Start by marking “Roommates” as Want to Read:
Roommates

Roommates

(The Girls of Canby Hall #1)

Dana Morrison - spirited, independent, city girl.

Faith Thompson - determinted, talented, and practical.

Shelley Hyde - naive small town girl.

Dana, Faith, and Shelley, all new to Canby Hall in their sophomore year, end up as roommates -- and get off to the worst possible start. They're so different they practically hate each other! But slowly they grow to understand and care
Published April 2nd 1987 by Scholastic (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Roommates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roommates

Jenna
BEWARE SPOILERS. Recap of the entire book under the cut and at The Girls of Canby Hall

(view spoiler)
Andrea (formerly Amadeus)
Thank you to Roxane Gay who, in her book Hungry , reminded me of the Girls of Canby Hall series. I read these as a teenager but had forgotten about them. Fortunately, I found a reasonable deal on books 1-30 online. :-)

This first book is not as exciting as I remember--when I first read them, they made me want to move to a boarding school--but it was a good way to pass the time. I was surprised at how they brought up social issues but, since it was written in 1983, it still has the tired trope o
Courtney Wheaton
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this little gem from the 80s last night and I was pleasantly surprised. I have some strange love of books set in boarding schools, and this one is a nice easy read. The girls in the story start off in a bad spot but in the end friendship reigns supreme. There were actually a few really poignant moments in this typical teen bit o fluff.
Olivia
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a really funny book about three different girls named Dana, Shelly, and Faith. They are all completely different people, and they all have to learn to accept each other for their differences. But, they all run into lots of problems.
Amy Webster-Bo
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this series in high school took me 10 years to get all the books in the series, but I have them now,
Jill Kronick
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite series as a teen. I had forgotten what it was called and was searching around in Goodreads and finally came upon this!! Yay!
Lisa Mccoy
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Nostalgic re-reading of a series I loved as a tween. :)
Sarah Crawford
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another of the somewhat older young adult series of books that I like. The main characters are going to a boarding school. Dana, who is white, is a city girl. Faith, who is black, is a girl who is 15 and is a talented photographer. Shelley is from a small town type of place.

Problems start right off when Faith thinks Shelley doesn't like black people (where she comes from there were almost no black people at all.) It gets worse when Shelley wants to decorate the room a certain way and the
Susann
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
This book, probably more than any other, made me eager for dorm life and taught me how to decorate a dorm room. It also taught me how to pursue my interests and how to not let boys get away with ratty behavior.

Alison is the ultimate in aspirational dorm motherhood. I'm still looking for that Katie's Klip 'N' Kurl neon sign and am ready and willing to paint my plumbing pipes and heating ducts in bright, primary colors.

And how about Dana's fashion sense? I still envy the scene where, "...[she:]
Jen
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tweens_and_teens
I read these in late elementary-middle school, and I remember devouring the series. It's about a group of girls from different backgrounds who go to an elite boarding school. I think, if I remember correctly, that there are some mysteries that happen, but there wasn't one in this one, so who knows.

Anyway, I wasn't one of the cool kids reading Sweet Valley High (and I never have, thank you very much) but this one suited me really well. The descriptions of clothing and hair styles are extremely da
Heidi-Marie
May 27, 2008 rated it liked it
I think this was another looking for something to read around the house and for some reason we had this one. It was OK. The only thing I remember about it is one of the girls knocking on the RA's door. The RA asks "Friend or Foe?" The girl said her name. And the RA said "Definitely Friend." That's how I learned what a foe was. I know I enjoyed the book at the time, but so much that I wanted to read others in the series. Probably dated now, but I'm sure some 12-14 year old girls would enjoy it st ...more
Brodiesmom
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Seriously, NO OTHER BOOKS on earth have stayed with me the ways The Girls of Canby Hall series have. I WAS OBSESSED with these books and I still reread them as an adult when I need some good nostalgia! Every single book in this series is amazing, but none are as good as "With Friends Like These...." and "Our roommate is missing" I have to go dig them out again because I need a Shelley, Dana & Faith hit! LOVE!
Denise Kettering
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
I read these books as a tween/teen and really enjoyed the characters and the series as a whole. As the first book in the series, Roommates introduced the characters of the three main characters. While these books are clearly dated, they still have some good stories about learning to get along despite apparent differences.
Noora
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nuortenkirjat
Ikivanha suosikkisarja, jossa on edelleen hohtoa jäljellä. Tai sitten ensimmäisten lukukertojen hyvät kokemukset palaavat mieleen. Sitäpaitsi, muistot palasivat muutenkin mieleen, mikä on aina positiivista.
Dirly
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite series every when I was a kid. Quick and easy to read, even when I was 10 years old. The series is the story of 3 girls in an all girl boarding school and how they become friends and get through life and all of the bumps along the way.
♥ Susan
This was probably my favorite tween/teen series. I have the cover memorized, with great emotion attached.. they were like friends.
Sara Morcom
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childhood
Loved this series as a Tween and begged my parents to send me to private school. Unfortunately, that was a negative.
Julie
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read these books from the book mobile from probably 4th grade through high school. I even named my dog after one of the characters. I LOVED these books!
Cyndi
Jul 25, 2012 added it
I loved this whole series, read them when I was I'd middle school.
Amber Sussman
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved all of these when I was young!
Leilah Bernstein
Dec 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My FAVORITE series as a teen (well, this and Nancy Drew). I still have them.
Astra Cohen
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great series!
Kristina
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
These were my favorite teen book series, even more so than sweet valley high. They were "old" even then, but I found them so believable!
Jenn S
Sara
Jun 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• When the Dolls Woke
  • How Do You Lose Those Ninth Grade Blues?
  • Spring Break (Sweet Valley High Super Edition, #3)
  • Laura's Luck
  • Taking Terri Mueller
  • Patti's Luck (Sleepover Friends, #1)
  • Trying Out (Cheerleaders, #1)
  • Remember Me to Harold Square
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery of Whispering Witch (Trixie Belden, #32)
"Emily Chase" was the pen-name used by a number of authors who contributed to Scholastic's Girls of Canby Hall series, about a group of girls living at a New England boarding school. Amongst these contributors was romance novelist Julie Garwood.

The Girls of Canby Hall (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • Our Roommate Is Missing