Start by marking “Elegantly Wasted (Wasted Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Elegantly Wasted (Wasted Series, #1)

Elegantly Wasted

(Wasted Series)

On the eve of her high school graduation, proper socialite Francesca “Frankie” Fairholm rebelled against her elitist and controlling family to pursue the dark lifestyle of a contract killer for the enigmatic Osiris Corporation. Years later, with her training complete, she believes she's doomed to the life of a sociopathic lone gun until a botched hit brings two unlikely al ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Luna Station Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Elegantly Wasted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elegantly Wasted

Makenna
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read this in less than 24 hours after I bought it, which was moments after it was released. I couldn't put it down!!! I'm proud to have this as a part of my collection, and I hope Cara will sign my kindle! A fantastic journey, with great twists and turns, it's a ride you can't forget!
Amy
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Elegantly Wasted" is a fantastic novel. Full disclosure, I’m lucky enough to be friends with the author – but that doesn’t change the fact that she’s written an amazing novel. And it’s her first novel. How often does an author knock it out of the park on her first at-bat?

Francesca “Frankie” Fairholm is tapped to enter a super-secret society of contract killers fresh out of high school, a society she enters without a qualm – she’s never quite fit into her oh-so-proper family, and Osiris seems to
Dannie Morin
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First and foremost, hurray for new adult contemporary that isn't formulaic as hell!! I love that Frankie doesn't go to college, get piss drunk in an effort to get over her tragically frat-ified high school virginity thief, fall in love with some dark, mysterious, brooding hunk, and get engaged before she earns her MRS degree. I think those are fun reads, don't get me wrong, but when I found out what New Adult "meant," I imagined something beyond American Pie Presents: Beta House. Vescio blows th ...more
Riki
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I love that it is fresh, original, fast-paced, quirky and so much fun. Frankie Fairholm is the perfect main character with a sassy attitude and a foul mouth to boot. She may be an outcast in her own family, but she finds her place working for the enigmatic Osiris Corporation and damn, is she good at it. She is all cynicism and deft sarcasm and is thoroughly likable. I loved the relationship between Frankie and her two cousins Katherine and Addison. It’s a love-hate family dyna ...more
Samantha
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed the story in this book, and fully appreciated the sarcasm and cynicism. I grew to really love the characters and felt that they were fleshed out.

Toward the beginning of the book, I felt that the writing style was too choppy for my taste, but it improved, smoothed out and flowed better as I drew closer to the end of the book. Perhaps it was because there was less passage of time in between, but I felt by the end the author did a fantastic job of pulling the story together.

Al
Christine Steendam
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Just, loved it!

I can’t just say that and end my review there? Okay. Let’s start with the main character, Francesca. She is dark, witty, dry and yet refreshing. She is so real it’s as if she’s sitting in the room telling me the story herself. Add in the mix her cousin’s Addie and Kat, all three different in personality but all suffering under a severely messed up family, and you've got yourself an all star cast.

The plot is fresh, new, and kept me hooked from the instant I opene
Tyler Snell
Oh sweet, hot goodness. I loved Elegantly Wasted. The characters, the plot...all deliciously demented in their own right and completely engaging. It was a fun, exciting ride while reading this sexy action! Elegantly Wasted is a wild, drunk, medicated, murderous, fun ride and I can't wait for the second one! It showed me a family that I could relate to and made me realize that I may have just a hint of a darker side in me.
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing

It was really nice to see a heroine that isn't perfect. Frankie's sarcasm and mistakes make her so much more like someone you might actually encounter in real life than the usual book character. I can't wait to read the next book in the series!
Erin
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
This book was fun, witty, and entertaining! I love the dry, sarcastic characters. It was full of action and witty dialogue!
The Book Trollop
I give this book between a 4-4.5

So this book was definitely NOT one of my "normal" reads and I was hesitant at first to read it because I didn't think I could like it since it was not my normal genre. With that being said, I just had one of those feelings like I need to read this book, you know those feelings you sometimes get when you see a book and you just say ok I should read this, there is something about this book that is intriguing me???
Well, I got that feeling and dove straight in.. I
Rabid Readers Reviews
I hated Frankie. Perhaps before saying that, it should be said that Elegantly Wasted was overall a decent read. I did so hate Frankie. Frankie is a hipster cynic. Everything is wrong with the world and everyone in it including herself. Oh wait, not including her. She sees herself as just that little bit too smart and too cool for everyone else. She’s a raging bitch but, in Frankie’s eyes, only because the evil people around her have made her that way. Everyone around Frankie is simply too evil. ...more
Terry Pruss
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I started reading this book a few months back, then life got in the way, so I had to put it down for a while before finishing it. Once I picked it back up, I wasn't able to put it back down. I synced it between my Kindle and my iphone so that I always had it with me.

Here's what I didnt like:

Some of the characters names were a little hard to believe. It could be just me, but The Beek will always be associated w/ the name Dawson, so reading it and having to associate a Killer with the name Dawson
Beth Johnson
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads
(Disclaimer: I am friends with the author.) Now that's out of the way -- I really liked this book. I thought the concept was fresh and captivating. I mostly liked the characters (Kat irritates me to no end). I didn't grasp the twist until just before the main character did. There were a few grammar/editing issues here and there, but they are small and mostly nitpick-y. Overall, this novel was a wonderful beach read -- fast, funny, and even a little sexy. I am eagerly awaiting the sequel!

(Random
Rebekah
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-read-kindle
I don't read books like this. I read YA-- kissing, teen angst, converse wearing jocks. Not contract killers. And yet, this book sucked me in immediately with its raw characters and unmatched wit. C. Elizabeth Vescio has a grasp on characterization and dialogue that is truly unique. Her ability to breakdown the internal struggles of each character while creating real and humorous banter on the page is an exceptional writing skill. Not to mention a complex plot and sensitive subject matter.

I would
Elizabeth
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting, edgy read. I like that the author has become successful on ebooks without a major publishing deal (book is only $3.99 on Amazon), although major publishing house editing might have helped some of the awkward phrasing. Despite the grammatical distractions, I really liked the book. It is hard to categorize--part violent and suspenseful thriller, part psychological character study, part comedy. In any case, it was hard to put down and I look forward to the author's next boo ...more
Michelle
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. It was dark and witty, the characters were well written for an initial book - if there as sequels I'd love it if the author explores more of each character though. Great twist in the end - totally didn't see it coming and I'm usually good at figuring plot twists out.

Colleen Schindler
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book! The main character, Frankie, is an eccentric contract killer with a cynical sense of humor and a crazy family! Lots of twists and turns, lots of different personalities and locations. Loved it and I'm so happy this is a series because I want to read more!
Katie Edmonds
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Plenty of sarcasm and humor, action and intrigue, and a little good old self discovery: What more could you ask for?

Full review at Bookish Treasures
Kim
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
entertaining. humorous. interesting plot about a family of contract killers.
Catherine
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was fun - I really enjoyed it and the premise of it - would love to follow "the family" further :)
Dannielle Kitchener
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book!! Well written and full of wit, humor and thrill!!! But read if you're cool enough to handle it.
Midwest Galley Girl
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
mggheader2.jpg

Elegantly Wasted

ELEGANTLY WASTED is a lot of things. Funny. Clever. Self-deprecating. It's as if The Godfather mated with Grosse Pointe Blank and rolled around in a Judy Blume novel. Regardless of any comparisons drawn, ELEGANTLY WASTED is a unique delight in a sea of popular and new adult fiction.

There's just something about Frankie you can't stop loving in spite of one little issue. She's a contract killer. A gun for hire. A murderer.

She's conflicted about any number of things...just not about killing peopl
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
So it's no secret that I sometimes complain a lot about the New Adult genre. I think it holds a lot of promise and potential but I keep finding myself wanting more from the books I've read. Elegantly Wasted manages to fit itself into a category of NA books that I have relatively few complaints about. I feel like a lot of NA relies on the storyline of "girl loses boy, girl vows never to fall in love again, girl has crazy sexy times with bad boy who she totally like reforms and stuff". Maybe that' ...more
Paula  Phillips
If you love assassin stories , then Cara's series The Wasted Series is the read for you as we start with the setting of Frankie's grandmother's funeral - the Matriach of the family and we learn that she comes from a family of killers , it felt like a mob family. Frankie was always a bit of a Black sheep and when she graduated High School , she was given a choice to escape the family and become part of an organisation called Osiris or attend college at Dartmouth. She chose the first and travelled ...more
Cara Duryea
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
C. Elizabeth Vescio hits her mark with her first book of the Wasted series, Elegantly Wasted. The book's dark humor plays effectively against the wacky battiness of the characters; creating the perfect storm for the Fairholm women to exorcise demons, both within and without.

Which they do.
As contract killers who operate their agency through a family-owned etiquette company, the Fairholms are thrown together to create a dubious team. Frankie Fairholm is at the helm; her cousins Addie and Kat fulfi
Joy D. Fanning
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
*I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*

I wasn't sure how I would react to this book at first...rich girl turn contract killer. I wasn't sure how relatable the characters would be. Once I started reading this book though, all my concerns flew right out the window. This book kept me wanting more and drew me in quicker than I would have expected.

I liked all the flashbacks, which happen more in the first half of the book. This book reads like a friend is telling you their
Juliet
Dec 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I've been putting off reading these because I wanted to wait and read the whole series together. However, they were on sale and I broke down and bought them for myself and a friend (I'm nice like that!) I had no idea what to expect but the book was really cute. It started out a bit rough and scattered, it's also written in first person which IMO always tends to read a bit ackward. After about 25% though the author finds her stride and the story really picks up. It was cute, I enjoyed it. I also ...more
Kryss Summers
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Elegantly Wasted was a great read. I struggled to put it down so I could get my work done. There were moments I felt like Frankie, there were moments I felt like Addi - Katherine just wasn't my style...

Pop-culture references made the book more real, more like it could be happening to someone right now. - I loved that! Most fiction I've read is historical or fantasy, but the few fiction books I've read outside those genres always felt out-of-date, no matter what technology level- because the cul
Anna
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
I could rate it closer to 3 I guess. I ended up enjoying it enough in theory. I just didn't like the characters voice. As much as I personally have a potty mouth it seemed over the top. The plot seemed slightly juvenile. Maybe if it was billed as YA I could rate it higher. I'm okay with implausible plots but I guessed most of the twists well before the reveal.
Will
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm sure there are many who loved this book, unfortunately, I'm not one of them. Who is the target audience? College aged white girls with snarky attitude?

To sum up, everything is entirely predictable. Each page is littered with 90-00's era pop culture references, and a general theme stolen straight from "Gross Point Blank".

I had higher hopes for this book, but it really let me down
« previous 1 3 4 next »
New Adult Corner: Read to Review: Elegantly Wasted-CLOSED for Sign Up's 1 9 Nov 03, 2015 12:27PM
  • Cutting Deep (The Cut Series, #1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Apart (of me), Part 1 (Season 9, #8)
  • Redemption Red (Love in the Vines, #2)
  • Lady Mechanika #2 (Lady Mechanika, #2)
  • Beneath the Fallen City (The Omni Towers, #1)
  • City of Devils (City of Devils #1)
  • Saving Amy
  • Finding Mia
  • Mandatory Release
  • Clockwork Menagerie (Shadows of Asphodel, #2.5)
  • Club Monstrosity (Monstrosity, #1)
  • Merch Girl
  • A Brand New Ending
  • Removed (The Nogiku Series, #1)
  • A Matter of Truth (Fate, #3)
  • Razorblade Kisses
  • This is the Wonder
  • Night Moves (The Night Songs Collection Book 2)
C. Elizabeth Vescio (or just Cara) is the author of the Wasted Series and Adventures of the Dress. She published her first book, Elegantly Wasted in 2012 and is currently on her 4th book. Cara is a photographer, gamer, cosplayer and animal enthusiast. She lives in Las Vegas with her husband and four mutts. She’s passionate about Shakespeare, Paul Simon and Loki as portrayed by Tom Hiddleson.

Motto:

Wasted Series (4 books)
  • Uncontrollably Wasted (Wasted Series, #2)
  • Wasteland (Wasted Series, #2.5)
  • Totally Wasted (Wasted Series, #3)