Start by marking “Zypheria's call (Tanyth Fairport, #2)” as Want to Read:
Zypheria's call (Tanyth Fairport, #2)

Zypheria's call (Tanyth Fairport #2)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  560 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Sometimes the longest journeys are within.

Tanyth must make her way across the ocean to continue her voyage to find the hermit of Lammas Wood. Storms and ice block her path, but her most serious enemy may be people she has never met.

As her power grows, she must come to grips with the changes within her even as she must answer the Zypheria's Call.
ebook
Published October 2012

To ask other readers questions about Zypheria's call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zypheria's call

Lara
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-2015
I love how Lowell writes. He takes the mundane and day to day, and makes you feel like you are enjoying the journey. While normally I'm not a fan of foreshadowing, in this series it happens in a way that the main character knows is foreshadowing, just not how to interpret it. So, at times I get a little impatient, but she manages to get things done anyway. This book had a bit less action and suspense than the previous one, as Tanith gets ready to go north to find her last teacher. There are some ...more
Betsy
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Betsy by: nathan lowell
This is the second in the Tanyth Fairport series, a charming fantasy about a middle aged herb woman who is traveling the world in search of additional knowledge about her craft and who seems to be developing strange abilities as she enters menopause.

This second installment is not quite as exciting as the first one was -- the dangers, though real, are a little less urgent. But that's okay, I don't want every book to have the same plot.

Characters are good. I know it's sexist of me to be surprise
Dan
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable!
Steve
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing

A Great book my only complaint is that it ended. I wanted more. Nathan Lowell has done it again a fabulous story that is about the Characters and an Average world where the magic does not need to be spectacular to carry a well written story. I love the way Nathan can find the real drama of everyday life , be it here on a earth like world or out in the Deep dark on a Solar Clipper. He writes where we all live and hits a cord in your soul that every life is an adventure no matter what you do.

Hop
Icepick
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think the reason Lowell's books are so compelling is that there is a simple sincerity to the narrative. In the contract between author and reader, he knows how to gain your trust and keep it. Like a hot cup of tea against a cold, wet, New Englad day, he doesn't promise he'll make everything all right. He just warms you and helps you keep moving forward. Which is fulfilling in its own way.
Alice Sabo
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love visiting with Tanyth. Nathan Lowell is my latest favorite author. This book is about a small group of people and how they get on with their lives. There's a hint of magic and lots of homespun wisdom. A touch of danger livens things up, but not enough to disturb. It is a lovely meander if you are looking for a warm, quiet book.
Carlissa
This is one of my favorite fantasy series and definitely worth re-reading multiple times!
Julie Davis
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nathan Lowell has a talent for writing what I think of as adult books that are like Heinlein juveniles. There are people with quests or problems but details of the tasks at hand often get as much attention as the plot. Coffee making, ship sailing, trading between cultures, and many other details of life and business can become absorbing in their own right.

And, for me, it completely works. It doesn't seem like it should, but it really works.

This is the second book about Tanyth Fairport, who shoul
Fayley
I cared enough about Mother Fairport to read this second book in the series, but it wasn't in the same league as book 1. The dialogue fell completely out of character and slipped into the semi-sarcastic playful style that is obviously Mr Lowell's comfort zone. In parts the dialogue could have been cut and pasted from his Solar Clippers series, and like that series, all (or most) of the insights and observations on humanity were restricted to book 1, this sequel was just a plot follow through. Un ...more
S.H. Jucha
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gaia
Continuing the story of Tanyth, who has found a home, if a temporary one, that gives her respite from her time on the road. What continues as a powerful sub-text is Tanyth's discovery of her connection to healing powers that she continues to deny, but that the villagers see and develop a powerful respect for her capabilities. The story is a focus of the character development of Tanyth.
Keith Hughes
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This was a great sequel to Ravenwood. The story was moving, interesting, and unexpected. I look forward to the next installment, even as I'm sad it'll be a ways down the road.
PapaTrain
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Old Salts and new sea legs

Very enjoyable read leaves me looking forward to #3 The Hermit of Lammas Wood. The characters were well filled out and interesting enough that I hope there is or will be book available about the travels of the good ship Zypheria's Call
DDog
This is not an exciting book, but a very satisfying one.
Ernest
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Though I've seen other reviews that feel the second in Lowell's Taynth Fairport series, which features and older woman seeking out the last teacher in a twenty one year quest to learn about herb lore and healing, doesn't hold up to the first, Ravenwood, but I don't buy it.

IN Zypheria's call, the author gets to blend this take with his love of the sea and skill at writing about small ships and close crews. If you've read his Solar Clipper series, you'll find an echo of the life aboard a trading
Barbara
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
3 1/2 stars.

I really enjoy this author's work and this series in particular. This is not heroic fantasy with long lost heirs saving the world from some dire fate. Here, while the main characters aren't exactly ordinary, they aren't implausible either. Just the slightly smarter than average, more strong willed than average or just plain more decent and considerate than average person you sometime meet in real life. They aren't trying to save the world either, just make the best of the challenges
Long
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but a bit predictable

The book was a good continuation of the first, but it was also a bit too linear. The encounters were more or less predictable. The characters are shaping up nicely, and the hint of something greater threaded through the story. It ended at a good point, and I was unsure if I would get the next.
Steve Lundh
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nathan Lowell is one of my favorite authors and the Tanyth Fairport series is vastly different from his Amazing Solar Clipper series but so well written. This was the second book in the series and the story became richer and the characters deeper. Lowell"s writing is so comfortable and a great addition to the Fantasy genre. Really fun read.
Robert Marshall
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recent-reads
In my opinion author Lowell is a grand master story teller. This continuation of his Tanyth Fairport series is great. It keeps the reader’s interest throughout and is almost impossible to put down. I consider the series equal to, or even greater than, the fantasy series’ by McMaster-Bujold and Turtledove. I look forward to reading the next published book, and hope that there is more to come.
Jack
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The second Tanyth Fairport book. Well worth your time.

Tanyth has wintered in Ravenwood (which see). Now she's ready to travel north on her original quest for herbal and other lore. She winds up with a travelling companion as winter releases its grip on the northern waters. The warm west wind, Zypheria, breaks up the ice and Tanyth is off on an ocean voyage.
Casey
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tanyth's tale continues

Would that there were more like Tanyth and they were in my world.
She is a woman of amazing strength and power who sees herself as simply different from what is expected of women.
Linda
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the second story about Tanyth Fairport and although not as action packed as the first, it had its moments. I was a bit disappointed to have got to the end of the story so fast but that just means I get to find out what happened next all the quicker.
Jai Baidell
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved this sequel to Ravenwood, especially the excitement of the ship voyage. There was a bit more tension in this story, and the bad guys were more convincing. Great description of the storm, and of the frontier town that is their destination. I enjoyed this book very much.
Carlissa
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is my 2nd time reading this ebook, and I loved it just as much if not more the second time around! Can't wait for the third book in the series (Hermit of Lammas Wood).
Alison
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I was disappointed with this book having read the first in this series and enjoyed it. The pace is extremely slow and although the characters are likeable there wasn't one I really felt drawn to.
Lois
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book
Barry
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I have not read a book by Nathan Lowell that I have not loved. This sequel to Ravenswood was no exception. I can't wait for the next book.
Sue
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the stories of Tanyth's adventures. Even written from a man's perspective. I'll be anxious to read the next installment.
Jay Friedlander
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
An excellent sequel to Ravenwood. You can tell Lowell spent time aboard ship as well, there was a definite shift in his writing once on a familiar topic.
Don Anderson
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

A great story as all of his are about people. Ordinary people.....not really. Nice people worth telling a tale about.....YES.
Richard Healey
Jul 09, 2013
  • Wizard's Moon
  • The Secret of Abdu El-Yezdi (Burton & Swinburne, #4)
  • The Detective
  • The Onset (Contamination #1)
  • The Bird of the River (Lord Ermenwyr, #3)
  • Non-Electric Boogaloo (Pennsylvania #2)
  • The Apocalypse Ocean (Xenowealth #4)
  • Into Everywhere
  • The Colonists (Movement Trilogy, #2)
  • Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
  • Engraved on the Eye
  • The Lost Islands (Explorer, #2)
  • The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse
  • The Ace of Skulls (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #4)
Nathan Lowell has been a writer for more than forty years, and first entered the literary world by podcasting his novels. His sci-fi series, The Golden Age of the Solar Clipper grew from his long time fascination with space opera and his own experiences shipboard in the United States Coast Guard. Unlike most works which focus on a larger-than-life hero (prophesized savior, charismatic captain, or ...more
More about Nathan Lowell

Tanyth Fairport (3 books)
  • Ravenwood (Tanyth Fairport, #1)
  • The Hermit of Lammas Wood (Tanyth Fairport, #3)