Start by marking “Kinslayer (The Lotus Wars, #2)” as Want to Read:
Kinslayer (The Lotus Wars, #2)

Kinslayer

(The Lotus Wars #2)

A SHATTERED EMPIRE
The mad Shōgun Yoritomo has been assassinated by the Stormdancer Yukiko, and the threat of civil war looms over the Shima Imperium. The Lotus Guild conspires to renew the nation’s broken dynasty and crush the growing rebellion simultaneously – by endorsing a new Shōgun who desires nothing more than to see Yukiko dead.

A DARK LEGACY
Yukiko and the mighty thu
Published September 17th 2013 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Kinslayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kinslayer

Jay Kristoff
Jul 18, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
KINSLAYER is the best book I’ve ever written. Of course, I’ve only written two proper books (well three actually, but the first one was about vampires and never got published and jesus wtf@me thinking that was a good idea). And I tend to be biased about my books, given that I’m usually the one that wrote them. But, I would five star the hell out of this thing, if the idea of authors rating their own books were not abhorrent to me on a molecular level.

[image error]

The plot is difficult to talk ab
Kat Kennedy
Kristoff has said, many times, that he doesn’t believe in happy endings. For the sake of all his readers, I once took him out for drinks and tried to get him terribly drunk. The one flaw in my plan being that I am 5’8 and he is 7′monster. My intention was to discover his true plans for the Stormdancer trilogy, and his earnestness about causing angst and heartbreak to his readers.

Alas, good folks, I can only surmise that Kristoff truly believes in neither happy endings or sparing his readers pain
Cyna
Sep 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
I really did not intend to read this book. I feel like I got my fill of/said my piece in the Stormdancer review, and who wants to retread? (other than Kinslayer, BA-ZING) So you guys (and I!) can thank Shiori and my pitiful resistance to peer pressure for this, another miserable two-month, 500-page slog. Also, UNMARKED SPOILERS ABOUND in this review.

I immediately regret this decision gif

First things first: the sama-as-'sir' and hai-as-'yes' thing - which, I'll have you know, was a totally intentional linguistic twist, I don't know
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)

Well, Kristoff doesn't play around in this one. It does take a while before things really get going, but holy shizz. I'm not sure what I'm feeling right now. It's a little George R. R. Martin. This guy is giving Pierce Brown a run for his money as far as the sucker punches go.

I am not even sure what to say without spoiling. This is not a fluffy story. There is a lot of trauma, violence, struggling, misery... rape, kidnapping, torture. Jeez. I mean, it isn't graphically described, but close enou
Dan Schwent
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, 2013
Robin (Bridge Four)
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-5-stars, buddy-read
description

This book went a bit to the dark side and when I say a bit I really mean close to the entire enchilada. Or at least it feels that way compared to the first book, which wasn’t all rainbow’s and sunshine but still felt like a walk in the park by comparison.

No one is safe. No one is guaranteed to be here at the end. No one is definitely playing for team good if there is such a thing. It was amazing how by halfway through the story I had no idea who I should like, who I should trust or who I want to
Wendy Darling
So. Much. Blood.

Review to come.
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you Pan Macmillan Australia for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

Your anger can topple mountains. Crush empires. Change the very shape of the world.” He pressed the blade into her hand, watched her cool eyes the colour of steel.
“Your anger is a gift.”

The amount of twists Kinslayer occupies makes me wonder how I will progress through writing this review. This book twisted my guts. (I uPUNagise) Th
Ferdy
Spoilers

Meh, there were some good parts but the majority of Kinslayer was boring.

-The writing didn't work for me, there were too many awkwardly phrased sentences and descriptions.

-The number of made up places/names/titles irritated me, I had to keep looking at the glossary because I didn't know what most of the words meant. The different titles and such just made the story confusing.

-There were too many POV's. The only ones I really liked were Michi and Hana's POV, they were both great. Yukiko w
Kilikina
“FEATHERS GROW BACK.... SISTERS DO NOT.”

description

I miss Yukiko and Buruu already...
Steph Sinclair

This cover is badass. I love it even more than Stormdancer's. And you can win an ARC at Cuddlebuggery!

--------
Are you kidding me? Of course I'm reading this. The lotus must bloom.
Justine
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
So, book 2 of the The Lotus War is darker than the already shading towards dark story that began in Stormdancer. I would say things are at a low point for the characters, and it can't get much darker, but I expect that I will be proven wrong about that.

Overall this continues to be a pretty engaging story that, apparently true to Kristoff's other books, is full of action and moves along quickly. There were a few twists I saw coming, but others that ended up being a real surprise. I wouldn't say t
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Hello, precious.

OW. MY HEART.

Read This Review & More Like It On Ageless Pages Reviews!

Jay Kristoff:

looks a lot like Dave Grohl
has a lot of imagination
a tendency to pull no punches
the ability to craft a viable, complex, interesting world
breaks my brain with every book he has written

Last year, Jay burst onto the scene with his steampunkian fantasy of an almost-Japan (here called the Shima Imperium) with his debut novel, Stormdancer. The hype began early, built over months of anticipation
Braiden
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this in 6 hours. Then again. D.E.V.O.T.E.D.

A warm and lovely thanks to St Martin's Griffin (Thomas Dunne Books)/Macmillan US for sending a floppy ARC all the way to Australia for me to devour, and also thanks to Jay for getting me one!

A breakdown of the moments after I received a package from Macmillan US containing Kinslayer:

Mum: Braiden, can you put the clothes on the line? Empty the dishwasher? Vacuum the floor? Clean the bench?

Me:

Mum: All right. I’m off. Love you.

Me:

(pretend the cat
Darren Hagan
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**4.75 stars**
**No spoilers**

I feel basically the same way as I did after reading Stormdancer with only a modicum of negativity. The writing is beautiful, the characters are amazing, the plot was (for the most part) really gripping, and the ending was crazy.

These books are really bringing emotions out in me and it's so strange. I'm laughing out loud, I'm scared for the characters, I'm almost crying at points. Books very rarely evoke such extreme emotions from me.

My only problem with this second
Amie Kaufman
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an extraordinary book. Jay Kristoff truly writes epic fantasy, and in KINSLAYER he seemingly effortlessly takes everything in STORMDANCER to the next level.

You'll be reacquainted with old friends and enemies and meet plenty of new ones, falling in love along the way. The characters risk everything, and some lose it all -- you'll have your heart broken over and over again, and you'll stand up and cheer, and every minute of it will be worth it. You'll travel to new places, and see parts of Kr
Elena
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhh this one was even better than the first one! And that's saying something. I freakin' love this trilogy! Jay Kristoff is a genius.
Talkincloud
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good shit, ladies and gentleman. Really good shit. <3 Can't wait to sink into "Endsinger"!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Christina (A Reader of Fictions) by: Lynn
Last year, I was really blown away by Jay Kristoff's debut, Stormdancer. Though this often isn't the case, I'm actually more impressed with the sequel. This does seem to have been a trend lately, and I do hope it continues, especially if the book world is going to continue to be overrun with series. But I digress. Kinslayer is darker, creepier, and more intense than its predecessor. If you're one of those people who thinks characters meeting gruesome ends is a necessity in epic works, get excite ...more
AziaMinor
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I felt like reading this I was in a high speed car chase trying to dodge random explosions and people speeding along trying to kill me with semi-automatic weapons- while going 200 mph!

Very good book, lots of great plot and the twists left you gasping. but like I said, going so fast it gave me whiplash
Abigail
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
IT WAS SOOOO EPIC! I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH ❤ ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 stars. It's going to be extremely difficult to talk about the sheer awesomeness of this book without giving spoilers, but darn it, I'm going to try! In general I tend not to do spoilers in reviews, but more important is the fact that I simply don't think anything will compare to the emotional rollercoaster of experiencing all the ups-and-downs of this book yourself.

Like the first book, though, it took me a while to get into the story. However, it's significant to note that some of the best
Shambhawi P.
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book made me lose my faith in the power of love.

I mean I always had a voice at the back of my mind - Dumbledore's to be precise - telling me that love is the greatest of all magic. Then he would also tell me I was a witch, fooled by my insecure muggle parents all these years and would be whisked a-way to the world of magic...

Kinslayer almost destroyed that.

How?

So. Much. Betrayal.

This book had the whole pseudo-Japanese Steampunk thingie going on as was in the first book but on a whole darker
Giselle
An Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher for review. Quotes pulled from the ARC may be incorrect and may be subject to change.

Kinslayer starts off with a bang and it doesn't stop there. It just keeps running full steam ahead! There was so many plot lines and different things going on all at the same time that I was never bored. So many revelations..You never know who to trust. There's so many people I wanted to trust, but at the same time knew they would betray their friends. Yukiko
Ingrid
May 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Before Reading:
LOOK AT THE COVERS. OH MY GOODNESS. SO PRETTY.

This is the UK cover. Super gorgeous. Yukiko is ready to slice people open. Awesome. Also, the waterfall is lovely. I am in love with this cover.
description

And this is the US. And while I loved the UK, I completely adore the US. For the first book I preferred the UK, but... This captures the book SO WELL. Also, Buruu is such a big part of the story that I feel like he needs to be on the cover and he wasn't on the cover of the UK. So... I thin
Giovanna
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

"I am the daughter of foxes. Slayer of Shoguns. Ender of empires. The greatest tempest Shima has ever known waits in the wings for me to call its name, and its coming will shake her foundations like the drums of the Thunder God."

Why did I wait this long before reading Kinslayer? Truly a mystery. I mean, I bought like two minutes after finishing Stormdancer in April, last year. Yeah, last year! And yet I was so scared, I was a bit afraid of reading Kinslayer. Izanagi's balls I don't even know
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
Short review

Yukiko is back, and so is Buruu, with a bunch of new POVs which i was angry about. Yuki's and Kin's were all i wanted, but i eventually wanted the others too. They played important parts in the story.

New characters
Hana aka No one. Exciting girl.
Yoshi Hana's brother. (I had to say it: Mario!)
JurouYoshi's boyfriend.
Daken Hana and Yoshi's cat.
DaichiKagé's leader.
AyaneAll i'm going to say is poor girl. I liked you.
Piotr
Kaori

I really liked the book. And so would you. And even though i
Choko
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
There are still many problems with the writing, including heavily convoluted prose and stereotypes galore, but the story is very imaginative and engaging and I am hooked! Going to the next ASAP:-)
Syahira
Jul 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: I'm reading this so that you wouldn't.

After a handy dandy random "This book is for English speaking audience" comment I received on my blog (since I am currently using English, please enlighten me about how I don't fit into the English-speaking audience) I made a decision to review Kinslayer rather than rewriting my angst-ridden negative review on Stormdancer and rehashing the discussion because frankly I want the bygones to be bygones but the issues with this series seems to latch upon me whenever I try to forget about it. But I'll
Anni (Tea in the Treetops)
Stormdancer was one of my favourite books of 2012. I’m happy to report that Kinslayer not only lived up to the first epic story but completely surpassed it in awesome. Excuse me while I have a bit of a gushy moment! I’ll try to describe what I love about this book without actually talking about what happens – you need to read that for yourself.

It’s been a few months since Yukiko and Buruu killed Shogun Yoritomo, losing her father and kick-starting a massive rebellion in the process. The Stormdan

• Silver Mirrors (Apparatus Infernum, #2)
  • Quicksilver (Ultraviolet, #2)
  • Copperhead (Ironskin, #2)
  • Sky Pirates (The Chronicles of Light and Shadow, #3)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)
  • The Book of Days
  • The Reluctant Hallelujah
  • A Spark Unseen (The Dark Unwinding, #2)
  • The Friday Society
  • Shadowlark (Skylark, #2)
  • The Revenge of Eli Monpress (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4-5)
  • And All the Stars
  • The Last Girl (The Last Trilogy #1)
  • Incarnation
  • Once We Were (The Hybrid Chronicles, #2)
  • The Mirrored Shard (Iron Codex, #3)
  • The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #2)
Jay Kristoff is the #1 international, New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of THE NEVERNIGHT CHRONICLE, THE ILLUMINAE FILES and THE LOTUS WAR. He is the winner of six Aurealis Awards, an ABIA, has over half a million books in print and is published in over thirty five countries, most of which he has never visited. He is as surprised about all of this as you are. He is 6’7 and has approx ...more

The Lotus Wars (3 books)
  • Stormdancer (The Lotus Wars, #1)
  • Endsinger (The Lotus Wars, #3)
“It takes courage to say goodbye. To stare at a thing lost and know it is gone forever. Some tears are iron forged.” 37 likes
“Then know this. Between and beneath and beyond anything else i may be, i am yours. I will never leave you. never forsake you. You may rely upon sun to rise and moon to fall. For you are the heart of me.” 14 likes