Start by marking “Adoniram Judson: How Few There Are Who Die So Hard! (Missions Biography #2)” as Want to Read:
Adoniram Judson: How Few There Are Who Die So Hard! (Missions Biography #2)

Adoniram Judson: How Few There Are Who Die So Hard!

(Missions Biography #2)

Earnestly consider your role in completing the Great Commission.

That was John Piper's overarching plea when he delivered a biographical message on Adoniram Judson in 2003.

Judson was America's first foreign missionary and an example of one who considered, and executed on, his own uniquely strategic role in the completing of the Commission.

Though warned not to go to Burma, h
Published 2012 by Desiring God

To ask other readers questions about Adoniram Judson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adoniram Judson

Ian Hammond
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring short read. Free Ebook at Desiring God.
Daniel Duane
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies
A rather brief biography of Adoniram Judson. Piper stressed more on the suffering he went through, which was very very immense. So many of his loved ones died, it was really unbelievable that a man could live through those experiences except by the Grace of God. Liked the way Piper put it by putting five points on the table for anyone who seeks to be part of the Great Commission. One point was clear, suffering is a prerequisite for to see the fruits of labor and the glory of God come.
Joe
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a short introduction to Judson. It's delivered as a short sermon, so don't expect a biography. To give one's life for the sake of the gospel seems like the ultimate call, but aren't we all called to do the same? Obedience has a price and that price has a purpose. Judson's life and story will inspire you to consider your obedience to the Great Commission.

This book was a free download from Desiring God.
Alice
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a very quick overview of a missionary's life and ministry. It is aimed to inspire more to persevere through suffering knowing that God uses suffering as one of his main instruments in the spead of the Gospel and the ministry of the Church.

John Piper writes to remind us that unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies it will not bear fruit, but if it dies it will bear much fruit.

The ebook is available for free from DesiringGod.org
John Barbour
THE HEART OF THIS BOOK IS THIS: God plans to make suffering a crucial means to
accomplish his purpose.AND The pain of Adoniram Judson illustrates the purpose
of suffering.
Quotable quote:
"I don’t just mean that suffering is the consequence of obedient
missions. I mean that suffering is one of Christ’s strategies
for the success of his mission."
Giju Abraham
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
A short and quick read on the amazing life of Adoniram Judson. You will be shocked and inspired by what he and his family endured for missions. Even though he had moments of doubt and despair he never really gave up. A great example to many.

Thanks to John Piper and Desiring God for making resources such as these available free to download and print!
Rebs
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
wow i would very much like to read an expanded biography of judson, his wives and life in burma. i always wondered what people meant with the phrase "die hard". know i know. wow. praise God for this man's life of service for the Gospel of Christ.
Marguerite Harrell
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy reading this book and learned a lot about Adoniram Judson!
Justin
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent short biography on one of the most heroic figures of Christianity one can name
Pavlo
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This small book made me pray more and meditate of the preciosness of Great Commission, the ways how God ordains his gospel to be spread; and finally estimate myself in the context of His work.
Dean Wood
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
Convicting, humbling, encouraging, powerful little book.
Josh
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read, very inspiring. This man gave his life for Christ, convicting testimony.
Richard Moore
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read very inspiring. What can we sacrifice for Christ like Judson did.
Julia
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
"The question for us is not whether we will die, but whether we will die in a way that bears much fruit."

This was a great introduction to Judson's life and the mission that he was on. Piper did a great job of presenting biographical information in a way that allowed him to spur readers on into a life completely surrendered to God. Incredibly convicting, this is making me reevaluate some things in my own life. It was almost a five star book, but there were several spelling errors that at times d
Dustin Brown
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
The actual biographical material was good but Pipers commentary lacked in someways. First of all I didn’t care for the way the book was laid out, though I know it’s more of a missions lecture in print than a biography it’s not my cup of tea. Then Pipers insistence on hobby horsing Calvinism (a position I disagree with scripturally) was a bit much in my opinion. Let history speak for itself. On the positive side wow did AJ have an amazing life especially the story of his conversion is quite amazi ...more
Tim Suffield
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A call to missions, and a challenge to die continually to ourselves.
Jack Richardson
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A biography of a man who gave up everything to bring the gospel to other parts of the world.
Joel Gass
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
pretty short but free on Desiring God. All of these missionary stories are good.. and free..
Ely
Apr 08, 2014
Paulo Henrique
Jan 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe

Missions Biography (4 books)
  • David Brainerd: May I Never Loiter On My Heavenly Journey (Missions Biography #1)
  • Andrew Fuller: I Will Go Down If You Will Hold the Rope! (Missions Biography #3)
  • John G. Paton: You Will Be Eaten By Cannibals! (Missions Biography #4)