it did slightly drag in the middle but quickly picked up it's pa ...more
Anne
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Is there anything better than the dryness of British humor? I doubt it. This book's humor was Sahara-desert dry. And I loved it. I literally laughed out loud in public, and people thought I was crazy, I'm sure, but I didn't even care. It's that funny.

Jeremy Clovenhoof (a.k.a. Satan, a.k.a. The Great Dragon, a.k.a. Lucifer, a.k.a. ad nauseum) goes through numerous misadventures after he's laid off from his position as Lord of Hell and banished to a flat in Birmingham. At first, this book reads li
Luka Novak
Jan 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, humour
The idea of Devil being forced to live on earth and deal with modern life is an intriguing one. It has been done before in one form or another (not necessary dealing with devil) so it's not completly original.

But somehow it just doesn't work. Whole book feels like an early rough draft for TV series with each chapter being separate episode. Chapters themselves are largely self contained and what happens in one has little to no impact on next one. There are some running themes, like his frequent e
John Bowen
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You know you're in for a treat when just the chapter titles of a book are laugh out loud funny...

What an absolutely terrific book; beginning as what feels like a smart, satirical and funny series of misadventures it develops into a fantastically plotted page turner. All those disparate misadventures actually reveal themselves to be carefully constructed threads that pay off in an utterly brilliant climax.

Never thought I'd find myself saying this but, Go Satan!

- John Bowen is the author of 'Where
Sharon Kennedy
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I loved this book!! Satan has failed his performance review, and so gets made redundant, and has to live as a human down on earth under the name of Jeremy Clovenhoof. He chose the name Jeremy as Nicholas was a bit too obvious. Michael is pottering about to help pull him out of awkward situations...or is he?!?
There was lots of humour in this book, and made me laugh out loud on several occasions, especially when he got involved with his neighbour's miniature soldiers. And when Joan of Arc and thre
Michael
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
For mismanagement of Hell, Satan gets kicked out of the Afterlife by a group of Heaven's do-gooders led by the angel Michael (also including St. Peter and Joan of Arc) and ends up banished to Earth, namely to a quaint suburb in England. Taking the name Jeremy Clovenhoof he then tries to learn what it means to be human while bugging the you-know-what out of his flatmates Ben & Nerys.

I wasn't even through the first chapter before echoes of Pratchett/Gaiman's Good Omens popped to mind. While Goody
Ian
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The 'Review and Judgement' has arrived - will it be Heaven or Hell?

So, after a poor performance management appraisal report Lucifer is ousted from Hell by the powers that be, charged with gross incompetence, slack efficiency and poor leadership qualities. For these misdemeanours, he is banished from the 'Afterworld' forever, to reside on Earth and to live life in human form with the rest of the mere mortal population in regular old downtown Birmingham, England.

Boom!- twirl, spin, spin, twirl...
J.D.
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Summary:

What happens when Satan is pushed out of Hell to live among humans on earth?
Jeremy Clovenhoof, A.K.A. the devil, is about to find out. Facing common problem for the first time, Jeremy keeps finding himself in less than ideal outcomes. He soon discovers that being a normal person is much more complicated than he imagined.

Personal Opinion:

This book had a really cool concept and the potential for some pretty good adult humor.
However… It took me a while to get used to the writing style an
Cst
Jul 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: divine-fantasy
I read this book on a long train journey and maybe that was a mistake, because I have the distinct impression, it was neither written nor meant to be read in one piece. The storytelling feels episodic and it feels like there is no overarching plot that binds the book together. There were several points where I felt the story just stalled, almost always followed by interesting ideas that ultimately went nowhere. As a direct result cohesion and continuity are a mess. Small items, events and behavi ...more
Susana
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jeremy Clovenhoof has got a problem. He’s been fired from his job, the one and only job he’s ever had, and the only thing he knows how to do properly. Besides, he’s been evicted from his house and obliged to move into an unknown city. Though this wouldn’t be a desirable situation for anyone, it is a real tragedy for our main character, because Jeremy Clovenhoof is only one of his many pseudonyms, others being Old Nick, the Adversary, Old Scratch, The Angel of Bottomless Pit, The Fallen One… Yes, ...more
Jeanne Johnston
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This may be my favorite book from the last 5 years. Just hysterical, and really well written.

Poor Satan has screwed up his production quotas and is relegated to a flat in England, to live as a mortal. The outcome is delicious. He's the kind of neighbor I would love to have (except for the part where he steals your credit card or leaves skulls in your dishwasher). He's incorrigible. He's funny. He's strangely innocent.

Heaven is pretty much what you'd expect, in comparison, and that's where the
Josa Young
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Due to a corporate restructuring of the Afterlife, the Devil, Satan, the Adversary (or whatever you want to call him) finds himself banished to the nearest thing to Purgatory on Earth, ie the Birmingham suburbs. Rejecting 'Nicholas Clovenhoof' as a bit obvious, he settles for Jeremy Clovenhoof. Without anything in his background to help him make his way in the human world, he does his best, from learning to wear shoes on his hooves, adopting a pet mould, serving inappropriate dishes at a dinner ...more
Mike McGowan
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Decent enough

Jeremy Clovenhoof doesn't grab me as a character in the same way that other humorous characterisations of Satan but nonetheless I did enjoy this book and look forward to making my way through the rest of the series.

I don't know if I'll finish all of them because there's a...tone?...to the first one which caused me mild annoyance pretty much all the way through but I did enjoy it and will be continuing with the others for the time being at least.
Bethany Gordon
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satan (Clovenhoof) is fired and forced to live with humans in Birmingham. As with all Heide Goody and Iain Grant books, this takes a mad idea, turns it into something funny, sad and totally random and makes a good listen. Full of characters from the religon, history and humans living their lives it is an adventure not to be missed. I loved the characters even the "bad" ones, they were all totally different but came together to make the story. An enjoyable listen.
Brandi
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great read! I had so much fun with this book. The style of writing was right up my alley, and the characterization was spectacular.I want to keep talking about the book but I don't want to give up any spoilers...I cannot wait to continue the series!
Michelle
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant concept, Satan gets kicked out of hell and ends up in Birmingham. Fabulous story line and characters that kept me reading and laughing. I'll definitely be reading the rest of the series
Michele Lacroix
May 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, paranormal
I couldn't finish this book. I got maybe 25% and it just kept getting worse, of course that's my opinion
Colin
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
a good funny read, wouldn't say a laugh a minute, but we'll worth a giggle. Well written, excellent plot, and great characters
Dee Darby
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve had this book on my kindle for so long now that I’d almost forgotten it was there until a friend mentioned she was reading it too. And I’m so glad she did!
The idea of Satan being fired from hell and sent earth to live as a human leads to alsorts of hilarious moments as he tries to navigate the world. I love the humour and the other characters that he meets are also great too.
A great read and I’m straight onto the next in the series (there are eight in all)
Liz
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was fantastic - a joyous romp. It reminded me of 'The Screwtape Letters' by C. S.Lewis which I read as a teenager. as I listened on audiobook - I have to say that the narrator chosen (Matthew Lloyd Davies) was perfect.

The book appeals to all ages and is just great fun. My favourite parts were the school setting and the preparation for the dinner party but I won't say more than that in case it spoils it for anyone else.

I was delighted to see that there is a whole series of these books by t
Amy
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Totally hilarious, if you have juvenile sense humour, which, as it turns out, I apparently do. Either that or recent virus related restrictions (Clovenhoof would have been proud) have regressed me mentally, which is a distinct possibility too. Looking forward to the sequel. :)
☺Trish
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tanya
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Absurd comedy, reads very well. Made me laugh a few times :)
Barbara Senteney
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I expected a horror story but stepped into a comedy. Satan has angered Peter so he is stripped of power and clothing and is cast naked upon earth, where he is made fun of by 2 old ladies, who question his manhood,lol. Then he is arrested and taken to Jail, Michael another Angel shows up to bail him out and tells him he is to live on Earth for the remainder of his days, Satan is upset he has to live in this cesspool called Earth.
Funny and ingenious. I almost died laughing.And might I add I don't
Dreamer
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: angels, demons
An amusing novel free from Amazon Prime. The devil, renamed Jeremy Clovenhoof, is banished to a flat in a suburb of Birmingham where he attempts to lead a human life with the help of flatmates Ben and Nerys.
Paul
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Charged with gross incompetence, Satan is fired from his job as Prince of Hell and exiled to that most terrible of places: English suburbia. Forced to live as a human under the name of Jeremy Clovenhoof, the dark lord not only has to contend with the fact that no one recognises him or gives him the credit he deserves but also has to put up with the bookish wargamer next door and the voracious man-eater upstairs.

Heaven, Hell and the city of Birmingham collide in a story that features murder, heav
Arkgirl
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, manic and full of warmth - a wonderful madcap adventure for Satan with an intriguing cast of characters and the narration is engaging. As Satan, aka Clovenhoof, encounters new foods, drinks and 'friends' the journey is wonderfully described. Another wonderful read/listen from these authors.
Leslie
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun, humor, paranormal
Clovenhoof is a brilliant, funny, sarcastic, witty, thoughtful and sweet book. Not for the kiddies mind you, it touches on adult themes like faith, sex dolls, cannibalism and murder. And not for the easily offended. If you liked the movies Dogma and Constantine, and books like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy you will like this book. Otherwise I'd say you may want to give it a pass; as that it deals with some theology and religion in a rather funny way.

First imagine Heaven and Hell are giant cor
Simon Fairbanks
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Clovenhoof is a darkly comic novel based around a simple premise: Satan is fired from Hell and must spend his forced retirement in Birmingham suburbia. What follows are the tales of Satan's efforts to assimilate with 21st century suburban living. He has to make friends, find a job, get a girlfriend and host a dinner-party, all under the watchful eye of his probation officer, Archangel Michael.

The writing is superbly funny and would appeal to those with a Terry Pratchett-esque sense of humour. It
2017 Reading Chal...: Clovenhoof 2 23 Jan 25, 2015 12:59PM

• Bog Roll Battles (Clovenhoof: The Isolation Chronicles #1)
  • Hell's Super (Circles in Hell, #1)
  • The Reluctant Demon  (Circles in Hell, #4)
  • The Unhappy Medium 2: Tom Fool: A Supernatural Comedy
  • The Unhappy Medium (The Unhappy Medium, #1)
  • A Cold Day In Hell (Circles in Hell, #2)
  • Saint Peter Takes a Holiday, or It’s About Time (Circles in Hell, #7)
  • Deal With The Devil (Circles in Hell, #3)
  • Carpet Diem
  • The Graveyard Shift (24/7 Demon Mart, #1)
  • Beelzebub: A Memoir (Circles in Hell, #6)
  • How To Be Dead (The 'How To Be Dead' Grim Reaper Comedy Horror Series Book 1)
  • Lockdown lunacy (Clovenhoof: The Isolation Chronicles #3)
  • The League of Unusual Denizens (Circles in Hell Book 8)
  • Handwash Hysteria (Clovenhoof: The Isolation Chronicles #2)
  • Serious Moonlight (The 'How To Be Dead' Comedy Horror Series Book 5)
  • Monster Burger (24/7 Demon Mart, #2)
  • I'm No Angel (Circles In Hell Book 5)

Clovenhoof (8 books)
  • Pigeonwings (Clovenhoof, #2)
  • Godsquad
  • Hellzapoppin' (Clovenhoof #4)
  • Beelzebelle (Clovenhoof #5)
  • Clovenhoof & the Trump of Doom (Clovenhoof #6)
  • Hooflandia (Clovenhoof #7)
  • Holymoly (Clovenhoof #8)

News & Interviews

“He had decided that if he ever returned to his old job he would create a special level of hell, an enormous inescapable shop of attractive but useless and overpriced items that the damned would wander for eternity in the cold delusion that this was what they wanted. And then Nerys had taken him to IKEA and Clovenhoof realised the humans had once again beaten him to it.” 1 likes
“Ooh, beetroot,” Ben said, as he gazed at the salad. “Gotta love beetroot, for making it through the digestive tract. It adds colour to your life today and tomorrow.” 0 likes