Start by marking “Through The Years” as Want to Read:
Through The Years

Through The Years

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  209 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
**Reedited and Updated version of a free series written in 2008**

Ethan Holmes and Barry Moffit have been in love since they were kids. These stories -- re-edited for quality content and given a Winterheart Designs cover -- were written in 2008, in part as a protest over the passage of Proposition 8 in California. They follow the course of Ethan and Barry's love affair in
Published July 22nd 2012 by Maxfield Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Through The Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through The Years

Kaje Harper
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This book is divided up into sections over 4 decades, that move us through a tumultuous relationship between two men, from their early days as friends, through the ups and downs of a long relationship. I enjoy established couples, and I liked seeing Barry and Ethan remaking their lives, together and apart. There is a lot of trust, given, broken and reformed here. The men become wiser with age, seeing what really matters in their lives. There are arguments, and making-up, and times of peace.

The
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
We all have our hard limits. Sadly, this book hit mine very early on. There was nothing that could overcome that with me.
Karen
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-mm
I actually read this back in 2008 when it was posted on Ms Maxfield's website but it's a short read and I really like her stuff so I took the time to download this when it showed up on ARe as a free read.

I really enjoyed this the first time and found it every bit as endearing this time around as well. Through the years follows the progression of Ethan and Barry's relationship starting in 1978 at their high school graduation and gives up a glimpse at their lives every 10 years. It's not all heart
Christy
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
"You think you’re going to do the jock thing until you’re through college with some kind of degree, and then you’re going to leave this whole bourgeois suburban ass-clenching shit behind and get me to show you what you’ve been missing while you were playing it straight. No way. Bring it the fuck on, Ethan, or next time someone’s kicking the shit out of me, don’t bother stopping by.”

What an intro to a friendship that's been on-again, off-again since Barry and Ethan were in elementary school. Well
Macky
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Really, really disappointed that I didn't like this because I normally love Z A Maxfield stories ( Crossing Borders is one of the best m/m romances I've read ). It's written well but for some reason I couldn't connect with Barry and Ethan and to be honest found myself zoning out in parts, skimming bits and skipping forward to see if it got any more interesting. Unfortunately for myself it didn't!

From what I can gather the stories from each decade (1978, '88 , '98 and 2008 ) were originally publi
Denise H.
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
*** This one is hard for me to review. I loved the concept, but a few times it fell short for me.
(view spoiler)
These men fall in love at the end of High School, and we see their lives every 10 years. Through activism, ups and downs, misunderstandings, more activism and shared times.
(view spoiler)
⚣❣☙ Cocky™ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
3.4 Stars

I liked the idea of this, but maybe the short decade/chapter kept it from delving deeper into these characters lives and kept me from warming up to the MCs; about the only emotional connection I felt to it was that bit with Ethan's melt-down - because that was heartbreaking. Considering he'd only a few weeks earlier been caught with his pants down (literally) I wanted to hate him and his immaturity (better suited to an 18yr old than a 28yr old) and ridiculous "justification." But I coul
Ami
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love established couples. And I love stories about couples that span for years. Through The Years has that. It is a collection of short stories that are previously being offered for free on Z.A. Maxfield's website. I never read the short stories when they were free, so this collection is new for me.

1978 tells the story of Ethan and Barry in high school. Although Ethan and Barry are good friends, Ethan is part of the jock crowd. Barry, uhm, not so much. Barry oftens use his smart mouth on the j
Tami
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
2,5 stars.

It was between an ok and a nice read - two guys, 30 years, some scenes from their relationship. It was quite short actually and therefore it was lacking a certain depth - the characters remained shallow and vague.

Some of it was a little "meh", and other parts a little "WTF?" - I mean especially (view spoiler)
Crystal
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Provides snap shots of an established couple over a 30 year period, one scene every 10 years. I liked it. Barry's views about marriage align with mine almost exactly. Apart from the comment about straight couples' obligation to be married to protect their children's rights. Didn't really follow that line of thought. Obvs we should all have the right to marry as well as the right to choose not to marry and not be judged for it.
Jerry
I love long term relationships. I love to check in and see how the boys are doing as different elements in life affect them. Love ZAMs work. Loved this short, sometimes bitter, snippets of a long term relationship.
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
As I was reading this one I kept thinking of adjectives that would best describe it. Odd, different, a literary study or a just plain funky styled story about two men who have loved each other their entire lives. It is told in episodes and not much to my dismay, not in chronological order.
Elizabeth
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Book had elements I hate. Cheating is a big no no for me. It's well written and probably could be a novel so for that 3☆☆☆.
Michelle
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wonderful short story about the HEA of childhood friends turned lovers. Like watching a pair of friends grow up and old together. Got teary eyed at their "wedding" in Hawaii.
Maria
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This one surprised me a little bit.

To be honest, I was never part of the hype surrounding ZAM. Simply because I haven't read that many books by this author and I don't think any of them rocked my world very hard. But this little one here was very well written. And I'm a sucker for good stories that are written episodical.

I know that enough readers have their problems with this style. It's not easy to pull off, and when done right, the reader always has to read between the lines a lot. Imaginat
Tammy
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
ZAM is definitely one of my all time favorite authors. I knew going in that this book was just a series of peeks into the life of a couple over the course of time. My only problem is that I wanted more. When each snippet ended I wanted just one more scene to see the continued evolution of the relationship. Can't blame ZAM for this. She was very upfront about the format of the book. I really liked the ending of the book. Even though I always wanted to see what happened next I thought it was very ...more
Shelley Chastagner
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ethan and Barry left me spinning at moments. The opening scene is after a heartbreaking betrayal and breakup. There are flashbacks and jumps forward every ten years so we get to see them in a new light. I loved watching their growth. Ethan starts out as so selfish and narcissistic and by the end he is the polar opposite. He's almost afraid to tell Barry what he truly wants. Barry has tons of depth. He fights for what he believes in, what is right and he won't change or conform to make others mor ...more
Lisa
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
This had potential, but didn't fully deliver. The idea of "visiting" a couple every 10 years was intriguing, but I struggled to get my head round the first decade leap. This in my opinion was the most important, the start of their relationship and we get a few flashbacks when Ethan is caught cheating at age 28......

The remaining two decades show a stronger, committed couple, but I still struggled with Ethan.

The most enjoyable part of the book was the bonus story at the end - The Cursed Noel. Th
Neet
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful little gem that shows us 30 years in a gay couple's life. We meet out and proud Barry and super jock Ethan at their 1978 senior prom. Barry goes their reluctantly, his friendship with Ethan is strained at best. Tempers flair and passion is unleashed and Barry and Ethan are together at last.We follow this couple thru heartaches and heartbreaks, thru anger and passion. Barry & Ethan have faced many challenges in their years, yet still remain together. I love this couple and ...more
A
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Z.A. Maxfield, and I thought this story was sweet. I probably would give it a 3.5 stars but I rounded up to make sure people would read it. Maxfield has explained that this wasn't a novel, but a series of stories throughout decades of the couple's relationship. The characters aren't super fleshed out, and I would've liked to learn more about them. But I understand Maxfield's need to make a political statement and this story does the job.
Interrupted Reader
Barry and Ethan. Super short novella consisting of wonderful, generally endearing snippets into their relationship every ten years over a 30 year period. Revolves around an undercurrent of gay marriage and Proposition 8 (originally written in 2008). Not so much a story as a collage of events.
A, re-read 2/5
2.5 stars!
Ellen
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-books-read
With this concept the book really should've been better, but no. Just... no.
Katherine
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a cute short story that takes place over 30 years. From 1978-2008. There's a lot of story in these 68 pages. I love Ethan and Barry.
4 stars
Jeffery
Feb 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
It's an okay story...but for me it doesn't go anywhere above that.
CB
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great short story. Lovely characters, unique story and a hot m/m romance. Very entertaining!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Reach for the Moon (Alejo and Bobby, #2)
  • Release (Davlova, #1)
  • Big Diehl: Comes A Peace
  • F.A.S.T. Balls (Balls To The Wall, #5)
  • Lost and Found
  • Prove It
  • Going for Gold: M/M Olympic Anthology
  • Ravages
  • Bright (The House on Glass Beach, #2)
  • Heatstroke
  • Out on the Net: A Love Story in Blog Form
  • Restraint
  • A Good Vintage
  • Yes (Vasquez and James #4.5)
  • You're Always in the Last Place You Look
  • Things I'll Never Say
  • The Race for Second
  • From Out in the Cold

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
  • Bittersweet
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Heirs of Grace
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Valorous (Quantum, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tempting Dusty (Temptation Saga, #1)
  • When Never Comes
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures with the Boss (Misadventures, #12)
  • Baby Daddy
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twice Bitten (Argeneau #27)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures of a Good Wife (Misadventures, #6)
  • Calendar Girl: Volume Three
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Storm Warned (Grim, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Real Thing (Sugar Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Pestilence (The Four Horsemen, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Twisted Up (Taking Chances, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forged In Ash (Red-Hot SEALs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Fangs and Fennel (The Venom Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)