Start by marking “Natural Selection” as Want to Read:
Natural Selection

Natural Selection

(Dominant Species #1)

It started as a peaceful visit to his weekend getaway in the Sierra foothills. Hours later teacher Phil Lynch finds himself living a nightmare. Paralyzed and taken prisoner, his body is used as an unwilling host in a bizarre and grisly series of parasitic infections. On board the alien vessel within which he is imprisoned are more than a hundred other humans - and like Phi ...more
Published (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Natural Selection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Natural Selection

Cassandre Whisperingcrow
I have always been a huge fan of Science Fiction and Horror stories, but I have to admit I never really have gotten into alien abduction stories until I started reading Natural Selection..! Holy Cow…. David Coy has created a fast paced, vividly descriptive, terrifying tale of alien conquest in Natural Selection.
The story starts out with a woman waking up in some kind of medical bay where they are performing surgery on her. The first paragraph of the book grabbed me and this story did not let me
Raisa
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As early as its Prologue, Natural Selection already captured my imagination as I keep asking, “is that possible?”, “how come?”, and the more I read and search for answers, the more my theories are proven wrong.

David Coy’s first novel has the “hair on neck-standing” effect and it challenges the mind, revolving around eerie and chilling events. It crosses the line between fact and myth. Coy opens the door to a world of practice belonging to a specie far removed from ours (too advanced and devoid o
{ U n s o l v e d M y s t e r y }
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi/horror lovers
Recommended to { U n s o l v e d M y s t e r y } by: Given to me for an honest review

- My Description -
The aliens have taken over!

This is a dramatically terrifying science fiction tale of complete strangers who are bonded together for two common reasons.

One: They are taken and held captive by aliens who are using their bodies for food harvesting and other bizarre experiments.
and
Two: They want out. They are done. They want to escape.

- My Review -
I don't read much science fiction books or watch much science fiction films, but I wanted to give this a go.
I will read or watch anyt
Drew Allen
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
I didn't realize when I bought this book that it was classified as science fiction/horror. I've never been a big horror fan, so that part of the reason that I didn't give this book a higher rating.

The basic premise is that a teacher is abducted by aliens as an incubator in their research to develop a biological weapon to wipe out humanity. This book is not for the squeamish, since it goes into detail of the experiments.
BK Blue

I have this crazy fear of parasites and insects that lay their eggs/larva into people's flesh. So thanks for the nightmares. Now, let me get this out of my system for the last time.
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Uuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh.

Seriously, though. YUCK. How horrifying.

Oh, but this book is awesome. A great piece of sci-fi horror here.
Daniel
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Strange and terrifying

I didn't know where this book was headed. Seemed slow at the start but worth the wait. The full horror of these aliens and how they exist is horrifying. This firmly fits in the categories of both science fiction and horror.

There were a few convenient things happening in the book, tools that shouldn't have been around. Then again, knowing the nature of the goons, maybe it isn't so far-fetched. You'll have to judge for yourself.

I recommend reading this book so long as you're
Remigijus Jodelis
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite amazing body horror novel. I'd almost give it five stars for the characters and the whole alien abduction plot, but it falls a little short of science. For example, no changes in gravity on the alien ship compared to earth, not even an attempt of explanation.
Pat
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty gruesome tale of alien abduction. Worth a read.
Don
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
It has been said that if an alien race ever visited the Earth that it would not be a pleasant visit. David Coy unleashes this horrific novel of an alien invasion in a way that engulfs the reader with its visceral terror. The imagination of this author is rather fresh and I thoroughly enjoyed the novel. I found the characters interesting and well fleshed out which made the horror that they endured all the worse.

Creatures genetically created to do the work for the aliens, as well as creatures desi
James Clifford
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a tried and true measure of how good I think a book is— if I finish reading it over the course of two or three nights then the book falls into my must read category. I finished David Coy’s debut novel, Natural Selection, in a twenty-four hour period. Natural Selection is an original, wonderfully crafted Science Fiction-Horror thriller about the mortal struggle for survival. After reading Natural Selection I promise you’ll be scanning the night skies, praying that they aren’t coming for th ...more
Amy Elizabeth Sheets
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely HORRIBLE - FIVE STARS!

Absolutely HORRIBLE - FIVE STARS

Omg - don't read at night, don't sleep with the lights off, and for God's sake don't go wandering in the woods.

The most revolting, disgusting, nauseating, horrors a human could imagine are all wrapped up in this incredible story. If you are looking for real horror, this is it. WOW.

...and it's not gore just for gore's sake! What a great adventure!

The author:

- builds tension like a master, raising the terror inch by inch, until it'
Calamus
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With Halloween and our impending 2012 doom in mind, I chose to read the first volume of this sci-fi thriller series by David Coy. This hair-raising novel follows the lives of several characters who are abducted by aliens and made to endure a new reality of horrific experiments. The main characters in Natural Selection struggle not only with the idea that they are facing their own pain, torture, and what appears to be imminent death, but also with the realization that their abductions are the beg ...more
Wanda Hartzenberg
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Ok so let us start at the beginning. I love horror and thriller reads.
I like some sci-fi but it is in no way my go to genre.
I love well formed characters and in this book you find one or two of them. The others are mostly glossed over to go into descriptive pose of world building and horror settings including alien rape scene etc.
The world building is the one thing I liked most. It is really well done but the fact that so few characters are developed left me feeling that the world in which thi
Rose Wynters
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest, unbiased review of Dominant Species - Volume One. I am a huge fan of science fiction so I was thrilled to get the chance to try this book out. I can honestly say it's one of the best sci-fi books I've read!

This story is about a group of people that have been abducted and held by aliens. They are experimented on so much that they've become used to it and are completely hopeless. They are true survivors living in dismal and horrible ci
Erin
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Bug-like aliens aren't exactly a fresh idea, but David Coy took the idea in a different and horrific direction with "Dominant Species: Volume One - Natural Selection". The descriptions of the actual abductions, why certain people were chosen, and what an invasion could look like were all very thoughtfully planned, and the actions that some of the captives took as they struggled to escape and foil the aliens' plans were certainly realistic. Aside from some definite grammatical and spelling errors ...more
Keri Salyers
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
I haven't read a sci-fi in a while so thought I would grab one up. One thing I liked- which I can't say is unusual since I don't read the genre as much- is the aliens weren't benevolent at all. They weren't trying to help us or trying to save themselves, nothing of the sort. They wanted our planet and they had a really... well, gross... way of going about it. It's a pretty smart idea.

The characters had a realness to them that kept me reading. And I loathed "that one guy", kudos for making a slim
Dalene
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2013
I want to thank the Author David Coy for giving me this book for an honest review. Wow, I liked the characters and how David made you see and believe what was happening to these people to the point one could have nightmares about these aliens coming after them. The things these people went through and being strong enough to be survivors and try to find a way to get out. I am looking forward to reading the other two books as soon as I can fit them in my schedule. Great job very descriptive and ho ...more
Matt Bohnhoff
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, sci-fi
A fun read and well worth what I paid for it (Found it for free!). Most of the story was pretty cliche alien abduction stuff, complete with gory details about surgical experiments, but I thought the author did a pretty good job putting his own spin on it. There were a number of typos, grammatical errors, and minor inconsistencies with details but it bad enough to be really distracting. The characters were generally complete and likable, if a little predictable.
Amanda Gill
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a long-time fan of science fiction, but not so much of horror. However, I snagged the Kindle edition of this book for free, so I figured I'd give it a chance.

I'm glad I did! Well-written characters combine with good action and just enough detail to let your imagination run wild. It was creepy and sickening in the best way possible. I'm looking forward to reading the other two books in this trilogy.
Doreen Dalesandro
Kindle freebie, 07/23/12
Bayley
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Sci Fi novel, Really enjoyed the grisly details about alien abduction and survival. Great escape, literally!
Marsha Graham
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Well written sci-fi horror. It dragged somewhat at transitions.
John
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Average read. A little different take on a common topic. Did make me want to read the next book. While not near my favorite, I would recommend the book.
Kfdowner
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my! This was a pretty interesting take on the alien abduction concept. Overall good read!
Destiny Causby
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me nightmares, which makes it a good horror book in my opinion
Elnora Romness
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is super good, but could stand to be shortened a bit. Beautifully horrific.

Find my full review here: http://ogcmat.blogspot.com/2013/08/do...
Naj Hurtado
Nov 16, 2012
Mary Russel
Apr 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Graveyard Blues (Night Blues, #1)
  • The Takers (The Oz Chronicles, #1)
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Whatever Gods May Be
  • The Vampire Underground (Grisly High #1)
  • Human Sister
  • Twin-Bred (Twin-Bred #1)
  • Scott Nicholson Library, Vol. 1 (Boxed Set)
  • The Frenzy Way (The Frenzy Wolves, #1)
  • Rivals
  • MoonFall (MoonFall Series Book 1)
  • The Collector of Names
  • NorthWest (John Hazard, #2)
  • Dust
  • Cry Baby Hollow
  • Taken
  • A Larger Universe
  • World-Mart
I’ve had a lifetime love of science fiction and horror. I suspect it started in puberty since most obsessions do. My passion for it was so strong as a youth that, young and penniless, I resorted to boosting copies of my favorite authors’ works off the shelves of the book section of the local Federal’s department store. My friends and I soon had a collection of great sci-fi at discounted prices to ...more

Dominant Species (3 books)
  • Edge Effects (Dominant Species, #2)
  • Acquired Traits (Dominant Species, #3)