Start by marking “Salvation” as Want to Read:
Salvation

Salvation

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  1,007 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
A smart, unexpected romance from an award-winning author.

Salvador Resendez--Salva to his friends--appears to have it all. His Mexican immigrant family has high expectations, and Salva intends to fulfill them. He's student body president, quarterback of the football team, and has a near-perfect GPA. Everyone loves him.

Especially Beth Courant, AKA the walking disaster area.
Published January 10th 2013 by Speak

To ask other readers questions about Salvation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salvation

Anne Osterlund
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Quirky Thoughts From the Author:

I first met Salva and Beth in the middle of a collision. Papers, pencils, the contents of Beth’s backpack, and point of view everywhere!

Yet neither of them bothered to introduce themselves. Oh, no; they were both far too busy telling me about each other. According to her, he was one of those “patronizing--and annoying--organized people.” And according to him, she was “the walking disaster area.”

There was plenty of evidence to support both claims. Though I got no n
Marla Mei
I thought this book wasn't gonna elicit any special feelings from me that I was so ready to start my review with "Oh, I've read this plot a thousand times already and this one is no different nor any better." How I would've regretted it because those last chapters, man! THEY MADE ME BAWL MY EYES OUT LIKE A BABY.

Salvation made me cry and made my heart hurt and I could blame it on the fact that I was having my period when I read this but I'd be totally lying if I said that.

This book may not be on
A. Bookzilla.
Well, well, well.
Here's a little gem I didn't expect.

First I have to gush about the cover. I love meaningful covers. And meaningful titles that actually relate to the story.

Beth and Salvador are a very unlikely couple. She's basically a wallflower, a bookish, smart and silent girl that has had a crush on Salva for four plus years. But behind her quiet demeanor is a fierce, passionate young woman with strong beliefs. I loved the effect she had on Salva, the way she was always making him be the be
Jude
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Salvation is Anne Osterlund's first Contemporary YA novel, and for it being her debut in the genre I think it is excellent. First, I was really impressed with how Osterlund really captured the pressure and struggles many Mexican families have to go through. Being a Mexican myself, I found it incredibly easy to sympathize with Salvador, and I really think that everyone will be able to relate to him.

Salvador is a really smart boy, he has done everything that was expected of him. He is the golden b
Elevetha
This was so disappointing. Maybe when I have calmed down and stopped sobbing over just how betrayed I felt that this book kinda sucked, I will be able to actually write a review.

First off, the setting. So modern. Very different. Not a bad thing by itself. But with all these "modern" characters that are so...ugh. I mean, all of them are or at one time (except Beth) have been sleeping around. They're crude and annoying. Not very likable.

Salva and his friends are Catholic though they sure as shoot
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those looking for diversity in YA fiction
My very favorite thing about Salvation is the subject matter. As we readers know, YA fiction tends to focus on a particular type of character: white and upper middle class. Sure, there's nothing wrong with those sorts of character, but there are a lot more types of people in the world, and fiction is meant to reflect life.

In Salvation, both of the main characters, Salva and Beth are both very poor, but very bright, standing a chance to get out of their town, where most people work at the onion f
Candace
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For me, while this wasn't an issue book, it was a very powerful read. And an important one. The thing that really hit me hard and made me think so much was that Salva is from an immigrant family. His parents got Visa's so they're legal, but they don't necessarily have anything easy. His father works incredibly hard so that Salva can study hard and be the best he can be. And Salva is the head of the class, the most popular, the smartest, the class president... the list goes on. But Salva's mother ...more
Dunja *a chain reader*
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Salvation is a YA romance novel, but it is so much more. It goes so beyond: boy meets girl, they fall in love, they overcome all the obstacles … happy end. A foremost because it is dealing with some really important contemporary social issues; like immigrants and their status and position in USA.

Salvation is not just a YA romance novel; it is also a coming of age story, story about prejudices. It is also the story about reaching your full potentials and that fear is the worst restrain mechanism
Zoe and the Edge
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Zoe and the Edge by: A. Bookzilla.
Shelves: ya, romance
Life was unfair, and sometimes that wasn't a bad thing.

This is such a gorgeous story. Salva and Beth are both smart. They both want to make something more for themselves and are extremely poor. They both have harsh parents. They share a lot in common but at school they're at opposite ends of the social hierarchy. Their romance moves slowly and skips large sections of time. I was okay with that.

Salva is a high-achiever. He excels in academics, sports, and in the looks department. He's Mexican.
Emily (Falling for YA)
My favorite thing about the novel was that the ending came out of nowhere. It was not at all what I was expecting and just as I was getting to know the characters and what to expect Osterlund changed the game and made me reevaluate everything. It is writing like this that takes me completely by surprise that I fall in love with and I think that is why I loved Salvation so much, it took me by surprise.

The book centers around Beth described as the “walking disaster area” and Salvador “Salva” who i
Kristi
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a big fan of Anne Osterlund. I’ve read all of her other novels and truly enjoy them. She is a talented writer and I’m always completely engrossed in her stories. While Salvation was beautifully written, I didn’t connect with the story or the characters as much as I usually do in Osterlund’s novels.

I loved the concept of the story. Two very different characters, both working diligently to overcome personal obstacles and better their lives, and falling in love in the process. They were both ve
Anu CN
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
ok! dat was different!
and definitely NOTHING like the 'Perfect Chemistry' series i was expecting!

it was more than just romance
it was more about Salva and his struggle to find his 'salvation'
story line is pretty neat
dint go as i predicted at all
so it ensured i read through the entire book just to know what happens next
Beth and Salva were really cute
i really hope the long distance works for them

that being said, as much as i try to ignore it or stay in denial, the book lacked the 'oomph' factor
i m
Yona
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book left me speechless. It was just amazing.

The connection with the characters was immediate, i could feel their emotions. When Salva and Beth had to do the scene in the school cafeteria my tummy was twisting with nerves as I was there with them, and when a book can make you feel this way it's really worth reading.

I've read all of Anne Osterlund books and I loved every one of them.
Booknut
Nothing like Spanish phrases mingled with an adorable love story to snuggle with on a warm January day.

There's just something about Mexican characters. Whether it's the lingo, their swagger, their passionate nature or the food (my stomach growled in that scene where Salva's sister makes tamales - yum!!) but they're a winning part of any book. 'Salvation' was no exception :D

Review to come :)
Liz Fichera
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sweet but dealt with some serious issues. I got totally swept up into Salva and Beth's love story. What happens next?? This story needs a sequel.
Lindy
When I first saw the cover of Salvation and read the synopsis, I knew that this was a story that I had to read. This story was about Salva, and his life experiences that lead him to a journey of self-discovery, and self-realization about the person he wanted to be, and the person that he had to be. His whole life, Salva had been looked up to, and respected by both his peers, and his elders. He was a people pleaser, and most important in his life, was to make his father proud by fulfilling his fa ...more
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Overview of Novel: Beth is known as the walking disaster. She has a knack for running into people, for not fitting in, and just for blending in the background. Salva is the opposite. He's popular, football captain and student body president. Basically, he's everything Beth isn't.

But Beth has had a crush on him for years. He's never noticed her. And then when they are in AP English, her paper gets read out loud and Salva gets a D. Suddenly Slava is noticing her. He con
Rachmi
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I always love reading story with opposite characters. Although there are many books with story like this, I never get enough reading it. And what could be more interesting reading a book about a quiet nerd girl who falls in love with a popular school athlete boy.

Salva is a son from Mexican immigrant. His father believes in order to improve their live he has to have good education. So he makes his way to became valedictorian, he also a talented athlete. Unlike his friends, he wants to pursuit it
diana
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Salvation is one of the many books I have been looking forward to reading this year (and that made me really giddy when I started reading it).

What you should know about me is that I’m a hopeless romantic – especially so when it comes to books. I love a romance that takes time and makes one feel like there’s nothing more beautiful than to love and to be loved.
One of the things I liked in Salvation is how the romance played out - it didn’t feel forced or fake in any way and the interactions betwe
YAGeekess
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I started reading this book, I thought I knew where the story was heading. It had all the right flavors- a popular guy named Salvador, “the walking disaster area” called Beth who's been nursing a crush on him for years and a bitchy ex-girlfriend Char.

You could figure out right from the word go that Salva was the type of guy who never spoke up. I had a few "nails on the chalkboard" kind of moments in the first few chapters with Char. Man, how desperate could she get?

Be a gentleman,
Jo
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am already a big fan of Ms. Osterlund's books. I not only buy a copy for myself but I buy copies for the library where I work. One of the best things about Osterlund's writing is I have no problem recommending her books to both the teens I work with or their parents. She has a way of writing amazing chemistry between the main characters while keeping them PG friendly.

That being said I was really excited when I found out that Salva one her main characters is Mexican. I don't really try to read
Aubree
Aug 01, 2012 marked it as to-read
I have marked this book as to read because I have enjoyed the author's other books.
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
Not what I was expecting, but still a decent/good read. Review to follow.
Karen Johnson
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was close to a 5 for me. I read it a while ago and have had it in my 8th-grade classroom since it was published.

I liked the basic story and the characters, and I especially liked that it is about a Mexican immigrant family who isn't the typical troubled kid often portrayed. I also liked that anyone can enjoy reading the book regardless of gender or ethnicity.

It's also highly readable for 8th-graders.

The one thing I don't like is the cover. I know the author usually doesn't have control over
Sierra Abrams
Received: ARC via author
Rating: 4/5 stars
Recommended to: 15+

SUMMARY -
Salva Resendez has his life together - or so it seems to everyone else. He's student body president, smarter than most, and popular among all. But what people don't know are this struggles: his hardships with his father, arguments with his siblings, and his broken heart because of his mother's death.
And then the
Anncleire
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Un libro molto carino, sulle minorità, con un tocco di spagnolo che mi ha ricordato la tesi di mia sorella sullo spanglish, la diversità, il fatto che si possono raggiungere i sogni, che basta impegnarsi, che la meritocrazia ha un'importanza che non si può dimenticare, perchè lottare ha un'importanza unica.

Recensione anche sul mio blog:

“Salvation” è entrato nelle cose da leggere grazie a @Chiandissa quando nel 2012 ci siamo scambiate una marea di libri dur
Petra Sýkorová
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ani pořádně nevím, co mě přimělo po téhle knize sáhnout. Nejspíš to byla samotná autorka, která mi ji ke čtení doporučila (i když ta mi za tu dobu, co ji mám v přátelích, doporučila hodně knih). Líbila se mi anotace a ani recenze nezněly nijak špatně a jelikož mám zrovna období, kdy jsem naladěná spíše na romance, sáhla jsem po knize ráda. I když jsem nevěděla, co mě tak úplně čeká.

Salva se od smrti své milované matky nemůže tak úplně vzpamatovat a snaží se plnit vše, co svému otci na očích vidí
Erin
Dec 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Never have I been so disappointed in a book before. I loved Anne Osterlund's three previous books, so I was really excited about Salvation. When I read the little blurb on the back I was surprised. Anne Osterlund's other books were set in fictional places but Salvation was not. I was okay with that just surprised.

The book centers around Salvador (Salva) Resendez and Beth Courant.
Salva is known as Mr. Perfect at his school. He is really smart, on the football team, president of a club, and he's g
StinaMadsMN
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
❦❦❦❦- 4 Floral Hearts!
We've Fallen and There's No Going Back!

THE STORY:
Salva Resendez has it all - he's the quarterback of the football team and the student body president, and everyone loves him - but his Mexican immigrant family has very high expectations for his future. When he gets a failing grade on an AP English paper, he asks his classmate and the person with the highest grade in class, Beth Courant to help him figure out where he went wrong with h
Amelia
Originally posted on The Authoress: Book Review and More.

Salvation set a fire under me the very moment I found out that it existed. I fell head over heels in love with Anne Osterlund's previous books, Academy 7 and Aurelia (and later, Exile). So I knew beforehand that Salvation was very likely to win my heart. And it did. From page one, I was captured. Enthralled, really, by the main characters and the story that wove around them. I liked how Romeo & Juliet it was without seeming like a chee
Anne Osterlund Fans: Salvation 2 16 Jan 18, 2013 07:51AM
  • Falling For You
  • Hooked (Hooked, #1)
  • Nobody But Us
  • Our Song
  • Uses for Boys
  • Dear Cassie (Pretty Amy, #2)
  • Risk the Night
  • Sanctuary of Mine
  • Stand Tall, They'll Break Your Heart
  • A Place to Rest My Heart
  • Chasing After Infinity
  • Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)
  • Me, Him, Them, & It
  • Only for You (Unforgettable You, #1)
  • All the Right Moves
  • Burnt Snow
  • White Lines
  • When Water Burns (Telesa, #2)
Anne Osterlund grew up in the sunshine of Eastern Oregon and graduated from Whitworth College. She lives in a cute little yellow house with her best feline friend, Simba, and her own library of young adult books. She enjoys immersing her students in language, literature, and imagination. Anne has written five novels: Aurelia, Exile, Redemption, Academy 7, and Salvation. She has dreams of many more ...more
More about Anne Osterlund...

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99

“I read nonfiction."

She reared back as if offended.”
11 likes
“He clung to her for his very soul. Until at last his pulse slowed to match hers.” 3 likes