Start by marking “Perfect Recipes for Having People Over” as Want to Read:
Perfect Recipes for Having People Over

Perfect Recipes for Having People Over

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  219 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Having your friends over is no big deal when you have the perfect recipe, one that's not only foolproof but simple and that fits into your hectic schedule. In her new cookbook, Pam Anderson shares nearly 200 perfectly convenient dishes, including

* Lacy Cheddar Crisps -- An irresistible one-ingredient hors d'oeuvre, ready in 10 minutes.

* Oven-Barbecued Pork -- Slow-cooked f
Published September 14th 2005 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Recipes for Having People Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Recipes for Having People Over

Jane Dugger
This recipes are OK. I can't envision myself making any of them.
❇ Critterbee
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookery
I like the way that this cookbook is composed; basically, it is an effective entertaining menu preparation guide.

Each dish has a long introduction, and a large amount of information on what to serve the dish with, how to vary it, when it should be served, how far ahead to make it, how it should be stored, and optional shortcuts for making the preparation easier. It is a wealth of information that will help anyone preparing for a dinner party, or for making a complete menu for family dining.

One s
Emily
Nov 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Meh. Pretty pictures, good ideas for "extra" info like shortcuts, variations, companion dishes and what to do with leftovers. But many of the recipes use ingredients that I just never have on hand. Apple jelly, hominy, cornichons? And while the recipes mentioned how far ahead you could make elements of the dish (which could definitely be useful), none of them said how long the recipe would take to prep, assemble, or cook (which would be even more useful).

I did jot down about a half dozen recipes
Sundry
Oct 02, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
Yes, I really did read it. The intro and the headers to the recipes, and skimmed or read all the recipes. Have already tried four of them.

The perfect roast chicken wasn’t at all, so that has shaken my confidence a bit. And although there are lots of details regarding how far in advance you can make each recipe, there is no info regarding how much prep and total cooking time are required. Seems a rather big flaw in a book about planning ahead!

An interesting tip, though, for getting poultry skin c
Anastasia Tuckness
Sep 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: danielle, amy
Shelves: adult, nonfiction
Really, one of the top cookbooks I've ever come across. Most recipes have pictures, and each recipe has extensive notes that are really helpful when entertaining and otherwise--menu options, makeahead ideas, leftovers, shortcuts, variations--and that's for every single recipe.

I tried several recipes from the book and they were all good. I found more of them online and bookmarked them for future times. I would buy this book if I saw it for sale used, and I don't buy many cookbooks (although I lov
Leah Colleen Worley
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Wise words from Pam Anderson: "Deciding when to have people over can be a little like waiting for the perfect time to get married or have a baby or buy a house: you may never get around to doing it if you delay until all the conditions are right."

The Oven-Barbecued Pork for Sandwiches (p. 17) is probably the best pork barbecue I've had. Very simple with no processed ingredients (except for Dijon mustard). Her Chicken Chili recipe looks very promising. I'll probably try that next.
Linda Hartlaub
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Great cookbook for entertaining and simply for family recipes. The author includes a lot of sides, salads and desserts that are simple and interchangeable with the main dishes. Another great book form Pam Anderson.
Natasha
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love Pam Anderson's approach here. Figure out the big stuff, what tricks may make it easier to prepare for your entertaining plans, and then fill in with other noshes, sides, etc. I've made a lot of the recipes here and liked them all. Nice photography, useful book. Definitely recommended.
Miss Clark
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking-baking
Mshideleff
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites
Heather Key
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Marian
Mar 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cook
I bought three Pamela Anderson cookbooks based on a positive review and cookbook list on Amazon. I must say that they were all just okay, nothing special .
Sierra
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Love, love, love this cookbook!
Minna
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am going to be making SO MANY THINGS from this...
Pam Anderson is amazing. Her recipes are so approachable, and actually sound good, too. Can't wait!
Manintheboat
Apr 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
If your guests are people who eat meat and pork....

The multiple versions of soups and suggestions for sides made this book.
Mckinley
Jan 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Best Make-Ahead Recipe
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • How to Break an Egg: 1,453 Kitchen Tips, Food Fixes, Emergency Substitutions, and Handy Techniques
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • The Frankies Spuntino Kitchen Companion  Cooking Manual
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • Don't Panic: More Dinner's in the Freezer - A Second Helping of Tasty Meals You Can Make Ahead
  • Good Meat: The Complete Guide to Sourcing and Cooking Sustainable Meat
  • The Best of America's Test Kitchen 2007: The Year's Best Recipes, Equipment Reviews, and Tastings
  • Pure Dessert
  • Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make
  • Dairy Hollow House Soup & Bread Cookbook
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • More From Magnolia: Recipes from the World Famous Bakery and Allysa Torey's Home Kitchen
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Jacques Pépin More Fast Food My Way
PAM ANDERSON is the author of the best-selling The Perfect Recipe, Perfect Recipes for Having People Over, and the New York Times bestseller The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great. She has been the food columnist for USA Weekend for the last eight years, is a contributing chef to Fine Cooking and Runners World, and writes a weekly blog for the Asheville (North Carolina) Citizen-Time ...more
More about Pam Anderson...