Start by marking “A Hopeful Heart (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #1)” as Want to Read:
A Hopeful Heart (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #1)

A Hopeful Heart

(Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #1)

In A Hopeful Heart, the first novel of the new Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel series from best-selling author Amy Clipston, Hannah finds herself at a crossroads in her life. Her community offers her love and support after the untimely death of her husband, but an Englisher offers her the chance of a new life after her unexpected tragedy. Wealthy businessman Trey Peter ...more
Published June 21st 2013 by Zondervan (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Hopeful Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hopeful Heart

Amy Lillard
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I readily admit that I love Amy Clipston as an author and a person. But this book is *fabulous*! It's the first in the series and sets the pace for the others to follow. I won't give away any spoilers, but Hannah has had a lot of big changes in her life after the death of her beloved husband. And so has Englisher Trey. Hannah's brother in law Joshua has always loved her and wants to turn their business partnership into more--a marriage. What a perfect love triangle! Told only the way a Christian ...more
Rachel Brand
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hannah Glick’s family doesn’t entirely approve of her working in the Lancaster Grand Hotel, but it’s a necessity in order to support her family following her husband’s death. With the help of her brother-in-law, Jonathan, Hannah is able to keep her husband’s horse business running and keep an eye on her family. As much as she knows her children need a father figure in their life, Hannah hasn’t found someone she can see herself spending the rest of her life with—until she runs into Trey Peterson, ...more
Kristin
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve read by this author so I was just a tiny bit surprised that I wasn’t all that enthralled with this book.

I really tried but I just couldn’t find the love for this book. I honestly felt nothing but frustration with the characters.

I thought the mom was very selfish and it bothered me that she let one of her teen daughters go live with someone else so that she could do what she wanted. It bothered me to be honest.

I have sat a good long while on even writing this review
Rhonda Gayle
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amy Clipston has written a delightful tale of hope and healing in A Hopeful Heart. Hannah Glick, an Amish widow who is working in housekeeping at the Lancaster Grand Hotel, meets English widow, Trey Peterson, who is staying at the hotel. He is hoping to fulfill his former wife's dream of running a Bed & Breakfast in Lancaster's Amish country. Hannah is hoping to be able to provide for her family and find love again. What is God's will for their lives? To be together, one of them must give up ...more
Natalie
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Not my favorite Amy Clipston book, but I still enjoyed it.

As always, the portrayals of the Amish way of life were well done and seemed realistic. Almost all of her books involve characters moving on from heartbreak so it was enjoyable to see that as well.

However with this one, I just wasn't a fan of the romance. It was just too sudden for me and I didn't really sense a connection between the two of them. As a result, their declarations of love seemed to come out of nowhere.
Leah
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book and am looking forward to reading the next book in this series. The ending made me very happy. It was exactly what I wanted to have happen. I liked the main characters. They were quite different in some ways, one is Amish and the other is English, and it made for an interesting story.
Joleen Devens
I really enjoyed this Amish fiction book. The ending was a surprise to me. I could hardly put it down.
Wendy
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hannah Glick lost her husband a few years ago but continues to live on the farm where he and his brother Joshua raised horses. She is the mother of 16 year old twin girls and a 10 year old son. The family is getting along well but she still misses her husband and has gone to work at the Grand Hotel in Paradise to help supplement the business so they can hire Joshua some help. The property actually belongs to her in-laws and she has to pay them rent to live in the house.

Joshua has loved Hannah s
Barb
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
A Hopeful Heart was written by Amy Clipston as Book One in the Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel Series and printed by Zondervan. It is the story of Hannah Glick, who is a young widow with 16 year-old fraternal twin girls and a younger son, Andrew. She works at the Lancaster Grand Hotel in Paradise, Pennsylvania as a maid to supplement the income from her late husband Gideon’s and his brother’s horse farm. Jacob is her brother-in-law and has been in love with her since before she married his b ...more
Karen Korb
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it
My Thoughts About The Book: I love Amish fiction and was thrilled to have the opportunity to review this book for Thomas Nelson's Book Sneeze Blogging Program. Because it was an Amish story I devoured the book and read this book all the way through in one day. Once I started it I could not put it down. The resolution was a bit hard to swallow. Trey and Hannah fell in love too quickly, after just one brief conversation. I haven't read an Amish fiction book where things were resolved in that way, ...more
Grace
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After reading The Outsider by Penelope Williamson, "A Hopeful Heart" grabbed my attention by the similar plot. It is the first book in a series from "Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel", and from the very first page I knew this was truly going to be a "Grand" journey, that might even surpass The Outsider! The 317 pages just flew by, as Miss Amy Clipston tells the story of young, widowed Hannah Glick, a maid at the hotel who awkwardly and unexpectedly encounters one of the English guest's, Trey. ...more
Kristi
Get comfy in your favorite reading spot and get ready to enjoy the first book in the Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel series.

Amish widow Hannah Glick meets Englisher widower Trey Peterson under embarrassing circumstances at the hotel where she is working and he is a guest. After their initial embarrassment the two become friends. Their friendship is met with disapproval though by Hannah's family, especially her brother-in-law Joshua. He has had feelings for Hannah for a long time and would li
Maureen Timerman
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
A Hopeful Heart is just that, and full of painful decisions, and life changing ones. Trey Peterson has suffered the imaginable, losing both his wife and daughter to a horrible accident. He was away at the time on one of his many business trips, this saved his life, but he now wishes it hadn’t. He is now dealing with the ramifications of not being there, being spared, oh if only it could have been him?
Trey is now trying to make a dream of his wife’s come true, opening an Amish style Bed and Brea
Andrea Guy
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hannah Glick is a widow who finds two men vying for her love, a handsome Englischer widower and her late husband's brother.

This was definitely a story that turned out to be different from what I expected. Most Amish stories I've read deal with finding love in the Amish community or the youth finding love and deciding whether or not to stay with the faith.

Hannah is not the typical Amish heroine, she's older and she's questioning her community.

While I loved the story there were several things tha
Chris
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: love undone recommended by GR
Shelves: amy-clipston
New author for me and WOW can't wait for the next one:-)
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY
Tammy G.
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amy Clipston is one of my favorite authors. She writes with a crisp, clean smoothness that makes reading a pleasure.
In A Hopeful Heart the first book in the Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel series we meet sweet,kind Hannah.
Hannah is a widow from the Amish community who works in the Lancaster Grand Hotel.
The reader can identify with Hannah has she tries to come grips with the loss of her husband. As always the Amish community surrounds and takes care of their own when tragedy strikes. But Han
Shauna
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
I appreciated the unusual resolution the author used to the main problem in this story. I haven't read an Amish fiction book where things were resolved in that particular manner (of course that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist), and I appreciated the change. She also doesn't portray the Amish as the practically perfect people that a lot of the Amish fiction seems to. We all have our problems, don't we? Although many of them were kind and gentle, they were human and things around her were not p ...more
Rachel Miller
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read of Amy Clipston's but it will not be the last!

Amy is an exceptionally talented author whose writing puts you right into the scene. You can feel the pain, heart-break, worry and fear of her characters. You can also feel the hints of a fledgling attraction and the jealousy!

On another note, I don't believe I have ever read another Amish fiction novel quite like this one so full marks to Amy for telling an entirely original story!

Whether you read Amish fiction or n
Susan
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful Amish story with a unique twist. The story of Hannah, her family and friends was refreshing as always. Hannah has a difficult, unexpected choice to make. This book illustrates how important it is we remain close to God and to follow Him where he directs. Looking forward to the next in this series.
Janet
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I love Amy's books.

I enjoyed a lot of things about this book but just a few things to get
past. The speed of following in love just isn't realistic, I know this is a book
of fiction but still.
I enjoy the building relationship between Hannah and Trey, it just needed to
not be so rushed. Enjoyed Amanda and Mike,looking forward to seeing where that
goes in the next book.
Natalie
This is so good. I love the new characters. The plot is strong. It's a great introduction to a new series. I'm counting down the days until book two is out. Clipston knows how to grab readers from the beginning.
Katie
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Pros:
Clean story. A (female) was the most developed character behind H. I did see some points where A (male) was true to age. Interesting take on the Amish-Englischer love triangle.

Cons:
I felt like Ms. Clipston’s heart wasn’t in the story, I’ve loved every book I’ve read of hers previously, but this one was a struggle to get through. The characters were not well-developed, and their monologues were very surface level. I felt like J was infantile in his interactions H; it seemed like he was a 16-
Kali
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't stop listening to this audio book!! I found myself wanting to steal away to listen to it all day long, I even took the long way home in my car so I c. I so badly wanted to know what Hannah was going to decide. While I really enjoyed this book it lost stars because I felt like it was a bit drawn out and repetitive with Hannah retelling her decisions to every single character. It also ended leaving me wanting more, which I think is part of setting up for the rest of the series. But now ...more
Christine Gilbert
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this book different to other 'Amish' fiction, I have read. Different? A lot of books I've read focus on young people going through Rumspringa or other issues. This one was focused on a young widow who fell in love with an 'Englischer' and the problems that caused her and how she processed them and came to a life changing decision.

I enjoyed the book, and would recommend it to others.
Fay Risner
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good Amish book. A story about a widow's struggles to decide if she wants to accept the proposal of her Amish brother-in-law and remain Amish or accept the proposal of an Englisher and become English. She had the added dilemma that her three children might not like her choice if she picks the English man. She would be shunned forever by the Amish and possibly lose her children if they don't agree with her choice.
Lisa at Farm Fresh Adventures
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have to admit I was expecting just another Amish story. Like so many others, but I should have known Amy Clipson doesn't write like the others! The final decision of the main character Hannah kept me wondering all the way to the end!

And that MIL Barbie. What a piece of work. Ugh. It was a good story that I enjoyed!
Susann Williams
This book mostly made me angry. The relationships weren't so well developed but ironically I (somewhat) liked the storyline. I thought the main character sacrificed too much and her love interest not enough.
Judy Adams
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, I like the story line with it’s twist. It was hard to put down, I just had to know what decision Hannah would go with. Should she stay in the comfort of her Amish community or start an entirely new life with and englisher. On to the next one in the series.
Marian Y Woodfork
A Hopeful Heart Review

The book was very heartwarming. Hannah was a strong Amish
woman who loved her children and was concerned about their future. Her faith was strong and she prayed over her decisions.
I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
Karen Holman
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is an interesting story centered around the main characters feelings during this tale. Amish women are given the role of being the leaders to this ending. copy right 2013
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Aug 19, 2015 11:30AM
  • The Amish Seamstress
  • A Wedding for Julia (The Pebble Creek Amish, #3)
  • Johanna's Bridegroom (Hannah's Daughters, #6)
  • Plain Admirer (Brides of Amish Country, #8)
  • Plain Proposal (Daughters of the Promise, #5)
  • Love Comes to Paradise (New Beginnings, #2)
  • A Season for Tending (Amish Vines and Orchards #1)
  • Hidden Mercies
  • Threads of Grace (Patch of Heaven #3)
  • To Love and to Cherish (The Bliss Creek Amish #1)
  • Daybreak (The Days of Redemption #1)
  • The Promise Box (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors #2)
  • Lydia's Hope (The Lost Sisters of Pleasant Valley #1)
Hi, I’m Amy Clipston. I am an author of Amish and Christian fiction with HarperCollins Christian Publishing. Most of my books focus on the Amish community, faith, and love. I also write romance novels and young adult inspirational stories.

My books include:

Kauffman Amish Bakery Series
• A Gift of Grace (3/2009)
• A Promise of Hope (3/2010)
• A Place of Peace (2/2011)
• A Life of Joy (1/2012)
• A Season

Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel (4 books)
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel, #3)
  • A Simple Prayer (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel, #4)
“Now I’d give anything for five minutes with my family again. Just five more minutes to look into my wife’s and my daughter’s eyes and tell them how much I love them.” 1 likes