Start by marking “Butterfly Hunter” as Want to Read:
Butterfly Hunter

Butterfly Hunter

(Butterfly Hunter #1)

It started as a simple assignment for Aussie bush guide Dave Taylor – escort a lone Englishman in quest of an unknown species of butterfly.

However Nicholas Goring is no ordinary tourist, his search is far from straightforward, and it’s starting to look as if the butterflies don’t want to be found.

As Dave teaches Nicholas everything he needs to survive in the Outback he
Published August 1st 2012 by Manifold Press

To ask other readers questions about Butterfly Hunter, please sign up.
Marge I really chuckled over Dave's affair with the Land Cruiser. (Is that a Landrover SUV? That's what I imagined it as.) Is that based upon anyone you…moreI really chuckled over Dave's affair with the Land Cruiser. (Is that a Landrover SUV? That's what I imagined it as.) Is that based upon anyone you know? Or just men in general? LOL

On a more serious note--is the butterfly based on any actual myth, legend, or discovery in the area? (less)

Start your review of Butterfly Hunter
Vio
Okay, I think I’ve died and gone to butterfly heaven, a breathtaking part of the Aussie bush, a surreal and magical place. Spiritual and beloved these fragile, magnificent blue butterflies live and thrive. A wondrous and lovely moment for me was the absolute look of joy and awe on Nicholas's face when he first locked eyes on the little beauties. An unforgettable experience and of course the dreaded tears appeared.

There is a gentle beauty in Nicholas and Dave's relationship and during their
Susan
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Susan by: Kate

Excuse me as I try to type while hugging myself holding this book...

Guess what book just quietly snuck its way on to my FAVORITES shelf – yup...BUTTERFLY HUNTER!

I loved this book. Sweet and kind and gentle and endearing…with 2 of the most charming MC’s ever – Davey, an Australian tour guide and Nicholas, a son of an English earl, out to find a rumored, yet undiscovered breed of butterfly. Admittedly, it doesn’t sound like the most interesting, captivating story. But think 2 gorgeous MC’s, with
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This is a GORGEOUS and LYRICAL story. The caps don't do it justice. It's butterflies and dreams and KISSING. Lots of kissing.

The writing is pure poetry, and this is by far the most believable GFY I've ever read. Really, it's an, I breathe for you, I've waited my whole life for you.

It just UNFOLDS, and you're powerless to stop it. Don't even try.
Ami
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ami by: Simsala

"You matter to me. If not to the sky..." (Chapter 3)

The story makes me feel oddly nostalgic; which is weird because I have never been to Australia or experience hunting for butterflies. But there is something from the story that transcends the words and the pages, and reaches out to me, and holds my heart and doesn't let go.

It is probably the tentativeness of Dave as he discovers his first experience of falling for a man. It is probably the sheer joy that Nicholas spreads around with
Macky
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Butterfly Hunter is one of those books that on first glance doesn't particularly excite or draw you too it because its cover doesn't contain sexy bare chested hunks or gorgeous guys entwined in a sensual pose. It doesn't even have the edge of your seat blurb promising hot sex scenes or torrid romance... No, its got an orange cover with a line of butterfly stamps on it and a synopsis that sounds mildly interesting about a man looking for butterflies in Australia with the help of an Aussie tour ...more
Simsala
5,5 stars

Sigh.....what a beautiful story!

Review? ...pfffffffff.......
I`m going to bed now, hugging my reader, and dreaming of Aussie blokes, British earlings, the night sky over the Outback, Aboriginal myths, clouds of blue butterflies and wondering how Julie Bozza managed to write such a sappy, soap opera-ish ending without making me run in the other direction...

Note:
"Two men chasing butterflies...."
And my friends had to stub my nose on it.
Thank you Julie, for writing this wonderful book!!!
Mandapanda
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: various-romance
I loved this book for so many reasons. First the lovely romance between bush guide and quintessential Aussie bloke Dave, and his beautiful 'Earling' Nicholas. There were perfect for each other. Both men were lonely and needy but this was portrayed without losing any sense of their masculinity or independence. There were plenty of twists and turns in the story to pull at my heartstrings and the HEA made me cry.

The spiritual touches with the ties to the Dreamtime and the meaning of Land to
Barbara
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Barbara by: Ingie
 photo oie_S8QIm4jA6Njf_zpse982d5c2.jpg

Review

"Even ugly creatures feel love, you know. Even ugly creatures can create beauty."

So so sweet…. Magical, romantic and beautiful put a silly smile on my face!
 photo tumblr_m18uvoIbuy1qciafbo1_500_zps6069121c.gif
The MC are the most gentle and charming, “Blokes” ever, their connection is powerful and delightful romantic , the author writes this unforgettable story, with the spiritual touches of the aboriginal Australia culture, the mystery of the waterhole, and the gorgeous but fragile butterflies...  photo tumblr_m6ymytJAN31qboe9so3_r1_500_zps52381a3d.gif
what a magical place I wish I could go
Ingie
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ingie by: Bev
 photo bbfly_zps7d6e0af5.gif  photo bbfly_zps7d6e0af5.gif  photo bbfly_zps7d6e0af5.gif  photo bbfly_zps7d6e0af5.gif  photo bbfly_zps7d6e0af5.gif

4,5 Winged Stars - Magnificently beautiful and romantic! - I want more blonde (mate) Aussies and flirty, pale English aristocrats in my books to come

A new cozy favorite at only 165 pages - far too short, I want much more. A sequel maybe?

David (Dave) Taylor, an Australian bush guide, get a well paid mission to care for and help the English aristocrat and butterfly lover, Nicholas Goring, to find a unique and until now unknown blue butterfly, the Ogyris davidi, in the Australian
Jewel
What a rare and unexpected gem of a story Butterfly Hunter was. I adored it from beginning to end.

Nicholas Goring, the youngest son of an English Earl has come to Australia in search of a butterfly that may not exist. Nicholas is a bit of a dreamer, though, and through bits and pieces of stories and legends, he has determined that he must try. So he booked a guide for three months in hopes of finding his dream.

David Taylor is the bush guide that was hired to take Nicholas into the Outback. He's
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

A very sweet book, lots to like there. The pace was a bit slow for me. Full review when I'm not impossibly jet lagged.
Feliz
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This story bypassed my conscious brain and went straight to my heart, just the same way a new puppy eases into your bed despite your best intentions, and one morning you wake up to a velvety little snout nestled into the crook of your neck and you wonder how it came to be there, but at the same time you won’t even think about doing something about it because you’re much too blissfully happy to have it right there. Just the same way the love for Nicholas sneaked up to Dave, and when he finally ...more
Bev
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All lovers of Romantic novels
Well, I was pretty much captivated from the start. How can anyone fail to get caught up in this hauntingly beautiful and exquisite love story?? I've never given this rating before but this book thoroughly deserves it!!

The stars of the story are of course the Ogyris davidi or Australian Blue butterflies, and they are particularly dazzling to behold....

photo images92_zpseb49c336.jpg ....

with vivid colours of blue and black, but I have to admit that as far as the characters of the book are concerned, Nicholas was nothing at
Teal
The final straw was when one of the adult male characters was described as skipping and scarpering around the Australian Outback with a gurgling giggle.

Could not return this for a refund fast enough. But return it I did.
Mark
The UK and Australia, two countries on opposite sides of the globe, but then opposites attract and this is the case for Nicholas and Davey.

Starting as a caterpillar, turning into a pupae and then emerging in a blaze of glory, of kaleidoscopic and radiant colour, butterflies go through many stages. The love and attraction between Nicholas and Davey develops in a mirrored image of the life of a butterfly.

blue-morpho

Nicholas, son of a British Earl and very British to the core, but with a wry sense of humour
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Simsala

There is no way I can really describe my feelings about this story adequately, it's such a beautifully written story, it flows and meanders slowly, taking me along for a ride not only to find the illustrious butterflies ...but also Dave's discovery..sometimes you just have to not want to find something, letting go really can open doors.

One of my favorite quotes that sums up a lot of it is :
Nicholas sighed. He was almost calm again now."Because … you can hibernate a very long time in that
Natalie
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One thing I love about Goodreads is the power of word-of-mouth recommendations. This book is a shining example of that. It's a quiet book. There are no big dramas or wild, histrionic emotions. But it's riveting all the same, with a lovely sense of place. The Australian outback might as well be a character itself, and I was captivated by this story of an Englishman and his Australian guide, hunting an elusive blue butterfly species. The evolution of their relationship felt very organic. When Dave ...more
Sheziss
This is ADORABLE.

I don’t even like insects. Everything with more than 4 legs and exoskeleton is must be further than 100m from me. Unless it can be eaten: shellfish.

I’m happy there are no spiders, though.

So, yes, butterflies, lots of butterflies.

I had the feeling I was reading a Jane Austen novel. Not that I ever read one. But I’m talking about the almost naïve perspective this book was written. It’s innocent and pure.

There is no angst here, but not everything is all roses.

Dave is a guide in
Breann
You know those quiet days. Those days where nothing particularly exciting happens and you're able to do the small things you love, but at the end, you sit back and realize that a wonderful day kind of snuck up on you. Completely unintentionally.

That's Butterfly Hunter.

I was totally caught by surprise. I had no idea how hard I fell in love with Nicholas and Dave and their butterflies. No idea.

Sure, I saw all the 4 and 5 star reviews. Sure, I knew that most of my friends loved it. But while I was
Vivian
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-contemp
Who doesn't love butterflies?

Subdued, charming, and a journey. Dave guides tourists around the Outback. His newest client is privileged and adorkable--Nicholas. He's also got a unique quest for his visit. During the search to find the illusive, perhaps mythic blue butterflies both men discover more than they expected.

The metaphor here is simple, elegant, and perfect. The read is a pleasure devoid of hyperbole, and resting on character transformation and the setting--both which are grand enough
Heller
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, contemporary
I really want to read this book but the checkout process at Manifold Press just isn't working for me, I tried a few weeks ago and just now. I was able to get a few of the Manifold books at the other press (Rainbow EPress) that they mentioned on the site but "Butterfly Hunter" wasn't one of the ones available.

Anyone have suggestions? I've been looking around other places to try to find it but no joy so far. Is anyone else having issues? Or is there another press, that I haven't found yet, where
Em
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it was such a beautiful sweet story and although nothing earth shattering happened, it was simply a pleasure to read. I still prefer The Apothecary's Garden because I enjoyed the deep relationship between the two main characters, however this book will always hold a special place in my heart.
MsMiz (Tina)
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbt-all, kindle-mobi
4.5 - Screw work, this book was brilliant.

Okay, back for more and will continue to think on this. I loved it, truth be told. Loved the story, the symbolism, the relationship, location all of it. There were a few bits that fell off at the end, loose ends, that I would have liked to have seen tied up, but it was still such a great story!!
Vanessa North
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vanessa by: Mercedes
When Mercedes recommended this lovely novel, I doubt she knew I have a thing about butterflies. For the curious, Vanessa is my middle name, and it's also the genus name for many species of butterflies, so I've grown up with a sort of whimsical affection for them--having been named after them and all.

This is the story of a man--Nicholas--with a more scientific affection for butterflies, but an affection nonetheless. Like me, he takes a certain philosophical pleasure in the metaphors inherent in
Isabel
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Stunning! Emotional! Beautiful! Magnificent!

David and Nicholas have one of the most beautiful stories that I ever read!

The search of the most beautiful and rare butterfly, became the discovery of Dave's self and his true love... Nicholas!

This book is so well written... it's poetic, magical and will stay with me forever!

What a fabulous BR!!!
Alice
5+ Stars

What I loved
*David - This guy is so perfect! I loved being inside his head, he was just so sweet and funny.
*The setting - So romantic being in the Australian outback just two guys, a tent, butterflies and starry nights.
*Its a character rather than plot driven story

What could be improved
*I wish it was longer - The ending was too quick and perfect. Of course I wanted the HEA, but with a bit less cheese. The whole book before the ending didn't contain much cheese at all, so the ending
Nina
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best things ever.
Poetic but not flowery writing, perfect pace and pitch, well-rounded, lovable characters and all that jazz. There's a hundred other reviewers out there that said way better than I ever could.
BUT. (view spoiler)
Karen
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars rounded down to 4 because still no 1/2 stars here on GR. I've wanted to read this one for ages now and its re-release was the perfect reminder and now I just need to find the time to read the rest of the series...because Nicholas and Davey as just to precious to leave after only one book...full review to follow soonish!

Sometimes it’s what we find when we’re not looking that brings true change and love into our lives....

Dave wasn’t looking for Nicholas…much less love. Everyone knows
A.B. Gayle
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The way I discovered this book and Julie Bozza was eerily like the protagonists discovered the butterflies. I certainly didn't go looking. After hearing about the writer through convoluted means, I trusted my instincts rather than logic and followed a cloud of 5 star ratings that barely showed up against the plethora of five star ratings that stretch from horizon to horizon of the reading world. And I'm so glad I did.

Perhaps it was the shimmer that made her story show up, the unusual cover in a
M
Okay, I'm just going to jump on the bandwagon here and second all the reviews that said this book was lovely. Because it was. Really, really lovely. Set in the Australian Outback and telling the story about an Englishman searching for an elusive creature and guided by an Australian through the bush, I inevitably compared it to Kennedy and Ford's Dash and Dingo, which I loved. But whereas that book was much more focused on the action/adventure aspect of the tale, this one is driven very much by ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
A Million More Pages: 1 - Butterfly Hunter (Butterfly Hunter): May 20 58 36 Jun 13, 2015 09:10AM
BR June 23, with the same girls! Join us! 8 13 Jun 25, 2014 01:44AM

• Tallowwood
  • Cronin's Key (Cronin's Key, #1)
  • Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • Flash Rip
  • Five Dares
  • Guilt by Association (Hazard and Somerset, #4)
  • Imago (Imago, #1)
  • Red Dirt Heart (Red Dirt, #1)
  • Imagines (Imago, #2)
  • Galaxies and Oceans
  • Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil, #2)
  • Paternity Case (Hazard and Somerset #3)
  • Fair Game (All's Fair, #1)
  • Spencer Cohen, Book One (Spencer Cohen, #1)
  • The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks (The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks, #1)
  • The Mermaid Murders (The Art of Murder, #1)
  • Thrown Off the Ice
  • Reasonable Doubt (Hazard and Somerset #5)
Ordinary people are extraordinary. We can all aspire to decency, generosity, respect, honesty – and the power of love (all kinds of love!) can help us grow into our best selves.

I write stories about ‘ordinary’ people finding their answers in themselves and each other. I write about friends and lovers, and the families we create for ourselves. I explore the depth and the meaning, the fun and the

Butterfly Hunter (3 books)
  • Of Dreams and Ceremonies