Start by marking “Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading” as Want to Read:
Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading

Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading

Learn everything you need to know to implement an integrated system of assessment and grading that will enhance your teaching and your students’ learning. Dr. Robert J. Marzano details the specific benefits of formative assessment—assessment that is used during instruction rather than at the end of a course or unit. He explains how to design and interpret three different t ...more
Published November 11th 2009 by Marzano Research Laboratory (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading

Jane
Sep 18, 2012 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
I very much admire Marzano's work, but this book was in some ways too basic and in many ways unnecessarily technical.
Amanda Roenicke
Jun 15, 2013 Amanda Roenicke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This really shaped my beliefs about the role of assessment in the classroom. It was an uncomfortable change, yet I believe that moving to a standards-based model is more ethical and better for students.
Stephanie
Jul 26, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers
Over the summer I went to Las Vegas for a JEA Advisers Institute. It was pretty awesome. Chris and I went a couple of days early and we played around and then when he left it was time for some learning.

One of the best sessions I attended was one about Systematic Grading presented by Sandra Coyer. If you are a teacher or know a teacher or read the news to learn about education you know that standards-based grading, common-core standards, holistic scoring, grading for learning, essential learning
Sharon
Aug 11, 2010 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While on the surface this book presents some very practical and useful strategies for assessment, I am finding that when the rubber hits the pavement there are some issues that Marzano seems to identify as unacceptable and that in my experience are almost unavoidable. I bought this book and sever others of Marzano's after hearing him speak several months ago on the topics presented in this text of formative assessments. In creating my own assessments with questions at level 2, 3, and 4 of comple ...more
Darren Kuropatwa
Apr 10, 2015 Darren Kuropatwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoughtfully written with lots of thought-provoking ideas. The notion of "formative scores" as opposed to everything else I've read about formative assessment. In short, if you put a number on it it's not formative. The systems towards the end of the bug, regarding assessment and grading, will not be a perfect fit into any classroom or school division reporting process. But I like that. in order to adapt Marcianos ideas to any classroom will require some time and thought. Towards the end of the ...more
Michael Heneghan
It took half a year or so ( or more!), but i finally finished this one. If you teach, you know who Marzano is and how respected he is in the field of educational research. This book makes me think that respect is deserved. Marzano goes in depth about what formative assessment is--and importantly, what it is not--and standards based grading. I am am interested in both, but the former is what prompted me to pick up this book. It has affected the way i assess my students, so, in my view, this was a ...more
Dean
Nov 18, 2010 Dean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kathy
3.5 A very solid technical manual for standards-based assessment. There are more specific books just on formative assessment that would be a better place to start if that is your area of interest. however, nothing beats Marzano for detail and specific instructions when it come to fair and reliable grading systems. Our current computer program for reporting wouldn't support a standards-based report...but I have a clear idea now of what we can work toward.
Alex Meeres
Apr 14, 2013 Alex Meeres rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers, principals, superintendents of curriculum & instruction
Shelves: education
I liked Marzano's presentation of research in the area of formative assessment, and he has some sensible ideas about organizing assessment data. In some cases, though, it seemed as though his different tiers of assessment differed according to category more than complexity. I do not feel Marzano sufficiently answered the question, "What evidence should be used for a final grade," either. I might use some of what this book offers, but it is not a comprehensive book on the subject.
Monta
Mar 07, 2013 Monta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still struggling a bit with standards based grading. This book talked about it, but a lot of the book was specifically how to implement it--with reviews and worksheets and reproducibles. Definitely more a how-to than a discussion about it, though the first chapter was research and theory. If you're a teacher looking into standards based assessment, this might not be a bad read.
Stuart Macalpine
Very US-based, particularly in the association between the 4.0 scale of grading and standards-based assessment. But some excellent data on effect sizes of feedback and a useful source book for standards-based assessment.
D. George
While this book offers some strategies for record keeping and rationales for the superiority of formative assessment and standards based grading, I am left feeling unready to implement such changes without distorting the intent.
Valerie
Jan 10, 2013 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teacher-workshop
I felt like there were some really interesting points on how to creat and score CFAs. Since we are new to CFA creation in my district it offered some good insight!
Dodie
Jun 02, 2016 Dodie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great practical ideas on how to assess students by standards, and not arbitrary grades.
Holly VanSkike
Dec 25, 2013 Holly VanSkike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was great! I read it to learn how to implement standards-based grading in my classroom. I feel like it told me exactly what I needed to know to get started!
Michael
Feb 16, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another logical and well organized framework for quality instruction. A wonderful companion book to O'Connor's 15 fixes.
Kathy Conley
I felt like this was pretty basic information, but relevant to changes in grading and assessments.
Angela Brewington
I loved this book!!!!! The author gives plenty of examples and moves you step-by-step on how to make this change in the way grading happens in a classroom.
Cheryl
Mar 26, 2014 Cheryl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely boring, and supremely unhelpful...if I could give this zero stars, I would! Don't waste your money on this one.
Stacy
Stacy rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2013
LaMar Wilson
LaMar Wilson rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2017
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Mbelzeski
Mbelzeski rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2010
Erica Castillo
Erica Castillo rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Don
Don rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Stephanie Stoebe
Stephanie Stoebe rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2010
Kendra
Kendra rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Classroom Assessment for Student Learning: Doing It Right--Using It Well
  • Fair Isn't Always Equal: Assessing  Grading in the Differentiated Classroom
  • Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (Book & CD-ROM)
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • A Repair Kit for Grading: 15 Fixes for Broken Grades
  • 50 Things You Can Do With Google Classroom
  • Enhancing Professional Practice: A Framework for Teaching
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • The Case Against Standardized Testing: Raising the Scores, Ruining the Schools
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning
  • Image Grammar : Using Grammatical Structures to Teach Writing(Bk & Cdrom)
  • Teaching Argument Writing, Grades 6-12: Supporting Claims with Relevant Evidence and Clear Reasoning
  • The Power of Our Words: Teacher Language That Helps Children Learn
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • Teaching with Intention: Defining Beliefs, Aligning Practice, Taking Action, K-5
  • Write Like This