Start by marking “Come the Fear (Richard Nottingham, #4)” as Want to Read:
Come the Fear (Richard Nottingham, #4)

Come the Fear

(Richard Nottingham #4)

Published August 30th 2012 by Creme de la Crime

To ask other readers questions about Come the Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come the Fear

Soul Survivor
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying the setting and main character of this series : Constable Richard Nottingham i 1730s Leeds , England . The books are somewhat dark and slow-moving , appropriate for the times .
The Deputy , John Sedgwick , is an important character , and each book introduces others that are in the position of 'Constable's men' . I guess the genre is medeval police procedural ? Not quite a 5-star but much better than a 3 .
Kathleen
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"With the discovery of a young woman’s charred and blackened body, Richard Nottingham tackles his most disturbing case yet March, 1733."

As always, this series is just superb, so very riveting to read. The period detail is fine and surely all the Leeds city history is perfect. As Chris Nickson says: "Why Leeds? It's where I was born and raised, and that puts a place in your bones."

He also says: "The books are about more than murder. They're about the people of Leeds and the way life
D.J.
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book lives up to the standard of the three that precede it in this Constable Nottingham series. The characters are robust and their stories are compelling. Some of the new characters were disturbing to the point of making me wish I could shield my eyes with my fingers in the way I do when watching a TV show or movie that disconcerts me to the same degree. The familiar characters have all developed into such endearing individuals that they feel like distant family that I love to visit despit ...more
Sallee
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the first one of the Richard Notingham mysteries I've read. I look formard to reading the prior ones. Come the Fear is fast paced with the Constable Nottinham and his deputy constable, Sedgewick and Rob Lister, a contable who is in love with Emily, Constable Nottingham's daughter. There are thieves, whores, kidnapping, politics and the rich that disregard human rights. All in all, a great book with a SHOCKING ending that I wasn't prepared for. I hope the author Chris Nickson has another ...more
Judith Shadford
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
The pacing is modest, but so thorough that Nickson's work makes "page turners" cheesy. Nickson has built families--the Nottinghams, the Sedgwicks, Rob Lister and young Emily Nottingham. Picking up with their lives is warm, welcoming. The other families, those with money and no integrity, those with nothing except integrity, the street girls who keep each other despite their trade, the hideous wretches that also inhabit Leeds. It's a whole world--one where the law buckles on their swords to make ...more
Linda Lanoue
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chris Nickson is a skilled author of historical novels, and really makes one feel the aura of the time and place. The ending kept me from giving this one 5 stars.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

POSSIBLE SPOILER FOLLOWS

I wish authors would have the confidence to rely on their writing ability to get people to read their next books, rather than resorting to cliffhanger endings. A few loose ends are fine, but major cliffhangers smack of cheap manipulation. I like novels, not tel
Cybercrone
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
The characters in these are filling in well and taking on some life.

Enjoyable read.
Tuck
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: europa, noir
another murder mystery and police procedural in leeds in 1733. author is good at evoking the minutia of life in england, cold, dirty, and incorporates the marco-history of increasingly industrialized, in leeds specially the wool fabric manufacturing and selling. the rich dudes getting richer, the workers being exploited and squeezed.
then there is the idea of mens rights over womens lives, whether the rich dude in his mcmancsion fucking the maids, poor dudes in the bar fucking the maids, or
Vanderlleef
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I couldn't put this book down! The Richard Nottingham series makes you feel as if you are living in 18th century Leeds--which as depressing as it is, is a nice break from reality. This is the third book in the series. Character development deepens with each book, and by the time I finished this book I was fully invested in the lives of the main characters. One thing that I particularly like is that Nickson isn't afraid to get rid of some of the integral characters. While I am sad (at times) to s ...more
Spuddie
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has become one of my very favorite historical mystery series, despite the fact that it is set in a time period a little beyond my usual favorite. (It's set in the 1730's in Leeds...I am more drawn to the medieval period, generally.) The characters are well-fleshed, the mysteries are interesting and the writing is easy to read and very evocative.

Looking forward to the next one!
Brenda Selner
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"We thought you were sick," when I didn't get to school at my usual time. No, I couldn't stop reading this book - historical fiction and crime story set in 1700s England. Missing child, ghastly murder of young pregnant woman, and more. Wonder what happened next??
Nicola
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked the characters and plot of this and "The Constant Lovers," and read them both quickly. My only complaint is some of the language sounds anachronistic to me. I did not note down any examples. That said, it's an interesting read that clearly evokes the time period.
Lois Freeman
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Best, most looked forward to books I've read in a long time! BUT...shocking ending doesn't even begin to cover it....please, please, please say its's not so!
Patricia O'Sullivan
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great addition to the series in which Nickson explores how the law favors those with wealth.
Violet
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Another great Richard Nottingham novel. Chris Nickson's mysteries will keep you wanting more Richard Nottingham novels to read. Chris ranks with the best of the mystery writers."
Dy
Sep 05, 2016
Gaye Elder
Jul 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I'm a novelist and music journalist, the author of many books set between the 1730s and 1950s in Leeds, as well as others in medieval Chesterfield and 1980s Seattle.

Above all, though, its Leeds I love, the people, the sense of the place changing with time. Yes, I write mysteries, but ultmiateoly they're books about people and their relationships, and the crime becomes a moral framework

Richard Nottingham (7 books)
  • The Broken Token (Richard Nottingham, #1)
  • Cold Cruel Winter (Richard Nottingham, #2)
  • The Constant Lovers (Richard Nottingham, #3)
  • At The Dying of The Year (Richard Nottingham, #5)
  • Fair and Tender Ladies (Richard Nottingham, #6)
  • Free from All Danger (Richard Nottingham, #7)